• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is that this isn't the first time that 505, a publisher, has messed up the basics of publishing a game. They have literally accidentally published a game before, that's a thing that actually happened.

I would have more respect for them if they were better at lying to us...

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Enjoy. 🙂

This ResetEra thread is in the video!

He's quite right, they never technically lied. They just did everything they possibly could to mislead people. "We are unable to offer an upgrade path to all owners of Control" - fuck off, no one was even asking for that. Obviously people who own Control on disc can't be upgraded, and people who only own the base game digitally and not the DLCs shouldn't just get them for free. But they are absolutely able to give an upgrade path - just give discounts on the Ultimate Edition for each piece of Control that you own.

KepperC

Jul 17, 2020
Nobody wants to go on the record about this, but I have asked around. Take with salt. I'm sure in due course it will be confirmed.

There is no technical limitation to 505 giving existing base game owners a free or paid upgrade to the next generation system. It is entirely legal.

505 simply cannot market or upgrade the base game anymore, per their new arrangement with Remedy.

Remedy makes more from the sale of Ultimate Edition.

Last edited:

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020

K.

Salt-mine.jpg

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody wants to go on the record about this, but I have asked around. Take with salt. I'm sure in due course it will be confirmed.

There is no technical limitation to 505 giving existing base game owners a free or paid upgrade to the next generation system. It is entirely legal.

505 simply cannot market or upgrade the base game anymore, per their new arrangement with Remedy.

But it's literally the same SKU. Ultimate Edition literally is just the base game and DLC. That's how this happened. This explanation doesn't make any sense. If they have the rights to how they sell the Ultimate Edition, then they absolutely could give it away for free if they wanted.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think you could upgrade Street Fighter IV from disc to SSF IV.

There's no real difference between disc and digital, the disc is just a key. Everything runs from the HDD.

That was last generation where games still ran from disc. Now we have disc versions that are installed on the HDD, and digital versions that are downloaded and run with a digital license. What they would need to do now is create an alternate version of the Ultimate Edition that is only, say, $20 but needs a copy of the original Control disc in the drive to run.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Agreed it doesn't seem to be getting much mainstream gaming media traction
seems to have gotten pretty good attention overall.

www.resetera.com

505 Games accidentally does what they said was impossible: Upgrades Digital Deluxe owners of Control to Ultimate Edition, then revokes it. News

"A lack of Control around the whole situation." - Android Central "505 Games Contradicts Themselves With Control Ultimate Edition Blunder" - LordsofGaming "505 & Remedy Under Fire After A Mistake With Deploying Control Upgrades Digital Deluxe To Ultimate Edition" - HappyGamer "Control Deluxe...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yes you can. As long as they own the DLC, the disc itself acts as a check. Can't run the new edition without the disc in the slot.

I'm speaking under the assumption that you need the Ultimate Edition to upgrade (I don't really think that's the case but we can't prove that - better to accept their claims on that front and then show how that's still not a good excuse). As I said earlier, it would actually be possible if they made an alternate version of the Ultimate Edition.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Wait so is this saying that Remedy is also the one pushing this then?

Oct 27, 2017
They wont Remedy this as they are in Control.
I suppose that's true. My brain probably just experienced a Quantum Break. Anyway it's just a shame for customers everywhere. In the US, it's an American Nightmare and everywhere else is just as bad. And the developers get caught in the Crossfire of all this, regardless of how much input they had.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
But their behavior is causing Max Payne to the consumers.
I suppose that's true. My brain probably just experienced a Quantum Break. Anyway it's just a shame for customers everywhere. In the US, it's an American Nightmare and everywhere else is just as bad. And the developers get caught in the Crossfire of all this, regardless of how much input they had.

I hope that 505 won't leave us in Limbo?
I guess charging for this as DLC means they get their Payday, and the developers Don't Starve.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
sounds like a real Alan Wake's American Nightmare for 505 bungling it this bad. Quantum Break.

edit- boy this "not putting effort into the joke" goof worked so much better to me when i accidentally skipped over the post that successfully used these two

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

jschreier Have you heard anything similar?

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Haha damn, if this is true, that puts to bed the narrative of Remedy being the good guys being oppressed by their shit publisher.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well if that's true then Remedy have some explaining to do too. I've already given them ÂŁ40 for the game and they aren't getting any more. Taking their most loyal fans for a ride, smh

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
That was last generation where games still ran from disc. Now we have disc versions that are installed on the HDD, and digital versions that are downloaded and run with a digital license. What they would need to do now is create an alternate version of the Ultimate Edition that is only, say, $20 but needs a copy of the original Control disc in the drive to run.
Or just make the download of the ultimate edition free with a redemption code. Which is very possible.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
(I know stuff legitimately leaks here once in a while, but surely we're not all accepting a "my uncle works at Nintendo"-grade post as fact, right?)

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope Remedy wasn't involved in that decision, otherwise it will be hard to support their future titles. And for their sake, they better get a new publisher.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I hope people remember this the next time they decide to buy a 505 game. Even EA has gotten this right.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
seems to have gotten pretty good attention overall.

www.resetera.com

505 Games accidentally does what they said was impossible: Upgrades Digital Deluxe owners of Control to Ultimate Edition, then revokes it. News

"A lack of Control around the whole situation." - Android Central "505 Games Contradicts Themselves With Control Ultimate Edition Blunder" - LordsofGaming "505 & Remedy Under Fire After A Mistake With Deploying Control Upgrades Digital Deluxe To Ultimate Edition" - HappyGamer "Control Deluxe...
That reminded me to update the reporting. I added several more gaming outlets reporting on it, and I wasn't even remotely close to covering them all.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
lmao im very glad you dont have to deal with this debacle.

Yeah, this is a PR and a community nightmare to deal with (internally and externally) so 100% agree. Glad I'm not involved in this in any way.

How has this shit show been to watch for you lol?

Was your reaction "I can't believe they'd do this, this seems so off?" or "yeahhh knowing the people I am not surprised by this."?

A lot of folks left 505 Games after me so I really don't know what to think, honestly. The "original" team I worked with up until the launch of Control in 505 were fantastic and genuine people and we involved Remedy in a lot of our decision-making process. Back then 505 also had a very good name as a publisher between devs. Don't forget that companies are made up of people so what 505 Games was in 2017 might - or might not - be very different from what 505 Games is in 2020. Same with PlayStation and so many other companies.

I don't know if this PS4 to PS5 upgrade and the Ultimate edition nightmare is a 505 Games only decision, or if Remedy had a say in this. Also, the fact that previous owners won't be able to upgrade to an enhanced PS5 experience makes me think that this might be a contract rather than a hardware limitation like explained above by KepperC

It might sound like I'm defending 505 Games but I'm not. Personally I believe the communication around this upgrade from a company standpoint was handled really bad, to say the least, and they should have been way more transparent on this matter. But if there's one thing I've learned from working in this industry is that there are so many factors that come into play like contracts between devs, publishers and platform holders that result in things getting complicated and messy really quick. So a situation might be very different in the public eye compared to what it actually is. And communicating this to the community/public can also be a huge task in order to make sure things go as smooth as possible.

I worked on Control from August 2017 back when it was just a prototype up until the release and literally poured heart and soul into this game. It really saddens me to see what is happening with the game...

Again, all of the above are just my personal thoughts and I have no idea what's going on internally in 505 Games or in Remedy. For the record, I left 505 Games on August 29th 2019 and my title tag needs updating.