• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Finally means we get the Deus Ex + Rabbids crossover we've always wanted.

serious tho it's an odd move, and not necessarily the worst I suppose?

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, it's Black Friday. TBH you'd think it'd be cheaper if it was as much a failure as people want it to be. For Black Friday even best-sellers that are months old usually go for $40. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is the best selling AC ever, isn't a month old, and you can find it for $49 and Amazon had it in a Buy2Get1 sale for that price.
Yeah, fair point. I didn't mean to defend this rumour, just pointed out funny coincidence.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If Deus Ex is up for sale I need Sony to jump in ASAP cause I need a Bluepoint remake of the original Deus Ex in my life

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Don't see it happening -- Tomb Raider is easily their biggest franchise after Final Fantasy.

That said, I do think there's going to be some consolidating. Give Lara Croft back to Crystal Dynamics, get Eidos back on Deus Ex, drop stuff like Just Cause and The Avengers.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I could see it. When I think of Ubisoft, I think of Montreal and San Francisco. When I think of EIDOS and CD, I think of Montreal and San Francisco. Geographically anyway, it makes sense. Though you could say the same thing about EA, I think.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, a company will sell off 50% of it's workforce and it's entire diverse portfolio because one game underperformed.

Adds up

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Square Japanese properties are the one that have been more successful in the last few years. Don't know why thy keep pushing their Western Ips so bad.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I could see it. When I think of Ubisoft, I think of Montreal and San Francisco. When I think of EIDOS and CD, I think of Montreal and San Francisco. Geographically anyway, it makes sense. Though you could say the same thing about EA, I think.

It makes sense for a lot of publishers to be fair lol

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So basically selling the Eidos stuff to Ubi?

Doubt it but who knows, SE deserves all the blame though because they are the reason Avengers and Tomb Raider sold like ass.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Even if you buy that SE is selling it's western divisions to Ubi (I do not at this point in time) - they'd have no reason to jettison all that IP, particularly stuff like Tomb Raider.

They could keep some of the more lucrative IP instead and license it out and make more bags of money that way.

This doesn't make a whole bunch of sense in my opinion.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ah yes, a company will sell off 50% of it's workforce and it's entire diverse portfolio because one game underperformed.

Adds up

Also the following games under performed: Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Just Cause 4 (not sure about 3)...basically nothing from those studios has performed well for them in almost a decade.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
What does western division mean here? Huge parts of Athia are being developed in the west and SE seems really happy with that. Do they just mean CD and Eidos? That seems unlikely though I suppose altogether not impossible.

Wait are you saying parts of Athia are being outsourced to western studios not under Square Enix, or outsourced to western SE studios?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
If this happened, I just couldn't see Square making a private deal with Ubisoft. They would turn it into a bidding war for all those studios and IPs because they could easily get a lot of money doing that. Tomb Raider (Lara Croft) is one of the most recognizable names in gaming and Deus Ex and several of the other SE Western IPs have a lot of brand value to them as well (Life is Strange, Thief, Sleeping Dogs etc) so that would easily start a bidding war especially when including the studios that made these games as well.

And either way, I just don't see Ubisoft being the one who would buy these studios/IPs. If anyone were to buy them it would be the Embracer group, Xbox, Sony or Tencent/Google/Amazon/Apple

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Also the following games under performed: Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Just Cause 4 (not sure about 3)...basically nothing from those studios has performed well for them in almost a decade.

This isn't entirely true. Tomb Raider 2013 did fine and Rise eventually, very slowly though, got to within fine expectations as well once it released on all platforms and after things like sales.

Shadow wasn't so lucky and all the rest of those teams were pulled off "riskier" projects with the intend on putting them on a "sure thing" based on a massive IP which ended up being Avengers.

I do believe there will be fallout for those teams because of that massive miss, but I don't believe this rumor for a second for a variety of reasons, including the IP jettison in a world where IP means everything right now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You do realize this is 4chan, right? The odds of this being true are a crapshoot.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this gets into weird territory, but based on the types of games these publishers make and are interested in, somebody like Microsoft seems like a way better fit for these teams than Ubisoft. Especially if the IP/back catalogue rights are up for sale, that's exactly what a company running a huge subscription service would be interested in picking up.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ugh. I hope not. Ubisoft games are too templatey. I can already imagine what tomb raider and Deus ex would become under their control...i mean...not that square enix handled those franchises amazingly either, but still.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, this sounds like someone throwing out something "believable"

it's kinda amazing how Square fucked up with as big IP as Avengers. Especially after the massive success of Spider-Man (smaller IP). it could have been the moment for SE to break into the big guys club.

You're not wrong in general but I think Spider-Man is actually still considered bigger than the MCU/Avengers brand.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Since they're doing absolutely nothing with the Legacy of Kain IP, and Avengers would surely be in better hands with Ubi (even after everything), I'd oddly be okay with this.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they will sell and I doubt this rumor is true, but we all know they will being reconsidering things at these studios. It isn't CD or Eidos' fault that Avengers failed, anyways. It was Square Enix's management that led to this release.

They already knew internally that the game wasn't winning anybody over from day one. The mood over Avengers was sour and lukewarm since its reveal, and the beta was really the only time I ever saw people excited or interested in the game. Once the beta came and went, people knew what this game was and wanted nothing to do with it.

Instead of chasing the trend of live service games, they should have been working toward making a good game. People go to SE, and in particular CD, for their single player games. That is their strength. They needed to just build off of that. MP could have always come later.

Also they shouldn't rush to do anything. If they are allowed and are willing, fix the gamebreaking bugs and do an internal roadmap overhaul. Make this game F2P and/or do a lot of revisions with the gameplay and post-game content and do a soft relaunch on PS5

They can potentially salvage this. Fortnite wasn't a success overnight. It was a fairly okay $60 game then they added battle royal and made it F2P and the game exploded.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Ideally I would want Eidos/Deus Ex at XGS, and Tomb Raider/Crystal Dynamics at SIE. Cory already worked on Tomb Raider, and the Lost Legacy directors would do wonders with the IP...

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

That's horseshit. You list sequel after sequel and yet claim nothing from these studios has done well. Those games got sequels because their predessors sold in several millions. The Tomb Raider trilogy especially. For fucks sake you just called a game that sold over 10 million copies, and it's sequel 7 million, disappointments. What on gods green earth do you consider successful?

These games not meeting SEs absurd short term expectations, (which have become a bit of a joke in sales had/erA) does not make them unsuccessful and unprofitable over their lifetime.

This rumor means the selling off of hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate, studios, and potential profit for a short term gain. SE has spent the last decade trying to diversify and this would basically put them back to 0.

Avengers ONLY selling 3 million in its launch month instead of 5 is not some hit the escape hatch emergency button situation.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please release those good studios from the absolutely incompetent middle management of Square Enix, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.