• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Remove massive app contract if old.

@RussInCheshire
#TheWeekInTory is a misnomer: this just covers the last 5 days
1. Matt Hancock told Parliament lockdown started on 16th March, the day SAGE told them to, so all those unnecessary deaths didn't happen
2. But lockdown started on 24th March, and all those unnecessary deaths did
3. The govt announced a "New Deal" for infrastructure, with £600bn of new money
4. Turns out, only 0.8% of that is new money
5. The £34bn "new money" for the NHS was actually announced in 2018
6. The govt then announced £3bn of additional funding for a possible second wave
7. That's less than half the £8bn NHS England said it needed just to stand still, which hasn't happened
8. Matt Hancock said wearing a mask is mandatory
9. Downing St said wearing a mask ISN'T mandatory
10. So Gavin Williamson cleared it all up by saying they're both right 👍🏼
11. England's Chief Nurse confirmed she was dropped from briefings cos she refused to back Dominic Cummings
12. A poll found public trust in UK gov ability to manage the pandemic is lowest worldwide, and I nearly fainted
13. The govt cut the budget to end FGM by 84%
14. A Tory MP texted his intern to ask for "no strings" fun "pweeease".
15. She replied that she was having a "bad mental health day"
16. He said maybe if she thought of "fun times" with him, she'd feel better. Nice.
17. Brexit: and now we're back in control, it was confirmed the govt cancelled the Huawei 5G project because Donald Trump told them to
18. The Institute for Govt found 61% of businesses have made no preparations at all and that "Britain is fatally ill-prepared" for Brexit
19. The business secretary said "Seamless trade is vital for our economy, boosting business, supporting jobs, and ensuring consumers get the best deal"
20. He was talking about England and Scotland. He still thinks abandoning seamless trade with the EU is a great idea
21. The govt used its majority to vote against protecting the NHS from being sold
22. The govt used its majority to vote against protection of agriculture and food standards
23. The govt used its majority to vote against parliament having oversight of any trade deals
24. And now corruption news, and we'll start small: Robert Jenrick, who you might remember from previous episodes, was in charge of £25m regeneration scheme
25. 60 of the 61 constituencies helped were Tory seats with small majorities, or Tory targets at the general election
26. Only 2 towns had Tory majorities over 10,000. One was Jenrick's own seat
27. It was reported the Irish tracing app cost £773,000 and works
28. The contract for managing our "world beating" app was given to the wife of a Tory MP, cost £13m in 4 months, it didn't work
29. Even if you paid £50,000 to each programmer for 4 months work, £13m buys 260 programmers
30. The successful app used by Germany – which is open source – lists 17 programmers
31. Did we hire 260 programmers? If so, why? If not, where is the rest of the money?
32. Also, the govt admitted its "world beating app" broke the law
33. A leaked govt report found our "world beating" trace system is failing
34. Serco traced 59,000 contacts in 6 weeks, which is less than 1 contact per tracer per fortnight. They got £10m for that
35. But the govt claimed it was a success because it managed to find an outbreak in its own call centre
36. Russia report news: The govt attempted to suborn parliament by fixing the appointment of Chris Grayling to chair the Intelligence Sub-Committee (ISC)
37. It failed, so suspended the MP who did get the job
38. The ISC said the reasons given by the govt for delaying the report were "simply not true"
39. As the ISC released the report, the govt announced a pay rise for 900,000 workers. Were you distracted? Me neither.
40. The report confirmed Russian interference in the Scottish Independence referendum
41. The report "reveals that no one in government knew if Russia interfered in or sought to influence the [Brexit] referendum, because they did not want to know"
42. The ISC demanded an inquiry into Russian interference in Brexit
43. The govt immediately said no
44. I'm sure this is a coincidence, but this week it was reported the largest political donor in British history is a Russian Socialite who has paid £1.7m to the Tory party
45. She paid £160,000 for game of tennis with Boris Johnson
46. She paid £30,000 for dinner with Gavin Williamson. I know, it's baffling
47. The company she runs has assets of £23,000 and liabilities of £8.4m, so it's a mystery where all that donated money is coming from.
48. And finally: it was reported that the UK doesn't even have enough palettes to transport goods after we leave the EU, cos we've been relying on theirs until now, and have neither the wood nor the treatment facilities required to build enough of our own

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is the catalogue of incompetence doesn't do anything for their perception. They're still the born to rule champions of England, they'll be in power for over 4 years more, and there won't be any real accountability.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is the catalogue of incompetence doesn't do anything for their perception. They're still the born to rule champions of England, they'll be in power for over 4 years more, and there won't be any real accountability.

The Tories get away with murder (literally and figureitavely) every single time. The media just refuse to hold them accountable for anything.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'll put bets on being able to count on one hand the amount of those that were reported on by mainstream media like the BBC.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The Tories get away with murder (literally and figureitavely) every single time. The media just refuse to hold them accountable for anything.

I see it being reported, I just see a big chunk of the electorate who doesn't care for long enough for anger to mount.

Hence why you get voters who can actually begin to critique a Tory action, but then still counter it by hypothesising about how bad it'd be under Labour....

Good old Labour, they're to blame for everything (apparently).

Edit: OH, or you get them turning on the media for daring to report "bad news".

Part of me thinks it's because the Tories still have the 'economy issue' as a political shield, which they've always been strong on (perception wise). If a big chunk of their base isn't really feeling hard done by economically, then it's probably quite easy for their misdeeds to be handwaved away.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I did not hear of a third of this. Sad thing is, if you showed voters this they probably think it's a winning idea.

That's the state our country's in, you can say "I'll beat up your child" and the father will vote for you.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Cutting the budget for combatting FGM by over 80%? Bet it had a pathetic budget to begin with.

OP
OP
TechnicPuppet

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Every one of these is a major problem for weeks for any government prior to Brexit. Months for Labour.

They changed the unwritten rules and are happy just to ride out anything and everything.

Oct 31, 2017
The vast majority of the public will be unware of the majority of these things - the scum papers certainly are not going to tell them, and as for the Beeb....

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The app stuff i always the wildest to me. It's such a big scam, they clearly ignored their devs on it - no competent mobile dev would have suggested trying to do what they tried to do, because 5 minutes of research tells you it wont work and if you do find a way to make it work Apple wont let it on the store and will patch the bug you used quickly - paid an insane amount of it which presumably just went into Tory family/donor/friends pockets and then just delayed its release past the point where it'll be relevant. What a fuck up. Well, I guess not really, given it did its intended job of funnelling taxpayer money to their friends.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
EVhMaKyWkAEzTK0.jpg

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
That list is something else. I feel for the sane part of UK's populace. A friend of mine that currently works here in Germany just applied for his Irish citizenship. Feels like a sinking ship to him.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't really know when to expect this country to stop going full tilt toward becoming a complete shit-hole.

That it needs to be compared to places like Poland on certain issues to make it look good says everything with where we're at.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Glad we have an opposition party fighting back though, by... wanting to tighten regulations to criminalise minor drug use.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Oh god.... That's most depressing thing I've read in a while.... We got 4 more years of this shit...

My Tory MP finally after 6 attempts got elected and is just a Boris mouthpiece .... Every thing the govt does is great... He votes in accordance with govt and he likes to have a dig at the other parties... In short we have traded our previous MP who was very good (and not Tory of course) for a absolute dickhead...

Fucking great

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UK is clapped out. It needs to end and split into its four constituent parts.

If England wants this Tory shitshow, they can have it. I don't see why the devolved nations should have put up with this incompetence too.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even engage with politics these days because it makes me so angry.

The Tory party are pure evil, but the British electorate enabled them; and continue to enable them at every given opportunity. It's like telling a naughty child to stop punching other children but giving them an ice cream every time they do it.

I have lost faith completely and utterly.2024 will be exactly the same.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
My mum works in a callcentre dealing with DWP stuff. Around the time the lockdown started and they had to begin working from home, their duties shifted to fielding calls related to users of the track and trace app. So, they set up their computer in her home and instructed everyone to await the calls rolling in.
A couple of weeks ago, everyone was moved back on to dealing with Universal Credit without ever taking a single track and trace related call. Whatever system was in place didn't work and nobody seemed to give a shit about making it work, and I doubt very much it was ever supposed to.

The entire thing was a scam.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to condense the Opposition in to one MP during a Parliamentary adjournment debate.
To be fair, people hailed the rise of Keir Starmer as the country finally having an opposition, and they've been utterly shit across a wide range of issues. They've triangulated on nearly everything to try and reconcile middle class liberals with racist gammon, throwing our most vulnerable people under the bus in the process.

They seem to agree more with the government than actually oppose, saying they will merely tweak Tory policy to be less sharp edged than actually fix our broken-ass country in any meaningful way.

I supported Corbyn despite his flaws, but I didn't think Labour would go backwards after he stepped down. The current opposition is a joke.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, people hailed the rise of Keir Starmer as the country finally having an opposition, and they've been utterly shit across a wide range of issues. They've triangulated on nearly everything to try and reconcile middle class liberals with racist gammon, throwing our most vulnerable people under the bus in the process.

They seem to agree more with the government than actually oppose, saying they will merely tweak Tory policy to be less sharp edged than actually fix our broken-ass country in any meaningful way.

I supported Corbyn despite his flaws, but I didn't think Labour would go backwards after he stepped down. The current opposition is a joke.
I'm not saying I support all of Starmer's policies, but it's quite clear that nobody with Corbyn's political outlook was ever getting anywhere near Downing Street. Whether you attribute that to his policies themselves or the absolutely acidic media campaign against him, I don't know, but he wasn't ever going to be elected in a million years.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost impressive the lengths that conservatives will go to dismantle the very fabric of society for self-enrichment. It would make more sense if everyone had a private island they could fuck off to after all was said and done.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a huge list of tory incompetence and Failure
Let's talk about Labour instead.

I've posted about this before, but the political outlook on Era means there's not much to discuss about us all agreeing the Tories are shit. So inevitably the ripe area of discussion is the direction of Labour, which I find a bit tiring but it wouldn't be right to shut down discussion.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a huge list of tory incompetence and Failure
Let's talk about Labour instead.

Pretty much everyone on era agrees that Tories are scum.

The Labour Party are our primary means of addressing that and fighting back. As a party member, I'd like them to be laying into the government a lot more.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've posted about this before, but the political outlook on Era means there's not much to discuss about us all agreeing the Tories are shit. So inevitably the ripe area of discussion is the direction of Labour, which I find a bit tiring but it wouldn't be right to shut down discussion.

I'm not really thinking of Era, it's the huge mountain that Labour has to climb to win, the media, establishment and the money is against us, the right is in almost lockstep and possibly in charge for another decade. Labour just can't unite and Corbyn came so close to getting rid of May.

Gawge, i'm with you but i'm only interested in the left of the party focusing on winning via influence, so things like the NEC etc, i just see a continuous torrent of Starmer is a tory why bother stuff online, so i was riffing on why the government gets away with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TechnicPuppet

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really thinking of Era, it's the huge mountain that Labour has to climb to win, the media, establishment and the money is against us, the right is in almost lockstep and possibly in charge for another decade. Labour just can't unite and Corbyn came so close to getting rid of May.

Gawge, i'm with you but i'm only interested in the left of the party focusing on winning via influence, so things like the NEC etc, i just see a continuous torrent of Starmer is a tory why bother stuff online, so i was riffing on why the government gets away with it.

Keir has fucked up internally at every turn if uniting the party was his aim. He seems hell-bent on alienating the left.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I have lost faith completely and utterly.2024 will be exactly the same.
The part I'll never understand is why average people vote Conservative.

I've never voted Tory in my life, but I grew up in a very blue area with a lot of entrenched wealth, so I spent a lot of time around people who did - and still do. I don't agree with them, but I understand why they continue to vote Conservative: it serves their wealth management and rural protection interests, and they are entirely insulated from the negative effects of the policies that don't directly serve them. Voting that way requires wilful ignorance of other people's suffering, making it heartless by definition, but I can at least figure out why it happens.

Non-wealthy people, though... I don't get it. Not only will the people poorer than them be worse off, but they will be as well. These are people who rely on the NHS, who want to buy the "average" house, which is becoming less affordable to them all the time, who want to holiday in Europe, who take the train or the bus, and so on. Their votes run directly counter to the things they're supposed to want.

The same people who vote Conservative in 2024 will be stood at the side of the road in 2025, moaning that the buses are worse than ever. Or packed onto a crowded train tutting at how there used to be another carriage on the 7:30. Or sat on a hospital bench waiting an extra hour to be triaged for an illness that was probably preventable.

The services they need are going to be crumbling around them, but they'll still go and put that X in the box next to the MP who actively voted to undermine their lifelines.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The part I'll never understand is why average people vote Conservative.

I've never voted Tory in my life, but I grew up in a very blue area with a lot of entrenched wealth, so I spent a lot of time around people who did - and still do. I don't agree with them, but I understand why they continue to vote Conservative: it serves their wealth management and rural protection interests, and they are entirely insulated from the negative effects of the policies that don't directly serve them. Voting that way requires wilful ignorance of other people's suffering, making it heartless by definition, but I can at least figure out why it happens.

Non-wealthy people, though... I don't get it. Not only will the people poorer than them be worse off, but they will be as well. These are people who rely on the NHS, who want to buy the "average" house, which is becoming less affordable to them all the time, who want to holiday in Europe, who take the train or the bus, and so on. Their votes run directly counter to the things they're supposed to want.

The same people who vote Conservative in 2024 will be stood at the side of the road in 2025, moaning that the buses are worse than ever. Or packed onto a crowded train tutting at how there used to be another carriage on the 7:30. Or sat on a hospital bench waiting an extra hour to be triaged for an illness that was probably preventable.

The services they need are going to be crumbling around them, but they'll still go and put that X in the box next to the MP who actively voted to undermine their lifelines.
Turkeys voting for Christmas etc etc

Scapegoating on everything but the Tory politicians themselves has worked so effectively for them, whether that's immigrants/Corbyn/whatever else, it'll continue to work too.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Keir has fucked up internally at every turn if uniting the party was his aim. He seems hell-bent on alienating the left.

Granted, this is just my perception from browsing Twitter, but it seems like some are determined on being alienated.

Not saying that critique isn't possible, but sometimes it seems to exist just for the sake of it.

Again, it's completely anecdotal but when I see stuff like "Starmer is right-wing" or is a "closet Tory" or demands for him to resign, I can't help but question the actual motives. Is it a push for unity in the party? Or is it a hangover from the election and pushback because Corbyn is no longer leader?

A lot of the critique seems to be based around a perception, rather than say, policy shifts.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
God I want Scottish independence so much, but between Russia and this fuckawful Tory government, it won't happen.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Granted, this is just my perception from browsing Twitter, but it seems like some are determined on being alienated.

Not saying that critique isn't possible, but sometimes it seems to exist just for the sake of it.

Again, it's completely anecdotal but when I see stuff like "Starmer is right-wing" or is a "closet Tory" or demands for him to resign, I can't help but question the actual motives. Is it a push for unity in the party? Or is it a hangover from the election and pushback because Corbyn is no longer leader?
I mean for my money his performance in opposing Boris Johnson with well phrased and posed questions in the Commons is far better than Corbyn's strategy of dramatically shouting him down.

I know some die hard Red Labour friends of mine who are determined to hate Starmer and I just don't find it all that useful, not when we have literal pantomime villains in charge of the country.

OP
OP
TechnicPuppet

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

It's specifically around how he has handled discipline and the report, plus the report into the report. Also the people he surrounds himself with.

Most people were willing to give him a chance that was never given to Corbyn but he just seems to not be interested in accepting it. I'm increasingly disappointed and I voted for him.