• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Potential TLOU2 spoilers (obviously)!

Era, so I have a tendency to sometimes watch game related tribute and music videos on Youtube. Yet I am unable to watch anything TLOU2 related because the story is so devastating that it instantly brings me to full on tears. The theme of letting go of hatred to save that last bit of your humanity and soul always hits me like a ton of bricks.

Can anyone relate and do you still think about the game?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think about how Ellie was such a trash person in TLOU2 and how some people just can't see it.

Abby was to me the real surprise of TLOU2, i loved everything about the character, how you realize that she went through a lot, etc

But yeah i still think about the game and how ND somehow managed to subvert expectations and not just release a "TLOU 2 : Let's play safe and deliver a second TLOU1" edition.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yep, I feel the same. I've been meaning to replay it (and maybe even platinum it) ever since I finished, but I was left so devastated and overwhelmed by everything that happened in the story, that I still can't pick it back up. Perhaps in a couple more months, when I get a PS5.

May 19, 2020
you're certainly allowed to feel how you feel about a video game but 'haunted' seems like a bit much but then again everything associated w/ TLOU2 was a bit much lol. much like the first game it's an interesting narrative experiment that had no emotional resonance with me

OP
OP
Aldro

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I still think about how Ellie was such a trash person in TLOU2 and how some people just can't see it.
She suffered greatly and by extension went through an entire game of self hatred and anger. Both Abby and Joel were no different. Except we didn't spend an entire game during the peak of their trauma. There is still a story left to tell with her and I really believe Neil is on it.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Same here..I wanted to do another playthrough but it's emotionally draining! I'll probably replay it on PS5 when it gets patched/remastered..

OP
OP
Aldro

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Yep, I feel the same. I've been meaning to replay it (and maybe even platinum it) ever since I finished, but I was left so devastated and overwhelmed by everything that happened in the story, that I still can't pick it back up. Perhaps in a couple more months, when I get a PS5.
Exactly same here. I have a PS5 and the game downloaded but I can't bring myself to play it because of how powerful and exhausting it felt.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 was so emotionally crippling to play, it was great. It's one of those games I want to do a full replay of but I can't bare to play it again so soon.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Aldro

I really, really, really, really, really recommend just replaying it. The second playthrough is incredibly different from the first.

A lot of the game's pacing doesn't make much sense the first time around, but once you know whats coming, it really does and playing it through lets you really appreciate the time spent building up to the hits. And at the very least for me, while it's still brutal, it's not the emotionally draining experience I found it at first. In fact, it's the opposite. I like it as comfort food, going back to areas just to hang out there for a little bit.

The strange thing about tragedies, the truly great ones, is that they make you want to linger on them.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Same here. Punched me in the stomach like no other game ever has.
Hope to replay it again when a ps5 update (fingers crossed) lands.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Honestly, no. I loved the game, it was amazing, absolutely enthralling and emotional (during), but it didn't have any lasting impact on me or my emotions.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in addition to the structural problems i also think one of its main narrative conceits, the protagonist shift against player expectation, is better executed in MGS2.
I don't think anything will ever top MGS2 in that aspect to be honest. I'm really happy that Druckmann said that MGS2 inspired him for TLOU2 in a podcast.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

Abby was to me the real surprise of TLOU2, i loved everything about the character, how you realize that she went through a lot, etc

But yeah i still think about the game and how ND somehow managed to subvert expectations and not just release a "TLOU 2 : Let's play safe and deliver a second TLOU1" edition.
Ellie did the same stuff as Abby, though. Only difference is Abby lucked into finding her target within 5 minutes of searching, so it was a lot more "cleaner". She even suggested torturing people from Jackson for info.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

Weird comment considering the trauma she went through, but alright. Ellie and Abby are very very similar so I don't know how can say that about Ellie, but not Abby.

@OP I feel exactly the same way, haven't touched the game since I got the platinum.

May 19, 2020
I don't think anything will ever top MGS2 in that aspect to be honest. I'm really happy that Druckmann said that MGS2 inspired him for TLOU2 in a podcast.
yeah generally speaking it's strange to see the occasional pattern of anti-kojima sentiment appear on ERA when he is held in such high regard by his peers and clearly inspires their work to this day

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Yep, the whole game was a depressing, emotional and amazing experience. The fact that many people have such strong emotions towards the game, wether good or bad is a testament to how well made it is.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I don't think MGS2 was better if I'm honest. Much more secretive yes, better? not for me. In that game, I wanted to play as Snake and for the majority of the game I was made to play as Raiden. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but I was a bit annoyed about that. In TLOUP2 I got my fill of playing as Ellie and by the time Abby's storyline started I didn't feel like Ellie was 'snatched away' from me like Snake was.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There's a cutscene at the end of Ellie's portion where she's talking to Tommy and Jesse, where Tommy tells Ellie that they have to give up looking for Abby. They animated Ellie playing with her fingers in a contemplative way that sells how disappointed she is.

I know that's random, but moments like that are what sell the emotions in this game. Characters in this game consistently express themselves with the kind of physicality you usually only expect to see real people do in movies. It's fascinating.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Weird comment considering the trauma she went through, but alright. Ellie and Abby are very very similar so I don't know how can say that about Ellie, but not Abby.

@OP I feel exactly the same way, haven't touched the game since I got the platinum.
I think the same about both though, now what?

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game and an amazing story.

Sadly the gaming sphere isnt quite ready yet to appreciate something like this. Fingers crossed in years to come we will do that.

May 19, 2020
I don't think MGS2 was better if I'm honest. Much more secretive yes, better? not for me. In that game, I wanted to play as Snake and for the majority of the game I was made to play as Raiden. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but I was a bit annoyed about that. In TLOUP2 I got my fill of playing as Ellie and by the time Abby's storyline started I didn't feel like Ellie was 'snatched away' from me like Snake was.
the fact that you still feel like snake was "taken away" from you means MGS2 still works hard 19 years later lol

it's probably not unlike the people who feel that joel was "taken away" from them or that they were "made" to play as abby, it's deliberate and an obvious thematic tribute to MGS2

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Saw my friend play through it for his first time and it was so awesome to re-experience it all again through him. Such an epic game and possibly my favorite game of all time.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Even weirder to think that going through a trauma means that you can be the shittiest person on Earth, but alright.

Ellie is a teenager living through the last days of humanity and seeing all she loves crumbles around her, i don't think we or anyone would be the budda in that situation and we would be kinda trash too to try to keep our life standing.

people expect Ellie to be a paladin and forget she's 19.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Same here. Still get goosebumps when I think about some dialogues or see something on social media. Definitely the most haunting, devastating and hard hitting game I've ever play. I'm sure I'll never get over this particular feeling I get every time I think about it.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
the fact that you still feel like snake was "taken away" from you means MGS2 still works hard 19 years later lol

it's probably not unlike the people who feel that joel was "taken away" from them or that they were "made" to play as abby, it's deliberate

it worked but it was way cheaper. it lacked the build up and the conection required with Raiden to really work for me.

Kojima walked for Naughty Dog to run.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I loved about the game is seeing the character's personalities reflected in what they collect and have in their possessions. Ellie has all the gamer and comic stuff, while you see Abby collecting coins and owning loads of books including classic literature.

Seeing those little moments is great with all the characters, I disliked Manny a lot in my first playthrough, but the second time around I really came around to like his character.

I think most of it is in how the eyes and faces are expressive (Heck, their animation as a whole). It makes the whole thing feel alive.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The character switches in MGS2 and TLOU2 serve entirely different purposes so I don't see the point in comparing the two.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Ellie sucks and this game is overrated. There's many problems with the story but it's been discussed to death.

The thing that bugged me the most is the fact they encounter each other numerous times and they purposely write around any meaningful conversation between Ellie and Abby just to keep motives in the dark and the hunt going. Literally a quick sentence or two would have put pause to whole situation.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Ellie is a teenager living through the last days of humanity and seeing all she loves crumbles around her, i don't think we or anyone would be the budda in that situation and we would be kinda trash too to try to keep our life standing.

people expect Ellie to be a paladin and forget she's 19.

That's a good point, you also gotta remember that she didn't grow up in a normal world, this is all she knows.

May 19, 2020
it worked but it was way cheaper. it lacked the build up and the conection required with Raiden to really work for me.

MGS2 i feel is more interesting because of its overall commentary on our connection with both information (this became ultra resonant) and media but we can agree to disagree, nbd.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Facts.

Im glad we got to play Ellie again in that breaking bad-esque camp. I didn't really enjoy the Abby part of the game but I truly appreciate seeing her side even if I don't care for her.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Ellie sucks and this game is overrated. There's many problems with the story but it's been discussed to death.

The thing that bugged me the most is the fact they encounter each other numerous times and they purposely write around any meaningful conversation between Ellie and Abby just to keep motives in the dark and the hunt going. Literally a quick sentence or two would have put pause to whole situation.

Considering they don't it feels like the most human thing in the whole game.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
A friend of mine completed it recently. He was sharing his reactions constantly and I was surprised how impactful this game still feels to me after 6 months as I've been reading his shocked comments at some scenes.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Game of the generation to be quite honest.

I finished it about 5 months ago and I can pretty much remember it scene for scene.

Games like that are the only reason I'll be looking at purchasing a playstation 5 in a few years.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
Potential TLOU2 spoilers (obviously)!

Era, so I have a tendency to sometimes watch game related tribute and music videos on Youtube. Yet I am unable to watch anything TLOU2 related because the story is so devastating that it instantly brings me to full on tears. The theme of letting go of hatred to save that last bit of your humanity and soul always hits me like a ton of bricks.

Can anyone relate and do you still think about the game?
I feel the same. Such a heartbreaking experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it haunts me, but yes I still think about the game a lot. I know it's my GOTY, but I still can't decide if it's actually my favourite game of all time or if I still prefer Nier Automata or the original The Last of Us. I really want to replay it but I want to wait for a PS5 update (or remaster lol) beforehand.

It's top of the class when it comes to third person shooter gameplay imo. Phantom Pain is the only game that comes close to it and while that certainly offers more freedom in how you approach scenarios, I don't think the gunplay in it is anywhere near as good as Part II.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

When two people hate each other there's really nothing to be said. Either we spare each other or kill each other.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Having just played TLOU2 over this past week, it's definitely very impactful.

That's the thing that gets me though... I wouldn't consider the first game "safe" by any stretch of the imagination, so I cannot possibly fathom why anybody would've expected or wanted that from TLOU2. It's not Uncharted.

Do they? I can only recall them encountering each other three times, under circumstances that are literally the furthest from ideal for having a quick chat... the first of which is when Abby is literally in the process of killing Joel, and the other two times are when they track each other down for the express purpose of getting revenge. They didn't write around shit, no words could've just magically put the whole situation on ice.