• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No, I didn't. This is you having zero empathy for a person having no safety net for almost an entire year trying to catch up on bills. Yes, the scale and severity would be different but again it's not a good place to be for either of them.
It feels so odd reading this when I think about the struggles of raising my family off of $43k net.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The average family in NYC probably doesn't have 2 cars, nor is paying rent and HOA and both working for 100k a year and going to school and paying loans

What you laid out is an outlier

Tuition was for kids not the adults LMAO.
Also they aren't paying rent? How about a mortgage? Are they living for free? I said 1- 2 cars. Many places have HOA fees OR you pay for all the utilities including water. I didn't say the average family. I'm just showing how quickly 100k can be eaten up by a family of 4

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
So instead it's just if you can actually save for retirement making $17,800 pre-tax above SF's low income line for an individual you're not poor and deserve no empathy. Got it.

Oct 25, 2017
So instead it's just if you can actually save for retirement making $17,800 pre-tax above SF's low income line for an individual you're not poor. Got it.
100k for an individual living anywhere in the United States is by definition, not poor.

I assume you are referencing:

For example, HUD defined "Low Income Limits" in San Francisco as $82,200 for an individual and $117,400 for a family of four in 2018, based on 80% of the area's median income. However, the federal poverty guidelines in 2018 were only $12,140 for an individual and $25,100 for a family of four.

Oct 25, 2017
The article clearly lays out the need to have a nuanced discussion on "paycheck to paycheck" and how the inflation of goods relative to salary has screwed things.

100k is both not poor and also not rich. It's sadly what "middle class" has become for many folks in larger metro areas. We do very well for ourselves but one town over are people with summer homes larger than my entire property line.

I think there's a real discussion to be had on the cost of many things we take for granted within the US. School, child care and medical are all astronomical cost factors. Never mind how ridiculously hard it is to own a home now given the massive inflation there.

It's simply just more expensive to get by now than it was a few decades back. This article notes this in an attempt to address it but frames it poorly by using paycheck to paycheck.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao!

I'll just be over here in Vancouver with my just under $50,000 a year annual income crying of laughter.

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
My point is it just sounds like people have just become so brow-beaten by capitalism that this is the line they're fine with. When I feel it should be better than that. What people consider barely not poor here should be the standard of poor of like the richest nation in the world.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I actually disagree...

We need a narrower definition of paycheck to paycheck. Not some broader one.
I actually agree with this.

Then again, I've been forced to realize lately that I'm getting older.

Once upon a time, "paycheck to paycheck" meant "if I miss a pay period, I might end up out on the street."

Nothing I see described in this thread in support of the 100kers comes close to that. It's a debate of comfort. Not immediate needs, which is what defines "paycheck to paycheck" imo.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My point is it just sounds like people have just become so brow-beaten by capitalism that this is the line they're fine with. When I feel it should be better than that. What people consider barely not poor here should be the standard of poor of like the richest nation in the world.

Yes I am fine with saying making 100k a year is not poverty.

I also don't believe that when push comes to shove these 100k people are going to show class solidarity with the working poor.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Once upon a time, "paycheck to paycheck" meant "if I miss a pay period, I might end up out on the street."

Nothing I see described in this thread in support of the 100kers comes close to that. It's a debate of comfort. Not immediate needs, which is was defines "paycheck to paycheck" imo.
Which is what the definition should be.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't go far when you live in a big city and you're not a super frugal person..but hypothetically you could absolutely save *some* money if you make compromises.
I make around 100k living in LA and am able to put away around 1600 a month into my 401K and stock portfolio and just dropped my entire yearly bonus into investments as well. It can be done.

That being said I have no dependents which certainly helps in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing I see described in this thread in support of the 100kers comes close to that. It's a debate of comfort. Not immediate needs, which is what defines "paycheck to paycheck" imo.
Because that is the foundational definition that I thought everyone agreed with, it appears I had a massive misunderstanding of what people viewed it as.

I'm living paycheck to paycheck implies if I miss a paycheck I'm screwed. It doesn't mean, I'm going to have to balance Blue Apron, Ipsy, and Stance sub's.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because that is the foundational definition that I thought everyone agreed with, it appears I had a massive misunderstanding of what people viewed it as.

I'm living paycheck to paycheck implies if I miss a paycheck I'm screwed. It doesn't mean, I'm going to have to balance Blue Apron, Ipsy, and Stance sub's.

so for some millenials living "paycheck to paycheck" means they would need to not eat avocado toast for 1 week, instead of being throw out from their homes?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

This is 100% true. I agree with your definition and agree that it's a debate over comfort, not survival. That said, what actually matters is assessing "discretionary post-tax income, indexed for the cost of living." That's comparing, sometimes literally, apples to apples.

Again, before someone else selectively quotes me: 100k is not "paycheck to paycheck" anywhere.

But if the operative metric is assessing qualitative questions like "how often can you and your family of 4 go out to dinner a month?" it's not like the 100k-in-NYC folks are living especially large compared to the family in Omaha.

I think that's actually a good conversation to have! It's not the topic of this thread, but it's a worthwhile topic nonetheless.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I am fine with saying making 100k a year is not poverty.

I also don't believe that when push comes to shove these 100k people are going to show class solidarity with the working poor.
I mean, even a lot of working poor don't have class solidarity with other working poor.

Anti-immigrant and NIMBY sentiments are very strong in general here, even in liberal areas.

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
So you don't agree at all with the cost of things rising and outpacing salaries, nor that it's entirely possible for a family earning 100k to be paycheck to paycheck?
A family earning 100k? Maybe, yeah. I think some folks are talking about single millennials, and others are talking about family, whereas the conversation's only useful if you standardize (i.e. assume 2.2 kids or whatever the figure is these days). NYC with 4 kids is a hugely different scenario than SF as a single person.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even a lot of working poor don't have class solidarity with other working poor.

Alrighty then.

So you don't agree at all with the cost of things rising and outpacing salaries, nor that it's entirely possible for a family earning 100k to be paycheck to paycheck?

To the tune of a significant number rather than outliers?

No, especially when we're talking individual incomes not household income

Unless you think the majority of that 60% are single earner households with children... which I do not.

Oct 25, 2017
A family earning 100k? Maybe, yeah. I think some folks are talking about single millennials, and others are talking about family, whereas the conversation's only useful if you standardize (i.e. assume 2.2 kids or whatever the figure is these days).

Well isn't that just the problem with these studies? They're often taken as blanket generalizations rather than splitting out the stats.

Oct 25, 2017
Alrighty then.

To the tune of a significant number rather than outliers?

No, especially when we're talking individual incomes not household income

Unless you think the majority of that 60% are single earner households with children... which I do not.

So then what is the appropriate cutoff and demographic point for someone to be allowed to say they live paycheck to paycheck

It also doesn't state who is of the survey. It says "they're likely HENRY"

Jun 10, 2018

There are likely people in this thread who come from backgrounds where they never had to experience hunger, shut off utilities, and constant eviction notices/threats of homelessness - sometimes all at once. They have no idea how on the edge life can become after one missed paycheck, and conflate the former with the same as cutting back on eating out, vacationing, and QoL services.

It's not a knock on them, they're just using the phrase in the wrong way.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So then what is the appropriate cutoff and demographic point for someone to be allowed to say they live paycheck to paycheck
No idea but we're talking broad statistics here

Unless you can really show me otherwise I'm pretty comfortable saying most people making 100k are not by the proper definition living paycheck to paycheck

Oct 25, 2017
i mean it is an exagerattion from my part, but my point is that for some people "paycheck to paycheck" is just actually changing how they live, not actually losing their house
Then that is a fundamental poor understanding of paycheck to paycheck. Traditionally, rather from my perspective, this has been a phrase used to discuss the struggles of the working poor. There isn't anywhere else to cut back, they already struggle with trying to balance food, electricity, gas for the car, and whether or not their son or daughter can get a new pair of shoes or if they need to keep wearing the ones their sibling gave them. A lost paycheck isn't going to mean no avocado toast this week, it is going to mean we need to hit up some food bank.

To see anyone, a millennial or otherwise, try to co-opt that phrase to discuss the issues they are having surviving on 100k is as I said earlier in this thread stupidly offensive and callous.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Well isn't that just the problem with these studies? They're often taken as blanket generalizations rather than splitting out the stats.

Agreed. That's why I was pulling up bank statements last night, because I wanted actual data.
Define necessities -- food, shelter, health insurance premiums, and I'll even throw in child care expenses.

If you cannot absorb one month's expenses out of savings or changing your lifestyle to reduce expenses (i.e., selling things or getting a roommate), and you need that next paycheck to cover those necessities even in part, then you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I would also argue that some lifestyle changes are unreasonable to consider... a family of 4 can't get a random roommate, whereas the single millennial in DC/NYC/SF probably should.

I mean, I'm not trying to overcomplicate it... it really is self-explanatory, I think.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I converted 100k USD to my currency and I earn less than 20% of that yearly. I can live a comfortable life if I use my money more practically. If you double my my money now, I'd feel like I have too much lol.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then that is a fundamental poor understanding of paycheck to paycheck. Traditionally, rather from my perspective, this has been a phrase used to discuss the struggles of the working poor. There isn't anywhere else to cut back, they already struggle with trying to balance food, electricity, gas for the car, and whether or not their son or daughter can get a new pair of shoes or if they need to keep wearing the ones their sibling gave them.

To see anyone, a millennial or otherwise, try to co-opt that phrase to discuss the issues they are having surviving on 100k is as I said earlier in this thread stupidly offense and callous.
And those feelings are wrong, what do you want me to say

im agreeing with you both

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems like people keep talking past each other. Some people are saying that yes in many places making 100k and with potential children can make life more difficult to live and you might not have months of savings while others are just stating that it's not the same as living paycheck to paycheck. 60% of millennials making that much are not going into eviction/food insecurity after a month of no income.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
These threads/discussions always seem like a slap in the face to anyone that has been truly poor. Though it sucked at the time, I'm glad I gained some perspective from being "50 dollars away from being on the street" poor before earning enough to live comfortably.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. That's why I was pulling up bank statements last night, because I wanted actual data.

Define necessities -- food, shelter, health insurance premiums, and I'll even throw in child care expenses.

If you cannot absorb one month's expenses out of savings or changing your lifestyle to reduce expenses (i.e., selling things or getting a roommate), and you need that next paycheck to cover those necessities even in part, then you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I would also argue that some lifestyle changes are unreasonable to consider... a family of 4 can't get a random roommate, whereas the single millennial in DC/NYC/SF probably should.

I mean, I'm not trying to overcomplicate it... it really is self-explanatory, I think.

I agree on all counts. I just hate these threads that happen from articles that down lay out the finite data of those surveyed. They often feel intentional this way to do precisely what this thread is doing.

Whether you're making 50k or 100k at the end of the day the cost to live in the US is much higher than it was in 1995 let alone 1965. Food and shelter just cost more.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These threads/discussions always seem like a slap in the face to anyone that has been truly poor. Though it sucked at the time, I'm glad I gained some perspective from being "50 dollars away from being on the street" poor before earning enough to live comfortably.

While I agree that we have to acknowledge how being in poverty living paycheck to paycheck much worse experience than what is being talked about in here I don't like doing this as it reminds me of that fox news image of "how can you be poor if you have a refrigerator". Otherwise you could say many people talking about living in poverty in the US is a slap in the face to people making less than a dollar a day in other parts of the world.

Jun 10, 2018
Yep. As someone who lived under parents who were very much paycheck to paycheck as I described, this fervor to try and get poverty points by people who make $100K is out of touch at best.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that we have to acknowledge how being in poverty living paycheck to paycheck much worse experience than what is being talked about in here I don't like doing this as it reminds me of that fox news image of "how can you be poor if you have a refrigerator"

Absolutely nothing here is comparable to you're not poor if you have a fridge, and I think it really undercuts the cruelty of that statement when you water it down.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that we have to acknowledge how being in poverty living paycheck to paycheck much worse experience than what is being talked about in here I don't like doing this as it reminds me of that fox news image of "how can you be poor if you have a refrigerator". Otherwise you could say many people talking about living in poverty in the US is a slap in the face to people making less than a dollar a day in other parts of the world.

I don't know how you turned that thing the other way around but you did.

I think my final thought will be this. I have empathy for these people, but they have to realize in terms of income equality they are doing pretty damn good for themselves. If they want things to improve for themselves, worry more about others doing way way worse and push for changes there. The effects will bubble up and you won't look out of touch.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely nothing here is comparable to you're not poor if you have a fridge, and I think it really undercuts the cruelty of that statement when you water it down.

Sorry if I'm phrasing this badly but my sense from the post was you can't talk about difficulties after making a certain amount which I think I misinterpreted so my apologies

But I think I'm talking past the article itself into more into the discussions that have popped up in here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you turned that thing the other way around but you did.

I think my final thought will be this. I have empathy for these people, but they have to realize in terms of income equality they are doing pretty damn good for themselves. If they want things to improve for themselves, worry more about others doing way way worse and push for changes there. The effects will bubble up and you won't look out of touch.

I completely agree with this. Ultimately we can do much better for all of the country and you have to acknowledge what everyone else is going through even if it may seem difficult for you. I will say that I think that the actual rich loves watching lower and middle class people fight over their difficulties while they get to continue to amass wealth, so while we have to acknowledge privilege ultimately the fight should be with those at the top who have no actual problems whatsoever

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

It's bizarre, some people on here sounding off like they are on My Super Sweet 16. Comparing not living life to not having a luxury car lol

Completely detached from the reality of people who are struggling.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean no... I think this forum believes most millennials aren't making 100k and therefore are in a lot worse shape than the 60% of 100k Millenials who claim to be living paycheck to paycheck

Then stop reinforcing bad arguments because you dislike this particular set of facts.

If anything the fact that relatively higher earners are feeling the squeeze due to ballooning housing costs and debt just supports how much worse off relatively lower earners are.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Then stop reinforcing bad arguments because you dislike this particular set of facts.

If anything the fact that relatively higher earners are feeling the squeeze due to ballooning housing costs and debt just supports how much worse off relatively lower earners are.

What bad arguments? That 100k isn't poverty and on majority average is not actually living paycheck to paycheck?

If anything what helps Republicans is adopting the language of the working poor to talk about people making 100k

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
When you make 100k or more, you don't love like you make 30k. Simple.

Life style changes, and no you aren't making 8k a month, there are taxes involved etc.

Oct 25, 2017
When you make 100k or more, you don't love like you make 30k. Simple.

Life style changes, and no you aren't making 8k a month, there are taxes involved etc.
But your lifestyle shouldn't change because as we have clearly shown by this thread, 100k is not a great deal of money in NYC, its effectively poor or so I'm being told.

I have continually broken down the tax argument, it isn't nearly as much as people are making it out to be. Single 100k income, no kids/no spouse, in NYC, you are looking at a 30% tax rate.