• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
To further fuel the fire: I received a code for Control UE on PlayStation 4. I own the base game + season pass. I went to redeem the new code and it says I already own the game.
HjMcK3H.jpg
These fucking hacks. This is downright laughable.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
It is wild that I own the $60 version of the game that's on the store now, but I do not own the same exact product (other than the next gen upgrade) that is on the store for $40. Like seriously WTF.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you think Remedy would want to do the free upgrade? Remedy is a public company, owns this IP, and financially invested a significant amount of their funds in developing the game which likely enabled them to negotiate a publishing deal where they get a percentage of the profits. It's much safer to think they have no issue with this decision their publisher, who they chose, made that's intended to generate more revenue they would likely financially benefit from until proven otherwise.

What if they didn't have much choice but to chose 505 games and any terms they offered? They are hardly the first publisher you think of to publish a game like Control.

From the way I look at it the PR damage for Remedy seems hardly worth it to sell an edition for a game that, let's face it, hardly set the sales chart on fire and I see no reason to think it is going to sell any better on the rerelease.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
4ric9it.jpg

Sony says its the same game and shares the same license
This has got to mean 505 Games is making some changes, right? How could they enforce their rule if PSN understands the UE and the base + single pass as being the same thing? I suppose the only way to do this is if both versions of the game were different SKUs, which this seems to suggest they're not.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if they didn't have much choice but to chose 505 games and any terms they offered? They are hardly the first publisher you think of to publish a game like Control.

From the way I look at it the PR damage for Remedy seems hardly worth it to sell an edition for a game that, let's face it, hardly set the sales chart on fire and I see no reason to think it is going to sell any better on the rerelease.
We don't know is my point however you would rather create a hypothetical where Remedy is some small, desperate developer with no track record and gets every benefit of the doubt where the details we do know makes it highly unlikely and they likely had some options and leverage in negotiations. Regardless, it's one thing to think Remedy had no say in this decision their publisher made, however it's another thing to think Remedy would somehow be against this decision and if given the choice they would have chosen the free upgrade option to everybody based on nothing but because, I'm assuming, you like them as a developer.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know is my point however you would rather create a hypothetical where Remedy is some small, desperate developer with no track record and gets every benefit of the doubt where the details we do know makes it highly unlikely and they likely had some options and leverage in negotiations. Regardless, it's one thing to think Remedy had no say in this decision their publisher made, however it's another thing to think Remedy would somehow be against this decision and if given the choice they would have chosen the free upgrade option to everybody based on nothing but because, I'm assuming, you like them as a developer.

But wasn't my original point was for people to keep in mind this is very likely a publisher decision, so don't automatically rage at Remedy who probably has little say even if they own the IP because they don't own the publishing rights.

On the balance of probabilities this is probably 505's call, with them being the publisher, so it's them people should be complaining to if it is going to be anyone.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But wasn't my original point was for people to keep in mind this is very likely a publisher decision, so don't automatically rage at Remedy who probably has little say even if they own the IP because they don't own the publishing rights.

On the balance of probabilities this is probably 505's call, with them being the publisher, so it's them people should be complaining to if it is going to be anyone.
My issue specifically was you saying:
I would think Remedy would want to do the free upgrade, so people should keep this in mind rather than raging at Remedy.
Hence me replying with:
Why would you think Remedy would want to do the free upgrade? Remedy is a public company, owns this IP, and financially invested a significant amount of their funds in developing the game which likely enabled them to negotiate a publishing deal where they get a percentage of the profits. It's much safer to think they have no issue with this decision their publisher, who they chose, made that's intended to generate more revenue they would likely financially benefit from until proven otherwise.
and initiating this dialogue with you

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Absent other evidence, the only sensible conclusion is that the publisher is responsible for publishing decisions. It's kind of the whole reason they exist.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absent other evidence, the only sensible conclusion is that the publisher is responsible for publishing decisions. It's kind of the whole reason they exist.
Arguing if Remedy has a say, if any, in any of the publishing decisions is one thing but believing Remedy's hands are completely clean of this issue or that they would be against this decision as a public company that likely financially benefits from this decision intended to generate more revenue based on nothing but simply giving them the benefit of the doubt because people like them as a developer is another.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Did your read what I wrote? Occam's Razor tells me Remedy hand's aren't completely clean of this situation as much as people want to believe so until I'm shown otherwise.

Shown what exactly? Remedy themselves can't openly go against their publisher, it's simply bad business and can damage potential future dealings with anybody else. They might even have some contractual obligations to stay quiet during situations like that.

As far as power dynamic is concerned, usually if not always it's the dev that gets the short end of the stick.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shown what exactly? Remedy themselves can't openly go against their publisher, it's simply bad business and can damage potential future dealings with anybody else. They might even have some contractual obligations to stay quiet during situations like that.

As far as power dynamic is concerned, usually if not always it's the dev that gets the short end of the stick.
Oh I understand the situation and it's highly unlikely they can show otherwise, but it's not enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt either knowing what we know so far. People keep viewing this through a binary lens between the 2 extremes of the all powerful, money hungry, evil publisher and the all passionate, artistic integrity, good developer with no subtlety or nuance in-between especially given what we do know.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I understand the situation and it's highly unlikely they can show otherwise, but it's not enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt either knowing what we know so far. People keep viewing this through a binary lens between the 2 extremes of the all powerful, money hungry, evil publisher and the all passionate, artistic integrity, good developer with no subtlety or nuance in-between especially given what we do know.
This is a muddled question and accusation because we simply don't know how much - if any - leverage Remedy would have for the publisher's decisions. I remember speaking with someone from Netherrealm Studios once about some of the stuff that Warner Bros did that they just had to go along with if they wanted to do something they actually did want to do. It could've been a compromise between an even worse decision. Game development between developer and publisher can be messy, and whether a developer agrees with and supports their publisher or not isn't always something they are at liberty to discuss. And a "developer" is many moving parts, with many possibly disagreeing with other parts of the staff. Ultimately, we just don't know, but we DO know that 505 Games is the publisher with the higher responsibility to "publish" the game and likely the ones who made the final call.

That's not a total defense for Remedy, but their history isn't rife with these sort of "punish the early adopter" tactics. They actually have had more positive history of support and release, including giving out free copies of some of their beloved games. As someone previously from 505 Games said earlier, the staff of 2019 isn't even the same staff of 2020 - people come and people go - and a brand, developer, and publisher's identity can shift along with it.

Regardless, I've emailed feedback to 505 Games, and I'm sure Remedy is well aware of the situation.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Getting very alright with the idea of not purchasing the next game until it's dirt cheap. They seem to prefer fans that hold off on buying their games for a year anyway.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think Remedy is innocent? They're a company that would love for people to spend money twice. All devs would.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting worse every update. If the Ultimate Edition really is the same license address the previous edition then… what the fuck is even happening?
How could they avoid early adopters getting the update? It's just ridiculous.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why do people think Remedy is innocent? They're a company that would love for people to spend money twice. All devs would.
Because it's rarely that simple, and I've spoken with enough developers over the years to know that publishers push back against a lot of developer wishes. I don't know Remedy's developers personally and I don't know what their pay structure is like. I know many developers might get a bonus for a certain amount of copies sold or hitting a certain critical reception, but most are already paid for the work they do and don't get substantial residuals from another copy of the game sold. These sort of tactics are more the kind of business decisions meant to appease shareholders and executives looking for short-term profit over long-term sustainability, and the way that Remedy talked about the game - particularly "good word-of-mouth" - as part of their plan for future Control support and support for future endeavors makes me feel that these business decisions run counter to what their intended goal was for branching out and building up a stronger community for bigger, better ventures.

Again, I don't know anyone on Remedy personally, and they may have some involvement in screwing over their most loyal and devoted fans, but this feels far more like a publisher mandate. Because nobody at 505 or Remedy has been clear about any of the "issues" that made upgrading "impossible" in the first place, I doubt we'll ever get clarity on the matter.

But if you want something done or changed, 505 would certainly be the ones with the larger muscle to reverse course than Remedy themselves.

Tried to include what we've learned but my article is live:

505 Games Is Triple Dipping with Control Ultimate Edition
Adding it to the pile.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought Control and the season pass ages ago, just platinumed it an finished both expansions. An amazing game, but I won't be buying shit from Remedy or 505 until they adress this.

Feels really shitty when I've bought every Remedy game there is and now I have to buy the Ultimate Edition even though I own the game and season pass which cost me more than just buying the Ultimate Edition. Really shitty.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I bought Control and the season pass ages ago, just platinumed it an finished both expansions. An amazing game, but I won't be buying shit from Remedy or 505 until they adress this.

Feels really shitty when I've bought every Remedy game there is and now I have to buy the Ultimate Edition even though I own the game and season pass which cost me more than just buying the Ultimate Edition. Really shitty.

It's possibly Remedy will never adress the situation as they might have little or even no say in the matter. And saying"it's all the publisher's fault" might be problematic. It would be cool to know more details about the interior of this awful decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
It's possibly Remedy will never adress the situation as they might have little or even no say in the matter. And saying"it's all the publisher's fault" might be problematic. It would be cool to know more details about the interior of this awful decisions.

I don't think Remedy has much of a say on the matter, but they're not blameless either.

But I agree that it would be nice to know what the hell happened.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is this just exclusively to PS4 or all platforms? I was eyeing the game after watching a live stream but now i feel like i need to just wait this out first.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wait, so 505 may have messed up so bad, us original owners may now own the ultimate edition anyway?

I can't check right now.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me it sounds like 505 messed up so bad that even if someone WANTED to digitally buy the Ultimate Edition when they already had the base game + season pass, they can't, because PSN thinks it's the same game?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a dumb move. They could have given it for free to people that own the game and season pass and no one would have bat an eye.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried talking a Sony rep into refunding the game and allowing you to rebuy the Ultimate Edition?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
To me it sounds like 505 messed up so bad that even if someone WANTED to digitally buy the Ultimate Edition when they already had the base game + season pass, they can't, because PSN thinks it's the same game?
Maybe that would also mean that owners of the standard edition + season pass will get the free next-gen update nevertheless. This would be kind of hilarious if they would screw that up, too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't think they've could have done much about it. And that's probably how it played out, this seems like typical publisher thing to do.

Indeed, which is why I think blaming Remedy is unfair, especially because they could hardly have antecipated this problem when the deal was signed... although I'm speaking out of my love for Control more than anything. It's an ugly story, but hopefully time will make it less nebulous.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Supreme Leader Galahad I would edit that post.

I got an infraction for tagging them in another thread about this situation, because even just tagging another member in a "negative" thread is seen as antagonising another member, even if those members are community managers or in charge of communications.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Seeing as 505 publishes Death Stranding on PC, but Sony publishes on PS4... I wonder about the fate of a DS PS5 patch, if there even is one

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a possibility that we might never know what's going on, as this issue involves three different companies: Remedy, 505 Games, and Sony. It's hard to accuse or defend any of them because there could be a lot of reasons this happened. As someone stated before, this happened with Overwatch. It could be a bug with how the store deals with these different editions, something related to how the game's package was done all the way back to the original release last year, or it could be other stuff.

It is undeniable that it's a huge mess-up, regardless of the cause. Maybe this will result in making the Ultimate Edition given for free to owners of the game and its season pass. But then you have to figure out what you'll do with those who had that and bought the UE (refunds? something else?), and then you also have to deal with that on Xbox, even if nothing happened there, since I'm sure customers wouldn't like to hear they're paying for something that should be free for them. Suddenly, you're dealing with four companies, different payment options for different regions, contracts that might complicate the situation even more, and not to mention physical edition owners.

So yeah, even if we hear something, it might take a while.

(In the mean time, it's too bad the Ultimate Edition wasn't named the Director's Edition. Oh, well.)

Doctor Zod

Jul 20, 2020
Thing is, the Deluxe Edition is not and has never been available for purchase on Xbox. Hell, the season pass was also not available until this past June when the 3-month exclusivity on PS4 for The Foundation DLC ended.

This is probably the reason all this kerfuffle about "owning" the Ultimate Edition has only ocurred to people that bought the game on PS4.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
To further fuel the fire: I received a code for Control UE on PlayStation 4. I own the base game + season pass. I went to redeem the new code and it says I already own the game.
HjMcK3H.jpg

4ric9it.jpg

Sony says its the same game and shares the same license

Wow, what a mess.

I guess they forgot telling Sony that they have planned to make the Ultimate Edition a different SDK, so they just put them both as the same, the same way Steam does sometimes when you own all the DLC from a game and the complete edition gets released without any drastic changes to the game.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I really hope this ends with 505 going "fine whatever if your own all the content you're grandfathered in." Probably while pulling the DLC and original game from the store though...