• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Normal country

www.forbes.com

Majority Of Republicans Believe The QAnon Conspiracy Theory Is Partly Or Mostly True, Survey Finds

72% of Democrats say the QAnon conspiracy is “not true at all.”

One in three Republicans (33%) say they believe the QAnon theory about a conspiracy among deep-state elites is "mostly true," and another 23% say "some parts" are true.

Only 4% of Democrats think the theory is even partly true, according to the Daily Kos/Civiqs poll, with 72% of Dems responding that the QAnon conspiracy is "not true at all."

QAnon supporters claim President Trump is defending the planet from a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles (consisting mostly of Hollywood celebrities, liberal politicians and "deep-state" government officials) who are running a secret child sex-trafficking ring.

President Trump drew criticism late last month after he declined to denounce QAnon, with the president claiming they "love America" and stating, "I understand that they like me very much, which I appreciate."

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell is the 28% who believe any part of it's true among Democrats

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Terrifying.

The only consolation to me is that I guess it's possible a lot of the respondents might not really be aware of what Qanon is. I'm going to go with that, for my sanity

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mgs2_create_context.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's funny as fuck that Republican politicians are mad Trump won't denounce Q-Anon when they have been pushing America towards anti-intellectualism for decades. Funny in a "laugh the pain away" kinda way.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I think with the wording it's more accurate to say it's not qanon they believe in per se, but in the theory it promotes of the "deep state elites".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1980s: Moral Majority, Satanic pedophile rings!!
1990s: Black helicopters NWO one world government!!
2000s: The terrorists!!!!!!!!!
2010s: Tea Party, Birthers, anti-vaxxers, alt right
2020s: just mash everything up fuck it

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018

Most conspiracy theories have a piece of truth to them, in this case, there are pedophile rings out there being used by powerful people. Your average person also has no idea just how insane this cult is so they might not know anything about JFK Jr, psychic vampires, or the culling they dream about. They think it's just about sex trafficking and think "sure, we all saw what happened with Epstein".

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
1980s: Moral Majority, Satanic pedophile rings!!
1990s: Black helicopters NWO one world government!!
2000s: The terrorists!!!!!!!!!
2010s: Tea Party, Birthers, anti-vaxxers, alt right
2020s: just mash everything up fuck it

shit...palette swap and mash up enemies are a sign the devs are out of ideas. looks like we're in the later levels of the simulation.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My mother who uses Facebook daily has unfortunately come across multiple Qanon related images (she has no clue what Qanon is but many of the images/posts she has shown me have Qanon as a tag or as text on the picture) over the past few months and many of the things she see's she believes is true. I've done what I can to debunk everything she's shown me that's Qanon related and provide articles showing why they are false and the dangers of this kind of misinformation but have had only mild success in getting her mind to change.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
56% of them are absolutely stupid as fuck.

Questions were misleading

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
FYI the poll question was awful. There was a recent poll where something like 5% of people even know about Qanon. (Sorry it was a 2019 poll)

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
more concerning is why only 72% of dems think its bullshit. Who is the other 28% that thinks its true and still voting for Biden? This poll has to be borked.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
This is an infection worse than Covid. The worst part is that it spills over into other countries. Five years ago I would have considered us in Germany immune to that particular brand of lunacy. Not anymore...

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm guessing older Democrats see QAnon and figure it's a skater t-shirt brand or something. It hasn't hit the mainstream outside of gullible conservatives.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about this conspiracy is that it has far more support among Republicans than Democrats, and pro-Trump than anti-Trump people, yet the underlying premise is that Trump is so weak and inept of a president that after nearly four years he has still failed to do anything about this deep state plot happening right under his nose.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how so many people can get roped into trusting anonymous edgelords rolling their faces on keyboards.

I read the thread title and immediately started thinking about memetic SCPs, which is probably not good.
A misinformation campaign that ultimately makes people harm each other pretty much is one.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The thing about this conspiracy is that it has far more support among Republicans than Democrats, and pro-Trump than anti-Trump people, yet the underlying premise is that Trump is so weak and inept of a president that after nearly four years he has still failed to do anything about this deep state plot happening right under his nose.

Ah not true he had John McCain and GHwB secretly executed for treason

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
74% of Americans also claim to believe in some sort of organised religion.

There is nothing new or alarming here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I don't think it's unbelievable that there is a cabal of rich sickos like Prince Andrew doing pedo shit considering everything with Jeffery Epstein. Qanon wackos just took it way further and are stupid enough to think Trump of all people is on their side.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think it's unbelievable that there is a cabal of rich sickos like Prince Andrew doing pedo shit considering everything with Jeffery Epstein. Qanon wackos just took it way further.
Also, the Catholic Church. Also, the US Government overthrowing countries, Cointellpro, mass surveillance and the MK Ultra Experiments on unknowing people. If you are some random person who thinks QAnon is just some people saying the CIA/Government are doing shady shit and human trafficking, this answer is not really crazy, because it has been established the US government has worked within and around human trafficking, drug trafficking, and unauthorized arms trading.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think it's unbelievable that there is a cabal of rich sickos like Prince Andrew doing pedo shit considering everything with Jeffery Epstein. Qanon wackos just took it way further and are stupid enough to think Trump of all people is on their side.
Sure but there's rarely if ever any specifics and what specifics do exist have been wrong.
You could legitimately claim 9/11 was an inside job started by Reagan if you want to stretch things out to the level of qanon's vagueness with certain claims.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the Catholic Church. Also, the US Government overthrowing countries, Cointellpro, mass surveillance and the MK Ultra Experiments on unknowing people. If you are some random person who thinks QAnon is just some people saying the CIA/Government are doing shady shit and human trafficking, this answer is not really crazy, because it has been established the US government has worked within and around human trafficking, drug trafficking, and unauthorized arms trading.
US government aids and abets most of the human trafficking in the US, which is primarily immigrants brought over for agricultural labor and then kept in exploitative labor conditions they can't leave for fear of deportation.

None of what you've described is similar to Q Anon though, which is just the Satanic Panic rebranded to protect Donald Trump.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I finally googled "Qanon"...
tenor.gif

Some of the people in this f-ing country are out of their goddamn minds.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It sure is showing how you can convince a large group of people that anything is true by throwing shit at the wall. And I have no idea why the left hasn't even tried to do this aside from jokes that never catch on.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sure is showing how you can convince a large group of people that anything is true by throwing shit at the wall. And I have no idea why the left hasn't even tried to do this aside from jokes that never catch on.
Because this stuff doesn't work with leftist worldviews/belief systems. This crap is the kind of thing fascism is built on, whereas in order to be a leftist you have to be at least somewhat aware of the complexities of the world and the way systemic issues in society function.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I think the left generally agrees encouraging conspiracy theories with no grounding in reality is bad.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but there's rarely if ever any specifics and what specifics do exist have been wrong.
You could legitimately claim 9/11 was an inside job started by Reagan if you want to stretch things out to the level of qanon's vagueness with certain claims.

Right but that's why it's not surprising that someone say they believe in parts of Q or the vague ideas they think it touches on without knowing the stupid plainly false details like the cast of Friends being executed for their crimes and replaced by clones.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
US government aids and abets most of the human trafficking in the US, which is primarily immigrants brought over for agricultural labor and then kept in exploitative labor conditions they can't leave for fear of deportation.

None of what you've described is similar to Q Anon though, which is just the Satanic Panic rebranded to protect Donald Trump.
It's a bit more complicated and specific then that unfortunately.

It's the natural consequence of both conspiratorial and magical thinking and also the trend of messianic cults of personality around politicians running into a wall of goverment dysfunction, austerity and social decline

dead on about the point that 56% are ready to believe some version of the real thing if it's presented right

it's uh not great

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Of course they do, they've brainwashed themselves with an unhealthy amount of Fox News, Facebook "stories" and Youtube and the older they are the worse it gets.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right but that's why it's not surprising that someone say they believe in parts of Q or the vague ideas they think it touches on without knowing the stupid plainly false details like the cast of Friends being executed for their crimes and replaced by clones.
Q Anon isn't "powerful people often get away with abusing vulnerable people in society" it's the belief that there is a secret shadow cabal of Hollywood elites, Democrat-voting tech business leaders, Democratic politicians, and Jews engaging in systemic child abductions and abuse for the purposes of harvesting "adrenochrome" from their traumatized brains to use as a drug and for satanic rituals, and that Donald Trump is secretly fighting to bring this Satanic cabal down. The former is a reasonably true belief; the latter is sheer insanity.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Q Anon isn't "powerful people often get away with abusing vulnerable people in society" it's the belief that there is a secret shadow cabal of Hollywood elites, Democrat-voting tech business leaders, Democratic politicians, and Jews engaging in systemic child abductions and abuse for the purposes of harvesting "adrenochrome" from their traumatized brains to use as a drug and for satanic rituals, and that Donald Trump is secretly fighting to bring this Satanic cabal down. The former is a reasonably true belief; the latter is sheer insanity.
How many people responding to this poll even know what QAnon is to that extent though?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Okay, I did not know about this bit of Q-Anon lore. Wow. Incredible stuff lol.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit more complicated and specific then that unfortunately.

It's the natural consequence of both conspiratorial and magical thinking and also the trend of messianic cults of personality around politicians running into a wall of goverment dysfunction, austerity and social decline

dead on about the point that 56% are ready to believe some version of the real thing if it's presented right

it's uh not great
Oh sure, and it's a precursor to fascism as well.

Unless we're talking about how the DNC rigged the primaries of course
Pretty fucking insulting of you to even compare these two thing, honestly.