• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do "slow walking" segments need to go away?

• Yes, they are super annoying

Votes: 343 58.9%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 129 22.2%
  • No, they add to the experience

Votes: 110 18.9%

• Total voters

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind these at all. The game wants me to still feel like the character while laying down some story beats. It's seriously not a big deal.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. For some reason it's REALLY annoying to me when the character is injured and they make you crawl and listen to these weird grunts for like 10 minutes. But if you're walking through a "safe space" in the game like the intro of TLOU or the village in Uncharted 2 or something, I love it.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I respect that, like there are scenes where a character is telling you "oh I'm so sorry so and so died" and it would feel equally odd/weird if I was like running around jumping while they are conveying that. I feel like maybe just have you standing around a table or sitting down somewhere for that though rather than slow walking.

Agreed. I think sometimes what takes me out of it is when serious stuff is happening or a hot discussion is brewing, you and your character are just standing there idly too, like sit down or something lol.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If somehow "slow walking" incorporated with talking/conversations/banters/etc, then as might as well change it into full but short cut-scenes.

Rather than push/pressing forward & listening whatever...

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly it has never really bothered me.

Firstly I'm never in a rush when I'm playing so it's just not a big deal to me.

And usually stuff like that is going on when the situation is poignant or the game's trying to explain something important. I'd rather have that than running around all over the place while something serious is going on and I'm taken out of the moment lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It's always annoying to me just give me a loading screen or a cutscene. This obsession with immersion just ain't for me tho clearly

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
If it were skippable in replays and if there was an option to automatically walk along with the character it would be a lot better.

I know I just played a scene in Cyberpunk that involved a long car ride and it did give you the option to skip to the destination, so that sort of thing would be appreciated more often.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. I don't really know why, but it always seems like my time is being wasted. Generally, I like to be able to skip each line of dialogue with a button press (a weird tic, I dunno I'm a fast reader) so this just feels sooo slow to me.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
I really enjoyed things like this in RDR2. I feel that game, more than most, felt like a playable movie and that seemed to add to the experience. Some other games it definitely does not, but I really appreciated it in RDR2.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I love the exposition that occurs, but I don't care for the walking. Just make it a cutscene so that it is better framed for the exposition you are trying to achieve.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
honestly depends on the game. and how often its utilized and in what context.

i didnt mind it in rdr 2, it was reserved for big setpiece moments like walking up to a certain building, easily one of the most memorable moments of the game and without the walking speed being synced, it wouldnt have been nearly as cool. Plus in camp you are forced to slow walk so you dont miss out on interactions and people can catch up to you if they want something seamlessly. I liked that.

but then in ff7r it was getting obnoxious. A lot of the slow walking was just due to technical reasons, so they felt annoying like, "oh really, again?"
i'd haev taken a loading screen honestly.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's whatever at this point. I don't really like it but I've also accepted that some games are just gonna go for it regardless. If they're gonna keep doing it, I'd prefer it if they looked at games like Uncharted or TLOU because those games are among the few that actually manage to fill the slow walking sections with interesting stuff.

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I don't hate slow walking.

I DO hate when the player character walks at different speeds during slow walking sections so you have to constantly adjust your pace.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I like it personally. I don't like running round like a lunatic in moments where a scene needs to be serious. It all depends on the frequency on which it is used, and how it is used to me.

Agree.

I like it when it fits the tone of the game and scene.

Give me the tools to ruin an experience for myself and I often will. For instance, in scary games I often jump about like a lunatic because it relieves tension and makes the game feel silly.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't hate slow walking.

I DO hate when the player character walks at different speeds during slow walking sections so you have to constantly adjust your pace.

cyberpunk acutally ticks me off so much with this (i know, not 3rd person, but still)

so i noticed during a bunch of quests if u go behind the character you are meant to follow, you go at the same pace - nice
but for some reason, this feature isnt always available? it seems completely random, either its bugged or the devs just didnt have time to implement it in every quest. it's so jarring

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me. Sometimes in certain situations I like to try and not act like a video game character running around in all directions, if the game does that for me it is fine.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its really a non-issue. Back in the day it would be a cutscene anyways but at least now you feel a bit more immersed when you have some small amount of control.

I wonder if people who complain about this are the type to sprint circles around a walking NPC because their attention span is so limited they need to go go go all the time.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'm fine with them as intros but Uncharted 4 went too far with them imo.

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
cyberpunk acutally ticks me off so much with this (i know, not 3rd person, but still)

so i noticed during a bunch of quests if u go behind the character you are meant to follow, you go at the same pace - nice
but for some reason, this feature isnt always available? it seems completely random, either its bugged or the devs just didnt have time to implement it in every quest. it's so jarring

That kind of thing breaks the experience for me. I would think the NPC would turn around and ask me to calm the fuck down, ya know?

That's why I love games that at least include a follow button like Yakuza 0.

the_fastbuck

Oct 28, 2017
love them, and they will always wake my inner scorsese while i make sweeping camera moves with my left thumbstick.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly it has never really bothered me.

Firstly I'm never in a rush when I'm playing so it's just not a big deal to me.

And usually stuff like that is going on when the situation is poignant or the game's trying to explain something important. I'd rather have that than running around all over the place while something serious is going on and I'm taken out of the moment lol.
Absolutely, GoT has one of these early on and...it's a funeral. I think running and jumping at a funeral might be a little immersion breaking.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
It's crap. I understand that some games use it to mask loading and make it feel more immersive but I'd just rather have the loading screen, especially for future ports/versions of the games.

Basically all those games with forced walking segments used to mask loading will not benefit from the faster load times available on new hardware and so we are stuck with them unless they go back and severely alter the game.

Any game that just uses load screens now has shorter load screens and it's great.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Slow walking sucks. Doesn't matter if it's a FPS like Halo 3, or in something like Uncharted 4. Just... ugh.

Like just give me a cutscene or something or skippable dialogue so I can keep moving if the banter is so important.

Bullshit player agency where your basically pushing the stick forward to move at a snails pace so the player is "involved" and hearing dialogue is dumb.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
After like a decade of slow walking I'm pretty soured on it as a whole.

I like Ghost because you could control the pace of the walking sections and the box would follow at your speed.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Theyre both good and bad depending on what you want out of the game. They hurt replayability and break the pace a lot, but at the same time on a first playthrough they can be very immersive.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Eh, it varies but I'm not terribly bothered most of the time, and occasionally it even feels appropriate and I think nothing of it. Don't really feel it's something to be mega pissy about unless a game does it excessively and fails to find a way to be engaging during said segments.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have to run around the world all the time, but I wish some of them used a "press this button to let the game move your character" like Furi, which uses this to great effect. I think it's mostly annoying when it's extremely claustrophobic and long.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's fucking terrible.
Even if you like that sort of thing it completely ruins replayability. Just make it a skippable cutscene.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It depends entirely on whether the narrative and/or environment make it work. They're risky inclusions because few things make you want to drop a game faster than walking sections that don't work for you.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely hate hate HAAATEEE it.

From recent memory a good offender is Days Gone for me. Awesome game, but the slow (and I mean SLOW!) "follow me" parts almost make me want to throw my controller through my fucking TV so much I hate them.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this was the worst in god of war. fuck that shit. and it had different degrees with which it removed player agency. just an infuriating trend where sometimes you can do x, y, z and sometimes only x, y and sometimes only x. there were instances where all you could do was push the left stick forward to move and maybe change the camera and they want it to feel all epic like you're overcoming some huge hurdle except as the player I'm literally as disconnected with what's going on onscreen as I could possibly be because of those choices. the irony is that this typically happens in games that want to be all immersive except the result is jolting you right out of the experience.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
The thing I hate more is

1. <cutscene>
2. Move character short distance
3. <cutscene>

There's quite a lot of this in Days Gone and I find it really bothers me. It's in lots of other games as well though.
This is it for me, it's worse than the slow walking for sure, I hated the first few missions in DMC5 for this exact same reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely hate hate HAAATEEE it.

From recent memory a good offender is Days Gone for me. Awesome game, but the slow (and I mean SLOW!) "follow me" parts almost make me want to throw my controller through my fucking TV so much I hate them.
Yea it pissed me off even more here just because like days gone open world...what u even doing this for