• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the opposite for FF7R, the difference in fidelity between the cgi and realtime stuff was so stark that it's a little arring when they do appear.

Can't understand that viewpoint at all. There was a difference, but it was miniscule. Only the bespoke physics of the FMVs really offered much of a hint.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the gameplay matters thought and The Order had average gunplay, mixed with bad pacing and the worst stealth gameplay of all time. Which is a shame, because the world RAD build was cool and I wish we would've gotten a sequel with better gameplay, pacing and story. The Order still looks stunning to this day, but I agree that the likes of Gears 5, The Last of Us 2 and some other games surpassed it.

I agree, it is just that it is a different issue. To me short and mediocre is still better than long and mediocre. I wish more games did that, because most are very mediocre indeed.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with you OP. There's really no other game that had this much of a consistently juicy voluminous depth to every scene you walk into. Every thing in most rooms had the kind of physicality to it that it looked like you could reach into it and grab it. It's a near-perfect mix of light, shadows, and material shaders.

I can think of precisely one game that may have bested TO1886 in regards to this, and has done so in maybe only two locations: Uncharted 4 at Drake and Elena's house, and also the house at the end of the game. UC4 also did it with a lot more colors and without having to resort to heavy color grading to smooth the scene out. Still, it was those two houses, maybe in a few other locations, but mostly no. There was a place or two in TLOU2 that had this kind of thing going on also, but I do remember room interiors being distinctly more impressive in those two locations in UC4.

Another really cool thing about TO1886 was its ignition spraying gun - where you'd spray some ignitible particles towards the enemy, and then fire a rocket that would ignite the cloud. Such a cool concept that was bizarrely not seen in other games, and it was also sadly pretty underutilized in The Order as well.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
'" think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that… it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it."

The game director said this lol. Clearly game direction isn't his thing.
These kind of quotes say something about a specific time and a place, and they had specific goals with this project.

That director worked in the same capacity on God of War: Ghost of Sparta and Lone Echo - both excellent games.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Why does a bad game deserve a sequel?
It feels that they spent a ton of time developing the engine and the visual techniques for this game, and didn't have enough time to expand on game design. I felt that the game was short and sweet, but with a ton of squandered potential. If they were to make a sequel, they'd have all the engine and techniques figured out, and could focus entirely on more creative gameplay scenarios and designs. It's not like RAD are some hacks that have never made a fun or varied game. It's just that for this game I think they simply ran out of time or budget.
After all, look what they've done with Lone Echo, where they didn't have to start from scratch with engine and technology. I would bet Sony wished they kept this team around to develop that for PSVR instead.

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
People were so uneedlessly harsh on it when it was the studios first go at a Triple A game. The sequel was gonna be incredible, the ideas were amazing, but since it got such shit nobody will ever get to see it. Sigh.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People were so uneedlessly harsh on it when it was the studios first go at a Triple A game. The sequel was gonna be incredible, the ideas were amazing, but since it got such shit nobody will ever get to see it. Sigh.
I love this idea that somehow the sequel was going to be incredible based on absolutely nothing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's no denying that some games are unfairly made into punching bags, but for this one, the sales and reviews show there was a problem and it was those problems that prevented it from being built upon

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I love this idea that somehow the sequel was going to be incredible based on absolutely nothing.
It is based on the fact that RAD has never really made a bad game. In fact, their very next game (where they reused the engine and technology from The Order) was totally awesome. Sony can only wish they developed Lone Echo on PSVR.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yes!
I talked this many times...
Played demon souls on PS5, that is exclusive for nextgen, and while is a beautiful game, it really isn't so above some ps4/Xbox one games...
what is strange is that everybody said that this gen we have a really amazing hardware at launch when on PS4 gen, the console was really subpar at time...
I think we are really living a time that production costs already reach a level that is becoming financially difficult to improve visuals in a really significant way.
Ha I know what you mean. It's odd that the subpar hardware outclassed the previous gen so handily compared to this good tech. That's just the way it works I suppose. Hopefully games later in the gen will thoroughly outclass what we're used to.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is based on the fact that RAD has never really made a bad game. In fact, their very next game (where they reused the engine and technology from The Order) was totally awesome. Sony can only wish they developed Lone Echo on PSVR.
Is The Order 1886 a bad game? Did RAD make The Order 1886? Is Lone Echo remotely comparable in scale, scope, systems, mechanics, and overall game design to The Order 1886? What does any of that have to do to give RAD the benefit of the doubt that the sequel would automatically be an amazing game given their priorities or lack thereof in the original.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still the only game that made me not realize when the cut scene was over, a few times I thought I was watching a CGI movie I didn't realize it was my turn and start playing the game

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
having gotten the game at a steal of a price and played it twice, its one of my favorites from the PS4 catalogue, in terms of overall presentation and ambition for the time. its short yes and not worth 60 dollars maybe, but damn if it aint pretty even today.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game would have been a ray tracing showpiece on par with Control, at least

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not based in nothing, the little game we got in 1886 was great and sequels most of the time build from the base of the first game. There is also the fact that Ready at Dawn is a very talented studio.
1886 wasn't great nor close to being great, it wasn't even good and was fundamentally poorly designed so there's already a huge disagreement in perception for us to continue a genuine discussion. And we're not even getting to how poorly told the story was. LOL

That doesn't mean RAD isn't a talented studio, only that talented studios make bad games sometimes. It's very reasonable to believe if RAD was given the same time and budget to build from the base to create a sequel it would be an improvement over the original, however to what degree would remain to be seen, yet alone believing it would somehow be amazing

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never miss an opportunity to post some delicious The Order screenshots. 🤤

0XrTtPC.jpg

fOzRvOd.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041u3pe1.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041g6uwg.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041jzu99.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041v6uli.jpg

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is weird how they force you to look at genuinely uninteresting things in the world to admire their handiwork. It sort of belies a confidence in the product; you can feel this real insecurity running throughout the whole game. Lots of people were never going to be happy that it was short and linear and cinematic and that's okay, but the mechanics that were present really weren't all that sharp. Guns felt good but there was little shooting. AI was weak. There was little creativity in the encounters.

There is something about this game's color temp that just speaks to me. I remember playing it on a cold February night in the white chapel level and the blue tint of the game just matched the outdoors so perfectly. It was that like one real set piece where you're in the little hut and enemies just stream endlessly in from across the street. It felt special. Not good, but satisfying and almost like...I don't know, tactile. I could feel it.

I think they had something and just needed more time to flesh out the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should have turned this into a tv show. given their focus as a media company now, The Order would probably have been greenlit as a series if it was brought up now

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The thought of Lone Echo with Move controllers gives me nightmares.
Yeah, I thought about that after I made that post. I guess my point was simply that their next game that used their already finished technology, was pretty great. I didn't really mean that whatever they could make on PSVR would be the exact same thing. I'm more surprised that Sony just cut them off completely like that, after years of good working relations. They must have felt that the well was so poisoned with this game, that whatever RAD makes next would get laughed at before its even made - but that turned out to not be the case at all.

OP
OP
mcruz79

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Ha I know what you mean. It's odd that the subpar hardware outclassed the previous gen so handily compared to this good tech. That's just the way it works I suppose. Hopefully games later in the gen will thoroughly outclass what we're used to.
Yes!!
for sure must be a budget problem!
hopefully 2 or 3 years in to this gen, developers will start to realize how to really take advantage of this new hardwares without have to utilize massive amounts of money.
with this we can maybe start to see a truly real difference in visuals from games of the last gen...
Since things like textures of materials and modeling were so good last gen, I really hope to see huge improvements in things like animations, facial animations, human/animal behavior, draw distance details and fluid simulations/particles ( water, smoke, fire, magic, etc)

Never miss an opportunity to post some delicious The Order screenshots. 🤤

god damn the materials in this game!!!
fantastic pics!,

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
For a topic extolling the CG virtues of The Order 1886 there sure is a lack of gifs.

The particle effects were spectacular:

2786443-03.gif

2786442-02.gif

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on PSN for $8 and was still disappointed

At least it had an interesting world, a lot more than you can say about Days Gone or Ghosts

Rizzy13

Oct 25, 2020
Game was way too short and didn't have enough variety to its gameplay. However, I will miss those 4 main characters. They were amazing and I loved their interaction with each other. I got the collector's edition in hopes that it would be amazing, but I was disappointed overall, despite enjoying the game. I love my Gallahad statue too.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
I wish they would have been able to add a MP mode for this game, like Sony's Gears of War, cuz I loved the story mode, and if they had a MP mode, it woulda been one of my most played PS4 games. I'm ready to start gaming more on PC, just to play Gears (and Halo) online all the time.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
If this game had launched at $30 instead of the full $60 and tweaked at least a few other things, I honestly believe it would have been seen as one of the best games of 2015.

Such a shame we never got a sequel to expand on the first game either. This game reeked of the devs spending to much time building the world and tech (which is fine) over the actual gameplay scenarios. Being able to have a sequel that could reuse the tech and assets with more expanded gameplay scenarios and everything else would have been fucking awesome.

I don't usually care for these overly cinematic games (I have whined about that plenty before but not here) but this game is a pretty big exception, and honestly I'm not even really sure why, but I had a blast with this game honestly.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Because of the this thread I wanted to replay the game. Turns out I sold it physically and it's 40 euros at the psn store. Damn!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Technically it could have been done by having specific time of day settings like what Insomniac Games did with their Spider-Man games. There are ways to hide/put on-hold/limit the memory usage of some areas to reallocate that memory to other areas the player is currently exploring. The game doesn't keep all of a level's data running at all times. It comes and go. And as much as I love Ghost of Tsushima, The Order 1886 level design shouldn't have been an open-world game. A hub-world design similar to what we can find in the Sly Cooper games would have worked better for the game's context.
It was also as interactive as a CGI movie.
If you can shoot enemies in the game, it is far from being as interactive as a CGI movie.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
hair, skin, material all looked exponentially better than the real time stuff 🤷‍♂️

"Exponentially" means by a factor of ten, and yeah... no. There was barely any at all. And the transitions were so quick, with no loading screens, that it always took me a second to even realize I was watching one. The character models were practically identical.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
"Exponentially" means by a factor of ten, and yeah... no. There was barely any at all. And the transitions were so quick, with no loading screens, that it always took me a second to even realize I was watching one. The character models were practically identical.
Can't agree with that at all especially when people online were vocal about how different the cgi models looked but what can you do

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Sounds like someone who was working on it or knew someone who was. 👀

That would explain the lack of "console" mentions in their open positions page. 😂

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not a bad game. I actually liked it. It has so many flaws like it was too linear and short. The characters and world building are great. I'd like to see them expand on it.

The world building is pretty bog standard stuff. Society of secretive super humans fights monsters of myth in an urban setting aka urban fantasy's bread and butter.

Oct 27, 2017
For me this game was a modern day Night Trap, a technical marvel lacking in any real substance.

That's not to say I didn't play the shit out of Night Trap.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
People are so in love with the idea of fighting monsters in Victorian age London that they are willing to ignore how badly RaD screwed up with this game. The gameplay isn't even the worst part, the story is, and that was supposed to be their focus.