• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they won't be going cross-gen so? Being able to drop at least some of the baked rendering paths will be a boon for developers and iteration time.
Thank god some developers go with the times and won't hold their games back with baked lighting, netbook CPUs and slow HDDs.

Metro RT looks pretty spooky in enclosed, dark environments. Sadly my 2060 shits a brick in the more busy sections. But it got me excited for horror games with this tech. Please REVIII give us ray traced spookieness

That's strange, my laptop 2060 delivers a solid 60 FPS in high settings + high RT 1080p and DLSS on. Your 2060 should be able to do the same without DLSS.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Thank god some developers go with the times and won't hold their games back with baked lighting, netbook CPUs and slow HDDs.

That's strange, my laptop 2060 delivers a solid 60 FPS in high settings + high RT 1080p and DLSS on. Your 2060 should be able to do the same without DLSS.
I turn DLSS off due to weird artifacting in things like lights.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that whatever advancements they will make by this move will enable them to push down the performance hit of raytracing so that poor peasants like me who only have a normal RTX 2070 can actually play those RT only games.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Are you really expecting their next game to have a min spec of RTX2060/NaviRT1....cuz thats pretty much the only way they could completely drop classic rasterization techniques.

Looks at time between 4A Games....games...Okay its totally possible their next game has an RTX2060 as min spec.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Are you really expecting their next game to have a min spec of RTX2060/NaviRT1....cuz thats pretty much the only way they could completely drop classic rasterization techniques.

Looks at time between 4A Games....games...Okay its totally possible their next game has an RTX2060 as min spec.

Sooner we rip off that particular band-aid better.

Same with killing off HDDs as gaming storage devices.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sooner we rip off that particular band-aid better.

Same with killing off HDDs as gaming storage devices.
I agree with RTX/NaviRT being a min spec sooner rather than later.
But from a sales perspective it will take a little while but I believe 4A could do it theyve proven track record of pushing boundaries...which is exciting, them fully focused on a tue graphical powerhouse from the get go, with little need to worry about weak hardware would be a godsend.

As for killing off HDDs....not until SSD prices plummet for high TB amounts.
And I dont see that happening soon....2TB SATA SSDs are still quite costly, let alone a 2TB nvme.
And games seem to be getting bigger and bigger I wouldnt be surprised if 50GB nextgen is considered a small game....god help compression algorithms and the CPUs that need to decompress that shit during installation....or runtime(surprise me devs)
doing it for one project is different from confirming that ALL projects will have it.

Well 100% of their projects since the inception of DXR have used the technology.....them jumping out and saying we loved using DXR and are cutting out classic rasterization isnt that much of a leap.
The Exodus expansion even expanded on their use of DXR, I fully expect Sams Story to utilize even more RTX features....logically the next step is to just jump head first with DXR as their prime pipeline.
Gimp the XBX/PS5 versions if need be 30fps/FauxK but the PC version should be a true PC melter.

Remember their next game is likely only gonna show up like in 2022....by then im sure RTX2060s and NaviRTs will be considered mainstream.
2020 - Ampere
2022 - Hopper
2022 4A games shows us something thats using a properly matured version of DXR on hardware thats actually a generational leap.

I just realized 2 years into the console cycle and Hopper will be walking circles around the XBX/PS5.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if Ampere works as intended, 2000 series would see a massive price reduction. and even then 4A could still offer an "RT off" toggle. it just won't look good because they'll tailor their game with RT on

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little worried that this stuff is what's going to keep next-gen console games chugging at sub-30 fps.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Their lighting in Metro Exodus with raytracing off wasn't great by modern game standards. I wouldn't be too surprised if they're sponsered by Nvidia for an rtx push, like they've been doing on twitter and elsewhere.
Rip framerates if this becomes the new marketing strategy for a lot of games nextgen, with rtx hardware in its preterm state.

At least Kazunori Yamauchi has his head on straight. I think I'll be much more excited for raytracing the gen after next, when I expect the performance to be a lot better and we can push raytracing further than we can now (outside of minecraft and 20 year old games that go from 1000fps to 50fps).

I'll be getting a 2070 super in a few days against my wishes because my evga rma'd 980ti died again a few months after I got it back from evga. But can't say I'm excited to be playing games in the low double digit framerates while I'm playing spot the difference.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with the Xbox Series X stats now out in the wild, how feasible will only raytracing be now on this?
they aren't going RT only. no hardware can do that with modern games. but they'll be making their games with RT in mind and probably no "RT on/off" toggle

that said, Minecraft RT (which is all RT) will definitely be for the Series X

Oct 27, 2017
they aren't going RT only. no hardware can do that with modern games. but they'll be making their games with RT in mind and probably no "RT on/off" toggle

that said, Minecraft RT (which is all RT) will definitely be for the Series X

With the seemingly absurd specs of the series X and the progress that will be made on raytracing I could see global illumination and all those fancy things become the norm, at the very least at the end of the consoles cycle.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for killing off HDDs....not until SSD prices plummet for high TB amounts.

A 1 TB NVMe SSD costs only 120€ though, so by the time next gen games become more widespread, SSDs are even cheaper. 1 TB also should be sufficient for next gen games.

Killing off HDDs should start as soon as possible, it's an easy upgrade and has dramatic effects on games developed with it in mind.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the seemingly absurd specs of the series X and the progress that will be made on raytracing I could see global illumination and all those fancy things become the norm, at the very least at the end of the consoles cycle.
well, 4A figured it out. as did Remedy (theirs is an approximated GI with ray tracing used for higher precision), so full GI is definitely looking likely.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
if Ampere works as intended, 2000 series would see a massive price reduction. and even then 4A could still offer an "RT off" toggle. it just won't look good because they'll tailor their game with RT on
Well this might be hyperbole on Shishkovstovs part but he stated "We are fully into ray tracing, dropping old-school codepath/techniques completely" which I would assume means there would be no version of the game that uses old techniques so turning off RT isnt really an option.
They are effectively jumping straight into developing for the new pipelines much like games that would jump to new shader models exclusively would lock hardware that didnt support the new shader models out entirely.
I'm a little worried that this stuff is what's going to keep next-gen console games chugging at sub-30 fps.
Well if you read the original article this article is quoting, look at how clever 4As solution was.....im actually more excited to see what they can pull off with the power of nextgen CPUs the GPUs we are more than ready for crazy shit without completely gimping the game.
If anything 60+fps will be more feasible with alot of bells and whistles.
Granted a bunch of devs will want the prettiest game award and might aim for 30 but that "~120fps VRR"* badge on your cover will mean alot to anyone who sits on this forum.

*Enthusiasts as im sure a good portion on the gaming side of ERA are, will fuck a goat to know "GameX" has a ~120fps VRR support.