• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Does anybody think that Sony or Microsoft is interested in Square Enix? Securing Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Thief, Deus Ex and Avengers for your brand is quite a feat.

I wish Sony would consider splurging. The glow up these games would get under Sony's hand would just be stunning.

You wouldn't secure Avengers for anything, FYI. You don't get to randomly change predetermined licensing deals like that.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Exclusivity locked out of PC is something I dont want to see for IPs like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider.

Now if Sony would release those IPs on PC alongside on Playstation, I wouldnt mind (which is why I wouldnt mind MS doing it).

Would a delayed PC release be acceptable(Like what Sony has been doing lately with their PC ports)?

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
If we talking just the western branch, I would imagine Microsoft being more likely to bite, if it's the entirety of SE, I could see Sony being willing to bite the bullet in order to not lose Final Fantasy.
Either way, I just think Tomb Raider needs that glow-up, and so does Deus Ex and Thief. They would just be freaking stunning when treated as exclusives. I wish one of these juggernauts would consider it.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't understand why my bullshit rumor never made it this far but this one (less probable) does it.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
There's this graph but it's from 2014 so Avengers has probably grown quite significantly:

BUqziJk.jpg
Yeah. it's probably pretty hard to determine currently. Avengers has had huge growth since then (like we see from box office numbers). Of course films are not only barometer for the success of the brand though.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
That is fine too but "lately"?

They've only done that for Horizon and its not consistent.

Fair enough, let's say they do it for these properties. Would you accept this if it meant an amazing quality game backed either by their budget or by one of Sony's first party studios?

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
Please, no. Crystal Dynamics sucks, but under a better management I can see them becoming better. Every single Ubisoft game feels the same, doesn't matter who make it.
Didn't io just announce 007? Don't think I believe this.
IOI is not a part of Square Enix anymore, i think they are an independent studio that's partnered with WB.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Does anybody think that Sony or Microsoft is interested in Square Enix? Securing Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Thief, Deus Ex and Avengers for your brand is quite a feat.

I wish Sony would consider splurging. The glow up these games would get under Sony's hand would just be stunning.
Deus Ex and Thief being exclusive to a console is the worst timeline a PC gamer can imagine.

It was largely Invisible War and Thief 3 being cut in scope to accommodate consoles that were responsible for the PC Master race sentiment back in 2000s.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Well if it is true and it's getting reported today then we should find out in a couple of minutes, right?

We're not finding in a couple of minutes because it's bloody 4chan guys, c'mon

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sure, but you said all their success came from their japanese branch when that isn't true because Tomb Raider exists. The rumour here is quite unlikely because it includes Tomb Raider which is very lucrative for sure.

And consistency doesn't matter much when they still sell far less than Tomb Raider at its worst - that should show you the strength of that IP. At its best it sells way above any Final Fantasy game.

I said "in recent years". The TR that did well is like 7 years old by now.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm happy to dismiss this specific rumour out of hand, I do have to acknowledge that the former Edios has had a remarkably shitty generation (it's really only Rise of the Tomb Raider that could be argued didn't bomb, everything else was a flop fest) and everyone's on high alert for major acquisitions after the Zenimax deal. Square Enix selling off its Western studios in the relatively near future is something I could plausibly see happen, and I could see them adding a few IPs to pump up the price tag (although Tomb Raider is 100% staying put).

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Fair enough, let's say they do it for these properties. Would you accept this if it meant an amazing quality game backed either by their budget or by one of Sony's first party studios?

I was trying to edit my previous post to answer the question lol.

To answer your question of course, I love Sony's IPs and have almost all of their first party titles on the PS4 (except for Days Gone, Last of Us Part 2 and Concrete Genie - all of which I will get sometime next year when the sales deals are better).

I dont doubt their development studios as I enjoyed a lot of the games from Sony.

In terms of development Sony or MS over Ubisoft for sure. Ubisoft is the worst.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I kinda want to know the story behind this
The wall collapsed at a Morton Salt storage facility

abcnews.go.com

Massive Spill at Morton Salt Factory

A salt spill at the Morton Salt facility in Chicago caused a partial wall collapse and an outpouring of salt into an Acura dealership next door.
www.chicagotribune.com

Not kosher: Morton Salt wall collapses, piles salt on cars

Morton Salt storage facility wall collapses dumping salt on cars parked at the neighboring dealership

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Either way, I just think Tomb Raider needs that glow-up, and so does Deus Ex and Thief. They would just be freaking stunning when treated as exclusives. I wish one of these juggernauts would consider it.
Its a real shame too, Cory Barlog was the cinematics director for Reboot Raider, and the Lost Legacy duo is chilling at Naughty Dog. Plenty of Sony talent that is perfect for helping CD course correct for Tomb Raider. The same thing is true for Deus Ex, but with Eidos/Microsoft.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I'm not the one you asked, but I personally think Arkane is much more equipped to deal with franchises like Thief and Deus Ex than any of the Sony's first-party studios, Sony doesn't even make immersive sims. Tomb Raider is a different matter, but I'd like to see what Ninja Theory can make with a property.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Its a real shame too, Cory Barlog was the cinematics director for Reboot Raider, and the Lost Legacy duo is chilling at Naughty Dog. Plenty of Sony talent that is perfect for helping CD course correct for Tomb Raider. The same thing is true for Deus Ex, but with Eidos/Microsoft.
You make an excellent point! I don't blame the talent in the studios. I really think something is off from the publisher's point of view...

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Selling off entire studio branches 2 months after a disappointing launch would be the quickest turn over ever. So this seems very unlikely. These rumors would have had to start last November to be seen as possible.

Also their western studios are working on Athia aren't they?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Square Enix has an enormous amount of it's value tied to assets that aren't going to help them sell consoles, like MMOs, mobile, and Manga.

It would probably be in the Bethesda price range but without the huge 30+ million selling IP like Elder Scrolls. It's possible MS could just not give a shit and buy them anyways knowing they'd never recoup their investment, but that's not typically how companies operate.

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason i thought his name was Balrog and now im disappointed it isnt ;___;

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
They expect to seel Crystal Dinamics and Eidos ans ome of their lessen western studios? IPs included? Just because ONE badly marketed game flopped because they thought people wanted a Destiny 2 but Marvel?
When the FF movie bombed so bad, Enix came to the rescue and merged with Square. Don't know how much sales were of Avengers but just because SE is a big company now, doesn't mean they can afford to make big losses in gaming, if it'll affect the company bottomline. They aren't MS with deep pockets

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
While I think that Squeenix may be interested in floating the idea of selling off some western divisions potentially golds water, the selling off to Ubisoft seems dubious at best. I would not be surprised to hear other publishers being interested

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
You make an excellent point! I don't blame the talent in the studios. I really think something is off from the publisher's point of view...
SE screwed CD/Eidos at quite literally every step of the way this gen

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox timed exclusity
Deus Ex - Forcing the resource draining MP mode unto Mankind Divided, when its obvious that Eidos was having none of it
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Launching opposite Spider-Man (what in the actual fuck was SE smoking?!)
Avengers - Spider-Man Sony exclusivity

Not one release, did they not fumble in some way or another

Oct 27, 2017
SE screwed CD/Eidos at quite literally every step of the way this gen

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox timed exclusity
Deus Ex - Forcing the resource draining MP mode unto Mankind Divided, when its obvious that Eidos was having none of it
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Launching opposite Spider-Man (what in the actual fuck was SE smoking?!)
Avengers - Spider-Man Sony exclusivity

Not one release, did they not fumble in some way or another
Didn't Rise also get the double whammy of launching on the same day as Fallout 4? I remember thinking why Microsoft or Square didn't consider delaying just a little bit.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix has an enormous amount of it's value tied to assets that aren't going to help them sell consoles, like MMOs, mobile, and Manga.

It would probably be in the Bethesda price range but without the huge 30+ million selling IP like Elder Scrolls. It's possible MS could just not give a shit and buy them anyways knowing they'd never recoup their investment, but that's not typically how companies operate.

i think Sony can benefit more from Square Enix compared to the Microsoft
because they make anime and mobile games too

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I don't think this is true

But

Why are people assuming Square would not sell their western IPs? Literally all of them bombed lol, the only one that could be worth something is Tomb Raider.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When the FF movie bombed so bad, Enix came to the rescue and merged with Square. Don't know how much sales were of Avengers but just because SE is a big company now, doesn't mean they can afford to make big losses in gaming, if it'll affect the company bottomline. They aren't MS with deep pockets

Nope. Enix and Square was already talking about merging. The bombed movie actually made them delay the merger because Enix lost confidence.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think IO got a lucky break with being let go early

I mean they're making a fucking Bond game, thats quite a big get

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I could see this being a Lionhead scenario. (Microsoft / Fable)

The publisher is unhappy with the output of their studio(s). So they want to sell the studio(s) to recoup some money, but potential buyers would only make the purchase if the IP is included. The result is a studio closure or two.

No publisher sells IP.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Square Enix doing this, quite honestly. They're a Japanese gaming company, so that's an automatic -20 to their ability to do international business, and lot/most of the Eidos related stuff is based out of Montreal, where Ubisoft has a presence. It's probably easier to sell it to them than Microsoft or Sony, who'd have to get up to date with the Quebec laws.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I could see this being a Lionhead scenario. (Microsoft / Fable)

The publisher is unhappy with the output of their studio(s). So they want to sell the studio(s) to recoup some money, but potential buyers would only make the purchase if the IP is included. The result is a studio closure or two.

No publisher sells IP.
True though SE gave up the Hitman IP for free. They're a bit weird in that context.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is true

But

Why are people assuming Square would not sell their western IPs? Literally all of them bombed lol, the only one that could be worth something is Tomb Raider.

they could never release a tomb raider game again still that's fuckloads of passive revenue there

IP ownership isn't always about how this or that game bomba'd

Status
Not open for further replies.