• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I bought so many movies this month:
1. Double Indemnity
2. Raging Bull
3. Okja
4. Singin in the Rain
5. Lawrence of Arabia

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Lot of big catalog 4K announcements in the last couple of days (many of which are listed for France, but hopefully other regions soon):

Last Picture Show
Casque d'Or (check this one out if you haven't, it's excellent)
It Happened One Night
From Here to Etternity
To Kill a Mockingbird
Casablanca
Saturday Night Fever
Scream 2
Wayne's World
The Others
King Kong (1976)

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah Wayne's World. Wish they would double pack with 2 but I get it. They want that double dip.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Picked up all of the Star Trek movies on Blu-ray since there was an Amazon Prime Day deal for the 10-movie set for $23.99, and I found the new trilogy on eBay for $5.99 from a local seller.

SWnmeUC.jpg

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Well they paid $30 for 13 movies. That's just barely over the cost of just one 4K version of those movies being released in September.
Exactly.

Maybe if I feel like it in the future I'll pick up select movies in 4K during sales, but I'm good for now.

I was tempted to get the 4K set for the Kelvin timeline trilogy for like $21.99, but I found out that the version that's currently on Amazon included no bonus discs, so I decided to just pick up those copies from eBay instead for $5.99. Star Trek Beyond even came with a Target-exclusive bonus disc, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't have the money to buy the 4K versions of the Star Trek movies. Not even sure if I like them enough to pay that much for them even if I did. Definitely would consider it during a good sale eventually, though. Heh.

Last edited:

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Jurassic World Forbidden Kingdom

Entertaining film, INCREDIBLE transfer

This is Test #2 for the Series X UHD player, and it passed again with flying colors.

I am curious, is anyone else here using the XSX as their player?
Good luck with the Series X. I was using it as my 4k UHD player but it was very hit and miss if the film would work. It was very strange cause the errors always occured between 40 and 45 minutes. The picture would become pixelated and break up and I had to stop the film. Very frustrating and meant that I just stopped buying 4k UHDs. The Hobbit trilogy played perfectly but the LotR had the problem. All the fast and furious films have the issue. So last month I bought a Sony UBP - X700. The menus are a bit more clunky then I expected and the app selection is crap, plus having to check up on whether a film is HDR10 or Dolby vision and change the setting is annoying. The playing of the disks is perfect and I don't have to actually crank the sound up to cover up the Xbox! So I've been on a tear with buying up 4k UHDs. It's very difficult to pick up deals here in the UK, so I might have to dip into eBay to pick up a few films, even though I hate buying second hand. I'll post my list when I get a moment to go through them.

I don't know if your TV supports Dolby vision Viper but even though the apps on the Xbox support it, the UHD disks don't, so you miss out on that. Just something to be aware of.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Very nice. Would have picked up The Mummy set if I had some more money at the time. It was between that or Star Trek…

Oh, yeah, the Star Trek movies got me to owning over 400 movies on Blu-ray now. Nice.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with the Series X. I was using it as my 4k UHD player but it was very hit and miss if the film would work. It was very strange cause the errors always occured between 40 and 45 minutes. The picture would become pixelated and break up and I had to stop the film. Very frustrating and meant that I just stopped buying 4k UHDs. The Hobbit trilogy played perfectly but the LotR had the problem. All the fast and furious films have the issue. So last month I bought a Sony UBP - X700. The menus are a bit more clunky then I expected and the app selection is crap, plus having to check up on whether a film is HDR10 or Dolby vision and change the setting is annoying. The playing of the disks is perfect and I don't have to actually crank the sound up to cover up the Xbox! So I've been on a tear with buying up 4k UHDs. It's very difficult to pick up deals here in the UK, so I might have to dip into eBay to pick up a few films, even though I hate buying second hand. I'll post my list when I get a moment to go through them.

I don't know if your TV supports Dolby vision Viper but even though the apps on the Xbox support it, the UHD disks don't, so you miss out on that. Just something to be aware of.
ah man, it must be a gamble then with the XSX.

I actually did grab a X700 a while back, but between the constant disc freezing and having to manually turn Dolby Vis, I decided to return it and wait for a deal on a better player.

Dolby Vis is very, very nice though. The Matrix especially is eye melting, so grab that if you have not already.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
ah man, it must be a gamble then with the XSX.

I actually did grab a X700 a while back, but between the constant disc freezing and having to manually turn Dolby Vis, I decided to return it and wait for a deal on a better player.

Dolby Vis is very, very nice though. The Matrix especially is eye melting, so grab that if you have not already.
Thankfully I haven't had any freezes yet with the x700.

I would have preferred to get a bit of a better player but I wanted one quickly, so I could finish the Lord of the Rings marathon and I got a really good eBay deal on the x700.

For anyone who plays films on their PS5, is the UHD player in that as loud as the Xbox?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I haven't had any freezes yet with the x700.

I would have preferred to get a bit of a better player but I wanted one quickly, so I could finish the Lord of the Rings marathon and I got a really good eBay deal on the x700.

For anyone who plays films on their PS5, is the UHD player in that as loud as the Xbox?
Thing is there doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the x700 and a $500 player lol

If I can get something basic like the 700, except with auto Dolby Vis, I would get it

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is there doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the x700 and a $500 player lol

If I can get something basic like the 700, except with auto Dolby Vis, I would get it
Yeah I know. That's what I found. I paid £155 for my x700 and even that was pushing it. The next level players were in the £300 range.

I'm geeky enough that I want to know if a disk have Dolby Vision or not, before I watch it, so it's not too big of an issue to switch it over before the film. It was a bit of suprise to have to do that on a £230 RRP bit of tech.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Was only a matter of time with it being re-released in theaters. Actually surprised it's coming so quick with it still being shown in theaters. Pretty much guaranteed 4K (I hope).

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for Lost Highway, and hoping that new 4K master shines. I just wish we didn't have to wait until October!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
My Blu-Ray of Castlevania S4 is out for delivery. I have something new to rip to my plex library tonight!

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know why home releases have boring yellow or white subtitles instead of the stylized stuff in the theatre?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why home releases have boring yellow or white subtitles instead of the stylized stuff in the theatre?

Because in the theater, they can output whatever they want and it's baked into the video. With dynamic subtitles that can be turned on and off, they likely just don't have the font available and don't/can't distribute it on the disc so they're left to the player to determine how to display it. What's included on the disc is pretty much the text and the time index to display them.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I still remember seeing the film Night Watch in theaters and thinking how cool it was that blood in the swimming pool turned into subtitles.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Because in the theater, they can output whatever they want and it's baked into the video. With dynamic subtitles that can be turned on and off, they likely just don't have the font available and don't/can't distribute it on the disc so they're left to the player to determine how to display it. What's included on the disc is pretty much the text and the time index to display them.

Actually, DVD's use VOBSUBS (sub/idx format) and Blu Rays and UHDs use PGS subs. Both are image formats and can be any style you could want. Some discs even use a subtitle track for special features, like displaying big text boxes full of information or even behind-the-scenes photos.

If you extract the subtitles from a movie with the intention of altering them in any way you will have to OCR them first... or extract the individual images and edit them in your favourite image manipulation software.

There is no real excuse for not using fancy fonts and/or colours.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, DVD's use VOBSUBS (sub/idx format) and Blu Rays and UHDs use PGS subs. Both are image formats and can be any style you could want. Some discs even use a subtitle track for special features, like displaying big text boxes full of information or even behind-the-scenes photos.

If you extract the subtitles from a movie with the intention of altering them in any way you will have to OCR them first... or extract the individual images and edit them in your favourite image manipulation software.

There is no real excuse for not using fancy fonts and/or colours.

I stand corrected. I had mixed up seeing srt subs and assumed it was being done similarly. I also assumed that was how it was done because from what I heard, in Star Trek Discovery, they had nice fancy fonts for the Klingon subtitles that was baked into the video where as internationally they had dynamic subs instead but used just basic fonts even for the English translation so assumed it was a technical limitation.

Sep 12, 2018
We're All Going to the World's Fair is a very interesting movie. Have you seen it already? I didn't really like it at first but I swear, it never completely left my thoughts since I saw it a few months ago. I'm always thinking about it a bit. It's a very effective piece of art.
Got to see it in the cinema! Similarly it really grew on me and part of why I got this release is to hear the commentary which while still not being clearer on the film's ambiguities was a fun listen with the director and star at least.

DarkStar00

Mar 13, 2022
Do steelbook 4K movies get good discounts around Black Friday at places like Amazon and Best Buy like the standard editions do? I want to get into collecting steelbook 4K movies but don't want to pay $35+ for most of the ones I want.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Do steelbook 4K movies get good discounts around Black Friday at places like Amazon and Best Buy like the standard editions do? I want to get into collecting steelbook 4K movies but don't want to pay $35+ for most of the ones I want.
The answer is, it depends. Although I have seen it less and less as steelbooks are more rare now.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017

They can, but it's best to keep an eye on deal of the day sales. BB in particular can have steels on sale for ridiculously cheap out of the blue. Popular movies sell out fast though.

DarkStar00

Mar 13, 2022
Yeah it seems like the popular Best Buy steelbook's not only sell out fast, but also never get any restocks. Unless it's a limited edition, why do such a poor job making sure that plenty of copies are available?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How did I miss that Looper was released earlier this year? I'd been waiting for the 4K release since forever, and it seemed like it was never going to see the light of day. Finally some news about it last summer, but then I didn't see anything about it when it actually released. Anyway, grabbed that, Dune, Men In Black and the 3:10 to Yuma UHDs.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone pick up the physical Get Back set yet? I had assumed it was still not out yet after it got delayed. Would love to have that physically.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Picked up a couple of bargains yesterday, all 4K

Labyrinth 30th Anniversary (3 for £30)
I Am Legend (3 for £30)
Mulholland Drive (3 for £30)
Superman The Movie (£9.99 with any purchase)

So £40 for the lot. Not too bad.

I Am Legend and Superman reminded me of a massive pet peeve I have with these 4K releases - 4K is Theatrical only, but they include the extended/alternate versions on Blu Ray. Superman said on the case "Includes theatrical version on UHD and Blu Ray" but the Blu Ray was a "Special Edition" disc, with the extended cut on it (which happens to be my preferred cut). Not only that, but it was really bare bones and had only had an AC3 5.1 audio mix on it. Fortunately I have the Anthology boxset which includes theatrical and extended, both with DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks.

So annoying that they don't include the best versions possible seeing how you're paying a premium.