• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
Lasted 10 minutes before bailing out. I have never seen so many continuity issues in a movie packed in under 10 fucking minutes (example: you have a fucking SLOW MOTION shot of the car's left rear-view mirror being smashed..next 3 shots..the car is brand new...next shot a fucking motorbike smashes the whole car....next shots...car doesn't have a scratch....) Can't imagine how fucking horrendous the rest of it is.
LMAO, I paused and rewinded to make sure I wasn't crazy. Then I said fuck it, and just watched without thinking anymore. That said, it wasn't until the end credits that I realized it was a Bay movie. I enjoyed it, damn the plot holes and lack of continuity...

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I tried to watch this and could only get as far as 30 minutes. The issue isn't even the typical Michael Bay stupidity, but how non-thrilling the action scenes are. The whole opening chase scene felt way too long because it felt like they were constantly cutting to other, less thrilling, shit instead of just focusing on the action and dynamism. Everybody had to get their quips and shit in.

I mean, fuck, I watched all of Transformers: Last Knight, and I couldn't even make it an hour in to this.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I wouldn't say I watched this as much as I would say that I got through it. That opening phase scene was ridiculous just new people constantly chasing them after others would get killed. There wasn't any real sense of danger. I kept hoping it would get better but I only mildly did, but not enough to care much about any of the characters.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This was really bad but the worst part was the dude perfect soundtrack.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of product placement so far, nice ad for Red Bull, nice ad for Captain Morgans.. That car chase scene was exhausting to watch.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a weird movie...
Like it just makes no sense.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The worst movie I've seen this year.

Ryan Reynolds has become his Deadpool character in every movie.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It was okay, but I think it would've benefited from being a 5 hours long miniseries instead of a 2 hr movie. It wouldn't even have to be substantially more costly, just spread out the insane action between several episodes and pad it with some dialogue and more fleshed out characters.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Incredibly dumb movie but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Shame that they didn't flesh out any of the characters cause Reynolds, Hardy and Laurent could be really likeable

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Film was watchable but nothing special, I think a bit too over the top as well at times.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Bay Bay'd the fuck out of that. I was definitely not in a sober state watching it, so I can't really say for sure how much I hated or loved it.

All I remember is laughing that the theme of this was how oppressed brown folk just gotta nut up with the help of an off-the-grid billionaire and his mercenary asshole imperialist friends.
And amidst this generic ass conflict set up with caricatures and human-shaped dolls, they had the balls to have a big setpiece set in Hong Kong of all places with what they're going through today - and barely a mention of their struggle.

Obviously, China politics is a big no-no, especially with Bay using and abusing them for his movies for over a decade now, but still - that shit was jarring towards the end. Everything else was just Bay as hell and I set my expectations (even though I was still surprised at the Bayhem), but that geopolitical shit he's messing around with was...curious.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
My barber was playinh this. It looked fun from the thirty or so minutes of it that I saw. I don't care about the plot nor do i care about starting this out at the beggining lol

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was just straight up fugly. The lighting and camera work and color grading and hair and makeup. Even Melanie Laurent looked like a hideous serpent beast. Michael Bay has the aesthetic sensibility of a mall kiosk. It's unreal that they spent 150 million dollars and that's what the fucking thing looked like in the end.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There were FIVE songs played during the opening 20 min car chase. I stopped caring about what I was watching, the choreography, the practical FX, the geography, etc. This is definitely too much Michael Bay lol. When Netflix just dumps 150 million in your lap and lets you go hog wild. Does this movie get any better in the editing and choreography for the action scenes (only reason I'm watching this)?

Jan 31, 2018
Opening sequence was a little too long and a little too much white saviorism, but I actually liked it. Most of the cast were pretty good with Laurent especially having a terrific performance.

Probably too much to hope for a sequel but it delivered what it promised.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This really is an early 2000 action movie complete with parkour and skateboarding. I wonder if Bay has been sitting on this for the last decade or so.

The first 20 minutes is pure carnage with near epileptic editing.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were FIVE songs played during the opening 20 min car chase. I stopped caring about what I was watching, the choreography, the practical FX, the geography, etc. This is definitely too much Michael Bay lol. When Netflix just dumps 150 million in your lap and lets you go hog wild. Does this movie get any better in the editing and choreography for the action scenes (only reason I'm watching this)?

3 people edited the film and it feels like they were all doing it on the same laptop at the same time.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
If you want a deep story, great characters, and award winning performances, this is not that movie.

If you want an enjoyable action movie, this is that movie.

People need to keep their expectations in check.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm 10 minutes in (still carchase) and I literally had to pause it. This is Bay on cocaine, but I'm the one getting overdosed. The over-the-top color exposure, the screaming, the editing, makes me feel like I'm in seizure mode. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that Bay did not direct Bad Boys 3. Will finish this, but not all in one, not possible. I got too old for this type of movies, Bay certainly did not.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
this was literally the most Michael Bay movie ever. At least it was fun to watch, unlike the Last Knight which I saw in the theaters and I can't tell you the plot or any thing from that movie except it had a sword and a submarine, and a underwater base or something.

But this movie, shit, it made no fucking sense but it least it looked great. Too bad I didn't understand anything cause Michael Bay cuts every .53 seconds.

Also how the fuck did No. 1 recruit all these guys, how did he get all the weapons and gear transported to all those areas and how the fuck does he not have
a phone case?

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Made it like 10 minutes in as well before I turned the tv off. Absolute garbage of the worst kind.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
this was literally the most Michael Bay movie ever. At least it was fun to watch, unlike the Last Knight which I saw in the theaters and I can't tell you the plot or any thing from that movie except it had a sword and a submarine, and a underwater base or something.

But this movie, shit, it made no fucking sense but it least it looked great. Too bad I didn't understand anything cause Michael Bay cuts every .53 seconds.

Also how the fuck did No. 1 recruit all these guys, how did he get all the weapons and gear transported to all those areas and how the fuck does he not have
a phone case?
Agree totally

Apr 21, 2018
I had a lot of fun with it. It's pure adrenaline fuel and Michael Bay definitely embraces the over-the-top action and he's good at it.

I know most will disagree, but I'd put it on par with a lot of the Mission Impossible movies. I dunno, I just feel like I enjoyed it more than I should have. It's just so self-aware in its ridiculousness, stupidity, and over the top action and it has fun with it the entire time. It isn't afraid to be extremely violent too, which I appreciate in a swarm of PG action films these days.

Just pure fun. As an action movie, I can't help but recommend it. Just check your brain at the door and strap in.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

The following set pieces don't hold a candle to the opening chase sequence, so you can take that however you want... But ultimately, yes the editing and choreography gets better and is easier to follow, but a lot of that just has to do with the fact that the action sequences aren't nearly as break neck as the opening chase.

kansai_mish

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Went over to a friend's place last week and they put this on. Had no idea what it was or what to expect and found it bafflingly bad. Cringey lines, meaningless explosions. Incredibly boring despite it trying so hard not to be.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went over to a friend's place last week and they put this on. Had no idea what it was or what to expect and found it bafflingly bad. Cringey lines, meaningless explosions. Incredibly boring despite it trying so hard not to be.

You really have to be in a mood to watch it. If you didn't like the first ten minutes I don't know why you watched the rest.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
This film was a pain to watch. Only watched it because I saw people saying they enjoyed it more than the Irishman. What a terrible opinion

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Worst movie I've "seen" in a long time. Come to find out its a Bay film..because of course it was. Air quotes for seen because I couldnt even get past the 30 minute car chase in the beginning. Who edited that shit and thought "yeah, thats perfect". Damn near gave me a headache lol.

Jul 18, 2018
The characters all getting a back story is pointless. Really enjoyed seeing Mélanie Laurent on screen again tho. The action scenes, even if they lasted long, was enjoyable. At least the way people died was graphic so that made it somewhat fun.

However the editing is horrible. So many damn cuts and erratic camera movements. It actually made some scenes difficult to watch, near the last set piece I was kind of just done with the film.

Also I may be alone but I'm kind of tired of Ryan Reynold's characters. They are act the same throughout every film he does. I'm kind of just clocked out in that regard.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It was dumb fun.

I showed the opening scene to my friend as an introduction to 4K/HDR10+ and he was impressed.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good movie by any means, but was still enjoyable to passively watch. Have to say that all the bodies flying in to stuff and getting ran over looked great though. Those were the most fun bits in the movie.

I would give it a 5/10.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Storror parkour gang did a bunch of stunts for this film. I'm watching one of their vids now and it's more enjoyable than watching the actual film because the crazy editing that just gave me a headache.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
It was okay, but I think it would've benefited from being a 5 hours long miniseries instead of a 2 hr movie. It wouldn't even have to be substantially more costly, just spread out the insane action between several episodes and pad it with some dialogue and more fleshed out characters.
I think it would have benefited from being at least 30 minutes shorter. You don't need a 15-minute car chase opening sequence when 5 minutes is more than enough. Typical self-indulgent Bay shite. When you're watching an action sequence and you're genuinely wishing it would finish, it's too long.

Oh, and a coherent plot would have been nice, too, but again, it's Michael Bay!