• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought a new 2DS XL today. Last time I played with homebrew I bought a 2DS to do it with, looked into updating everything yesterday and decided the screens are too damn small. I use an old 3DS XL as my primary console and don't want to fuck that up, too many digital purchases.
Target was out of microsd cards so I'm borrowing my switch card since I can live without the two games on it until a replacement arrives from amazon. Excited to check out some of the new developments from last time I played around. I don't think booting NDS off SD was even possible back then, would love to check that out. I have a few piles of DS cards to dump, my acekard 2i died a while back.

Seems to be relatively straightforward and supports the latest firmware version lol

I think this is my 3rd copy of MK7 now. Surprised by the inclusion of an AC adapter in the box, N3DS didn't get that iirc

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The circle pad on my wife's 3DSXL just broke and while it seems simple enough to fix, I'm actually thinking of buying her a new 2DSXL, but I'd like to get her the snazzy Animal Crossing model which is UK and Japan exclusive. Is there any way for me to change the region of the console and have it stick permanently without having to boot into a home brew menu or something every time? I'd like to make this as seamless as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
The circle pad on my wife's 3DSXL just broke and while it seems simple enough to fix, I'm actually thinking of buying her a new 2DSXL, but I'd like to get her the snazzy Animal Crossing model which is UK and Japan exclusive. Is there any way for me to change the region of the console and have it stick permanently without having to boot into a home brew menu or something every time? I'd like to make this as seamless as possible.
If you install Luma you don't need to worry about region changing at all. If you want/need you can specify a region to a specific game through a txt file in your 3DS microSD.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yep. You'll lose nothing.
Cool, I'll see what it involves.
Proceed carefully. I'm not an expert on out of region systems and CFW, but Badge Arcade progress needs to be transferred into a new system, and you can only do a standard 3DS transfer with a system from the same region. I don't think Luma can fake this sort of thing. Look further into it before going ahead with your purchase if this particular detail is important.

Oct 25, 2017
Proceed carefully. I'm not an expert on out of region systems and CFW, but Badge Arcade progress needs to be transferred into a new system, and you can only do a standard 3DS transfer with a system from the same region. I don't think Luma can fake this sort of thing. Look further into it before going ahead with your purchase if this particular detail is important.
Ah yes, system transfer between regions won't work, unless you like wizardry. Should've specified I meant eShop access and any other online functionalities will not be lost by using Luma. What the poster can do is region change the newly bought 3DS to the same region as the current 3DS they have before anything else, though eShop access may be a gamble in this case.

This stuff is out of my depth though.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Maybe I should just pick up a US 2DSXL and the Animal Crossing unit and try to swap the shells on them. That seems like such an expensive venture though. Sigh.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Hi huys its been a while since i setup my 3DS. How do i add a new core to retroarch again? Somehow i removed my old homebrews.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Is this easy to do? I'm tempted to do it or buy an already hacked 3DS.
You just need a 3DS updated to current firmware and a digital DSiware game, the guide lists the compatible ones.
Or if the target 3DS has an even older firmware you could use other methods. When I did mine I used soundhax.

Anyways, spare a second and read the guide. The method for current firmware is seedminer. I prefer it to ntrboot because I don't wanna buy a flashcart.

3ds hacks guide.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
So I just updated to 10.11.0-43 and now Ninjhax won't work and I can't play my non US region games. Anyone know how to get it going again?

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect that I didn't have to go hunting for this thread.
I booted up my 3DSXL after months? year? (been kinda busy) and its asking for a FW update.

Short of it: I don't remember what to do, what I previously did.
Long of it: I hardly use the CFW perks and did this mostly to future proof myself in-case something cool came up and I wouldn't be able to mod on that FW. Years ago I used soundhack? and had to hold a button on start-up to load different .cia. Then I updated to have CFW (pre 3ds.guide). I think sometime last year I used 3ds.guide to bring myself to the then current state. But as I said, I hardly use the thing and don't remember whether I need to do anything prior to updating the (C)FW.
If someone points me to a guide or knows what I should look for to determine what to do that would be helpful.

This is like the fifth time I've had to spend more time researching what to do/how to update than if I were starting from nothing. I really need to write myself a note.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Perfect that I didn't have to go hunting for this thread.
I booted up my 3DSXL after months? year? (been kinda busy) and its asking for a FW update.

Short of it: I don't remember what to do, what I previously did.
Long of it: I hardly use the CFW perks and did this mostly to future proof myself in-case something cool came up and I wouldn't be able to mod on that FW. Years ago I used soundhack? and had to hold a button on start-up to load different .cia. Then I updated to have CFW (pre 3ds.guide). I think sometime last year I used 3ds.guide to bring myself to the then current state. But as I said, I hardly use the thing and don't remember whether I need to do anything prior to updating the (C)FW.
If someone points me to a guide or knows what I should look for to determine what to do that would be helpful.

This is like the fifth time I've had to spend more time researching what to do/how to update than if I were starting from nothing. I really need to write myself a note.

If you have Luma installed, all you need to make sure that it's the latest version. If it is, you can update the system normally and Luma will take care of not letting the CFW be rewritten.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
What's wrong with it in your opinion?
From the filters avaliable I tried two on my old3Ds while playing Order of Ecclesia:
Sono's Crisp (Tweaked): Removed the blurriness of the screen and made the game's sprite look sharper but it distorts the text and art like portraits just a little bit.
Zero Interpolation: made the sprites look really good in my opinion but the 2D art of portraits gets really bad.

I am in no way an expert and the old3ds screen is quite small so you might have better results with Sono's Crisp on XL models.
I think this is really nice and I am happy to have tested it, I'll keep using Sono's Crisp since it removes the original blurry effect DS games have while also following the development of this patch since I believe it can look better.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'd like to mod a 3DS solely to apply translation patches to some physical Japanese games I already own. What do I need to do? A lot of this discussion is light years beyond me (the last time I "modded" a console was when I ripped the plastic tabs out of my SNES). I have a US and a Japanese original model 3DS. Would it be easier to mod one over the other? Or should I buy a new 2DS for modding?

Jun 2, 2019
Oh hey didn't know there was a thread about this.

Quick question: If I mod my N3DS not for piracy, but for using features like the N3DS mode on o3DS games and merely for homebrew like Retroarch and ctrQuake, am I in risk for a ban?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey didn't know there was a thread about this.

Quick question: If I mod my N3DS not for piracy, but for using features like the N3DS mode on o3DS games and merely for homebrew like Retroarch and ctrQuake, am I in risk for a ban?
I don't think anybody gets banned nowadays. Keep all the Nintendo tracking (for when using VC/inject games) off and your recent activity private if you want to be extra safe.
I'd like to mod a 3DS solely to apply translation patches to some physical Japanese games I already own. What do I need to do? A lot of this discussion is light years beyond me (the last time I "modded" a console was when I ripped the plastic tabs out of my SNES). I have a US and a Japanese original model 3DS. Would it be easier to mod one over the other? Or should I buy a new 2DS for modding?
Just follow the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, I've searched around but can't find anything online for my specific problem. I'm getting an error when launching two specific games from their cartridges.

It says "An exception occurred. Processor: Arm 9 Exception Type: prefetch abort (svcbreak)"

Before I go into details I'll list what I have and what I have done so far.

• Japanese Original 3DS
  • Brand new 32GB SD card
  • Hacked from software 10.0
  • Transferred profile to a European 3DS which updated to 11.5
  • Updated to 11.11.0-43E
Now, I've had no problems turning my 3DS on like I've seen some people have. I've also had no problems launching almost every game I've tried so far. Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2, Dragon Quest VII, Monster Hunter 3 and Pokemon Y all launch and work. Monster Hunter and Pokemon I have been able to launch from the cartridge and from the CIA files. The others I don't have my cartridges to hand at this moment and I've only tried the CIA files, but as I said they are fine.

I should also note that my Monster Hunter 3 and Pokemon Y cartridges are both US cartridges.

The exception is occurring when trying to launch Pokemon Moon and Monster Hunter Generations from their cartridges. They are both EU games. I've tried everything I can think of to get them working to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might fix the issue?

Oct 25, 2017
This is a few weeks old but I figured it was worthy bringing up for whoever has not heard of it:

Allows you to install a CIA straight from your computer, instead of having to go through FBI (either copying the files via USB or wifi/FTP/boop), making the process faster and eliminating the need of having 2 times the free space required. Also allows for batch installing (useful for installing a bunch of injects quickly).
Both required files are quickly dumpable via GodMode9.
And if you aren't used to command line interfaces, in the thread's last page there's a working GUI fork.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a few weeks old but I figured it was worthy bringing up for whoever has not heard of it:

Allows you to install a CIA straight from your computer, instead of having to go through FBI (either copying the files via USB or wifi/FTP/boop), making the process faster and eliminating the need of having 2 times the free space required. Also allows for batch installing (useful for installing a bunch of injects quickly).
Both required files are quickly dumpable via GodMode9.
And if you aren't used to command line interfaces, in the thread's last page there's a working GUI fork.
This is super useful, thanks for sharing.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody gets banned nowadays. Keep all the Nintendo tracking (for when using VC/inject games) off and your recent activity private if you want to be extra safe.
Hi, sorry for responding to a super old post. I just started looking into CFW so that I can install the Project Restoration mod for MM3D, and I'm trying to find some definitive answers on whether or not you can safely go online with CFW installed. I just want to retain access to the eshop and game updates. I'm curious as to what you mean by "Keep all the Nintendo tracking (for when using VC/inject games) off," and I'm wondering what steps, if any, that I need to take to be safe. I read the main page and FAQ on 3ds.hacks.guide, and unfortunately, I don't think it really addressed my concerns.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, sorry for responding to a super old post. I just started looking into CFW so that I can install the Project Restoration mod for MM3D, and I'm trying to find some definitive answers on whether or not you can safely go online with CFW installed. I just want to retain access to the eshop and game updates. I'm curious as to what you mean by "Keep all the Nintendo tracking (for when using VC/inject games) off," and I'm wondering what steps, if any, that I need to take to be safe. I read the main page and FAQ on 3ds.hacks.guide, and unfortunately, I don't think it really addressed my concerns.
Access to online features should work as usual (I accessed the eShop a couple days ago and played online some months ago); what I meant is that some games like Ultimate NES Remix and Virtual Console titles ask you if to send telemetry to Nintendo; turn it down. On the first page of the guide there should be a box telling about turning off a couple of system settings too.

But also lemme reiterate that after the banwave in 2017 I don't remember seeing anybody with CFW getting banned :)
(Well, obviously, don't use cheats when playing online either)

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Access to online features should work as usual (I accessed the eShop a couple days ago and played online some months ago); what I meant is that some games like Ultimate NES Remix and Virtual Console titles ask you if to send telemetry to Nintendo; turn it down. On the first page of the guide there should be a box telling about turning off a couple of system settings too.

But also lemme reiterate that after the banwave in 2017 I don't remember seeing anybody with CFW getting banned :)
(Well, obviously, don't use cheats when playing online either)
Awesome, thank you for the assurance. Can't wait to give this a whirl.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

First, some context. I have a U.S. regular-sized n3DS (black model) that's been hacked for years (for legitimate purposes only, didn't get zapped by the Great Ban Waves of 2017), which is my main 3DS and linked to my ancient U.S. NNID, the same one I use on Wii (hacked), Wii U (hacked), and Switch. It is running the newest official U.S. firmware, and the most recent versions of Luma3DS, boot9strap, GodMode9, FBI, and a few other homebrew apps I use.

I'm hardly a novice at console hacking, have a good grasp of the processes involved, and have no issues keeping everything up-to-date and working swimmingly.
But with the 3DS finally winding down, I started looking into importing new and sealed 3DS games from Japan that either currently have or are likely to have fan translations at some point. I'm perhaps unreasonably optimistic about some of these.

I have imported two of the JP-only Phoenix Wright spin-offs (The Great Ace Attorney and its sequel), and a bunch of a Dragon Quest games (Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Joker, DQM3: Joker Professional, Rocket Slime 3DS, Dragon Quest Monsters 1 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3D, and Theatrhythm Dragon Quest). [Side-note: Fuck Sugiyama].

I've dumped all of the games using GodMode9 into both trimmed .CIA files and trimmed, decrypted .3DS files. I haven't tried installing or playing any, but it's my understanding that some translation patches except the former or latter files, so I'm just covering my bases in advance. For my own U.S. ROM dumps, I've always used trimmed .CIAs installed via FBI, but I understand that there are more hoops to jump through when you throw fan translations into the mix.

Here's my issue, though. How do I go about installing the most recent game updates? For example, I can plop my DQM3: Joker Pro cart into the game card slot on my 3DS, after a second or two, I get a prompt to update the game, and if I hit Y, it appears to complete, but a second later, I get another prompt to update my game again. If I try to go for the optional eShop game update download method, there I actually see what's really happening. I get an error message that a quick Google search tells me is due to the update files not being found on the eShop servers.

Makes sense. There's no reason for Nintendo to store updates for games never released in the U.S. And it's my understanding that if I create a JP NNID, I'd have to completely erase and format my 3DS. So that's not a solution.

So how do I go about updating these games, and in the case of a game like Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, legitimately purchasing any available DLC before the 3DS eShop is taken offline? I'm not interested in any solutions involving piracy. I imported brand new, factory sealed copies of these games, and would like to update them and buy any relevant available DLC legitimately, if possible. IS it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

First, some context. I have a U.S. regular-sized n3DS (black model) that's been hacked for years (for legitimate purposes only, didn't get zapped by the Great Ban Waves of 2017), which is my main 3DS and linked to my ancient U.S. NNID, the same one I use on Wii (hacked), Wii U (hacked), and Switch. It is running the newest official U.S. firmware, and the most recent versions of Luma3DS, boot9strap, GodMode9, FBI, and a few other homebrew apps I use.

I'm hardly a novice at console hacking, have a good grasp of the processes involved, and have no issues keeping everything up-to-date and working swimmingly.
But with the 3DS finally winding down, I started looking into importing new and sealed 3DS games from Japan that either currently have or are likely to have fan translations at some point. I'm perhaps unreasonably optimistic about some of these.

I have imported two of the JP-only Phoenix Wright spin-offs (The Great Ace Attorney and its sequel), and a bunch of a Dragon Quest games (Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Joker, DQM3: Joker Professional, Rocket Slime 3DS, Dragon Quest Monsters 1 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3D, and Theatrhythm Dragon Quest). [Side-note: Fuck Sugiyama].

I've dumped all of the games using GodMode9 into both trimmed .CIA files and trimmed, decrypted .3DS files. I haven't tried installing or playing any, but it's my understanding that some translation patches except the former or latter files, so I'm just covering my bases in advance. For my own U.S. ROM dumps, I've always used trimmed .CIAs installed via FBI, but I understand that there are more hoops to jump through when you throw fan translations into the mix.

Here's my issue, though. How do I go about installing the most recent game updates? For example, I can plop my DQM3: Joker Pro cart into the game card slot on my 3DS, after a second or two, I get a prompt to update the game, and if I hit Y, it appears to complete, but a second later, I get another prompt to update my game again. If I try to go for the optional eShop game update download method, there I actually see what's really happening. I get an error message that a quick Google search tells me is due to the update files not being found on the eShop servers.

Makes sense. There's no reason for Nintendo to store updates for games never released in the U.S. And it's my understanding that if I create a JP NNID, I'd have to completely erase and format my 3DS. So that's not a solution.

So how do I go about updating these games, and in the case of a game like Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, legitimately purchasing any available DLC before the 3DS eShop is taken offline? I'm not interested in any solutions involving piracy. I imported brand new, factory sealed copies of these games, and would like to update them and buy any relevant available DLC legitimately, if possible. IS it even possible?

Thanks in advance!
I'm afraid you are out of luck :\ I reckon the only way would be region changing your 3DS, then downloading the DLCs and the updates from the eShop, but unfortunately
Region changed New 3DSs that have already accessed the eShop on their original region cannot create a new NNID and access the eShop on their new region!
Without resorting to importing a Japanese 3DS, maybe you could buy a 2DS for cheap, region change it, download the DLCs and the updates, dump them and then install them on your main unit.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the reply. Importing a JP 3DS and hacking it?
If that's what I have to do...
I guess I better look up prices...

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this game existed! I love Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

I know! And it kind of hurts that the second Theatrhythm FF (Curtain Call) has a shit-ton of DLC that not only adds music from even more mainline, numbered FFs (up to and including vanilla XIV, IIRC), but also includes music from FF Fables - Chocobo's Tale, FF Crystal Chronicles, FF Tactics, and the following franchises: SaGa, Chrono Trigger, Mana, Live-a-Live, Nier, TWEWY, and Bravely Default. Just about every major (and some not-so-major) Square franchises around. But not a single song from any DQ. They saved those for their own game which was never localized. :(

I think Theatrhythm DQ comes with like 65 songs by default. Not sure how many more as DLC. Guessing it spans pretty much every DQ from I-X and probably some spin-offs.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Without resorting to importing a Japanese 3DS, maybe you could buy a 2DS for cheap, region change it, download the DLCs and the updates, dump them and then install them on your main unit.

How easy is it to create a valid Japanese NNID and load it up with a points card?
Heck, could I just use the Japanese NNID profile I created on my Switch to access the NSO Famicom and Super Famicom apps?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I think Theatrhythm DQ comes with like 65 songs by default. Not sure how many more as DLC. Guessing it spans pretty much every DQ from I-X and probably some spin-offs.
It has 89 songs total.
For updates your best bet would be to just download the relevant CIA (not game. actual update).

Oct 27, 2017
How easy is it to create a valid Japanese NNID and load it up with a points card?
Heck, could I just use the Japanese NNID profile I created on my Switch to access the NSO Famicom and Super Famicom apps?
I haven't done this on 3DS myself, but I believe you can easily use your American credit card on the Japanese eShop (I used my CC on Japanese Wii Shop back in the Wii days). Or you could buy eShop cards from PlayAsia.
As for the NNID, I don't know - remember Switch and 3DS actually use two different ID systems (3DS and Wii U NNID, Switch Nintendo Account - although you can link the two).

Have you looked at the region changing guide? Before importing a hardware from Japan, you should definitely consider just region changing an Old 2DS (which doesn't come with New 3DS limitations).

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't done this on 3DS myself, but I believe you can easily use your American credit card on the Japanese eShop (I used my CC on Japanese Wii Shop back in the Wii days). Or you could buy eShop cards from PlayAsia.
As for the NNID, I don't know - remember Switch and 3DS actually use two different ID systems (3DS and Wii U NNID, Switch Nintendo Account - although you can link the two).

Have you looked at the region changing guide? Before importing a hardware from Japan, you should definitely consider just region changing an Old 2DS (which doesn't come with New 3DS limitations).

Guess I'll find out. Thanks!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I can confirm that you can use American Credit/Debit cards on the JP 3DS eShop. That's actually how I import games digitally on Switch - since the wallets are shared, I add funds on my 3DS to circumvent the region lock for cards on Switch.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm that you can use American Credit/Debit cards on the JP 3DS eShop. That's actually how I import games digitally on Switch - since the wallets are shared, I add funds on my 3DS to circumvent the region lock for cards on Switch.

Do you know if American point cards will work to add funds on to a JP 3DS? I don't keep my CC info linked to my Nintendo, PSN, or XBL accounts; preferring to buy auto-delivered points cards on Amazon instead. I'll make an exception if I have to, of course.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just want to double check, but it's been a while since I've used my 3DS (mainly use it for fan translations and ACNL). Recently I was playing and was unable to use online services with my 3DS for ACNL (wasn't an issue a few months back). Says I need to do a system update. Do I need to first update Luma, b9s, and all the rest before doing the official system update? Don't want to brick it, especially when I just want to play ACNL with a friend.

went ahead and just updated Luma to 10.0.1 (ish) and then did the system update. Everything seems okay.

Last edited: