• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Ultra high fps is a really curious thing, especially when considering it as a game developer.

My PC is a Surface Book 3 which AFAIK doesn't support >60hz, despite the 1660Ti. It doesn't even support the freesync on my monitor.

At this rate I wonder if I will switch to anything higher than 60hz before 2030 (!)

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Also it's pretty much why i'm leaving consoles, even next gen ones, except for Nintendo (cause really, they have nothing comparable on PC). While consoles will offer 30 fps eye candy modes, 60 fps performance mode, and some small ressource games at 120 fps, it's just not good enough anymore for me.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Go into nvidia control panel set frame rate cap to 141 and turn vsync on in control panel turn GPU to prefer maximum performance. Make sure all games have vsync off in game and your good to go.
"control panel set frame rate cap to 141"
i went to control panel, but i can't find that option, in global or program settings?

also turn vsync on in control panel and in game i put it off?

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
"control panel set frame rate cap to 141"
i went to control panel, but i can't find that option, in global or program settings?

also turn vsync on in control panel and in game i put it off?
Yes global like this
lmo2Hb4.jpg
ShBIffM.jpg

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Say, how do 60fps games look like on a 144hz monitor? Since not all games (particularly smaller, older titles) support higher framerate.
You can run a 144 Hz monitor at 60 Hz.
And adaptive sync ones will do this automatically of course but depending on a model there may be some issues with overdrive artifacts on lower refresh rates.

Also, uh, does this mean movies are smoother on a 144hz monitor (compared to a 120hz)?
Not really, unless you're running them through SVP or similar motion interpolation s/w.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
ok, just teset ori 2, and it's smoother then before, but there is already an option in the game to make it 144fps, why i had to do this step?
There are tons of topics on this in other forums more knowledgeable which is were I get this. But here the short of it

by limiting to 141 in nvidia panel no game will exceed 144 which breaks gsync/freesync and turning on vsync keeps the tearing away below the gsync/freesync threshold.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Go into nvidia control panel set frame rate cap to 141 and turn vsync on in control panel turn GPU to prefer maximum performance. Make sure all games have vsync off in game and your good to go.

You only want to enable maximum performance on a game by game basis or your shut most of the power management for the GPU off when you aren't playing a game.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Playing Doom 2016 from 85-110 FPS with freesync was without a doubt the smoothest gameplay I had all generation. It just feels right.

Glad to see some 120fps games/modes coming out for next-gen. You give up some graphical effects for it, but gain so much in responsiveness, animation smoothness, and image clarity in motion

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It lowers latency by presenting you with frames that are more recent than what you would see at a capped framerate. Really helps improve immersion.
Allowing the GPU to run maxed-out by unlocking the frame rate adds latency.
With a Variable Refresh Rate display (FreeSync/G-Sync) there are negligible (~1-2ms) benefits to disabling V-Sync and running a game at a frame rate which is even several times the refresh rate, and it has the drawback of adding a lot of ugly tearing.
The best thing to do for latency is use the game's own tools to limit the frame rate to 1-3 frames below the maximum refresh rate - or lower if that's required to keep GPU utilization below 95%.
If the game has no option for this, use RTSS. If you prefer not to use other software, the NVIDIA driver's frame rate limiter is equal to RTSS in most cases, but RTSS is slightly better in some situations (possibly all OpenGL games).
Yes, but it's a LOT more noticeable for games controlled by a mouse compared to a controller. We also don't really know how many next gen console games are gonna support high framerates so I would probably hold off on that for a TV purchase.
You need high refresh rates for VRR to work properly at low frame rates on televisions (and most other displays).
  • If a display supports a 40-60Hz VRR range, that can only work for 40-60 FPS.
  • If a display supports a 40-120Hz VRR range, that can work with 0-120 FPS because LFC can display 39 FPS at 78Hz, 38 FPS at 76Hz etc.
I gotta say. I am not super impressed by 144hz so far. Though I haven't played a game my old GPU can output 144hz constantly and I am more usually hovering over 80.
Is that an older fixed-refresh 144Hz display, or a newer VRR display?
If you're using VRR, I strongly recommend that you have the game running in fullscreen exclusive mode rather than borderless/windowed. With NVIDIA GPUs I even disable the windowed G-Sync option.

I tested it again recently, and still had serious stuttering issues with Dead Cells (it's a worst-case test for this).

In this example the game is limited to 60 FPS at 100Hz via RTSS.
RTSS' frame rate display is the orange counter on top, while the yellow counter is the monitor's refresh rate display. Note how it doesn't sync up properly at all in windowed mode, and stutters badly.

If it's a fixed-refresh display you must be running games at a constant 144 FPS with V-Sync enabled, or 72 FPS with half-rate V-Sync. Let V-Sync do the frame rate limiting - don't combine it with another limiter.
Anything else will stutter, and eliminates most of the benefit of having that high refresh rate.
ia 60 fpa va 120fps a huge difference like 30 vs 60?
Personally I feel that the jump from 60 to 90 is as large as 30 to 60.
But some people here act like going from 60 FPS to 240 FPS is nothing at all. I'm inclined to think that many either have things configured wrongly, or don't have a display running at those refresh rates.
To be fair, the jump is magnified with sample and hold technologies. 60hz CRT is incredibly smooth. It's the awful motion resolution with 60hz sample and hold technology has that makes it so impactful.
That's very true.
I wish I could get a new CRT monitor.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
You only want to enable maximum performance on a game by game basis or your shut most of the power management for the GPU off when you aren't playing a game.
GPU power draw isn't full out sure it's higher but even temps aren't much higher you can run that setting anyway you want but if you care about maximizing performance then set how I've shown. Many topics and videos on the topic. Jaytwocents etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, getting a 144hz Gsync monitor was the single most important upgrade I made in the last ~5 years. The jump from 1080P to 4K and introduction of HDR was not nearly as impressive to me.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
There are tons of topics on this in other forums more knowledgeable which is were I get this. But here the short of it

by limiting to 141 in nvidia panel no game will exceed 144 which breaks gsync/freesync and turning on vsync keeps the tearing away below the gsync/freesync threshold.
but i don't have free or gsync in my screen
i can limit the FPS in Ori 2 in game to 141 too (there is slider for that in the options) will that works too?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Is that an older fixed-refresh 144Hz display, or a newer VRR display?
If you're using VRR, I strongly recommend that you have the game running in fullscreen exclusive mode rather than borderless/windowed. With NVIDIA GPUs I even disable the windowed G-Sync option.

I tested it again recently, and still had serious stuttering issues with Dead Cells (it's a worst-case test for this).

It's really more on my 5 year old GPU not being able to output much frames on modern games so I can't really dive into high refresh rates.. I'd have to look what games I have that have low demand. I do notice the increase just through my browser and cursor but I need to look at actual games to get a good taste. My first encounter with higher refresh rates is on my LG OLED which I was surprised it can do so I tried it out immediately lol.

Just got the new ASUS entry level high refresh rate monitor. It's decent but with no GSYNC(don't have an nvidia card at the moment). It does have freesync tho.

Didn't know Dead Cells can go higher than 60. I just assumed sprite based games would be locked to at least 60. Good to know.

I'm looking forward to upgrading once the new components are out so I can finally appreciate high refresh rates.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
i can limit the FPS in Ori 2 in game to 141 too (there is slider for that in the options) will that works too?
No. The recommendation of limiting below the refresh rate is for adaptive sync monitors only. On one without either Gsync or Freesync you just use vsync (or RTSS scanline sync).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
When I got a 144hz monitor, the first thing I did was watch this video

blurbusters.com

World’s First 1080p Embedded 120fps Video Game Recording

UPDATE 2021: For more recent information, see Ultra HFR FAQ IMPORTANT: Below video is for 'true 120Hz' gaming monitors, which can do PC games at 120fps at 120Hz. See Official 120Hz Monitor List. EXCLUSIVE 2013: Hypermatrix of www.120hz.net has successfully created full screen video game play...

Jaw was on the floor.

VRR is the next step, but I think just going past 60 hz is still a bigger impact.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I would not recommend using a frame rate limiter on a fixed-refresh display.
With a fixed-refresh display, games are only going to be truly smooth when running at a consistent frame rate that is a divisor of the refresh rate. At 144Hz that is 144, 72, 48, and 36 FPS.
If a game was running at 100 FPS on this display, it would stutter. Since it cannot reach 144 FPS, the best solution for that is to enable half-refresh V-Sync for that game in the NVIDIA Control Panel. That will sync the game to 72Hz rather than 144Hz.
Without going into all the technical details, this is much better than using a frame rate limit set to 72 FPS, as it ensures you are not going to run into frame-pacing issues - which can be a problem with limiters.

Didn't know Dead Cells can go higher than 60. I just assumed sprite based games would be locked to at least 60. Good to know.
Quite a few recent games do. Hollow Knight is another example which supports high frame rates, rather than being limited to 60.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I adore my 144hz monitor and high fps really helps with immersion, but still think 60 is perfectly fine.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeing a 144hz monitor that's on sale at the moment, but it's only 1080p. It's probably worth waiting around for a deal on a 1440p monitor, right?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Quite a few recent games do. Hollow Knight is another example which supports high frame rates, rather than being limited to 60.

Oooohh. Reinstalling now.

How is higher than 144hz by the way? I guess 144hz is more common but anybody got experience on higher than 144? and how noticeable of a difference was it?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
VRR is more important. As long as Gsync is working, I don't really notice between my UW 1440p 50-120 fps.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
I would not recommend using a frame rate limiter on a fixed-refresh display.
With a fixed-refresh display, games are only going to be truly smooth when running at a consistent frame rate that is a divisor of the refresh rate. At 144Hz that is 144, 72, 48, and 36 FPS.
If a game was running at 100 FPS on this display, it would stutter. Since it cannot reach 144 FPS, the best solution for that is to enable half-refresh V-Sync for that game in the NVIDIA Control Panel. That will sync the game to 72Hz rather than 144Hz.
Without going into all the technical details, this is much better than using a frame rate limit set to 72 FPS, as it ensures you are not going to run into frame-pacing issues - which can be a problem with limiters.

ok, now i understand, thanks
but this is so much hassle, i'll stick to 60FPS
144 was smooth, but not "Crazy" Smooth, at least for me.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I got the lg b9 and connected my PC to it which was a mistake honestly. I an now trying to change my whole setup so I can get a wireless keyboard and mouse working well with it as using my old 1080p 60hz monitor feels just awful.

I don't understand how people don't feeeeeeel the difference. Even moving the mouse around is better

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I got the lg b9 and connected my PC to it which was a mistake honestly. I an now trying to change my whole setup so I can get a wireless keyboard and mouse working well with it as using my old 1080p 60hz monitor feels just awful.

I don't understand how people don't feeeeeeel the difference. Even moving the mouse around is better
As much as I love my high refresh rate monitors and gsync, plain 60 hz never really felt worse or awful afterwards. It's still 60 to me and still works great for games.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I chose a 120hz OLED TV over upgrading to a 144hz monitor so I don't get quite as high, but man I am definitely enjoying 120fps.
I got my RTX PC hooked to my 120hz Oled over my 144hz Monitor. Can't tell the difference between 120-144 honestly. But I can tell the enormous difference in picture quality.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
ok, now i understand, thanks
but this is so much hassle, i'll stick to 60FPS
144 was smooth, but not "Crazy" Smooth, at least for me.
60 doesn't sync to 144.
You need to be running games at 36/48/72/144, or change the refresh rate to 120Hz.
This is why variable refresh rate support is such a big deal. That will sync to anything below the maximum supported refresh rate.

The only thing you have to do for 144Hz though is see whether a game is running at 144 FPS or not - if not, you need to use half-rate V-Sync which will limit it to 72 FPS.
It's frustrating that so few games have that as a built-in option though, and it has to be set via the NVIDIA Control Panel.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My 144hz monitor was one of my best upgrades I'd say, especially since I play a lot of fps games like Overwatch, CSGO, and Valorant. The difference was very noticeable. It does turn my GPU into a space heater though, lol.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
60 doesn't sync to 144.
You need to be running games at 36/48/72/144, or change the refresh rate to 120Hz.
This is why variable refresh rate support is such a big deal. That will sync to anything below the maximum supported refresh rate.

The only thing you have to do for 144Hz though is see whether a game is running at 144 FPS or not - if not, you need to use half-rate V-Sync which will limit it to 72 FPS.
It's frustrating that so few games have that as a built-in option though, and it has to be set via the NVIDIA Control Panel.
ok, so now i have to go to nvidia control panel and set the limit to 72, right?
the Vsync is ON?

Deleted member 40010

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
I have a 144 Hz monitor and I think I can see the difference between 60 Hz and 144 Hz, but it seems very subtle to me. But that's ok, it means that I don't need a high-end graphics card to be happy (especially because I'm fine with 1080p, too).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Completely agree OP, just based on 60 to 120. Not experienced 144.

First time I experienced 120 on my OLED it blew me away. I want to play everything at 120 now. So responsive, so smooth, almost no motion blur. Such a pleasure to play games like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, you mean more than twice the smoothness appears smoother?

Well I'd never...
There's a lot of people that don't realize how big of a difference to go from 60hz to 120/144hz, not only that games would look smoother but they also response noticeably better.

I bought a 120hz monitor back in 2013, by far the most impactful upgrade that I've ever done.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I still find it funny how ERA dismisses 4k out of hand, but demands eye seering refresh rates on the other hand

Sep 22, 2019
It definitely feels better, but honestly, anything that is not 30fps is good enough for gaming with a controller. For FPS the impact is really big though.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys are so dramatic with the 'never go back' thing. Unless you're planning on playing Cyberpunk 2077 with settings that make it look worse than an Xbox One version, you aren't going to be playing it at 144fps. You'll always go back depending on the game.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You need high refresh rates for VRR to work properly at low frame rates on televisions (and most other displays).
  • If a display supports a 40-60Hz VRR range, that can only work for 40-60 FPS.
  • If a display supports a 40-120Hz VRR range, that can work with 0-120 FPS because LFC can display 39 FPS at 78Hz, 38 FPS at 76Hz etc.
I totally wasn't thinking about that FPS range since I personally almost never target it but I'm realizing now that it's definitely something that affects console games capped at 60 more. Though I'm kinda unclear on how the new consoles actually implement it now: do we know that VRR is implemented at the driver level for XSX/PS5 regardless of the game?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it funny how ERA dismisses 4k out of hand, but demands eye seering refresh rates on the other hand
4K requires a 4K display; and that you sit close enough to it for the resolution to matter - closer than most setups.
An example of that would be having to sit within 7ft of a 65" display. Most people would be sitting more in the range of what's ideal for 1440p (10.5ft) or even further than that.
4K resolution also vanishes the instant things start moving on-screen - particularly at low frame rates.

60 FPS requires… any (NTSC) television produced since television was created.
It also doubles the resolution you can see while things are moving on-screen, compared to 30 FPS - and is still far less than 4K.

Going beyond 60 FPS does require new displays, but has been common with PC monitors for more than five years now, and is the big new innovation for TVs this year: HDMI 2.1 having the bandwidth to finally do 4K120 HDR.
This doubles the motion resolution again; but is still far less than 4K.

Motion resolution has fallen far behind static resolution.
Higher frame rates are only one way of improving it, but you really need at least 120 FPS for other methods (such as BFI) to be something that would be acceptable to people on a wide scale. Few people want to see the return of 60Hz flicker.

I totally wasn't thinking about that FPS range since I personally almost never target it but I'm realizing now that it's definitely something that affects console games capped at 60 more. Though I'm kinda unclear on how the new consoles actually implement it now: do we know that VRR is implemented at the driver level for XSX/PS5 regardless of the game?
It should be a system-level feature which is active in all games, but no-one will probably know until they're in people's hands.