• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a male manager and I don't struggle with worrying about this. Perhaps because I'm not a misogynistic shit. I dunno.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it that hard to turn your dick off at work? I work in an environment where 80% of my coworkers and clients are women and I've never had an issue. If anything, I have to shrug off inappropriate comments (mostly from clients, but coworkers will encourage it or joke about it when it happens).

Just become asexual when you clock in. Don't say shitty things to people or ogle anyone and you won't have a problem. When in doubt, just don't.
Sounds like you have had an issue, the issue just isn't your behavior but rather other peoples' behavior. You shouldn't shrug that off, say something. I took the same approach when I was being sexually harassed in the workplace and it turns out there were other people getting worse harassment than I was. If I had said something to my boss or HR instead of waiting till they came to me, something couldve been done sooner.

More than that, no one should be harassing you in the workplace. If you are respecting others but they aren't respecting you, that's wrong.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be based off an online poll.
Notes on Methodology
  1. This SurveyMonkey online poll was conducted February 22-March 1, 2019, among a national sample of 5,182 adults in the U.S. ages eighteen and older. The modeled error estimate is +/- 2 percentage points. Unless otherwise noted, all statistics are from the February 22-March 1, 2019 SurveyMonkey poll. Data for all surveys have been weighted for age, race, sex, education, and geography using the Census Bureau's American Community Survey to reflect the demographic composition of the United States age eighteen and over.
  2. This SurveyMonkey online poll was conducted January 23–25, 2018, among a national sample of 2,950 employed adults. The modeled error estimate is +/-2.5% percentage points.
  3. This SurveyMonkey online poll was conducted March 6-10, 2019, among 3,556 adults with a modeled error estimate of +/- 2.5 percentage points.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I mean don't grope them, cat call them, or say they have nice tits and/or a sweet ass. Is that so hard?

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Previous places i worked wouldn't allow male managers to be alone with female employees. There had to be a woman manger present for 1 on 1s or reprimands. This was well before me too.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's two different levels of being uncomfortable.

There's the Mike Pence weirdo "I don't want to cheat on my wife" uncomfortable.

Then there's the uncomfortable from the level of the company, which has nothing to do with being a creep or trying to sexually harass someone, but rather company policies that make it more uncomfortable than it should be.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
This probably will not be a popular opinion here, but alot of times it has nothing to do with the male manager. I am a man and was a manager at a large retail chain for about 7 years with men and women both reporting to me. I am happily married with a child, and i do not have a wandering eye, and treated everyone the same.

This is not me being sexist, I do not think all women are to blame in these many, many stories we read that have come out about sexism in the workplace, sexual harassment / assault, etc. I am not victim blaming. A male manager could have an exemplary job performance, and be extremely professional to everyone, and all it would take is one rumor to fly around, one woman to say something, and it spreads like wildfire. How many people on this forum have office jobs? Then you see how quickly misinformation can spread around.

As far as HR is concerned, they will cut ties with a male manager over the slightest thing when it comes to the opposite sex. It wouldnt matter if it was unsubstantiated or not. This did not happen to me, but i saw it happen to alot of people over the years i worked there.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you have had an issue, the issue just isn't your behavior but rather other peoples' behavior. You shouldn't shrug that off, say something. I took the same approach when I was being sexually harassed in the workplace and it turns out there were other people getting worse harassment than I was. If I had said something to my boss or HR instead of waiting till they came to me, something couldve been done sooner.

More than that, no one should be harassing you in the workplace. If you are respecting others but they aren't respecting you, that's wrong.
It doesn't significantly bother me, to be honest. And I'm a contract worker so I do 2-3 months in a facility and then go to another one. Most of the time I'm switching back and forth between one of the 4-5 facilities that consistently need me there every once in a while. If I go in and make waves, they're not going to ask me to come back. It's just part of the job to me.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalizing Sexism; Previous Severe Infraction for Excusing Bigotry
I think the managers are just hesitant to be put into a situation where it's a he said, she said thing that could ruin your life. And in the current climate, for good reason, the she said has more power.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Don't be a fucking piece of human shit and there won't be anything to be scared of. Goddamn men can be so fucking dumb when it comes to this kinda shit. Me and my best friend are both managers in healthcare where most of our reps are female and we've never had a single complaint. It's really not hard to be professional.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't significantly bother me, to be honest. And I'm a contract worker so I do 2-3 months in a facility and then go to another one. Most of the time I'm switching back and forth between one of the 4-5 facilities that consistently need me there every once in a while. If I go in and make waves, they're not going to ask me to come back. It's just part of the job to me.
This is why people don't report sexual harassment. I mean I get in, I've been in this situation before and I had plenty of reasons for not saying anything also. I'm just saying that if no one ever says anything, nothing changes. I regret not saying anything sooner. You don't have to obviously, and I'm not judging you if you just wanna ignore it, but it just makes me sad to see.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thats ridiculous. Plain and simple.

I do know some guys in abusive relationships that don't feel comfortable in those listed situations because they are afraid of what their significant other will say or do if they found out but other than that....

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Is it that hard to turn your dick off at work? I work in an environment where 80% of my coworkers and clients are women and I've never had an issue. If anything, I have to shrug off inappropriate comments (mostly from clients, but coworkers will encourage it or joke about it when it happens).

Just become asexual when you clock in. Don't say shitty things to people or ogle anyone and you won't have a problem. When in doubt, just don't.
Wait, your example of everything being ok is that you are sexually harassed at work?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are very good reasons why male managers would want to be careful when socializing with female subordinates when outside of work.

Even if your behavior and intentions are totally above board, the appearance that it might be otherwise can screw your career.

Internal policies that you don't do this (outside of official work functions) aren't rare at all, and im saying this as an HR professional.
Thats a good point.

Male manager hangs out with female employee outside of work like they would any other guy.
She is great at her job, get a promotion but she is instead seen as "you probably slept with male manager and thats why you got he raise, we know you guys hang out".

I am sure that scenario is far less than the majority that just don't think they can control themselves but I find it hard to believe the entire 60% is like that.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm not a manager but like... I dont get it. I've never had to worry about HR issues.

Just don't be gross?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There are very good reasons why male managers would want to be careful when socializing with female subordinates when outside of work.

Even if your behavior and intentions are totally above board, the appearance that it might be otherwise can screw your career.

Internal policies that you don't do this (outside of official work functions) aren't rare at all, and im saying this as an HR professional.

Never known of a professional setting where people need to be that careful hanging out with colleagues. Ever.

This is some alarmist nonsense to be honest.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Did you know you can be friends with a woman, as a man?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want to be in a one on one social situation with a woman subordinate. Could end up with bad rumors for both. I've heard those "sleeping with the boss" rumors before.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a manager but like... I dont get it. I've never had to worry about HR issues.

Just don't be gross?
Either have I.
I do think a decent number of that group aren't worried about HR issues and more just fellow employees talking and being shitty.

I remember lots of jobs. I hang out with a guy I work with, people don't even second guess, I hang out with a girl I work with and people start asking questions.

I could only imagine that getting worse when a hierarchy is involved.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda noticed this when our previous female manager left and they hired a male replacement. Our team is like 70% women.

You could tell he didnt quite know what the right tone was for the women staff and was always been awkwardly careful sometimes to not sound too bossy while trying to sound bossy. With the Male staff the dude was much always more direct and forward.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
These people shouldn't be managers.

Fucking bang. Just treat everyone like, you know, human beings and it's a non-issue. During my time in leadership I managed more women than men and they're all individuals with their own personalities, thoughts, and feelings regardless of gender, race, age, or orientation. Put those individual talents, strengths, and life experiences to work for you because every one is an asset.

If you can't deal without generalizing people, then get the fuck out. Those you're managing deserve better.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I think the managers are just hesitant to be put into a situation where it's a he said, she said thing that could ruin your life. And in the current climate, for good reason, the she said has more power.
"the current climate"
looks at most recently elected president
looks at most recently confirmed supreme court justice

Ok sure

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite kind of work environment is one where there's a healthy mix of men and women, young and old both. That just seems to foster an all around balanced and respectful social atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a good point.

Male manager hangs out with female employee outside of work like they would any other guy.
She is great at her job, get a promotion but she is instead seen as "you probably slept with male manager and thats why you got he raise, we know you guys hang out".

I am sure that scenario is far less than the majority that just don't think they can control themselves but I find it hard to believe the entire 60% is like that.

Except his point is claiming men ought to avoid being friends with women at work because it could ruin his career not that assholes will be sexist to her

His entire concern is about how women can ruin things for men.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, your example of everything being ok is that you are sexually harassed at work?
I mean if it was anything that really bothered me, I would talk privately to the coworker about it or, if it was a client, have them reassigned to someone else. But I haven't had to do that yet. I work in nursing homes. My clients are disabled, elderly women. I'm an able-bodied man, and the provider in a healthcare provider-patient relationship with each client. I have the "power" in most situations that occur just by virtue of the space I occupy in the environment I'm in.

On the other hand, I have had clients with histories of sexual trauma or others with a history of reporting sexual harassment. In those cases, most of the time my manager will inform me and ask that I have a woman coworker with me during interactions. I always comply with that because it makes things more comfortable for myself and for the client.

Edit: My posts weren't meant to minimize the effects of sexual harassment. It's just not really a huge issue for me personally. My point was more that I'm in an upper-handed position in an environment with many more woman than man coworkers. Same with clients. And it's not hard to avoid being a piece of shit. If women just went out throwing accusations for a payday, I would be a prime target. And yet there's no problem.

Last edited:

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
You'd think this is an easy topic to not have a shitty opinion about, but guys still manage.
It's impressive really.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Except his point is claiming men ought to avoid being friends with women at work because it could ruin his career not that assholes will be sexist to her

His entire concern is about how women can ruin things for men.
I can see that a bit in a re-read.
I didn't see it as how women can ruin things for men more that people can't not be sexist and see 2 people of opposite genders together and not just assume bang town and how that can sometimes lead to ruined careers.

Edit: which is still stupid cause I don't think it would ever ruin the guys career only the womans.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aside from the idea of the "she said" having more power which is complete bullshit, for the actual bad cases it's pretty much never just one woman, people who do this shit once are almost always repeat offenders in legitimate cases
Yep. He said she said carries equal weight one to one more often than not because...well thats not enough. When its he said and 24x she said well....thats way more than enough.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. He said she said carries equal weight one to one more often than not because...well thats not enough. When its he said and 24x she said well....thats way more than enough.
Not to mention even in those cases there still aren't any real consequences half the time for the dude, and the women also gets doxxed and shit if the case was in any news site whatsoever

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the idea of the "she said" having more power which is complete bullshit, for the actual bad cases it's pretty much never just one woman, people who do this shit once are almost always repeat offenders in legitimate cases

Exactly. If you're a good person who treats people with respect you are not going to generate a shit rep.

Just don't be a fucking creep. It's pretty easy.