• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This isn't entirely true. Tomb Raider 2013 did fine and Rise eventually, very slowly though, got to within fine expectations as well once it released on all platforms and after things like sales.

Shadow wasn't so lucky and all the rest of those teams were pulled off "riskier" projects with the intend on putting them on a "sure thing" based on a massive IP which ended up being Avengers.

I do believe there will be fallout for those teams because of that massive miss, but I don't believe this rumor for a second for a variety of reasons, including the IP jettison in a world where IP means everything right now.

I mean success is all a matter of expectations, but according to this Eurogamer Article from 2013, they expected to sell 14 million units of Tomb Raider in the first 6 months, and ended up selling 3.4 million. 3.4 million in a vaccum is not a bad number, but compared to expectations of 14 million, it is dismal at best.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Eventually I think that game sold closer to 8 million or something, but they were also regularly putting it on sale for $5 or less. By my understanding, ROTTR did even worse and Shadow even worse, so at a certain point, if none of these games are even coming close to hitting projected sales numbers...again, it doesn't make them failures, but by their metric of success, they weren't hitting.

That's horseshit. You list sequel after sequel and yet claim nothing from these studios has done well. Those games got sequels because their predessors sold in several millions. The Tomb Raider trilogy especially. For fucks sake you just called a game that sold over 10 million copies, and it's sequel 7 million, disappointments. What on gods green earth do you consider successful?

These games not meeting SEs absurd short term expectations, (which have become a bit of a joke in sales had/erA) does not make them unsuccessful and unprofitable.

This rumor means the selling off of hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate, studios, and potential profit for a short term gain. SE has spent the last decade trying to diversify and this would basically put them back to 0.

You need to relax. Go take a walk or something. If you are that invested in this, you need to step back and get some perspective.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this'll do anything in terms of improving chances for a new Legacy of Kain.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ubisoft is a good fit, but i don't think we will see any more Deus Ex for a while, that series is pretty niche. HR's success was really lucky because it came out when even normies were getting sick of the COD clones & an FPS/RPG was unique to many, now RPG elements have been integrated into most shooters & Deus Ex loses a lot of it's appeal to a wider audience.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
> 4chan
> probably not true
4chan rumor: gullible websites keep picking up stories from shady forum
Should we ban 4chan as a source for rumours?
Why tf are we humoring some random 4chan post?
For my part i believe this is fake but also there have been real leaks done in 4chan, don't know why people act as it was always fake

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Maybe that's what Embracer is trying to embrace? They said they are in talks with 100 studios, 12 of them large...

If not all, then parts not bought by Ubi?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
EnScFIbXMAM-Zhd
Fake. Selling off ips is dumb as fuck

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I mean success is all a matter of expectations, but according to this Eurogamer Article from 2013, they expected to sell 14 million units of Tomb Raider in the first 6 months, and ended up selling 3.4 million. 3.4 million in a vaccum is not a bad number, but compared to expectations of 14 million, it is dismal at best.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Eventually I think that game sold closer to 8 million or something, but they were also regularly putting it on sale for $5 or less. By my understanding, ROTTR did even worse and Shadow even worse, so at a certain point, if none of these games are even coming close to hitting projected sales numbers...again, it doesn't make them failures, but by their metric of success, they weren't hitting.

You need to relax. Go take a walk or something. If you are that invested in this, you need to step back and get some perspective.

Just FYI - but you are misquoting that article. The 13-14 million number was combined expectations for three games, not just Tomb Raider.

The article you posted even states that:

"There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks."

From what I know from people that would know, the game eventually legged out to "fine" territory and Rise did as well.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Well according to the leaker the news will break within 24 hours.

So if nothing materializes after that, let's call this another reason not to believe 4chan.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just FYI - but you are misquoting that article. The 13-14 million number was combined expectations for three games, not just Tomb Raider.

The article you posted even states that:

"There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks."

From what I know from people that would know, the game eventually legged out to "fine" territory and Rise did as well.

I did mis-read that.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some great IPs change hands then. Some of the studios like CD need some fine tuning and I am not sure Ubisoft is the right publisher to do so. They would probably get them into their cookie cutter gameplay and production schedule, though they admittedly have some gems that don't use their usual formula.

Not sure who else of the third party publishers would be a great fit though.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason something like this would gain traction is because people wanna keep shitting on Avengers but have run out of things to shit on Avengers for so they'll suck up any made-up junk to keep the momentum up.

It's fucked, CD's in a fucked spot and SE's western division's not doing the best, but this isn't "welp, gotta sell off to Ubisoft" levels of catastrophe.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
For my part i believe this is fake but also there have been real leaks done in 4chan, don't know why people act as it was always fake

It's the usual cycle we go through because people have short term memories and don't remember previous leaks that came from 4chan.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
All that over one game?? Yeah, it would take a bigger set of failures for that to even be a consideration.
I wouldn't say this rumor holds much water, but Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Hitman also under-performed. It's not just Avengers, but I can see how Avengers could be the last straw, since it's bound to be their most expensive game as well.
Fake. Selling off ips is dumb as fuck
I agree with that, but we're also talking about the publisher that let IOI walk away with Hitman.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'd believe this rumor only because everything is so bizzaro world these days. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the "save us Phil" bullshit started already or not.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That would probably mean better chances for Deus Ex so i hope it's true :p

Tho it kind of kills the Western FF dream lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't really feel like SE selling off the IP is that outlandish in this scenario. If they're wanting to pull out of development on the western side then I don't really see them having any use for said IP really.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
The ratio of whats true and whats not for 4chan rumors is heavily skewed in the fake territory.

I'd say it's about half and half, if we're counting actual leak-style threads (huge OP post with subsequent info dump posts afterwards and possible replies) compared to guess-leak threads(somewhat long OP and that's it).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Please release those good studios from the absolutely incompetent middle management of Square Enix, thank you

I thought about this. This is a company that needed Tomb Raider to sell 10m+ to be successful. That couldn't realize that maybe Marvel's Avengers should've been delayed by at least a year. That botched Deus Ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.