• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm still interested in the game but figured I'd wait for it to be on sale some day.

Not even an anti-EGS thing, just looked like a game I'd be happier paying $20-30 for.

Oct 27, 2017
This forum is really bad about thinking games are a disaster because they didn't sell a bajiliion copies instantly. Some games do have tails and sell well over time.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean do you think a single player metriod style game has a tail? I guess we will be.
Alan Wake has one. Plenty of games sell over time with sales, and extra content. Control will have several expansions over the next few months that will be advertised on platforms with bundles and deals. The idea the game will stop selling entirely is silly.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
That deal made them more than half the money the first month of game sales made.... I'd say 505 made a genius choice taking that bag of Epic money.

Yeah, the Epic deal seems like the only thing that staved off disaster in favor of mere disappointment.

But I seriously have no idea how Remedy pitches their next game in a world where they released a game that did everything right and still flopped. After Quantum Break you could say that they just needed to drop the TV stuff and all that, but now it just seems like the market doesn't care for their style, which really sucks to see.

Alan Wake has one. Plenty of games sell over time with sales, and extra content. Control will have several expansions over the next few months that will be advertised on platforms with bundles and deals. The idea the game will stop selling entirely is silly.

They're already past the initial word-of-mouth period. Any further sales at this point are largely going to be at massive discount. Tails are great sweeteners for already successful games, they can turn a moderate success into a big one, but you're really not going to turn around a project that made a loss after 3 months.

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that Remedy would be more valuable to MS in promoting game pass than another publisher who has to rely on traditional game sales. Control was a relatively inexpensive game to make.

I don't get the impression Remedy wants to make Game Pass fodder, but it might be hard to get an AAA budget with their recent commercial performances.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Epic deal seems like the only thing that staved off disaster in favor of mere disappointment.

But I seriously have no idea how Remedy pitches their next game in a world where they released a game that did everything right and still flopped. After Quantum Break you could say that they just needed to drop the TV stuff and all that, but now it just seems like the market doesn't care for their style, which really sucks to see.
by doing the thing that people who love them fear: make a GaaS loot shooter

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why people didn't buy Control, it seemed like a very mass market game (at least for the SP genre).
On PC? Epic Store Exclusive. Game had virtually no buzz around it already and was sent out to die on a contrversal platform. I do hope the deal had enough money in it to justify the exclusivity in the end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PC? Epic Store Exclusive. Game had virtually no buzz around it already and was sent out to die on a contrversal platform. I do hope the deal had enough money in it to justify the exclusivity in the end.
The game didn't do well anywhere else. I doubt the steam hardliners would have been enough to save the game

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't seem all that great for Bloodstained ROTN either...

Not as much of a bomba as Control, but it didn't do well either.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
When you end up signing deals with everyone, you end up selling the game to no one.

A harsh lesson to remember.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if the exclusive preorder and DLC stuff hurt the game 🤔.
People hate games with charts that show which version has what DLC.
I bought Alan Wake and Quantum Break shortly after release and I loved both, especially Alan Wake.
But, yeah, this is why I haven't bought Control yet. I'll either wait for Game Pass or until the Xbox version has the same content as the PS4 version. Sorry, Remedy.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
not on pc. everything I heard was the pc version was near flawless.

it wasnt that great on all platforms. but yeah basically Remedy don't have any mainstream reputation at all. All of their recent games bombed since Alan Wake and their output is way too slow

legit the selling point of Control is that you'll get to see Alan Wake in a dlc / down the line and thats it. But since its remedy you'll not get a follow up so why would you even bother

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control is amazing and deserves so much more. One of the few games I platinumed because it's so much fun. I also bought the season pass a few days ago since I look forward to spending more time with this game...and it was on sale :)

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
it wasnt that great on all platforms. but yeah basically Remedy don't have any mainstream reputation at all. All of their recent games bombed since Alan Wake and their output is way too slow

legit the selling point of Control is that you'll get to see Alan Wake in a dlc / down the line and thats it. But since its remedy you'll not get a follow up so why would you even bother

It ran flawlessy on Xbox One X except when you pulled out the map.

I think the game is excellent but it's a cult game at best. It just doesn't have the personality or star power to be a hit. It's Remedy game, probably their best though. My personal game of the year for sure, it's odd you compare it to Alan Wake considering Alan Wake's gameplay was its weakest point.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
It ran flawlessy on Xbox One X except when you pulled out the map.

I think the game is excellent but it's a cult game at best. It just doesn't have the personality or star power to be a hit. It's Remedy game, probably their best though. My personal game of the year for sure, it's odd you compare it to Alan Wake considering Alan Wake's gameplay was its weakest point.

What I'm trying to say is that Remedy just don't have mainstream reputation since their Max Payne days. They pander to people who like their almost eerie approach to the medium, but even their try at doing something more appealing kinda failed. (talking about Quantum Break)

They don't manage to create something hitting all the right notes at once, which is a shame given that they got the talent. (well at least it seems like it)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I was just lazy and divided 17M of revenue by $60/copy. If you figure $40/copy on consoles then it's around 450K copies sold. Since they are getting a 88/12 split from Epic on PC then it's kind of difficult to accurately guess the number of copies sold.

they don't get anything from Epic until the sales guarantee is over (which was included in the quarter before this one)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What I'm trying to say is that Remedy just don't have mainstream reputation since their Max Payne days. They pander to people who like their almost eerie approach to the medium, but even their try at doing something more appealing kinda failed. (talking about Quantum Break)

They don't manage to create something hitting all the right notes at once, which is a shame given that they got the talent. (well at least it seems like it)

They had same issue Prey had. Marketing was bad, really bad. They went with streamers for marketing instead going for ads on TV, YouTube... You can't sell something between AA and AAA from reputable studio without proper marketing. And studios and publishers need to understand that streamers don't sell games.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019

Ah, that's totally right. That's what I meant that it's a Remedy Game. It's for people who like their games, its mainstream appeal is very limited.

I should probably play Quantum Break at some point.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Control is one of the best games of this year, maybe the generation for me. It's sad to see it fail.

To be fair, it had close to 0 marketing. 505 Games seems pretty bad with that.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
People don't tend drop $60/ÂŁ50 on fairly short single player games anymore. It will be the last mid tier single player game I will buy day one (unless I am really hyped for it and get good reviews) , as I am now prepared to wait for games to hit a subscription services, The Epic/Steam didn't help.

Gone is generation of kids/adults who would trade in a new game every few weeks, therefore picking up the more niche titles.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You can't sell something between AA and AAA from reputable studio without proper marketing. And studios and publishers need to understand that streamers don't sell games.
To be fair, it had close to 0 marketing. 505 Games seems pretty bad with that.
You can't market a title like that like you would a AAA-game; the marketing costs for AAA-like marketing are so high that you have to have a much better return from the game that your average boxed title can do (most AAA-games yield additional returns from MTX, so they can afford to pay a lot more more in marketing, because the average return per customer is much higher, or they can subsidize the costs by other things like moving more consoles etc.) or you have very strong brand where the advertisement is much more effective (not something that's applicable for a game like Control). I hear the "next no marketing" argument so often, but almost always it has nothing to do with the publisher not knowing their work, but the economics of the games and marketing industry these days. The advertising costs are being driven up by games that get 100-200€ back per customer, and if you aren't doing the same, you can't compete in the same advertising spaces.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
You can't market a title like that like you would a AAA-game; the marketing costs for AAA-like marketing are so high that you have to have a much better return from the game that your average boxed title can do (most AAA-games yield additional returns from MTX, so they can afford to pay a lot more more in marketing, because the average return per customer is much higher, or they can subsidize the costs by other things like moving more consoles etc.) or you have very strong brand where the advertisement is much more effective (not something that's applicable for a game like Control). I hear the "next no marketing" argument so often, but almost always it has nothing to do with the publisher not knowing their work, but the economics of the games and marketing industry these days. The advertising costs are being driven up by games that get 100-200€ back per customer, and if you aren't doing the same, you can't compete in the same advertising spaces.

Marketing is expensive for sure. But many publishers and developers are wasting money on marketing that has no effect. I don't know how many times I saw indie developer say how paying "bigger" streamer to play the game resulted very low amounts of sales.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Next time Remedy please don't make these 'Sci-Fi cinematic experiences' Remedy especially the ones inspired by quantum break. I've had enough of those. Maybe they should make something that goes back to their roots and also is popular among their fans?

As a remedy fan i've been totally off with their choice of work Post Alan Wake.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Marketing is expensive for sure. But many publishers and developers are wasting money on marketing that has no effect. I don't know how many times I saw indie developer say how paying "bigger" streamer to play the game resulted very low amounts of sales.
If it was fully ineffective, the publishers would not be doing; they have a lot of analytics to work with than indie developers and having some experience from that department, if something is not ROI positive, it's going to get dropped soon. Yes, not every marketing campaign is going to work, but when it comes to marketing Dunning-Kruger effect is massive when people seem to have the idea that they know marketing a lot better than professionals who we've been working on it for a long time. You say publishers are "wasting money on marketing that has no effect" yet I see no data in front of me - but from experience I know that these publishers actually do work with said data. I've seen plenty of influencer campaigns that have also been massively effective, so one anecdote of an indie title, isn't enough for me say that it's a waste of money (and also a ton of poor influencer campaigns, it's too broad of marketing tool to say it's only good or only bad).

But that said, yes marketing becomes easily ineffective and expensive if a game does not have natural traction with the audience - but that only means the concept of the game is not easily marketable / does not contain enough of an audience. But thankfully least in the case of Control it'd seem like the EGS exclusive has definitely helped a long way with covering the costs.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Next time Remedy please don't make these 'Sci-Fi cinematic experiences' Remedy especially the ones inspired by quantum break. I've had enough of those. Maybe they should make something that goes back to their roots and also is popular among their fans?

As a remedy fan i've been totally off with their choice of work Post Alan Wake.

What classifies Control as a "cinematic experience"?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A cinematic movie like gaming experience with umm big known voice actors from TV shows further giving it a cinematic tone?
But well I said 'Sci-Fi Cinematic experience' and not just purely a cinematic experience. I really don't like these two things bonding together in a game.

I guess I just don't see how it's more movie-like/cinematic than any other third-person shooter with cutscenes. Is it the use of FMV or returning VAs from previous Remedy games? I don't really remember any of the VAs being from big TV shows.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I guess I just don't see how it's more movie-like/cinematic than any other third-person shooter with cutscenes. Is it the use of FMV or returning VAs from previous Remedy games? I don't really remember any of the VAs being from big TV shows.
Quantum Break and Control are recent examples of Sci-Fi Cinematic experiences. Not the use of FMV or returning VAs from previous Remedy games here but more like having the game feel like a cinematic sci-fi movie with lots of cutscenes and the gameplay having also a very cinematic feel? I personally don't mind the gameplay having a cinematic feel since max payne has this embedded into it also but when all these things mesh together to create this sci-fi experience, i really really don't feel like touching it.

Also I guess Control didn't have these VAs i was talking about but Quantum Break certainly had the MC and the antagonist as one of those.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Quantum Break and Control are recent examples of Sci-Fi Cinematic experiences. Not the use of FMV or returning VAs from previous Remedy games here but more like having the game feel like a cinematic sci-fi movie with lots of cutscenes and the gameplay having also a very cinematic feel? I personally don't mind the gameplay having a cinematic feel since max payne has this embedded into it also but when all these things meh together to create this sci-fi experience, i really really don't feel like touching it.

Also I guess Control didn't have these VAs i was talking about but Quantum Break certainly had the MC and the antagonist as one of those.

Ah I see now, thanks for clarifying.

Oct 27, 2017
If I was a publisher it would take a LOT for me to invest in anything Remedy presented to me. That's not because of game quality : Their games just don't sell.
And people wonder why MS moved on from Remedy

I mean, their games seem to be pretty good overall, get good MC scores and are received pretty well by the consumers, so is the fault really with them or is it something else with the market or that they are failed by poor marketing? Seems like Max Payne did better than Alan Wake did better than Quantum Break did better than Control. Would they do better with a big publisher like Sony who suits their style of game and could put more marketing in?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, their games seem to be pretty good overall, get good MC scores and are received pretty well by the consumers, so is the fault really with them or is it something else with the market or that they are failed by poor marketing? Seems like Max Payne did better than Alan Wake did better than Quantum Break did better than Control. Would they do better with a big publisher like Sony who suits their style of game and could put more marketing in?

Yes

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I wonder why people didn't buy Control, it seemed like a very mass market game (at least for the SP genre).

I think most people had no idea the game existed, and the title and cover don't sell it at all. EGS exclusivity on PC and bad performance on consoles didn't help either.