• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can it do dolby vision ? If so, get that on disc. Dolby vision is dynamic and 12 bit. It's the best HDR format out there.

Another important thing is to look for discs that are mastered in 4k. This last part is important as a lot of movies are mastered in 2k and upscaled.

Here is a list of uhd released with dolby vision:

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision - Blu-ray Forum

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises' IMAX scenes on 4K Blu-Ray are absolutely mindblowing.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
None of the BBC's recent documentaries were filmed using a higher frame if I remember correctly. That may change for future documentaries, but with the pandemic situation and BBC Earth filming teams unable to get on location, the next batch of series are years away.
That's a shame. To me 4K definition loses a lot with such a low framerate. You lose so much with the motion blur and only really see the full detail when it's a still or really slow moving shot.

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises' IMAX scenes on 4K Blu-Ray are absolutely mindblowing.
I agree with this. The imax scenes look spectacular. Makes me wish that we got a native 4k master of the last two avengers movies (in the correct aspect ratio too.. and in dolby vision even though disney doesn't release any discs with it, cause this is all wishful thinking anyways).

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Dunkirk.
Pacific Rim.

How is 1917? I considered buying that as I'm finally getting a 4k blu ray player with the PS5
Looks phenomenal. It was shot on large format Alexa.

I like Vincent.
Though, his opinions may be controversial to some. He kind of rags on Blade Runner 2049 because although it is "HDR" it never actually goes beyond SDR nits. I don't think movies should be forced to use the full range (that would be silly...) but I do agree with him that if something isn't actually HDR then maybe they shouldn't advertise it as such. I don't know. haha
HDR is about more than just higher brightness, though.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
The ending of Alien is glorious in HDR. Flashing, flames, texture. It's all there.

I had to watch away, my eyes where hurting from the bright flashes and that was with a oled that can't do more than 750 nits or so. The flame thrower in the airducts is just reference material for contrast...

Oct 30, 2017
I like Vincent.
Though, his opinions may be controversial to some. He kind of rags on Blade Runner 2049 because although it is "HDR" it never actually goes beyond SDR nits. I don't think movies should be forced to use the full range (that would be silly...) but I do agree with him that if something isn't actually HDR then maybe they shouldn't advertise it as such. I don't know. haha

Well yeah.

If you proclaim HDR but it's literally only using a range of 0-200 nits or so, it's not actually making much use of high dynamic range and everything contrast wise has to be compressed within that small HDR window. Vincent isn't just blindly making an opinion and is using a master HDR grading monitor to get actual numbers in both HDR and wide color gamut data.

Blade Runner 2049 looks good, but it's not an HDR showcase at all, same for The Last Jedi that people are saying. With Blade Runner 2049, at least the digital intermediate is also higher than 2K, unlike most movies and a very clean and beautifully shot movie, it's a sharper movie in 4k than the regular blu-ray.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
HDR is about more than just higher brightness, though.
this. it came up recently in another thread with people just saying the same thing, from the same guy on youtube too. There's more to HDR than just being brighter. 4k Blurays have 2 more bits per color channel over regular blu-ray. Thats a shitload more colors. That allows for richer colors, better color gradients.

id bet money that the Blade Runner 2049 looks better than the blu-ray, from a color perspective. And maybe ill do that comparison.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
this. it came up recently in another thread with people just saying the same thing, from the same guy on youtube too. There's more to HDR than just being brighter. 4k Blurays have 2 more bits per color channel over regular blu-ray. Thats a shitload more colors. That allows for richer colors, better color gradients.

id bet money that the Blade Runner 2049 looks better than the blu-ray, from a color perspective. And maybe ill do that comparison.
Indeed, and honestly I think I prefer the wider color gamut benefits over the crazy peak brightness. Sometimes they go a bit overboard on the master and everything just looks a bit out of sorts with the contrast cranked. I mostly notice this on older movies that seem like they just get a standard HDR conversion applied across the board with no nuance, just "bright!".

HDR is there to basically expand the options available to the Director, DP, and Color Grader. There aren't a set of rules that say you need to hit x brightness, etc. It's all a choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
It might be a weird suggestion, but I got The Shallows for free way back when and it was one of the first 4K Bluray I watched. The colors were stunning on my X930E. The HDR really really popped. Other than that, Planet Earth 2 is pretty nice. (Don't have any newer suggestions though, my recent purchases are limited)

www.blu-ray.com

The Shallows 4K Blu-ray (Lenticular Slipcover)

The Shallows 4K Blu-ray Release Date September 27, 2016 (Lenticular Slipcover). Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Cheap Blu-ray movies and deals.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorites (in addition to many already posted like Avengers and Blade Runner 2049) is actually Logan. The HDR really helps bring out the natural lighting, gets rid of that "studio lighting" look that SDR films tend to get from the tonemapping, lends it a very "real" look all the way through.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Planet earth 2 and the revenant are amazing when it's comes to PQ. Also check out hidefdigest for uhd reviews.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lawrence4k_covers.jpg
Came to this thread to see if people's top picks, and saw this and remembered how angry I felt when learned about it too late. It's so stupid we haven't gotten an individual release yet. Also they didn't even offer it in Canada so I would have had to import it.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Shining has an incredible transfer.

The new Back to the Future release has an amazing Atmos mix and the movies have never looked better.

Also, fwiw PS5 has no support for Dolby Vision OR Dolby Atmos. Whereas the Xbox series X does.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
The Joker

I'm serious. It's phenomenal from both an audio and visual standpoint. Just an absolute juggernaut.

Pacific Rim, for the HDR showcase.

Mad Max Fury Road for a sound system workout

And parts of TDK (IMAX scenes) will melt your face.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's good to hear, I've been interested in buying bttf. Are 2&3 solid too DrEvil

Yep. Binged the whole series last weekend. All look and sound great. There were things I had never picked up on even in the blurays detail wise.

Silly example:
In BTTF3 after Marty demos the colt 45, in the rear surround channel you can hear the salesman tell someone it costs $12. At the end when he tells Seamus that it's "worth about 12 dollars" I had always thought it was an inconsequential detail. But it's actually audibly called out. I never once noticed that until I watched it last week.

Similarly, Clara's broach actually says "Clara" on it, and you can see it very clearly around her neck when Doc saves her from the runaway carriage. Never noticed that before either.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I might finally get a 4K player for LOTR but the price you pay for a 4K disc doesn't seem worth it for moat movieyout there.

DisneyPlus has the best bitrate. Netflix is working on compressing their 4K streams even more so maybe 4K discs will be more worth if you're going to streaming artifacts like what Netflix is doing.

Now audio quality to me has a big difference between DD+ on Netflix vs. DTS MA on a disc.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Most people agree, but damn it if streaming isn't still very much subpar (for enthusiast needs), ESPECIALLY in the audio department.
True. I think most of them are still using Dolby Digital, aren't they? Like, DVD quality shit? No thanks. If I got good picture, I'm gonna want booming sound to go with it.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Also, fwiw PS5 has no support for Dolby Vision OR Dolby Atmos. Whereas the Xbox series X does.

Are these things that are built into the hardware, or is this something that can be patched in at a later date if Sony decided to?

I just think it's a bit crazy that Sony makes a TV called "Ready for PS5" that has Dolby Vision, as well as makes receivers that can output in Atmos, and then their console doesn't offer either.

Also, this thread makes me very sad that we'll probably never Speed Racer in 4K, because I keep wondering how the insane use of colors in the original Blu Ray would look in HDR.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are these things that are built into the hardware, or is this something that can be patched in at a later date if Sony decided to?

I just think it's a bit crazy that Sony makes a TV called "Ready for PS5" that has Dolby Vision, as well as makes receivers that can output in Atmos, and then their console doesn't offer either.

Also, this thread makes me very sad that we'll probably never Speed Racer in 4K, because I keep wondering how the insane use of colors in the original Blu Ray would look in HDR.

My guess is its licensing fees that Sony didn't want to pay.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Suspiria is one of my favorite films. I'd seen it countless times over the years in SD & HD, but nothing could prepare me for the 4K blu ray with HDR. It was fully & truly seeing it for the first time, to the point it felt like a different film.

34766972_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Most people agree, but damn it if streaming isn't still very much subpar (for enthusiast needs), ESPECIALLY in the audio department.
True. I think most of them are still using Dolby Digital, aren't they? Like, DVD quality shit? No thanks. If I got good picture, I'm gonna want booming sound to go with it.
Yup. Most services use Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos, if supported. If Atmos is not supported by your system, it defaults to the DD+ track instead of lossless Dolby True HD on UHD Blu-rays. The picture quality when it comes to streaming is one thing, but audio has suffered big time in the age of streaming. Nothing beats a proper DTS-HD Master Audio track (or lossless Atmos).

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Look, I dropped it in the other thread because I couldn't be bothered getting into a long-winded technical debate where you'd continue to deliberately misunderstand what I was saying, but considering you're doing it here in a different thread, I'll pick it back up:

- HDR is just about being brighter - it's in the name: high dynamic range. The range of luminance. That's it. The function of HDR is to expand the ceiling of luminance so that media can be displayed at higher peak brightness. The UHD format as a collective, which includes HDR does indeed carry more improvements than just brighter highlights, yes, including, as you're alluding to, wide colour gamut and improved bit depth. I never wanted to get so technical in the previous thread, but considering how much nit-picking was going on, here we are.

- No one is saying Blade Runner 2049 doesn't look great on the format, nor is anyone saying that it doesn't improve upon the Blu-Ray release. What I was saying, and what some people are alluding to here, is that it's not necessarily the best showcase for HDR, if that's what you're interested in, especially if you're not exactly sure or sold on the merits of HDR. That's because BR2049 doesn't take advantage of the expanded luminance ceiling that HDR provides - and that's fine, as I've said in the past. I don't think the film needs it and I don't think it's a lesser looking film as a result, it just isn't communicating the benefits of HDR, which is why I find it so frustrating when it's used as a response to the question "Hey, what films should I watch that take advantage of HDR?"

It's like someone saying "I just bought a PS5. What game should I play to showcase 60fps?" and large swathes of responses are "Red Dead Redemption 2" even though the game only runs at 30fps. And then when people point that out, the response is "There's more to graphics than just framerate. RDR2 is a graphical powerhouse." Yes, I know that, but it's still not showcasing 60fps specifically if that's what someone is interested in (Yes, I'm aware the OP of this thread is not asking about HDR, but even then, if it's their first taste of the new format I'd suggest films that do take advantage of all aspects of the UHD format so they understand the clear benefits across the board).

- Further, BR2049 was shot at 3.4K. Again, it looks great. It was mastered in 4k, all that good stuff, absolutely. Resolution isn't the be-all-end-all, I know. But again, if we're talking about a showcase that demonstrates the benefits of the UHD format, there are better options than a film that doesn't take advantage of the increased luminance ceiling and was shot at a resolution lower than the format provides. To really make sure there's no ambiguity to what I'm saying here: BR2049 is an incredible looking film that looks great on the format and I don't need it to do anything else, but there are better candidates to communicate the benefits of UHD.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well saw this thread was active, so I'll post my newest 4K Get Here Too.

joS9AfG.jpg

I actually don't have a 4K TV Readily Available to post my impressions of the entire package right away, but I'm still excited nonetheless to watch it and see if I can notice the improvement from the Anchorbay Bluray release I had preceding this. I plan on watching it on my brother's 4K TV when I am able, but it's not like he has a top of the line TV himself in terms of HDR support.

Jul 18, 2018
I just got Black Hawk Down on 4k blu ray from Amazon for $10 and..........wow the Dolby Atmos track on that movie is fire. Definitely reference material to showcase your Atmos speakers.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
You'd need a dedicated 4K player to get the most out of a 4K disc. The PS5 can play them, just not as well.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear about the poor PS5 disc play. If I were to get a dedicated uhd player, should I plug it into my sound bar HDMI or the tv?

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the pass-through capabilities of your soundbar. If you're unsure, and your soundbar is connected to your TV via ARC/eARC, then just plug it into the TV directly to be safe.

Thanks - it's a Sony HTST5000 and yes, the bar is plugged in to the ARC hdmi slot on the telly. The PS5 wouldn't do HDR through the soundbar so I plugged that into the TV, so there is a free HMDI slot in the soundbar.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks - it's a Sony HTST5000 and yes, the bar is plugged in to the ARC hdmi slot on the telly. The PS5 wouldn't do HDR through the soundbar so I plugged that into the TV, so there is a free HMDI slot in the soundbar.
Odd that that soundbar wouldn't pass through HDR, as it supports 4K/HDR. But yeah, just best to plug directly into the TV if you aren't wanting for HDMI inputs.

How're you liking your HTST5000? I'm currently shopping for a soundbar for my dad who's in the process of upgrading his home theater, and that one has been on my shortlist.

Is this just about the sound? Or is there something wrong with PS5's 4k picture quality?

PS5 (and the XSX as well) don't support Dolby Vision playback from discs, so on UHD Blu-rays that support DV, you'd be limited to HDR10.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Far from the best film on the format, but The Mummy (1999) is probably the biggest jump in quality going from Blu-ray to 4k that I personally own. I have a bunch of other 4k films that are absolutely stunning like Blade Runner and 2001, but those Blu-ray already looked really good to stunning, and they still do. But The Mummy Is a crazy jump in quality!