• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
f0a150cb643ab8e32bb882ac26e7fa08.gif

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
And Republicans can't say that they didn't know this was there, since it was read aloud. They probably left the chamber before the clerk got to the section.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
and hopefully more to come. I would like a lot of tax increases on the ways wealthy people make and maintain their money. Force that money back into circulation.

It's a decent start I guess. There's at least a trillion more out there that needs to be taken back. In other words, unless a filibuster goes, we got 2 more shots to get near that and more. Trump tax cuts gotta go.
Yeah any sort of cut skewed towards the wealthy should be good. The vacuum suction of wealth to the top has to be reversed.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Hidden how? Didn't they literally read the entire thing aloud before the voting session. Like the entirety of the job is to vote on things, you didn't want to pay attention to that??

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hidden how? Didn't they literally read the entire thing aloud before the voting session. Like the entirety of the job is to vote on things, you didn't want to pay attention to that??
There were like one or two Senators on the floor at any given time during the reading.

Bills are also written in precise legalese so they usually aren't going to be that easily decipherable for the layman (common misconception is that the Congresspeople/Senators write the bill themselves - they tell their aides and congressional workers what they want the bill to do, and then they write the bill to make sure it actually can function as law).

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hidden from the lobbyists who didn't have time to put the squeeze on their senators before the vote.

It's usually not the senators themselves that hold up progress. It's their handlers.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Have you ever dosed off in the middle of a really dry lecture?

Or...uhh...started playing Hearthstone under the table?

Not speaking from experience or anything, but I imagine it's something like that.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not someone who supports "taxes for the sake of taxes" but I am glad they added additional revenue to this bill, even if it is minor.

Except a death tax. Everyone should be taxed when they inherit wealth.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they should have been paying attention when they were reading the bill in the senate

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So wait, was this in the one they read out loud?
Because that's some karmatic justice i've been craving.

Republicans wanted them to read the bill out loud, then promptly left. Hidden in the bill was tax hikes that would effect them more than anything. Hilarious

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could schadenfreude this, but as the classic saying goes - scoreboard.

The rich have been feasting for 40+ years now, and then took out the entire buffet during the pandemic. A feast so gluttonous that it would make the old Gilded Age robber barons cry.

They're not sweating 60 billion, and that's even assuming every dollar of that is even collected. We all know how that game is usually played. We need a lot more to make them actually sweat.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
damnnnn. Wonder what the impact to section 162(m) add backs will generally be as a result.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It's a decent start I guess. There's at least a trillion more out there that needs to be taken back. In other words, unless a filibuster goes, we got 2 more shots to get near that and more. Trump tax cuts gotta go.
That's how we're 'paying' for the next giant reconciliation bill.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They left actually lol

OOPS??

That's why you're supposed to do your job. Republicans have been thinking their job for the longest time was simply to obstruct everything and keep feeding the country's wealth to the wealthy and shore up their position the power structure. Good start, much more work to be done. They got away with it for 4 years without actually having to do any work.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Meanwhile Republicans are working to try to repeal the estate tax for people with over $11.7M in assets.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I am not a fan of trying to hide things in bills, especially if unrelated. At least the argument can be made the hikes are to cover some of the stimulus.

But I find it hilarious that Republicans took the time to read it out loud so nothing would be hidden, and it slipped through.

REPUBLICANS IN FAVOR OF TAX INCREASES!

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Politico: "How dare they attack the rich 1%!"

Can't even obtain small progressive gains without people hinting "is this communism?".

Patrick M. Steel is the Chief Executive Officer of POLITICO. Mr. Steel's portfolio includes oversight of operations, strategy, and growth. He came to POLITICO from FBR Capital Markets & Co., based in Arlington, Virginia, where he was Senior Managing Director and Co-Head of Capital Markets. During his sixteen years at the firm, Mr. Steel raised capital and provided financial advisory services to a wide range of businesses. He has managed capital markets transactions including initial public offerings and private placements for companies in the energy, real estate, insurance, financial services, industrial services, consumer, and technology sectors. From 2007-2009, Mr. Steel was based in London where he operated as Group Head of FBR's European Investment Banking effort.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I am not a fan of trying to hide things in bills, especially if unrelated. At least the argument can be made the hikes are to cover some of the stimulus.

But I find it hilarious that Republicans took the time to read it out loud so nothing would be hidden, and it slipped through.

REPUBLICANS IN FAVOR OF TAX INCREASES!
I mean... it's a $1.9 trillion dollar spending bill. No one can be reasonably expected to go through it item-by-item. It's not so much that stuff is "hidden," if there was anything nefarious someone would have noticed and pointed it out, it's just that it's a lot.

Like I'm guessing most posters on here could at most tell you about the $1400 checks, the UI extension/tax exemption and the child allowance, but that's not even half the bill.

In an ideal world they might be able to separate these provisions out in the interest of full transparency, but it had to be passed through reconciliation, and they can only do that once per year (the federal calendar is weird so they'll technically get to do another one later this year). This was their shot.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wish I could schadenfreude this, but as the classic saying goes - scoreboard.

The rich have been feasting for 40+ years now, and then took out the entire buffet during the pandemic. A feast so gluttonous that it would make the old Gilded Age robber barons cry.

They're not sweating 60 billion, and that's even assuming every dollar of that is even collected. We all know how that game is usually played. We need a lot more to make them actually sweat.
Increase funding for the IRS and establish a mandate that they focus on the rich and you'll get a lot more compliance I imagine.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
OK, the Dems in charge often maneuver like fucking flaccid noodles around the GOP, but this is pretty good. I like this news.