• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I was going to protest but damn the blues brothers is good.

I think I'd put Chicago a wee bit above it though.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
A perfect movie. One of the funniest comedies with some of the best songs in a musical. Truly a magical film.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's one of those comedies that is so packed with jokes, you can discover new ones forever. Only recently did I catch "next up is a favorite of the horn section" before they play Stand By Your Man, a song with no horn.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
It really is a great movie. Too bad Dan Aykroid had to make that abomination of a sequel.

Nov 2, 2019
Fuckin' Illinois nazis

tumblr_p95jiqiE581xox1vqo1_r1_500.gif

Not even just one of the best musical movies ever, but one of the best movies ever with the GOAT soundtrack. I keep forgetting I need to buy the soundtrack on vinyl.

May 8, 2018
It really is a great movie. Too bad Dan Aykroid had to make that abomination of a sequel.

You know I loved the sequel too. I'll admit it wasn't as good as the first but it was still damn fun. I think John Goodman did great in it as Mighty Mac. My only complaint is that I feel Dan was too worried about it being different so he replicated a lot of the first movie in it. Still it's a damn fun watch and has some great numbers that weren't repeats of numbers from the first movie.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You know I loved the sequel too. I'll admit it wasn't as good as the first but it was still damn fun. I think John Goodman did great in it as Mighty Mac. My only complaint is that I feel Dan was too worried about it being different so he replicated a lot of the first movie in it. Still it's a damn fun watch and has some great numbers that weren't repeats of numbers from the first movie.
I'll admit that maybe the music was good, but it had TOO much music and not enough narrative. Plus when things turned to magical (like the suit appearing on the cop character), I checked out completely. The ending sets up this potential crazy car chase, and then...end credits. WTF.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Muddy Waters was scheduled to do a song in front of Rays Music Exchange but was ill and couldn't perform. That's a shame because Muddy was such a Blues legend.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched this. I should check it out, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

After hearing so much hype about it over the years, I watched Young Frankenstein and sat stone-faced through most of it. The only part where I cracked up was the
Puttin on the Ritz
number.

Nov 2, 2019

I enjoyed it for what it is.

No one was going to replace John Belushi but John Goodman did a good job and had a good singing voice. The problem is is that it's SO close to the original formula that it can't get out of it's shadow.

Nazis? Russians.
Pentecostal Church? Tent Revival.
Aretha owns a restaurant? Now a car dealership.
Massive car wrecks? Massive car wrecks.
Save the orphanage? Bring along an orphan.
Palace Hotel Ballroom Show finale? Battle of the Bands finale.

On it's own it's a fun movie with another awesome soundtrack. But there's no way it would ever be better than 1. You have to throw those expectations out the door to enjoy it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
They destroyed 104 cars in Blues Brothers. The sequel broke that by one... 105.

The record for most cars destroyed in a movie? I never would have guessed this. 532 in Transformers 3

May 8, 2018
I enjoyed it for what it is.

No one was going to replace John Belushi but John Goodman did a good job and had a good singing voice. The problem is is that it's SO close to the original formula that it can't get out of it's shadow.

Nazis? Russians.
Pentecostal Church? Tent Revival.
Aretha owns a restaurant? Now a car dealership.
Massive car wrecks? Massive car wrecks.
Save the orphanage? Bring along an orphan.
Palace Hotel Ballroom Show finale? Battle of the Bands finale.

On it's own it's a fun movie with another awesome soundtrack. But there's no way it would ever be better than 1. You have to throw those expectations out the door to enjoy it.

Exactly that why I feel while good it wasn't as good. I'd have loved the story to go out on it's own and be a lot more original. It started to go off that way a bit at the end with the battle of the bands but that was so little of it and toward the end. Also you're right You can't go into 2000 expecting it to live up to the because one everyone involved was older and Belushi was dead.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Say what you want about the sequel, but this makes it almost worthwhile alone:

Until Jonny Lang almost ruins it

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Carrie Fisher's great in this movie:

99fc543144f65ce60b87dfb36e85e7e9.gif

I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn't have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!