• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone brings up Police Squad, and rightly so, it's great, but I feel like there's another comedy from the era that doesn't get nearly enough love. For anyone looking for another comedy film...

eEIOv9n.jpg

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I don't remember all the jokes, but they had multiple racist jokes against black people including the "jive talk" translation, multiple anti-Asian jokes, and at least one anti-Semitic joke. We also watched Naked Gun and that aged a lot better, though a lot of their light hearted police humor would be seen in a very different light today. They bring up a lot of issues with police being inept and cavalier with body counts and innocents caught in the crossfire, but they do so in a silly tone.
Ugh, yeesh.... that's a shame. I haven't seen this or most of these old comedy movies so I'm always wary of them since they tend to be riddled with problematic jokes that were perceived as OK for the time but were always of terrible especially looking at them now. Thanks for posting this.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What happened to these type of comedies?

Even if you missed a gag, you'd only have to wait like ten seconds for the next one. lol

A similar topic made me discover Angie Tribeca, and while the humor is far more hit or miss I do think it feel like the closest thing I've seen to that type of comedy in the past 20 years.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, yeesh.... that's a shame. I haven't seen this or most of these old comedy movies so I'm always wary of them since they tend to be riddled with problematic jokes that were perceived as OK for the time but were always of terrible especially looking at them now. Thanks for posting this.
Yeah it's a shame because it's an otherwise hilarious movie, but some of the jokes are pretty awful.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I actually had a feeling that the thread would be about Airplane! but I had to click on the thread hoping that there was an actual big story where the same scenario happened.

I rewatched it again recently and while there are still some funny gags, it didn't age as well as I thought it might. Then again, I'm kind of surprised I liked it as much as I did originally without knowing that a good part of the comedy comes from it being a remake/parody of another movie by the same name.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Jesus, if you can't enjoy Airplane! or The Naked Gun or Kentucky Fried Movie, because of problematic content, then I think you really need to remind yourself that these movies were made in a different time, with different societal norms.

Does that make the jokes or situations right nowadays? No.

But these films are products of their times, and its OK to watch them and laugh along with them, because they are damn funny.

I really hope I don't get a ban for this post, but people need to lighten up.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I didn't realize this was a straight parody of a series of movies called Airport until I was well into being an adult. Also, the Airport movies are terrible.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Pros and cons: jiggling tits. I love it, not ideal for kids.

The jive talk: we need to hear from blackERA, because I always imagined THOSE guys talked like that, not all black people. I think Key n peele could do a "no one understands our street talk" skit and no one would bat an eye. It seems kinda woke to me, but I learned long ago I'm not the go to (white) guy for what is insensitive. As a kid I never took it as "black people are stupid." I just thought, white people dont get these guys.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
The jive talk: we need to hear from blackERA, because I always imagined THOSE guys talked like that, not all black people. I think Key n peele could do a "no one understands our street talk" skit and no one would bat an eye. It seems kinda woke to me, but I learned long ago I'm not the go to (white) guy for what is insensitive. As a kid I never took it as "black people are stupid." I just thought, white people dont get these guys.
All the jive dialogue was improvised by the two black actors according to the commentary. I never saw it as a negative thing even as a kid, but pretty cool that these two guys had their own way of speaking. The white people around them seemed lame by comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
Top Secret doesn't get enough love. It had anazing gags and great music. It took me a long time before I got the humans landing on the pigeon statue in the background. Lol.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Angie Tribeca is a pretty good spiritual successor.
Yessss Angie Tribeca is literally almost as good as the Naked Gun series

Top Secret doesn't get enough love. It had anazing gags and great music. It took me a long time before I got the humans landing on the pigeon statue in the background. Lol.
I first saw this movie as a young boy and didn't know what an Anal Intruder was and how it would satisfy his wife. But now as an adult, I am fully aware.

New002

Oct 25, 2017

Logically I should have loved this show, having grown up watching and adoring movies like The Naked Gun, and later the Police Squad series when I learned about it, but Angie Tribeca never came across as more than a cheap imitation to me. It felt like it was trying too hard. I'm sure that sounds like some weird elitist thing but it's a show I really did want to love.

All that being said if anyone loves this sort of comedy and hasn't seen Angie Tribeca I still say to check it out, because however I feel about the quality of the show it is that same style of humor and others did did enjoy the show.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pros and cons: jiggling tits. I love it, not ideal for kids.

I took the joke being the juxtaposition of the slang and the interpreter being an old white lady. That is, it's funny because she's the last person you'd expect to understand jive.