• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
As someone currently in Stormblood, I'll say that FFXIV has had some awkward writing around refugees at times... but a lot of that was earlier on, and mostly is just awkward. The quotes being picked really aren't what I'd point to at all; even just in the context of that first set when it comes to the Crystal Braves, Ilberd is probably the better thing to talk about.

and in particular I feel like the idea that they present the Montarists as anywhere near being good people is pretty far out there

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
As someone currently in Stormblood, I'll say that FFXIV has had some awkward writing around refugees at times... but a lot of that was earlier on, and mostly is just awkward. The quotes being picked really aren't what I'd point to at all; even just in the context of that first set when it comes to the Crystal Braves, Ilberd is probably the better thing to talk about.

and in particular I feel like the idea that they present the Montarists as anywhere near being good people is pretty far out there

I don't think they've ever presented the Monetarists as "good." They're generally all portrayed neutrally or pragmatic neo-liberals. Even the more positively portrayed members like Godbert or Dewlala just want to make money and keep the system that's in place.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they've ever presented the Monetarists as "good." They're generally all portrayed neutrally or pragmatic neo-liberals. Even the more positively portrayed members like Godbert or Dewlala just want to make money and keep the system that's in place.

That's my point, yeah. At best they're nice but selfish, then some of them are pretty much outright villains whether they're helpful to the Scions or not.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I can't think of a single faction/nation/whatever in XIV that is represented as unanimously good or evil, besides maybe the Scions.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I haven't played the game the screenshots are from. But I'll say that trying to prove a point of larger narrative with single screenshot(s) of dialogue doesn't seem to work in other instances either. That's some Twitter shit, post a picture or a hot take and let people's imagination run wild.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
In the gaming world, Ghost of Tsushima really took the whole Japanese Industry by storm. I don't think I've seen/heard/read on negative impression from a Japanese developer about it. They're all just enamored with it.

In the entertainment world as a whole, yeah the biggest thing in Japan right now is Demon Slayer. It's literally everywhere and it's everyone's favorite thing. Yoshi P nailed it as to why it resonate with a lot of people.

Lastly, people here are kinda overreacting to his statement on Trump- Like I get the perspective from this forum where we get exposure to the crazy every day but what he said isn't really that unique for most people.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
He already did, I feel.
FFXIV-Shadowbringers-Themes-17.jpg

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why people are stanning for YoshiP.

Dude is known for having an unusually short temper. A few years ago, the FFXIV community team arranged a meet and greet in-game so that other players can talk to him (read: flood him with praise). But they erred by telling him to teleport to the wrong place. When the team live-streamed the meet and greet, they realized what they did and tried to fix their mistake. But during that time, YoshiP grew irrationally angry, telling the PR team to kill themselves instead of simply asking for help.

A few days later, the head of FFXIV's community PR at the time resigned. Take from that what you will.

Oct 31, 2017

Dude is known for having an unusually short temper. A few years ago, the FFXIV community team arranged a meet and greet in-game so that other players can talk to him (read: flood him with praise). But they erred by telling him to teleport to the wrong place. When the team live-streamed the meet and greet, they realized what they did and tried to fix their mistake. But during that time, YoshiP grew irrationally angry, telling the PR team to kill themselves instead of simply asking for help.

A few days later, the head of FFXIV's community PR at the time resigned. Take from that what you will.
I just looked up the situation you're referring to, and saw bits of a video.

From what I understand it was a pretty important livestream and that mistake made the game look dead, so he got angry.

And he raised his voice for literally 2 seconds

Though I did not see anyone who translated mention Yoship telling ppl to kill themselves

(please note that my only experience with FFXIV was briefly playing it up to shortly past the first dungeon so I'm not some Yoship Stan)

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

not to justify anything YoshiP said but this is a pretty big downplay of what actually happened. Taken from a Reddit comment (user deleted):

"For the context... This was a New Year countdown stream with three MMO producers (XIV, DQX, PSO2 coming together). Streams from the game with people gathering to celebrate was present. Although the stream was supposed be from Chocobo server and that's what they told people, it was actually streaming from Ifrit, so people didn't know. Eventually people gathered on Ifrit as well. Seems to be a community management team mistake. Furthermore the location was in the middle of Middle La Noscea instead of a populated lobby area..."

this was in front of many viewers and colleagues and was a very embarrassing moment. It wasn't just the wrong area it was the wrong server entirely.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris

It's not what happened at all.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
c1c

Not a Trump supporter, but i don't think hes exactly progressive. This line reads like Japan's strict immigration & homogeneity is a good thing.

It reads like different cultures and ways of life are to be celebrated because even though they divide us, they also make us who we are. Because that's literally what it says.

What's funniest about this post is there actually is a character in the game that makes an argument for complete and total homogeneity. And they're explicitly a villain. And everyone in the group they're talking to when they present this idea rebukes it entirely right then and there. LOL

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

as others have said, this is a pretty massive misrepresentation of that event. if you're gonna post hit piece nonsense like this, at least bring full receipts of the entire thing, including context.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Trump would make a 'good' JRPG evil villain king reference.

You don't even need to make up a plot excuse to get the people to believe every nonsense he is saying because we now know people are capable of believing any stupid bullshit.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
FF16 might not look like what we're used to for a mainline FF, but I think it's going to be amazing.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Is this what people do these days? Just make fake shit up about people with no proof? Not to mention implying that he was there to be praised. Yikes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV while it's not perfect, I'd still say is far more left then a lot of other Japanese games.

Not even just in terms of story stuff but stuff like this:

www.pinknews.co.uk

Final Fantasy XIV is coming to the Sydney Mardi Gras parade

Final Fantasy XIV will be the first video game to have a float at the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade.

and moving to have a more outfits that are unisex that traditionally games wouldn't have (like 2B's outfit being able to be worn my Male/Female characters, as well as the new school uniforms which either version can be worn by either sex.)

There's more than that, but those are just 2 examples that readily came to mind.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed at how bad those out of context gotcha screenshots are. Hahaha.

Anyways, yeah given the themes and storylines in FFXIV, I'm not surprised at Yoshi-P's reaction to trump.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Is this what people do these days? Just make fake shit up about people with no proof? Not to mention implying that he was there to be praised. Yikes.

They had a count down event for new year's in Japan with the 3 producers from FFXIV, PSO2 and Dragon quest 10, which are the 3 top online titles in Japan. However, the FFXIV community team screwed up and put Yoshi-p's character on the wrong server and none of the FFXIV players showed up for the event. Everyone in Japan is saying FFXIV is dead now and it's become quite a big fuss now. Yoshi-p was screaming at the JP community team and he used violent language (like "the community team should die") which is also being posted everywhere.

Yikes indeed.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I won't defend his temper or his language, but that has nothing to do with him not being a Trumper or the attempts to paint his politics using screenshots from FFXIV. People are right to question intent given this context.
Not even, if you only have one example to point to, it hardly counts as a consistent personality trait. People in that very thread point out it doesnt have the same intent in Jpn. Lol

How this thread managed to devolve into "Rando's try to run shitty hit pieces on YoshiP" I'll never understand. Just laughable.

Oct 25, 2017

For context, while he's clearly slightly miffed, he laughs it off and the "yelling" is entirely playful pretend anger with everybody laughing.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

For context, while he's clearly slightly miffed, he laughs it off and the "yelling" is entirely playful pretend anger with everybody laughing.

Lol. Now my Japanese is definitely bit rusty. But watching this it does seem quite a bit less dramatic than painted to be. I was expecting him going Christian Bale on them atleast. One thing is for sure, gamers can be the absolute worst.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell happened in this thread that a comment about Trump brought out the character assassination hitmen?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i remember hearing about that stream, they announced the wrong spot so it looked as if ff14 has very little players

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the video four times and I still can't figure out where he's supposed to be flipping out on his staff.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This might just be one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen on Era lol. I know its just two people inexplicably spreading false information but still.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I saw Yoshi-P at a grocery store in Tokyo yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.