• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I can maybe understand this if these people have kids, but if these are single earners then they're living way beyond their means. I work in NYC and make less than half that and I wouldn't even consider myself living paycheck to paycheck.

Dec 12, 2017
Wishing you and yours a speedy trip into the gentle embrace of the American Healthcare System.
I don't understand what you're trying to get at. Doubting that even a majority of those 60 percent are in medical doesn't equate to me supporting out healthcare system.

These are high earners who.most likely have healthcare coverage. While yes,
Some are high deductible plans that still shouldn't lead a 6 figure earner to living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm just using some deductive reasoning

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I can maybe understand this if these people have kids, but if these are single earners then they're living way beyond their means. I work in NYC and make less than half that and I wouldn't even consider myself living paycheck to paycheck.

Well, the article does specifically state childcare as one of the expenses that is causing them to live paycheck to paycheck I think it safe to assume that they have kids and are not single earners.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I think that's needlessly cruel, despite the ignorance. US society crushes all with enough debt already.
That's the point. We have a hideous medical debt crisis in this country. I make just about 100k per year but I have a disabled spouse unable to work and medical debt that makes every month a struggle for survival. So all the financial experts in this thread talking about how we're just lazy deserve to walk a mile in our shoes.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I don't understand what you're trying to get at. Doubting that even a majority of those 60 percent are in medical doesn't equate to me supporting out healthcare system.

These are high earners who.most likely have healthcare coverage. While yes,
Some are high deductible plans that still shouldn't lead a 6 figure earner to living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm just using some deductive reasoning
If you think it's easy to get by in America with medical debt and caring for a disabled family member, and that insurance is in any way reliable, I hope you get the opportunity to try it.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the article does specifically state childcare as one of the expenses that is causing them to live paycheck to paycheck I think it safe to assume that they have kids and are not single earners.

I was assuming a lot of these stats were pulled from single people because the majority of people with kids would have a spouse to help with income. Even if the spouse makes only half their income that's a lot of extra money. Unless they have like 3+ kids that still seems off.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm wishing everyone in this thread saying that being irresponsible is the only explanation some really expensive medical debt.
I think it goes without saying the people who are pointing to financial illiteracy and poor money management skills as the shared denominator are obviously excluding outlier situations such as people stuck with exceedingly high medical costs.

It's more a generality than a rigid rule of thumb.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The average millennial is going to be in their early to mid 30's at this point and should probably be presumed to have children.

Oct 25, 2017
If you think it's easy to get by in America with medical debt and caring for a disabled family member, and that insurance is in any way reliable, I hope you get the opportunity to try it.
Read the room. No one is assuming that medical debt is easy, that isn't remotely what the thread was about. We are talking about people who are earning $100,000 a year, who more than likely have full benefits and retirement savings that are complaining they are living paycheck to paycheck.

Again, for those that seem to not understand the issue: There are plenty of people out there that are living in the exact same areas that are dealing with the exact same issues as you, childcare, medical bills, debt, emergencies, etc. that are making FAR less than $100,000 a year. Stop complaining about making $100,000 a year, it truly comes across as offensively stupid and callous.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I was assuming a lot of these stats were pulled from single people because the majority of people with kids would have a spouse to help with income. Even if the spouse makes only half their income that's a lot of extra money. Unless they have like 3+ kids that still seems off.

Look into the cost of child care it is insane.

I know a number of couples were one of them have had to give up on their career because they were losing money when both of them were working.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Why not? It's apparently very easy to deal with if you are not financially illiterate.

But yes, me using the phrasing I did to get someone to think about how a situation might affect their perspective is definitely the problem here.

there are better ways instead of being snide. that's usually counterproductive.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are are some social studies out there showing how poor people can manage their salary more efficiently than wealthy people. I guess the statement in the op shows that.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Read the room. No one is assuming that medical debt is easy, that isn't remotely what the thread was about. We are talking about people who are earning $100,000 a year, who more than likely have full benefits and retirement savings that are complaining they are living paycheck to paycheck.
We can have threads about the exploding cost of housing, the student debt crisis, the absurd larcenous cost of US healthcare and everyone agrees this is terrible. But as soon as someone suggests that these might have an effect, even on people who make over an expected income level, then it's time to read the room?

The room just spent 8 pages telling me that I am irresponsible and deserve my situation, and that no one here would ever end up in that situation. I read the room and I'm making it clear that based on the lack of empathy displayed, I think the room is full of assholes.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I have a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.

YOLO. Also, you only live once.

It cited the example of a college-educated 35-year-old earning more than $100,000 while juggling a mortgage, student-loan debt, and a child, which could leave them with little savings for big purchases or unexpected emergencies.

Article also points out that 100k is considered middle class now.

I didn't see anything about if living paycheck to paycheck meant there were minimal pre-tax/payroll deductions included.

My husband and I don't live paycheck to paycheck exactly, but there's weeks when the "entire paycheck" goes to expenses and weeks when it doesn't. However, we also save close to 20% because the paycheck is post-deductions/tax/etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
We can have threads about the exploding cost of housing, the student debt crisis, the absurd larcenous cost of US healthcare and everyone agrees this is terrible. But as soon as someone suggests that these might have an effect, even on people who make over an expected income level, then it's time to read the room?

The room just spent 8 pages telling me that I am irresponsible and deserve my situation, and that no one here would ever end up in that situation. I read the room and I'm making it clear that based on the lack of empathy displayed, I think the room is full of assholes.
Quote me one person who says that your medical debt is your fault and you deserve to be in the situation that you are in. Because that is exactly what you have turned this into.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
One of the big things is food costs. Millennials tend to eat outside the home more often, or order in rather than cook for themselves at home. We don't have too much downtime. The only reason I feel like I cook is because I do that as a job...my wife is clueless about cooking she just spends money on take out.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think anyone in this thread is ignoring people who are faced with overwhelming medical debt.

But that's also because the article this thread is based on is largely not about that.

Also, the extreme cost of healthcare in the United States impacts everyone. Not just those who make six figures a year.

Dec 12, 2017
I don't if you're purposefully being obtuse, but while what you're describing a very realistic scenario, is not the norm for people who are making 6 figures. Therefore it's hardly a reason to justify that 60% of those earners living paycheck to paycheck. If you ACTUALLY read the article, the reason is mostly lifestyle creep and choices. NOT medical debt.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Cost of living must be on another level in the US if that's true. In Germany you would live like a king with that salary.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote me one person who says that your medical debt is your fault and you deserve to be in the situation that you are in. Because that is exactly what you have turned this into.
First page:
Depends where you live but if you're making that much and are living pay check to pay check then your spending is out of control.
Even in places with high cost of living, if you're living paycheck to paycheck making over $100k/year then its your own fault.
There's no fucking way I'd be living paycheck to paycheck on $100k a year.

knowing how awful personal finance knowledge is in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that 60% is living well beyond their means.
Even in SF, LA, or NYC, a salary of $100k is going to leave funds for savings. $100k is not "stupid rich" in these cities, but it's also FAR from broke.

You're only living paycheck-to-paycheck if you're going out to dinner every night, doing a lot of travelling, shows, etc.

It's like anything else, you either budget or you don't.

I saw a LOT of folks in the Bay Area who I knew in college have their spending increase linearly with their income. Those that didn't, have done well for themselves.

I mean, you don't need to live like a broke student, eating nothing but Ramen noodles, but if your first inclination when you get a raise or bonus is to go get a new car, upgrade your wardrobe (not everything needs to be designer made), or plan a trip to Europe, you're going to always be paycheck-to-paycheck.
Yeah that's just irresponsible, I'm sorry. Unless you're drowning in student loans or are the loan earner for a family, even in NYC you really shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck on a 6 figure salary.
So they're either bad with money or bad with money

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I don't buy it, you have to be really fucking bad with money to be living paycheck to paycheck on a 100K income. I could somewhat understand if you're living in New York or LA, but someone's not teaching these people money management skills

Oct 25, 2017
I notice none of those are talking about people who had a medical emergency and are now saddled with debt, did I miss something?

Did you even read the article?

Let me help you out:

That means high-earning millennials aren't the only ones feeling stretched thin, but they feel that way more than their six-figure making peers. Living on constrained budgets may therefore have less to do with income and more to do with expenses, the report says.

That's partly due to lifestyle choices. Many of these millennials are likely HENRYs — short for high earner, not rich yet. The acronym that was invented back in 2003, but has come to characterize a certain group of 30-something six-figure earners who struggle to balance their spending and savings habits.

HENRYs typically fall victim to lifestyle creep, when one increases their standard of living to match a rise in discretionary income. They prefer a comfortable and often expensive lifestyle that leaves them living paycheck to paycheck.

On average, this isn't about someone with excessive medical debt, it is about people who are trying to follow the influencers and are living beyond their means. Are there individuals out there with excessive medical debt that are in this situation, of course, but they aren't remotely in the majority.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
they also made a bad financial decision.

I don't know how to feel about the implication that poor people make bad financial decisions when they have kids while poor.

At least, to me, when I hear that, it sounds like the implication is that poor people should make "good" financial decisions to not have kids?

Dec 12, 2017

When the fucking article actually spells out the reason for this statistic showing exactly what the cause for this is, and you keep on harping on one reason, we're not the assholes. I'm sure there are some of that 60% is living paycheck to paycheck due to medical but that's not the reason for most. That's what the article says. You'd know if you actually read it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
When the fucking article actually spells out the reason for this statistic showing exactly what the cause for this is, and you keep on harping on one reason, we're not the assholes.

No no you see

We're the assholes for addressing the article

And that poster is a hero for wishing cancer or a near fatal car wreck upon us.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

People aren't pointing at your specific situation and shitting on you though. People are talking in generalities in response to a piece of data. Obviously, everyone in here is aware that their could be a tragic set of circumstances that makes the generality incorrect, but that's baked into the idea of talking in generalities (which we have to do when talking about general trends), I don't expect people to speak in a way that covers every situation.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I live off of $10,000 due to disability and making it work somehow. Once through school I can finally get out of lifelong poverty.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or you could understand even in your situation you still have it better than like 2/3rds of Americans.

While I'm all for helping people like you in your situation what bothers me is a ton of people in your situation don't understand how much worse it is for a large swath of largely non college educated Americans.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I notice none of those are talking about people who had a medical emergency and are now saddled with debt, did I miss something?

Did you even read the article?

Let me help you out:

On average, this isn't about someone with excessive medical debt, it is about people who are trying to follow the influencers and are living beyond their means. Are there individuals out there with excessive medical debt that are in this situation, of course, but they aren't remotely in the majority.
When the fucking article actually spells out the reason for this statistic showing exactly what the cause for this is, and you keep on harping on one reason, we're not the assholes. I'm sure there are some of that 60% is living paycheck to paycheck due to medical but that's not the reason for most. That's what the article says. You'd know if you actually read it.
No no you see

We're the assholes for addressing the article

And that poster is a hero for wishing cancer or a near fatal car wreck upon us.
Or you could understand even in your situation you still have it better than like 2/3rds of Americans.
You're all right. I got angry and made something about me that wasn't. And in doing that I ignored all the people who are struggling even harder than I am.

I apologize for being snide and derailing the thread.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wishing everyone in this thread saying that being irresponsible is the only explanation some really expensive medical debt.
Here's the thing: if this wasn't the result of an analysis of 60% of millennials who make this much, you might have had a point, but the idea that even a majority of these are due to expenditures outside of their control like medicals bills and not people spending more on expensive lifestyles than they can actually afford (which is the point of the article, mind you) is extremely unlikely, and you hiding this entire group behind such a strawman and wishing others a terrible fate is a problem in its own right.

Nov 11, 2017
2021 and people, even more informed people on this message board, still think millennials are spending too much on avocados and there have been no other changes in the last few generations.

Oct 25, 2017
You're all right. I got angry and made something about me that wasn't. And in doing that I ignored all the people who are struggling even harder than I am.

I apologize for being snide and derailing the thread.
Its all good, I think in general the majority on this forum and probably off this forum recognize that our healthcare system is fundamentally broken. I'm currently paying $500+ a month for medical for my wife, son, myself; it has a $7,000 deductible (I make $58k gross). Currently have an appointment for tubes in my sons ears.
2021 and people, even more informed people on this message board, still think millennials are spending too much on avocados and there have been no other changes in the last few generations.
It isn't avocado toast; there are escalating costs of living, but those costs of living are felt across the board. The same issues that you are dealing with making $100,000 a year are felt by the McDonalds working making $30,000.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

I don't think anybody is disputing this reality.

I think the problem comes when you try to frame this reality around people who are making 100k a year and are, by their own admission, spending a lot of that money trying to "keep up with the Jones'" as it were...

It's a misrepresentation of the millennial generation; the majority of whom I'm going to guess are not making close to that much, and have a much more intimate understanding of what it means to live paycheck to paycheck.