• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I'm gonna be controversial here but as someone who was very hyped for it and has owned Panzer Dragoon Saga since its original release (not bragging...okay maybe a little): I think the game is not that good. It's good and it's definitely worth playing, but I never saw it as some all-time great. It's the type of game where I feel the fact it's fairly niche has made people who played it hype it up to unrealistic levels. Like I said: I really like the game and enjoyed it a lot, but the years have made it into this legendary game that I feel it's just not.

Same can be said of so many games. So many...

Nov 8, 2017
it is absolutely not a port of the PC release at all. It doesn't use the original source code at all. Simple disassembly analysis of the binaries shows this. It is, quite literally, a full remake.

It's baffling people who want to look smart and pretend what we've known for years is wrong.
Yes, Panzer Dragoon on PS2 is a PC port. Jeez.

Proof

Those SEGA AGES games have always been ports. It doesn't matter if you don't find the exact same code. That's what a port is: you take A, work on it and you get B.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those SEGA AGES games have always been ports. It doesn't matter if you don't find the exact same code. That's what a port is: you take A, work on it and you get B.
This isn't actually true. A lot of the Sega Ages releases on PS2 are remakes, like Outrun, Phantasy Star, and Golden Axe.

For example:

Also, Digital Foundry analyzes how the games run and look but they don't go as far as analyzing the game's files. If what Krejlooc says is right, then the PS2 release isn't just a straight port of the PC version. Going by their video, I don't get the idea they actually have any reasoning for calling it a port of the PC version aside from visual similarities.

Last edited:

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought that this was the one announced for Switch. I am sure that I am wrong. Can someone please enlighten me? Sorry to be a pain.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Something tells me that Sega just doesn't have the ability to make a game like this again. Same with proper Shining Force and not those lame spinoffs.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's baffling people who want to look smart and pretend what we've known for years is wrong.
Yes, Panzer Dragoon on PS2 is a PC port. Jeez.

Proof

A) Digital Foundry comes to me when they make these kinds of videos, I have appeared on digital foundry and do work with Jon. They've been wrong before in the past, like in their 32X video where they talk about how the 32X doesn't have any scrolling capability (it does, it has a word scroll which is necessary).

B) "It looks like this other game built from the same assets" is not how you determine if they are based on the same code

C) those sega ages games were NOT ports, the Sega Ages 2500 collection, during the D3 era, were REMAKES. The Panzer Dragoon remake is one of the D3 remakes, which include things like:

Fantasy Zone:
Sega%20Ages%202500%20Series%20Vol.%203:%20Fantasy%20Zone%20(PlayStation%202).jpg

Alien Syndrome:
hqdefault.jpg

Space Harrier:
uVjf7Jp.jpg

They didn't port Panzer Dragoon, porting is not what you think it is. They remade a facsimile of the original Panzer Dragoon from scratch.

Nov 8, 2017
Also, Digital Foundry analyzes how the games run and look but they don't go as far as analyzing the game's files. If what Krejlooc says is right, then the PS2 release isn't just a straight port of the PC version.

Then remasters/ports don't exist at all in your world since they will always modify the code ?
I guess I discovered the true & official definition of a remake today.
*laugh*
the whole world was wrong for so long

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing another member and off-site drama
Then remasters/ports don't exist at all in your world since they will always modify the code ?
I guess I discovered the true & official definition of a remake today.
*laugh*
the whole world was wrong for so long

Hey I remember you, you were the dude who threw that huge fit when that japanese player at TGS posted all his impressions of the Panzer Dragoon remake, and you called him a liar, when the game shipped exactly as he said it did. I see what you're doing here.

5BCWpkD.png

qZzpAVP.png

Remasters quite literally use the original code. The opposite of what Panzer Dragoon PS2 does.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be controversial here but as someone who was very hyped for it and has owned Panzer Dragoon Saga since its original release (not bragging...okay maybe a little): I think the game is not that good. It's good and it's definitely worth playing, but I never saw it as some all-time great. It's the type of game where I feel the fact it's fairly niche has made people who played it hype it up to unrealistic levels. Like I said: I really like the game and enjoyed it a lot, but the years have made it into this legendary game that I feel it's just not.

For what it's worth - I agree. That's not to say it's a bad game. It's not. It's a great game and one I had a blast playing. But it certainly isn't one of the best games of all time, IMO, and it definitely has quite a few very obvious flaws - especially trying to enjoy it today in the context of more modern gameplay decisions and improved graphics.

Again - I liked it. I had fun. I hope way more people can experience it soon and decide for themselves. It sucks its stuck on an obscure system and is astronomically expensive.

Nov 8, 2017
Hey I remember you, you were the dude who threw that huge fit when that japanese player at TGS posted all his impressions of the Panzer Dragoon remake, and you called him a liar, when the game shipped exactly as he said it did. I see what you're doing here.

Wow, what a perverse argument you use here. I never called him a liar. I called out his wording when he used the words "trash". That's not how a professional who makes games himself should speak. Also, it has nothing to do with the subject here.

Remasters use the original code and enhance them so in the end, the whole package is modified.

You can argue about the definition of a remake/remaster/port that has never been set in stone and that has been the cause of many discussions for years but the fact is those SEGA AGES have not completely been done from scratch. Most people will understand that a Remake is for the most part, remade from scratch.
That might not be the case in your world but maybe real people don't use your definition.

EDIT: the tweet didn't display before:
-runs worse than the Saturn OG ? lol, the original run at 15-20 fps. the remake runs at a stable 30fps for the most part
-absurd input lag. The input lag is when rotating camera. I didn't notice this during my gameplay but I was filming. But the wording used here is so hyperbolic as if the whole game has "absurd input lag". It's so incorrect. Ask people who actually played it.
-gfx aren't universally bad but barely match the Panzer Dragoon aesthetic. Where do I see complaints about this? Where?

I never said the game was perfect and I am of the first person who made a list of improvements that were necessary. I sent to the devs. But hey, the feedback he sent was clearly orientated. Maybe he was unhappy for political reasons. The fact is that's way too hyperbolic VS the real state of the game.
Again, stop derailing the topic with calumnious arguments.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Not that I believe this, but it doesn't need a FVIIR-like budget. It's a much smaller game.

I don't even know that we need a FF7R level of remake. I just want it to be available for less than the price of an infant's kidney. I would argue that many of the FF7 remake's decisions, especially including the fact that it's going to be over multiple episodic releases, were made because of the fact that the game is ubiquitous, available on just about any current platform and several recent-but-older ones.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought that this was the one announced for Switch. I am sure that I am wrong. Can someone please enlighten me? Sorry to be a pain.

The one on the Switch is a remake of the first saturn game, "Panzer Dragoon", a rail shooter. This is purporting to be a remake of the third saturn game, "Panzer Dragoon Saga" (or Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG in Japanese), a JRPG. It is particularly exciting for people because there were very few localised copies of the game made, so it is now rare and expensive.

I don't even know that we need a FF7R level of remake. I just want it to be available for less than the price of an infant's kidney. I would argue that many of the FF7 remake's decisions, especially including the fact that it's going to be over multiple episodic releases, were made because of the fact that the game is ubiquitous, available on just about any current platform and several recent-but-older ones.

Yep. I'm actually worried about any changes to the core game system (like the idea in the OP that they would add "above" and "below").

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Panzer Dragoon has a history of professional grade fake-out pranks. Granted, this is the first one I've seen in almost 20 years. Still, I refuse to get even slightly excited until I see/hear something official.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a perverse argument you use here. I never called him a liar. I called out his wording when he used the words "trash". That's not how a professional who makes game himself should speak. Also, it has nothing to do with the subject here.

Remasters use the original code and enhance them so in the end, the whole package is modified.

You can argue about the definition of a remake/remaster/port that has never been set in stone and that has been the cause of many discussions for years but the fact is those SEGA AGES have not been completely been done from scratch. Most people will understand that a Remake is for the most part, remade from scratch.
That might not be the case in your world but maybe real people don't use your definition.

EDIT: the tweet didn't display before:
-runs worse than the Saturn OG ? lol, the original run at 15-20 fps. the remake runs at a stable 30fps for the most part
-absurd input lag. The input lag is when rotating camera. I didn't notice this during my gameplay but I was filming. But the wording used here is so hyperbolic as if the whole game has "absurd input lag". It's so incorrect. Ask people who actually played it.
-gfx aren't universally bad but barely match the Panzer Dragoon aesthetic. Where do I see complaints about this? Where?

I never said the game was perfect and I am of the first person who made a list of improvements that were necessary. I sent to the devs. But hey, the feedback he sent was clearly orientated. Maybe he was unhappy for political reasons. The fact is that's way too hyperbolic VS the real state of the game.
Again, stop derailing the topic with calumnious arguments.
Hey I remember you
NUMFL3p.png

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to see it. I played PD and Zwei on Saturn but Saga came out late and was hard to find stateside.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth - I agree. That's not to say it's a bad game. It's not. It's a great game and one I had a blast playing. But it certainly isn't one of the best games of all time, IMO, and it definitely has quite a few very obvious flaws - especially trying to enjoy it today in the context of more modern gameplay decisions and improved graphics.

Again - I liked it. I had fun. I hope way more people can experience it soon and decide for themselves. It sucks its stuck on an obscure system and is astronomically expensive.
A game doesn't get legendary status just because is a good or great game. That's for sure. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an amazing game in almost every aspect (unique visual and sound design) but also was the last RPG on Saturn, the culmination of the work of the legendary Team Andromeda, a fully poligonal AAA game on par or even surpass Square-Enix efforts on PSX, one of the most expensive second hand Saturn games and so on...

On topic: I don't buy Sega in financing a PDS reimagination of all games, but hey, we got Sakura Wars...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
A fan community that cares about the series in general in the credits? That's pretty nice of the devs.

Not sure where you were going with this gotcha.

edit:
That maybe you should stop being weird about somebody not liking the game you got a special thanks credit for.
Maybe you shouldn't see a fan community in a "Special thanks" section of the credits of a game as a bad thing?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A game doesn't get legendary status just because is a good or great game. That's for sure. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an amazing game in almost every aspect (unique visual and sound design) but also was the last RPG on Saturn, the culmination of the work of the legendary Team Andromeda, a fully poligonal AAA game on par or even surpass Square-Enix efforts on PSX, one of the most expensive second hand Saturn games and so on...

It defo wasn't the last RPG on the saturn. For the west, SF3S1 came out later, and for Japan SF3S3 even later (and became a huge bone of contention between sega and camelot and the reason for them no longer working on the franchise or with sega). Might have been others but I know the SF ones since they were major releases like PDS.

Nov 8, 2017
A fan community that cares about the series in general in the credits? That's pretty nice of the devs.

edit:

Maybe you shouldn't see a fan community in a "Special thanks" section of the credits of a game as a bad thing?

Thank you buddy. The amount of toxic trolls here is just as high if not even higher than in the real world.
Makes me want to vomit. Ready to use the most fallacious and perverse argument.

I remember why I hadn't come here in a long time...

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

edit:

The credit in itself isn't weird, but it becomes pretty weird when the head of said fan community that's credited is being super weird about other Panzer Dragoon fans being critical of the remake, and scolds them for "not being professional".

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Doesn't feel like the current dev team that seems to have this license can do it justice. Also wouldn't surprise me if they posted such info on 4chan themselves to build buzz.

Its a pity as I was more enthralled by PDS than FF7 back in the day, but while one gets its AAA reimagining, Panzer can only hope for an iffy looking facsimile with stock Unreal lighting. Even the intro movie of the Panzer Dragoon remake had a terrible student project feel to it and Panzer Saga has tons of amazing cutscenes, so, egh. Feels bad man.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The credit in itself isn't weird, but it becomes pretty weird when the head of said fan community that's credited is being super weird about other Panzer Dragoon fans being critical of the remake, and scolds them for "not being professional".
There was nothing weird, yet alone "super weird", about their response. What's weird is you framing it that way. LOL

Nov 8, 2017

He is not a fan. I mean he is but more importantly, he is a professional game developper.
Who at the time was probably still fighting to get to work on the Panzer licence.
Enough said

Oh and we have super friendly conversations with fans who are critical of the Remake. In fact, they helped me consolidating a list of things to fix in the game.
So pretending I am weird against people who are critical to the game is so fallacious.
I have worked hard on this, I won't let someone treat me with this kind of disrespect.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is not a fan. I mean he is but more importantly, he is a professional game developper.
Who at the time was probably still fighting to get to work on the Panzer licence.
Enough said

Oh and we have super friendly conversations with fans who are critical of the Remake. In fact, they helped me consolidating a list of things to fix in the game.
So pretending I am weird against people who are critical to the game is so fallacious.
I have worked hard on this, I won't let someone treat me with this kind of disrespect.

There's nothing fallacious about saying you're being weird to others who are critical of the game in your tweets and posts.

It also sounds like you're basically trying to do unpaid QA work for them?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
There's nothing fallacious about saying you're being weird to others who are critical of the game in your tweets and posts.

It also sounds like you're basically trying to do unpaid QA work for them?
It sounds like you're discovering what an hardcore niche fan community usually does.

He's been pretty happy (and critical) about both remakes, not sure what is so weird about that tbh.
Anyway, can we go back on topic instead of going into ad hominem arguments for the rest of the thread?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to believe it, but I'm all for it. Played most of this again fairly recently and a lot of it still holds up, but it really needs some updating.

The battles need to be much harder at times - though they can't be too hard or else more variety should be introduced as well which is more work.
There's one section when you get stuck in a series of battles, followed by a nearly identical series of battles, multiple times over and it's simply annoying.
Just more fleshed out towns...well town.
Can't tell if I love or hate the ease with which you can screw up the final upgrade.
The magic system needs an overhaul. A lot of spells become useless quickly. I was surprised how much my friend and I wanted to test some spells out just to see them, but some way to upgrade spells or mark favorites would be good.
The tutorial in the beginning is nice, and it's good how optional it is, but at the same time it's incredibly unnatural and just a menu.
More post-game fun! That post-game section was always kind of a weird but neat addition. It's nice it's there but it isn't fleshed out enough to justify it existing.
The dungeon when Azel rides with you and you basically loop through the same sections over and over again to reach each individual path is just terribly designed.
Oh, and fuck those tiny little corners required for map completion!

I would love an updated version just to see consistent character models in cutscenes and during gameplay.

I'm sure there's lots of more little additions/fixes people have been dreaming of for decades (oh god!) and would love to hear others' thoughts or comments.

And ever since I saw this thread, the music has been stuck in my head.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
The one on the Switch is a remake of the first saturn game, "Panzer Dragoon", a rail shooter. This is purporting to be a remake of the third saturn game, "Panzer Dragoon Saga" (or Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG in Japanese), a JRPG. It is particularly exciting for people because there were very few localised copies of the game made, so it is now rare and expensive.

Thank you very much! I always thought that Panzer Dragoon Saga was the first game in the series, so that confused me. I always wanted to play it, because it looks to be up right on my alley. Thanks for the clarification. I am interested to see what this turns out to be.

Apr 21, 2018
Something tells me that Sega just doesn't have the ability to make a game like this again. Same with proper Shining Force and not those lame spinoffs.

Nowadays, Panzer Dragoon or Shenmue original creators sure are struggling to convince with Shenmue 3 and Crimson Dragon. (mediocre reviews overall)

On the other hand, SEGA Atlus still shines with extremely well received productions like Persona 5 Royal, Valkyria Chronicles 4 or Yakuza 7 ( Gamekult gave it a very rare 9 out of 10 when Shenmue 3 received a 5. This site is a little bit like the french Edge for VG rating). Sure Shining Force spin off are often mediocre but those are Media Vision games for most of them, Sega of Japan with original Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria's original developpers still at home, is a rock solid RPG maker. Not to mention future team works between Sega of Japan and Atlus for Re FANTASY.

Panzer Dragoon Remake is for the moment a disapointment but i'm glad to hear several patches are coming soon.
@ForeverEntertainment
Take your time for Zwei, learn from your mistakes and keep going, keep listening constructive advices.
I won't be as tolerant if you mess up this one. :)

Last edited:

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
If Forever Entertainment is involved, I don't want it. Saga deserves premiere treatment if it's ever going to get remade.

Apr 21, 2018
If Forever Entertainment is involved, I don't want it. Saga deserves premiere treatment if it's ever going to get remade.
Grounding just finished Space Channel 5 VR, it could be them.

On the other hand, Wildman is full of passion for Takashi Iwade (Sega of Japan), art director of Orta who passed away recently.

Maybe he could be very helpful for Groundings in the future.(if the Saga remake is a thing)Art direction in Crimson Dragoon was kinda meh.
twitter.com

Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record on Twitter

“Iwade-san played "The Gunner of Dragoon" a few years ago. His support is one of the driving forces behind the development of this game.”

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
New Images of Azel Ressurection Appear With a Cryptic Message, Hinting at This Being a Fan Work
new-images-of-azel-ressurection-appear-with-a-cryptic-message-hinting-at-this-being-a-fan-work.jpg

New images of the supposed Panzer Dragoon Saga remake "Azel Resurrection" were posted again on 4chan, and thanks to Simon Gibbs we now know the contents of the message hidden in the artwork.

Full article here.

Fanmade or not, one thing is certain: whoever made these illustrations is very passionate and mighty talented. Let's hope their effort generates a wave of interest for a remake.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Fanmade or not, one thing is certain: whoever made these illustrations is very passionate and mighty talented. Let's hope their effort generates a wave of interest for a remake.
So if the leak is right, there would be a Zwei Remake, a VR game and a Saga Remake in development all at the same time?

I just don't see it.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Fifth place on my JRPG list.

The feelings with this song:

www.youtube.com

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Rest

Azel -Panzer Dragoon RPG - Memorial Album/ Panzer Dragoon Saga Original SoundtrackPanzer Dragoon Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8c07sk3m8&list...

A Remake would be a dream.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I get all this bickering about remake and port. We've never called the numerous street fighter 2 ports as "remakes" even though its brand new code for example.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if the leak is right, there would be a Zwei Remake, a VR game and a Saga Remake in development all at the same time?

I just don't see it.
To be fair 3 months ago, a Panzer Dragoon Remake turned out mostly right, a Zwei remake in development and a VR game also in development, would be nuts as well

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Apologies for the bump, but there's been a recent development...

A teaser website went up today for a "mysterious project"; poking around in the files there's a blurry teaser image, the top letters of which read "Azel Resurrection". The site has a reveal trailer set to go live in Mar 17, 2021 at 5:00 PM:

This comes to us courtesy of Panzer Dragoon World , whom I suspect has had slightly more of a hand in this thing than he's let on ;)

Either way, very interested to finally see what this is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
is there anything linking that website to Sega? Or is this going to turn out to be some sort of fan community remake?