• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This rumour is claiming that Square Enix is going to sell all their western studios, all their IPs, their publishing european label and the "Collective initiative".

Square Enix is going to lose so much value if something like this happens.

And I would find the rumor believable with all of those points except the IP. Not a chance Square gives those up

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Why tf are we humoring some random 4chan post?
I mean success is all a matter of expectations, but according to this Eurogamer Article from 2013, they expected to sell 14 million units of Tomb Raider in the first 6 months, and ended up selling 3.4 million. 3.4 million in a vaccum is not a bad number, but compared to expectations of 14 million, it is dismal at best.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Eventually I think that game sold closer to 8 million or something, but they were also regularly putting it on sale for $5 or less. By my understanding, ROTTR did even worse and Shadow even worse, so at a certain point, if none of these games are even coming close to hitting projected sales numbers...again, it doesn't make them failures, but by their metric of success, they weren't hitting.

You need to relax. Go take a walk or something. If you are that invested in this, you need to step back and get some perspective.

14 million in the first 6 months is GTA level. That's what I mean when I said SEs projections for their games are in a different reality and cannot be used as a measure of what constitutes success in our current market. Using that as the basis of why they should sell off half their company seems unimaginably silly, the idea that this is coming from a 4chan post even more so.

Mentioning how frequent the games go on sale as a way to question their profitablity, but ignoring the fact that all these games have season passes and higher profit returns because of it seems like a misstep on your part.

I'm not saying this can't happen, but if it did it would be insane and not because as you said, they have released no successful games in 10 years. That's crazy.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt this is real,

but whatever happens please just give me reboot Tomb Raider 4 soon Thanks.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
All I care about is getting another damn Deus Ex game lol.

I mean, ofc this isnt actually happening. First of all, they shuold have known this was going to be a risky launch. Especially if they were paying attention to what just happened with Anthem. GAAS games are basically the new MMOs. Everyone wants to make one, but they rarely commit the time and effort into doing it right. They have an ok platform to build on right now, should they decide to continue working on it.

Whoever is in charge of their Western development studios needs to be fired though lol. They keep making this stupid decisions and then blaming the developers for their epic failures.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Frankly, Eidos and CD would be better off at Ubisoft... or EA.... or Activision ... or Tencet (... or , of course, MS/Sony)

Anyone else would be an improvement

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, this sounds like someone throwing out something "believable"

You're not wrong in general but I think Spider-Man is actually still considered bigger than the MCU/Avengers brand.

Oh. You might be right (I just thought about the massive success of Avengers films which dwarf Spider-man films in box office). Would be nice to have some actual figures. Still nevertheless one of the biggest entertainment brands in the world though.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Uh no, that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works...

Outside of FF and DQ, it's not like SE Japan is exactly rolling in IPs that sell great.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I somehow doubt this.

Eidos Montreal aren't exactly a good fit for the Ubigame- unless Siege 2 is gonna have cyborgs with augmentations. In which case, yeah, they can probably fold EM into Ubisoft Montreal.

Crystal Dynamics I can see, I guess.

As for the IPs... yeah, no. Eidos has a treasure trove of retro IPs that occasionally bring Squeeenix some extra scratch from Steam and GOG sales. There's little point in just giving that away.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
EnScFIbXMAM-Zhd

How did this get a five-page thread?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Uh no, that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works...

Outside of FF and DQ, it's not like SE Japan is exactly rolling in IPs that sell great.

All their sucess in recent years comes from the japanese branch. That branch also makes them like a billion each year in mobile $$$.

Them selling their western branch wouldn't be THAT weird, but this rumor seems like BS.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
14 million in the first 6 months is GTA level. That's what I mean when I said SEs projections for their games are in a different reality and cannot be used as a measure of what constitutes success in our current market. Using that as the basis of why they should sell off half their company seems unimaginably silly, the idea that this is coming from a 4chan post even more so.

Mentioning how frequent the games go on sale as a way to question their profitablity, but ignoring the fact that all these games have season passes and higher profit returns because of it seems like a misstep on your part.

I'm not saying this can't happen, but if it did it would be insane and not because as you said, they have released no successful games in 10 years. That's crazy.
Not that I believe this rumor, but for the sake of argument, Square Enix would be the one evaluating the viability of their divisions, so what they think constitutes a failure does matter. If we and every other publisher on the planet thinks 3.8M copies is good means nothing if SE sees it as a failure.

Some publishers are infamous for setting impossibly high standards for studios and using their inevitable shortfall as an excuse to shut them down or cancel projects.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
All their sucess in recent years comes from the japanese branch. That branch also makes them like a billion each year in mobile $$$.

Them selling their western branch wouldn't be THAT weird, but this rumor seems like BS.
Yes, not doubting the money they make, but it's from only a handful of IPs, which is why they wouldn't do this.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. You might be right (I just thought about the massive success of Avengers films which dwarf Spider-man films in box office). Would be nice to have some actual figures. Still nevertheless one of the biggest entertainment brands in the world though.

There's this graph but it's from 2014 so Avengers has probably grown quite significantly:

BUqziJk.jpg

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Tomb Raider is the biggest IP SE has and the second-best selling IP of their whole catalogue. If it weren't for their mismanagement it would be by far their best-selling IP.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Tomb Raider is the biggest IP SE has and the second-best selling IP of their whole catalogue. If it weren't for their mismanagement it would be by far their best-selling IP.

You are explaining why I think a sale isn't that unlikely in your post. They are mismanaged AF in their western branch and constantly lose money and let easy wins slide by.

All their Japanese IP are way more consistent than their Tomb Raider version in sales.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Selling Eidos and CD? Sure
Selling their respective IPs? Do we need to have the Konami-Silent Hill-Sony discussion again?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the western division of Square Enix is in a tough spot right now. It's probably easy to see the performance of their games in terms of how much Final Fantasy profit did they burn, and how many Final Fantasy games could have been made with their budget.

That said I'm not sure a deal could be reached this quickly short of it being a gift.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Does anybody think that Sony or Microsoft is interested in Square Enix? Securing Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Thief, Deus Ex and Avengers for your brand is quite a feat.

I wish Sony would consider splurging. The glow up these games would get under Sony's hand would just be stunning.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
So eidos? That would be nuts but Avengers was probably a massive blunder that will probably mean the beginning of the end for CD.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Just give me back Deus Ex :(

I don't care who owns it, as long as it's resurrected.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm curious to know your take on this.

Exclusivity locked out of PC is something I dont want to see for IPs like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider.

Now if Sony would release those IPs on PC alongside on Playstation, I wouldnt mind (which is why I wouldnt mind MS doing it).

Does anybody think that Sony or Microsoft is interested in Square Enix? Securing Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Thief, Deus Ex and Avengers for your brand is quite a feat.

I wish Sony would consider splurging. The glow up these games would get under Sony's hand would just be stunning.

Not FF, western IPs - meaning Eidos group (Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You want to know what is funny?
When I was younger I always thought Dues Ex was a Ubisoft game.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019

If we talking just the western branch, I would imagine Microsoft being more likely to bite, if it's the entirety of SE, I could see Sony being willing to bite the bullet in order to not lose Final Fantasy.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You are explaining why I think a sale isn't that unlikely in your post. They are mismanaged AF in their western branch and constantly lose money and let easy wins slide by.

All their Japanese IP are way more consistent than their Tomb Raider version in sales.

Sure, but you said all their success came from their japanese branch when that isn't true because Tomb Raider exists. The rumour here is quite unlikely because it includes Tomb Raider which is very lucrative for sure.

And consistency doesn't matter much when they still sell far less than Tomb Raider at its worst - that should show you the strength of that IP. At its best it sells way above any Final Fantasy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.