• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't tried out physical 4K movies yet on my PS5 or Xbox Series X until recently, thanks to a couple movies I snagged from a Best Buy steelbook sale (Sonic and Spider-Man FFH). I had played movies before on the Xbox One X with no problem, but this time I'm getting all sorts of errors.

When I'm playing the movie on the Xbox Series X, one of three things happen at random:

1. I get a "disc can't be played, make sure HDCP is turned on" message

2. I get sound but no picture

3. I get picture but sound going on/off.

Number 3 is also what happens when I'm trying to play the disc on the PS5. After some trial and error, I believe the culprit is my Home Theater receiver, as the movies will play fine while outputting the audio on my wireless headset.

That same receiver played movies fine previously, but that was with an optical audio port, which sadly the new consoles lack. I believe this is due to the ARC messing up, since the speaker icons on my receiver also go in and out in conjunction with the stuttering audio.

So I would like to know what my options are: can this be fixed with some settings, an adapter or HDMI cable replacement? Or am I going to need to invest in a more modern receiver that can handle ARC better? If that's the last and only option, what's the cheapest functional receiver I can get?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Try swapping the HDMI cable/cables and go from there, but yeah, the limitation could very well be your receiver, since it's highly unlikely it's HDMI 2.1 compliant.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
The receiver can't pass that through?

Doesn't sound like it. I'm having to do the same since my receiver doesn't pass through HDR signal. Not sure if that's the same though.

OP not sure what the issue is. I'd probably try out a different HDMI cable first before trying a more expensive fix.

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me your receiver should be able to process everything in this scenario. Could be cables? On my LG B7 I have a specific port that I have to use for ARC (#2), not sure if the CX is similar?

If you want to eliminate cables as a culprit I'd use the HDMI from your XSX to go from receiver to TV and then the PS5 cable from the receiver to the console (or vice versa, both cables should be fully compliant and fast enough).

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There's no reason why that receiver can't passthrough video and audio. You may have a bad HDMI port or cable.

I assume you've kept the receiver's firmware updated.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The receiver is on the latest firmware and it's connected to the right ARC port on my TV.

Not sure if changing the HDMI cable would help. Is there a high speed one that should do the job from Amazon?