• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
More from the twilight zone:
Just weeks before a COVID-19 vaccine is expected to be made available to U.S. medical workers and first responders, an internal survey taken by members of the country's largest fire department shows that more than 50% say they would not take it, mirroring what appears to be a nationwide hesitancy to get the shot.

The survey of 2,000 members of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) showed that 55% of participants said they would not bother to get inoculated.

Andrew Ansbro, the president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, said the results of the survey are concerning in light of 200 members of the fire department currently being out sick with coronavirus.

"As a union, we are encouraging our members to get the vaccine, but we are defending that right to make that choice," Ansbro said at a news conference Sunday.

The FDNY has a total of nearly 11,000 uniformed employees, and Anbro said the survey results are likely indicative of the overall attitude among members of the department.

He said the reluctance among FDNY members to get the vaccine is generally fueled by a lack of information.

"The reasons for that are probably the same reasons everyone else doesn't want it: It is a new vaccine, they don't have enough information," Ansbro said.

abcnews.go.com

Over half of NYC firefighters would refuse COVID-19 vaccine, survey finds

More than 50% of New York City firefighters said in a survey that they would not take a COVID-19 vaccine.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, I just had to call the FDNY the other day for a fume smell in my apartment. Not only were they completely unhelpful, telling me that the black smoke and diesel smell invading invading my apartment and causing my lightheadedness was from my neighbor cooking (???), they were also happy to pile into my apartment shoulder to shoulder with no masks on.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That sucks, but as a silver lining, not everyone needs to get the vaccine for it effectively work I guess.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
To counter this, I'm going to light my house on fire and breathe in all the smoke. Don't have enough information on smoke inhalation to avoid it. My body, my freedom. Rock, flag, and eagleeeeeeeeee

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I would imagine similar numbers across most job classifications. People seem oddly hesitant to take the vaccine. Even here on era that probably isn't far off of a percentage.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we start forbidding things like travelling without being vaccinated once everyone had the chance to get one. But also, the fewer people want the vaccine, the faster I'll have mine.

I could install a smoke alarm but I want more information first.
I installed a smoke alarm and one week later I had a fire in my house. I never had fires before. The smoke alarm causes fires.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Should vaccine trial data be publicized more (with personal information removed) to help address these fears? I feel like a lot of people think the vaccine is rushed or not tested properly, when it's actually going through the same testing process as everything else.

It seems to be the main sticking point for people, even for people on this forum.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Should vaccine trial data be publicized more (with personal information removed) to help address these fears? I feel like a lot of people think the vaccine is rushed or not tested properly, when it's actually going through the same testing process as everything else.

It seems to be the main sticking point for people, even for people on this forum.
No, but it might need to be explained why it usually takes so long and what fat was cut to speed up the development now. Ie no red tape, more money, more manpower.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

I think most people just dig their heels in and remain as obstinate as possible in the face of information once they choose that path. The same people refusing vaccines would also pop a prescribed painkiller from a doctor without thought, but a vaccine is where they stop trusting science.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
No, but it might need to be explained why it usually takes so long and what fat was cut to speed up the development now. Ie no red tape, more money, more manpower.

its easier to be convinced of to not take a vaccine and let other people get sick. it "isn't their problem" and there's no guarantee anyone will understand the points you laid out.

people dont give 2 thoughts about where a vaccine comes from, who makes them, etc. it comes from the doctor and it hurts when they put it in your arm.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

20-30% of people are skeptical of vaccines in general. 10% are flatout anti-vaxxers. Add in the current political climate and speed in which this has been created, it really doesn't matter how you communicate or try to inform people, it will be a major uphill battle getting 50% or more of people willingly taking it.

It's really going to be a situation where a significant portion of society will take the wait and see approach, which will ultimately mean this thing isn't going away in a hurry.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I know the area around me is genuinely worried about the vaccine for stupid reasons such as thinking that it's just a way for the government to track them (specifically the Democrats).

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah 40% of the country is stupid so not a surprise unfortunately.

Now if you told me this was about Heath care workers I'd freak the fuck out.

Oct 27, 2017
Hundreds of years of scientific and medical progress and it's undone in a decade or two by fuckwits on Facebook.

Nov 21, 2017
I have some friends who are democrats saying they would not take the vaccine right now. Mostly because of how the government has handled the pandemic, and we have an idiot asshole in office. So take that as you will.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have some friends who are democrats saying they would not take the vaccine right now. Mostly because of how the government has handled the pandemic, and we have an idiot asshole in office. So take that as you will.
I take it as an ignorant stance.

Listen, if 99.9% of doctors take the vaccine (and they will), I'm taking the vaccine the moment I can.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember when Era users were echoing the same sentiment months ago.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
what is any adult vaccination rate? I feel like we would be way worse off if we didn't have long lasting vaccines given during childhood.

Oct 27, 2017
20-30% of people are skeptical of vaccines in general. 10% are flatout anti-vaxxers. Add in the current political climate and speed in which this has been created, it really doesn't matter how you communicate or try to inform people, it will be a major uphill battle getting 50% or more of people willingly taking it.

It's really going to be a situation where a significant portion of society will take the wait and see approach, which will ultimately mean this thing isn't going away in a hurry.

Ironically probably the same people protesting against any form of lockdown and asking to be able to live without restrictions.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame but it's hardly surprising. Healthy adults simply don't need vaccines for most things so unless you convince them that it will help others so they should take it anyway, a lot won't want it. The only real solution is to give the vaccine to the people who need it most (to prevent most of the deaths) and who are most willing to take it then, when it's proven there's nothing wrong with the vaccine, more people will fall in line.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Firefighters are basically cops in terms of culture and politics. I dunno if they were always that way or if it's a post-9/11 thing, but it's well-established by now. Lots of fire stations caught shit this year for flying Blue Lives Matter flags, for instance.

So yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. They're exactly the kind of people to think that mask requirements are a communist plot or whatever the fuck, so of course they're anti-vaccine.
Should vaccine trial data be publicized more (with personal information removed) to help address these fears?
It would help with some peoples' concerns, but I doubt it would matter here, for the cultural reasons I mentioned above.

Oct 27, 2017
You need 75%-85% of the population vaccinated, at the vaccines' success rates of 70-95%, in order to start going back to "normal". IHME's state-by-state breakdown currently shows NYS doesn't have enough "will get the vaccine" polled responses to meet the 75% threshold.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You need 75%-85% of the population vaccinated, at the vaccines' success rates of 70-95%, in order to start going back to "normal". IHME's state-by-state breakdown currently shows NYS doesn't have enough "will get the vaccine" polled responses to meet the 75% threshold.
In all honesty it'll likely climb as the vaccine spreads throughout communities and states, word of mouth spreads, family members get it, etc.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
If only 45% of the population gets the shot, the virus isn't going away.

It isn't going away anyway until after we start pediatric safety trials. With kids under 12 not getting any form of the vaccines on the horizon, we aren't hitting herd immunity. Pfizer/Moderna/etc. need to get their pediatric trial study plans moving.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Based on what little I know about the mRNA vaccine methods they're using, the main development of the process has been done over the last decade or so. If I understand the process correctly, they're just programming your own cells to manufacture the viral indicators (spike proteins) without the whole virus. This means there's no need to cultivate and harvest and actual viral culture beyond sequencing of the original DNA sequence of the virus.

The COVID-19 vaccine may well be the first of its kind and could revolutionize the vaccine production and development process.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Restrict travel, bar entry, hospital entry, etc. unless you bring proof of vaccination. That will make most people on the fence just bite the bullet and get it out of convenience

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So they save your life and then potentially infect you through asymptomatic spread, huffing and puffing through your apartment building, great job.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
The right has made everything about this pandemic political from the get go. People on the right refuse the science (and all reason) , and people on the left are skeptical or untrusting of a vaccine made under the Trump administration. All the the bullshit that has taken place over this entire year was always going to end with a lot of people not believing in the validity of the Vaccine.