• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The game looks great but it's very inconsistent.
Tons of low res textures, even on Galahad. As a whole it looks great but I always felt like it cut a lot of corners for it to look as good as it does lol.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
While this is true, the order at least had the decency to end quickly.

You wouldn't pay $60 for it necessarily, but I always welcome games who show you what they have to offer and peace out gracefully. Copy pasting the same gameplay bit seventeen times just to tick the "value" box doesn't actually add anything.

Which is why I've always found the complaints about the order being short as curious. It has as much gameplay as pretty much anything else released in modern times, it just doesn't treat you like a moron with nothing better to do.

A very good point, I wholeheartedly agree.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
This game has simultaneously fully acknowledged graphical prowess, and yet underrated graphics. Most people agree it is stunning, but I don't think they realize just how stunning. If a game came out with those graphics today on PS5 it would be hailed as potentially the best graphics ever.

And yet it looks like that on bass PS4!

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, char design, world design, atmosphere was top notch. The story had a lot of promise, especially the angle that the english railway company was used and controlled by vampires to expand their radius. How cool is that.

Would love a sequel, polish the gameplay and just get rid of boss fights in this. Globetrotting behind vampires etc. On the run from english police ahh great.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The game is undeniably a graphical and technical achievement by RAD.

My problem with its visuals is that no consideration was paid on how the visuals support the gameplay's overall visual clarity.

Like they'll do the usual Valve/Naughty Dog thing of hanging some light source on a platform to show you where you need to go (with the the most restrictive auto-platforming mechanics devised). On the other hand, enemies wearing brown/grey uniforms blend in with the brown/grey environments and I had sooo many moments of "Who the fuck is shooting at me??!". And these levels are highly tight and restrictive, it's not like the actual level are complex, multi-layered or anything.

They took the old, tired lessons of the 7th gen and applied them badly.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I think it is odd how this game still gets flack for the lack of gameplay and short length, when we exist in a world rife with walking simulators and people seem to be clamouring for short, concise games, rather than 60 hour open world titles every damn time. I bought it at launch and never felt short-changed. One of my favourite games of the generation.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping that RAD was going to get another crack at a cinematic game for consoles as I think that with a larger budget (and a greater focus on gameplay) they could sit alongside the great work that Sonys own internal studios have reached.

Sadly, due to the buyout, I think we won't ever see that. While their VR games have been good, I consider that Facebook buyout a waste of their talent.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is odd how this game still gets flack for the lack of gameplay and short length, when we exist in a world rife with walking simulators and people seem to be clamouring for short, concise games, rather than 60 hour open world titles every damn time. I bought it at launch and never felt short-changed. One of my favourite games of the generation.
Yep, pretty much exactly how I feel also.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping that RAD was going to get another crack at a cinematic game for consoles as I think that with a larger budget (and a greater focus on gameplay) they could sit alongside the great work that Sonys own internal studios have reached.

Sadly, due to the buyout, I think we won't ever see that. While their VR games have been good, I consider that Facebook buyout a waste of their talent.

Eehhhh, the best game they've ever made has been for Oculus. I would say it'd be a waste of their talents to put them on making a new Order 1886 game, a game that was largely disliked, rather than continuing to be a leader and completely top tier in the VR space. If anything, they've really proved for talented they are with Lone Echo.

They've finally made that top tier cinematic game with a big budget. It's not a 'waste of their talent' just because it's not on PlayStation. They're a huge player in PCVR now. If anything, in my opinion, VR has let them really stretch their creativity and show their talents in an amazing way.

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Eh, i disagree. It look nice and almost cgi like in tiny gifs. It's not that hard to "cheat" these. When you are actually seeing the game real time on screen, it shows its age and you can see through the cracks very easily.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I was watching some videos of the order 1886 and is incredible how close to a CGI movie this game looks...
we all know how limited the gameplay was, even if I think the shooting was very very satisfying at time, but speaking specifically about the presentation, visuals, I honestly think that the order still is the game with more similar look of a CGI movie.
Maybe the last of us part 2 comes close and it has many things better implemented but I don't know, the materials, animations, light, camera work, art direction, atmosphere is so so well done.
It really looks like a good CGI movie.
Its a really fantastic work from ready at down!
I don't know the costs of the order 1886 but I think that the developer team of RaD at time should not be so big, but I don't know for sure.
Its possible nowadays, with the new hardware, we can have this same level of detail and presentation with massive games?
N8j1.gif

Eqpy.gif

Ep2o.gif

R9nh.gif

9QFu.gif
It's the Beowulf of Video Games. 😂

P.s. I still love the game.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The length was mostly a problem in that it was a full priced game. That wasn't the main issue though. It was generally considered a mediocre at best shooter with a dull story, terrible werewolf battle, and zero replayability. Beyond the visuals and cool setting, there's just not much there.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Eehhhh, the best game they've ever made has been for Oculus. I would say it'd be a waste of their talents to put them on making a new Order 1886 game, a game that was largely disliked, rather than continuing to be a leader and completely top tier in the VR space. If anything, they've really proved for talented they are with Lone Echo.

They've finally made that top tier cinematic game with a big budget. It's not a 'waste of their talent' just because it's not on PlayStation. They're a huge player in PCVR now. If anything, in my opinion, VR has let them really stretch their creativity and show their talents in an amazing way.

Yeah, agreed. I wasn't the biggest fan of The Order, exacerbated by how much I loved their PSP games beforehand.

But when I played Lone Echo I was absolutely blown away by it. Absolutely incredible experience and the best game I've played in VR along with Alyx.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The length was mostly a problem in that it was a full priced game. That wasn't the main issue though. It was generally considered a mediocre at best shooter with a dull story, terrible werewolf battle, and zero replayability. Beyond the visuals and cool setting, there's just not much there.
The length of a game shouldn't dictate its price. However, if the game only has a single-player mode the devs need to give us incentives to replay the game: new unlockable weapons, semi-open areas to explore with secret hunt side-quests, new costumes, etc. A game doesn't need a multiplayer mode if its single player campaign is short. It just needs things to do after the game is done.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The threads on this and Ryse (and thinking about Killzone Shadowfall) make me a little sad that so far there's nothing next gen that's a true ridiculous leap like these games were.
TLOU was Naughty Dog's PS3 swan song and it looks positively ancient compared to this. Whereas TLOU2 pretty much looks as good as most next gen games currently. Even Demon's Souls (which looks fantastic) isn't blowing last gen away in the same way.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The length of a game shouldn't dictate its price. However, if the game only has a single-player mode the devs need to give us incentives to replay the game: new unlockable weapons, semi-open areas to explore with secret hunt side-quests, new costumes, etc. A game doesn't need a multiplayer mode if its single player campaign is short. It just needs things to do after the game is done.
Yes, I should've mentioned content volume. Nothing wrong with a short campaign if it has strong multiplayer, for example. I more was talking about the amount of content. The length of a very linear single player campaign should be taken into account. If someone is buying a $60 game, it should have more than just a few hours of strictly linear content.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I actually think their PSP God of War games are the best games they've done. Before the buyout they were making a big budget 3rd person game for consoles (not just for PlayStation). I was looking forward to that.
Their proprietary engine was incredible and I do think it is a waste to not use it again for its intended purpose. An evolution of what they achieved with The Order would have been interesting to see.
Now a lot of people will have no interest at all in their games and less interest in them. I'm glad they have the security and they've obviously done what they think best which is the main thing.

Nov 8, 2017
Which is why I've always found the complaints about the order being short as curious. It has as much gameplay as pretty much anything else released in modern times, it just doesn't treat you like a moron with nothing better to do.

A good game can keep things interesting by mixing up the encounter design beyond the [checks notes] roughly 5 hours of interactive gameplay found in The Order: 1886. Less if you're in a hurry. There are legitimately around 2 hours of cutscenes or non-interactive/minimally interactive scenes in this game, bringing the total experience up to a constantly interrupted, badly paced 7 hour runtime where the game keeps snatching away the controls just after you get into a fun rhythm of gameplay.

Sorry I apparently am a moron with nothing better to do, because apparently I'd like something longer than TO:1886 yet not as long as an 80 hour Assassin's Creed game. Are there any games that exist between these two benchmarks? How about Gears of War 1, which codified the genre that The Order is a part of, came out 9 years earlier, and was ~9 hours long with a lower ratio of cutscenes and slow walking bits, then also shipped with a good multiplayer suite for those who wanted to take the battle online. Awesome! Nobody complained about that package and it wasn't a bloated, overly long campaign.

I happen to be of the opinion that even if this game was launched at $30 it still wouldn't have been amazing, because there are problems with it having a bad story, bad pacing, uninspired enemy designs and massive wasted potential propped up with merely servicable gameplay. But even if you loved the game, I don't know why you'd find it hard to comprehend the value argument.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

Don't feel bad. I really loved my time with it too.

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to want to defend the "underdog" big budget AAA game but pretty graphics is it for this game. Which is fine to like but not rly a reason to try to force ppl to like something

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair the walking simulators typically are indie games that manage to tell a story in a much more engaging way and somehow offer more interaction than The Order. The length is only a real issue at $60 or $70 today.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I love it.
The main problem is the lack of content, imo a horde mode would have been great since the shooting felt really good.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I liked the setting of the world and monsters. The graphics were amazing, too. But he gameplay, story, Bossfights were simply poor. I wish we would've gotten a sequel to see how the developers improve those bits, because the world was certainly interesting.

It's also the game that has come the closest to playing like a CGI movie... lol
Lmao.

Jul 1, 2020
Sony should revisit the franchise if they have the rights. The original developer Ready at Dawn is now a part of Oculus.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Which is why I've always found the complaints about the order being short as curious. It has as much gameplay as pretty much anything else released in modern times, it just doesn't treat you like a moron with nothing better to do
The quality of the gameplay matters thought and The Order had average gunplay, mixed with bad pacing and the worst stealth gameplay of all time. Which is a shame, because the world RAD build was cool and I wish we would've gotten a sequel with better gameplay, pacing and story.
Gears 5 surpassed it, and I think it's not even the only one to do so.
The Order still looks stunning to this day, but I agree that the likes of Gears 5, The Last of Us 2 and some other games surpassed it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have always been telling this. The game peculiarly looks like CGI. It's fucking weird. No other game has ever achieved this and I don't get how this is not a big deal to everyone and why we are not asking other devs to try to achieve something like this.
I really believe that if the game was more well-received, it would have a great effect on video game visuals in general, but alas, they fucked it up.
Slather a bunch of film grain, chromatic aberration, depth of field effects and blur all over your game and you'll be halfway there to achieving The Order's pseudo-CGI look.

Honestly so much of the picture being out of focus is what helps make this game look "cinematic" (while also hiding its imperfections).

image_the_order_1886-27583-2752_0010.jpg

image_the_order_1886-27583-2752_0011.jpg

image_the_order_1886-27583-2752_0013.jpg

Notice how soft and blurry everything looks. This is the "secret" to the Order looking the way it does. Because movies also look rather soft.

I'm thankful game developers have in fact not copied what this game does, by and large.

Last edited:

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
You can't use tiny gifs when talking about visual fidelity...

Regardless it does look great.

But that's it. Terrible story. Terrible and lacking gameplay. Just terrible all round.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I would say FFVII Remake at its best captures CG feel just as well. But yeah, it is still impressive looking. I remember back in the day there was some contention whether this, QB or Ryse looked better. Having played the latter two some years later at max on PC, I would say this is the most graphically polished looking, while QB is the most impressive, since it has some insane thiings going on. Played that after Gears 5 and QB is easily the more impressive game overall.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
David Jenkins perfectly summed up my exact feelings about this game:

Ready at Dawn clearly object to the idea of interrupting their pretty graphics with something as trivial as gameplay, but despite their claims they don't seem to have any real interest in storytelling either. Perhaps their programmers should have taken their obvious talents to ILM or some other visual effects company, because they clearly have no appetite for interactive entertainment.

metro.co.uk

Game review: The Order: 1886 has the best graphics ever

It features some of the best graphics ever seen on a home console but does this new PS4 exclusive have the gameplay to match?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
metro.co.uk

Game review: The Order: 1886 has the best graphics ever

It features some of the best graphics ever seen on a home console but does this new PS4 exclusive have the gameplay to match?
This seems like a bit of a reductionist take about the role of "programmers" in a game development project considering The Order: 1886 is the only game in R@D history where direction ended up prioritising the visuals over the gameplay experience.

It was the only game they developed for the PlayStation? If so I guess that says a lot.
They developed 3 PSP games and one PS3 game before being given their "big break" with an original IP on console.

Last edited:

Cubeikon

Oct 29, 2017
My experience with the Order 1886 was a rather short one:

Bought the CE for 70€ and got the game delivered on monday.

Got the platinum on wednesday.

Sold the game on thursday for 60€.

Friday was the official launch day.

Visually a masterpiece beyond a doubt but everything else was mediocre at best. And how on earth can you waste THAT premise? Steampunk + werewolves seemed like a safe bet but well hindsight is 10/10 🤷‍♂️

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This game has simultaneously fully acknowledged graphical prowess, and yet underrated graphics. Most people agree it is stunning, but I don't think they realize just how stunning. If a game came out with those graphics today on PS5 it would be hailed as potentially the best graphics ever.

And yet it looks like that on bass PS4!

The game looks great, but this is such hyperbole.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
To be fair the walking simulators typically are indie games that manage to tell a story in a much more engaging way and somehow offer more interaction than The Order. The length is only a real issue at $60 or $70 today.

I guess it boils down to the old quality versus quantity debate, but give me the 8 hours of The Order and however limited the gameplay was in that time, over an open world mess with more quantity any time. You pay the same amount for both.