• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Blindingly stupid movie with some memorable action but overall just another wasted opportunity by Bay, if he just tried a little to not break the fourth wall, and have a more coherent tone he might be able to pull off a good movie.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. This is the type of movies I want to see from Netflix, just something to entertain me for a while.
The story is absurd and it has the nuance of a sledgehammer, but there are some great setpieces that made me laugh with excitement. I'd like to see a VFX/stunts breakdown because the movie has amazing scenes and it was hard for me to distinguish cgi from practical at times.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think I might need to see a doctor.
I thought this was better than any of the Fast of the Furious movies and was plenty entertained the whole time.

From a VFX standpoint it looked better than anything I've seen from any other action movie currently.

Also Ryan Reynolds >>>>>> Statham >> Rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vin Diesel

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really small thing, but one thing that really demonstrates how shoddily made this film is is how each team member is introduced with a title along the format "The X" (like "The Driver", "The Billionaire") except for the blonde who is "CIA Spook". How do you fail that hard that you don't keep the pattern running?

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Blindingly stupid movie with some memorable action but overall just another wasted opportunity by Bay, if he just tried a little to not break the fourth wall, and have a more coherent tone he might be able to pull off a good movie.

I'm pretty sure Michael Bay is incapable of being self-aware in the slightest. That's why the Fast and Furious series owns the shit out of any Bay movie. That series knows its become one of the dumbest fucking things in cinema, and it fully embraces the stupidity. And yet... it also managed to pull off heartfelt sentimentality with Paul Walker's send-off in Furious 7, in a way Bay has never been able to in his entire filmography.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I enjoyed this . I'm a sucker for a Michael bay movie . Shrugs .
I'm pretty sure Michael Bay is incapable of being self-aware in the slightest. That's why the Fast and Furious series owns the shit out of any Bay movie. That series knows its become one of the dumbest fucking things in cinema, and it fully embraces the stupidity. And yet... it also managed to pull off heartfelt sentimentality with Paul Walker's send-off in Furious 7, in a way Bay has never been able to in his entire filmography.

I somehow agree with all of these at once? Lol I was entertained and would 100% watch a sequel

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I enjoyed the movie. It was dumb fun. What I can't understand why is the editing in Bays films so jarring. Like he has some of the best action scenes in the industry but he ends up ruining them by quickly cutting to the next scene. With that said I'd be down for a sequel.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
The framing and editing are stunningly, agressively bad.

I'm shocked that there isn't even a shred of the usual vaguely redeeming qualities of Bay. It's just plain awful.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, wasn't feeling this. Am I crazy, or did they explain the basic setup of the crew like multiple times, as if it was difficult to grasp? That they're dead, that they can do what governments can't, etc.?
Magnet stuff and parkour was great. Wish it was tighter- could have been much more entertaining.
also, saying "these are the 9 guys we need to kill" and only getting to the first one is super dumb.
Musical choices were some of the worst trash rock I've ever heard, too.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I liked it more than Hobbs and Shaw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Though, it's not exactly what I expected and definitely not the best Bay even in the last decade.
And yet... it also managed to pull off heartfelt sentimentality with Paul Walker's send-off in Furious 7, in a way Bay has never been able to in his entire filmography.
Paul Walker died in real life and as shitty as it sounds half of a reason why the sendoff works is because you know what happened behind the scenes. IMO as far as fiction goes nothing in F&F comes close to the opening of The Rock, not for the lack of trying mind you, Letty (before retcon), Han, Gisele died and nobody felt shit.

Last edited:

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
This was not a good movie.

But it had some moments. Sometimes it was funny, and I really enjoyed the woman from inglorious bastards.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
On paper I should fucking hate this movie.

In reality? I'm fucking in. This shit insulted my intelligence the whole way through and by the time I realized it, Stockholm syndrome set in.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ the ham-fisted and preachy political commentary (How to stage a coup in 24 hours!~)

Editing was awful. Like some really unnecessarily long panning shots were kept but there's moments when a car gets hit by another car, and then a JUMP CUT happens to the car already half-destroyed flipping around with our protagonists inside. So jarring/sloppy. Makes it seem like they didn't get what they wanted for those takes, so just cut out the lack-luster parts. Also Bay's thousand-cut style is something I haven't seen in awhile (even during dialogue shots) and it felt like I was watching a 2 hour trailer.

Half the movie felt like an introduction of every single character. Way too much backstory/exposition in big chunks. Could really feel the movie grind to a halt, when the first car chase did such a good job building momentum.

Also super bold for Michael Bay to basically point to the stands and say, "There are NINE villains we need to take down." and this movie only focuses on the first. But hey, get your sequel/franchise hooks in however you can.

Despite all my gripes, I enjoyed it, because I knew what I was getting into (dumb fun). I'd definitely sit on my ass and watch 6 Underground 2-9, since the cast actually has good chemistry, and they can be done with the shit-ton of backstory.

I think I might need to see a doctor.
I thought this was better than any of the Fast of the Furious movies and was plenty entertained the whole time.

From a VFX standpoint it looked better than anything I've seen from any other action movie currently.

Also Ryan Reynolds >>>>>> Statham >> Rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vin Diesel
Yea, I think they're clearly going for that Fast & Furious team-up energy. Especially setting themselves up for EIGHT sequels off the bat.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was terrible. Well, it's my fault for watching it. I was thoroughly warned this was the bayest bay that ever bayed, yet it didn't keep me at bay, though I know I don't like bay; next time I'll obey my instinct.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
This movie is straight trash the tone is just all over the place. Me and the gf trying to watch it and about half way through we had to turn it off

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Bay's phobia for shots longer than 2 seconds is still real, I see. Christ what horrible editing.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not watching Underground 6, but I will watch cast members Ryan Reynolds, Melanie Laurent, and Adria Arjona promote Underground 6 on the Korean variety show Running Man.

Episode airs Dec 22, and it's posted on legal sites with English subtitles on the same day.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it more than Hobbs and Shaw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Though, it's not exactly what I expected and definitely not the best Bay even in the last decade.

Paul Walker died in real life and as shitty as it sounds half of a reason why the sendoff works is because you know what happened behind the scenes. IMO as far as fiction goes nothing in F&F comes close to the opening of The Rock, not for the lack of trying mind you, Letty (before retcon), Han, Gisele died and nobody felt shit.
I liked this way more than Hobbs and Shaw. It just felt good to have Bay back making the kind of movie I'm a big fan of.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Completely all over the place. but i have seen worse action flicks. A lot of explicit deaths through the movie.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this movie was garbage. The action scenes couldn't even save it. This pretty much cements my perception of Ryan Reynolds - dude plays the same role in every movie and is basically box office poison.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the film repeatedly tell us the premise of "we all died so we could become ghosts"?

And how are these people good guys when they kill so many innocent people?

I don't understand this film. The action isn't even that good.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the more disgusting 'blockbusters' or action movies I watched in the last time, it's worshipping billionaires, western jigonism and portraing the 'middle eastern' country extremely badly. I think not even the bla has fallen movies are this bad...

The first action scene in the second half is somewhat decent but the rest of the movie is just bad. Honestly the movie is just absolutely disgusting....

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Lol it's not a good movie, but it's better than any of the FAST movies by a mile.
Doesn't focus too much on plot, just onto the next set piece with time for quips in between, and I never felt like it was trying to be more than just that.
Just simple action and violence with inappropriate humor tossed about.

I found it plenty enjoyable for a Netflix movie.
It's pretty objectively bad tho if you are expecting it to take itself seriously.

And having a Car chase scene where there are accidental pedestrian deaths via the protagonists car/driving was somehow refreshing, because I'm always rolling my eyes in action movies because that never happens =p

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was essentially a billionaire white man saves the poor colored folks from a bad Muslim dictator. So unique.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Gave up after an hour. Wanted to stop 15 minutes in but gave it a chance zzzz. Movie took itself way too seriously. Terrible out of ten

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lasted 10 minutes before bailing out. I have never seen so many continuity issues in a movie packed in under 10 fucking minutes (example: you have a fucking SLOW MOTION shot of the car's left rear-view mirror being smashed..next 3 shots..the car is brand new...next shot a fucking motorbike smashes the whole car....next shots...car doesn't have a scratch....) Can't imagine how fucking horrendous the rest of it lust be.

Last edited: