• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Makkah

Feb 9, 2018
Ground Zeroes is a great foundation, Phantom Alain is terrible.

The stealth, movement and combat are great, but the open world, and story are utter garbage. I expected an expanded GZ and was thoroughly disappointed.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Awesome game that is a joy to play, but it is depressing and sad at the same time. I guess it's all the news and stuff about how Konami ousted Kojima, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I would love to replay it, but I can't detach myself from the real life stuff surrounding that game.

The story was pretty bad too, and it's left forever unfinished. Oh well.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Ambivalent, which I feel is the consensus. Gameplay is very good there's many many different ways to approach missions. However, the story is a mess so it doesn't feel like an MGS game.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Best trailers of all time. Also, unfinished story. Could be the GOAT, really. The gameplay mechanics are just perfect.

It should had been more lineal in terms of story telling. Not just telling the story from cassettes and random cutscenes.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most fun experiences ever. Sometimes I wish Kojipro would just drop stories and focus only on the gameplay.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I was beyond hyped for it, even bought the limited edition PS4...while it was a blast to play, the story was average...The intro was epic though!

Jan 11, 2018
The best stealth action mechanics in any video game ever. Everything else was terrible though, and not at all what I wanted out of a Metal Gear game.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Most disappointing game ever

It wasn't a bad game, far from it.

But it really could have been the GOAT, so yeah, it still hurts.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Absolutely loved it when it came out and even unlocked every achievement. Time has changed my opinion a little. It's probably the most forgettable game storywise and it lacks the iconic moments the series is known for. A serious lack of boss battles and lack of story has soured me over the years. I still think it's a great game and the gameplay is fantastic. Looking back at the reviews is interesting. I wonder if any of those reviewers have since changed their minda about it. It's metacritic score is really high.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
A brilliant game in nearly every respect, with its only major blemish being the handling of Quiet. The gameplay is polished to a fine sheen, the level design is intricate and open, and the story manages to both give Snake back to the player and also show Big Boss violate his most sacred principle as the last step to him becoming the big bad of the early games of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the best gameplay of all time.
Terrible, unfinished story that didn't answer any of the questions it promised and ended the series on a low note.
Mediocre level design.
Empty open world.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Wow 5 years
The years just go by super fast
I saw my brother playing a lot of it and it looked pretty good but he gave up towards the end or what he thought was the end

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
In MGS when you're told you like killing its 100% ludonarratively consonant with Solid Snake and reflects the player's actions. In MGS2 when you're mocked for your lack of agency it's once again 100% consonant with Raiden and the player's relationship to the character and the game. Your argument suggests that MGSV is trying to say that all those actions mentioned previous are indicative of Venom, his bravado, and his villainy, yet the game never acknowledges them even one time.

I feel like this is an unfair comparison following your previous paragraph, as you're looking at the first two games much more broadly than you are V. I could argue that it's hard to imagine any number of the things you can do being the actions of the characters in those two games if we were to also look at them through a magnifying glass after all.

What I presume the person you're responding to is talking about in regards to V and certainly where its narrative and the player's actions line up in a similar way to your point about the first two games is that, to paraphrase the title of a great article on the game, you become entrenched within its war economy. You grow so desensitised to your expanding power to the point where you don't think twice about developing a nuke to protect yourself, you don't see yourself as a parasite stealing from these other countries and you don't think about what it means every time you "recruit" these people to your cause, which by the end of the game is simply perpetuating warfare around the globe.

Where this lines up with Venom Snake as a character is something you seem close to understanding about him, which is that he's numb to all this himself. Whilst I agree that he's stoic and somber, I have to disagree that he's merciful, which implies (as many people seem to argue is the case with him) that he's heroic, which isn't true. The best demonstration of this is when you bring the child soldiers back to base. It could be called a mercy that he didn't kill them like the job requires him to do but his plan for them, until Miller steps in with his own, is to add them to Outer Heaven like everyone else. The idea that they - Diamond Dogs, that is - would be able to help them move past their trauma turns out to be nothing more than one of several of the game's fantasies associated with them too.

Incidentally, on that last point, if you're looking for where the game acknowledges these things, Huey and Paz are the ones to do so. Again, I don't think you were being fair to V here, because there is no direct analogue like there is with a character such as Liquid in MGS1 to tell you to your face that what you're doing is wrong. The whole point is that you're not necessarily supposed to see it that way. Instead you have these two characters and, of course, the irony is that one of them is a murderer who may or may not be guilty of other crimes but who in any case everyone connected to him in the game deeply dislikes, including Snake; and the other is a figment of Snake's own imagination, his pain that he doesn't let show and presumably what he knows to be true.

I don't think any of this takes "heavy lifting" on the player's part. These are things talked about within the game, sometimes at great length, and I think the structure of the gameplay, which Death Stranding went on to take in another direction entirely, reflects this from beginning to end.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much the same as it was when it came out. Repetitive, poor writing and characters and unfinished story. But the base gameplay systems are probably the best they've ever been.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
The 3 through 10 hour mark was really good though let down by a terrible story and pointless open wasteland/cutscenes.

The game then starts to fall apart once the repetition and menu management sets in. Worst 8/10 game ever.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The best Metal Gear game, and one of the best games of all time.
But you knew that already

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Aside from the silly story, it's a great action/stealth game. One of the best ever, really.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game was blowing my mind until I got into that Jeep. It was an embarrassment from that point forward.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
5 years later, still the action 3rd person shooter with the best controls, step your game up industry.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It's a phenomenal game in every respect, aside from a few narrative fumbles (the jeep ride) and everything involving Quiet which is awful at best

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Funny enough this has been stuck in my backlog since it came out as the negative word of mouth kept dampening my enthusiasm, despite having enjoyed ground zeros. Thanks to persuasion by era to give it a college try, my feelings towards it have warmed considerably. Somehow this game is both the most under and overrated game by Kojima.
I should have ignored the reviews on this and just dived in blind. It is not only a great game, it's a fine mgs game too. I do wish David Hayter had remained the voice actor though.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bunch of unfinished crap with a lot of filler and some really stupid retcons to the lore, not a fan

JumiElazul

Apr 4, 2020
I feel like it has the best gameplay in the entire series by a huge margin, but is brought down by it's (unfinished) story.

It's a shame too. I do think if some more development time was able to be put into the last 1/3 of the game, namely Chapter Two, then the game could have been a real masterpiece. It's still quite good for what it is, but it could have reached something truly special had the ending portion of the game not been so rushed.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One of the best openings to a game ever.

Systemically exceptionally fine-tuned.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It has good gameplay, snake is fun to control and you can feel the character's weight.

Everything else is either bad, or unfinished, or both.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
says a lot that the game was literally unfinished yet it's one of the greatest i've ever played

both tragedy and triumph MGS went out like it did

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely fucking hate that game. It just never clicked with me no matter how much I wanted it to. Kind of like Red Dead Redemption 2, but I still kind of enjoy that game in small doses.