• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Really fun gameplay
There is no story
Horrible, embarrassing character in Quiet with the worst cut scene in quite some time
My god it's been five years
MGS4 still better

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I loved it. In gameplay terms it's in my top three of the entire gen. It's absolute perfection. I enjoyed listening to the tapes during missions too so I didn't miss the usual amount of cutscenrs in MGS games.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
When it came out i was blown away by it. When I beat it i was pissed as hell. It felt less than half finished. Was wildly fun to play though.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played it a lot lol. With that said it's a good game you can just tell there are some unfinished things in it. And its probably the weakest story in series.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was not a fan of what 4 tried to do, I was impressed with the change in tone and storytelling. The gameplay was heaven for me compared to 4, and I didn't mind that it was stripped down to the bone in that respect. I liked it for what it tried to do differently.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay remains a pinnacle. Story remains a low point.

The entire series about cloning a specific man cause his innate talent was so strong his genes could be used to start an actual army of clones worth the investment cut down to a fuckin ratatouille level of ridiculous "anyone can be a big boss!"

Definitely not bitter lol

Eh, there were different approaches to replicating that level of soldier well before MGSV. Have you forgotten Raiden in MGS2?

Also, I don't take that message at face value. That ending was
BB telling his loyal dog Venom what he needs to hear before he goes out and dies in his place.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Very fun to play.

Interesting marketing campaign — great trailers and silly PR stunts.

Absolutely disappointing story as a long-time fan of the series. Literally incomplete.

Overall, I like it, but I really, really wish I loved it.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, there were different approaches to replicating that level of soldier well before MGSV. Have you forgotten Raiden in MGS2?

Also, I don't take that message at face value. That ending was
BB telling his loyal dog Venom what he needs to hear before he goes out and dies in his place.

I mean ...
taking a child soldier and pushing them through an intense VR program designed to break his ego down and then build it back up in a "simulation" as an experiment to see if they can recreate someone like BB or Solid is a little different than giving your best Medic plastic surgery and a haircut and calling it a day.

but if you were able to take away a good story out of that mess, power to you.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV is kind of like if Super Mario 64 sucked ass outside of moving Mario around.

Lol this is pretty much my take on it. The trailers made it out to be a crazy nutty and unpredictable game that only Kojima can make. What I felt like I got was a game with a tad more personality than your average Tom Clancy game that's filled with the same boring objectives.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I mean ...
taking a child soldier and pushing them through an intense VR program designed to break his ego down and then build it back up in a "simulation" as an experiment to see if they can recreate someone like BB or Solid is a little different than giving your best Medic plastic surgery and a haircut and calling it a day.

but if you were able to take away a good story out of that mess, power to you.

They didn't just surgery and haircut. They put him in a coma and brainwashed him for years into thinking he was the real BB.

I'm not saying it was a good story, but it's not going against the grain as far as plots and themes in the series. They've always been trying to replicate the legendary soldiers through various means.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Best gameplay in the series. I really love it overall, but I love all things Metal Gear. I can't help myself but blindly enjoy the crazy ass nonsensical plot in all of these games.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
One of the best TPS ever made, the only other contender is Vanquish.
Fuck Konami

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My biggest problem with MGSV is ditching Hayter for Keifer. For better or worse, Hayter was Snake in the NA MGS series. I don't think Sutherland gave a bad performance per se, that's completely beside the point. Arbitrarily swapping out the lead actor at the end of a franchise is just an absurd thing to do, period. If anything left a bad taste in my mouth, it was that.

That minor niggle being my "biggest problem" with the game says a lot.

Kojima warned very very early on that MGSV would be light on story and almost completely focused on gameplay. That was always his intention, and I can't fault him for that. What story was there was suitably MGS... again, for better or worse. The gameplay was fucking phenomenal, I completed a ridiculous number of beginning-to-end playthroughs of this gargantuan game. I did it because it was good enough to sustain that many playthroughs. Fuck the haters.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Probably my favorite overall gameplay experience of the generation. The world felt very organic to me, and there was definitely a puzzle-solving aspect that I enjoyed immensely.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Looking back, probably the most forgettable MGS experience.

Most disappoint is the MGO mode. Godawful compared to MGS4's offerings.

Nov 8, 2017
The only MGS game I haven't completed.

And never will.

Played it about 8 hours? Have zero intention to go back.

Sorta killed my endearment for the franchise, to be honest. Sad to admit.

I played MGS games for the cutscenes/wacky story/etc. so it really wasn't a game aimed at me.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Best Metal Gear game ever.

The fact that the story isn't more of a focus is fine. I'll take gameplay over long-ass cut scenes anytime. I've played all mainline MGS games and this is the only one that I feel like I can go back to anytime

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best playing MGS game. When the mechanics, encounter and world design come together it is an incredible experience.

I loved it despite the unfinished story. I've been itching to replay it recently as I powered through it the first time to avoid spoilers

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
I just don't know how they thought the Skulls were going to be fun to fight against. The actual boss fights were all a big letdown too -- it's like Kojima peaked on boss battle designs with MGS3 and its been a steady decline ever since. The sad thing is that all the elements are there but they just don't come together for memorable boss fights - even the sniper Quiet battle was a pale imitation of previous epic sniper battles.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
A game with great gameplay and an incomplete story. I wish it could have been finished but what can we do?

Oct 31, 2017
Great gameplay but it was and still is my biggest disappointment this gen.

I'll replay it on PC in the future though so we'll see if I change my mind.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see myself ever replaying the game which is really sad because I love the gameplay. Every now and then I think about replaying it but then I immediately think about the open ended story that leads nowhere. I think a game can lead nowhere, hell Last of Us 2 is more or less a meaningless struggle with trauma and I love it for that, but MGS V feels empty.

Also the game is way too long with not enough interesting things happening.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to hold it in very high esteem. It's a tremendous game in all facets except for its story, and in particular the way it ends. It would probably be my Game of the Generation had that aspect of the game not been a major disappointment, but I had an otherwise amazing time sinking 200+ hours into it and getting the platinum trophy. I have it placed at #7 in my Game of the Decade vote.

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
The game was amazing! (Just wish Kojima was able to actually finish it, but still amazing regardless.)

Karsha

May 1, 2020
The gameplay was good but there's no reason to finish the game, it just not interesting to make you come back. It fails in the MGS series strong points, and fails hard. It's a shame that most likely it will be the last MGS by Kojima, the series didn't deserve this ending ...

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am in a minority because I really liked the story and find it to be the best after MGS2. I loved both of the explanations - the nature of the virus (or bacteria, I don't remember) and the ending reveal. I agree that it was unnecessarily diluted due to the open-world design but I liked the gameplay, so I cannot really say what else should Kojima do to make it more succint.
One thing I would have definitely eliminated is the forced side missions and the whole mobile-like mechanics of base building.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think, from a purely gameplay perspective, there's very little that will ever top Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain. I think other games come close, but what they did with MGSV was something else.

The story on the other hand is, at best, disappointing. It literally goes nowhere and does nothing except answer a question from the MSX games that absolutely no one had asked or cared about.

I think, in many ways, it was a big answer to the cutscene critics but, in another way, it sort of lost a lot of what made the series fun, the ridiculous cutscnes and nonsense story. EDIT - It did have its moments though, the entire part leading up to and including "scatter your sorrow" scene.

Nov 4, 2017
Beat it earlier this week for the first time.
Yeah, good thing Konami got rid of Kojima.
His story telling is absolutely horrible. The plot could have fit in a ten line text.

And I'm not a fan of the missions structure, etc.
Gameplay was good though, but with a lot of weird issues (one soldier spotting you means the entire outpost knows where you are instantly... same goes with tanks in the latter side ops: one guy spots you, insta-kill by tank shelling).

It was ok-ish.

Ground Zeroes, which I beat a month ago, was much, much better.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Gameplay was fun enough, but in retrospect I think the world was kinda ugly and bland, and I've never liked Kojima's arglebargle storytelling.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to max out my bases after a year. Might be the best game I played this gen. Gameplay wise, not many better. Maybe you can do more shit in other open world games, but more fun for me....nah.

Edit:I forget this was a 360/Ps3 game. Still feel this way though.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I remember getting the special edition with the hand. I played through the prequel mini MGS5-whatever. And... I never played it.
I kept waiting, thinking there'd be a big GOTY edition, or patch, or some REVISNGENGETNCE version.

As the negative feedback about it being unfinished kept rolling in, I got worried.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm thinking of re-visiting the game on Steam.

Heard so many good things about the mod scene in terms of added QoL features and gameplay tweaks; is this an easily mod-able title, and are there any particular mods that come especially recommended?