• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
After trying to do some home repair to my 3ds and failing, I was looking online to replace it. Wow! These things have shot up in price. I'm not sure if I should try to buy one now at the price their at, or wait for hype to die down. I should've learned with the Vita.

Anyone got any hot 3ds buying tips?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
After trying to do some home repair to my 3ds and failing, I was looking online to replace it. Wow! These things have shot up in price. I'm not sure if I should try to buy one now at the price their at, or wait for hype to die down. I should've learned with the Vita.

Anyone got any hot 3ds buying tips?
I used to see a lot thrift shops. Also Facebook Marketplace.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I keep hoping the prices will go down eventually so I can buy a few more for multiplayer games (I have 2 DSes and 2 DS Lites that I got for free/cheap from friends, great for stuff like 10 player games of Tetris DS or 8 player games of Bomberman DS)

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Seen this happen for a while now. You can't really find those dirt cheap OG 2DS models anymore, and soon New 2DS XL will start going up too.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I don't think 3DS prices will go down much anytime soon, so if you find one within a price you're willing to pay you may as well get it. There isn't much hype behind the system, just that its the last of its kind, so that makes it more valuable.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Those prices are definitely on the high side, those 3ds bundles on Amazon are ridiculous! They're at or higher than the switch/switch lite.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I got my new 3ds (regular) late last year for $100, the prices aren't too bad if you look.
The faceplates for the new 3ds however, are now ridiculously priced lmao. I wanted the Fire Emblem Fates ones and they go for $120+, more than I got the system for!

OP
OP
Heart of Poumn
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like I'm being scammed on eBay. They also seem to hade user feedback. Made me think the product rating was the user rating.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's why I grabbed a new 2ds xl to replace\supplement my og 2ds this spring, didn't want to miss my chance to upgrade

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I got my new 3ds (regular) late last year for $100, the prices aren't too bad if you look.
The faceplates for the new 3ds however, are now ridiculously priced lmao. I wanted the Fire Emblem Fates ones and they go for $120+, more than I got the system for!

I have the Kirby faceplates, and looks like someone bought a used set for $65 on eBay last month. Hot damn.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd say ~$100 CAD is the floor for even used ones, really. I can't see anything other than consoles in rough shape going for less. The games will probably take forever to be ported if ever, you have full availability of the original DS library as well, it's just a very convenient console to have even if obsolete.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at the price of the New 3DS XL Pikachu edition and it's going for ~$400 sealed. I have one sitting on my shelf right now. Also looked at prices of sealed DSi XLs and those go for ~$250; also have one sitting around. Didn't think it had climbed that high.

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, meant to get a refurbished OG 2DS from the Nintendo Store for $50 but never pulled the trigger. Don't think they stock them any more.

Apr 19, 2018
Yes, meant to get a refurbished OG 2DS from the Nintendo Store for $50 but never pulled the trigger. Don't think they stock them any more.

Doesn't appear so. =/ I'm really glad I picked up my refurb N2DS XL at this time last year:

www.resetera.com

Would you recommend buying a New 2DS XL refurbished from Nintendo?

I know that Nintendo, at least from a few years ago, has had an excellent reputation in regards to the quality of their refurbished consoles. I bought a WiiU from them back in 2015 and found it in immaculate shape, for instance, but I'm wondering how their refurbished output extends to their...

Last edited:

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the faceplate prices are insane. Only ones I ever bough was one of the Animal Crossing ones and the Monster Hunter 4 one for about $20 each. There's some really awesome ones like the Majora's Mask plate but I ain't paying 80$ for that!

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This thread made me check prices and yea im surprised by them. I actually had a really rare news faceplate that got accidentally thrown in the trash. This is making me want to sell my Red/Blue Pokemon n3ds.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I got my 3ds xl at Book Off in NYC 47th street & 6th ave not sure of the exact street, for $150 and it was in great condition. This was 2 years ago. Definitely look at your local thrift shops/fb marketplace. I'm skeptical purchasing on ebay and I hate dealing with bids. Fuck that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say ~$100 CAD is the floor for even used ones, really. I can't see anything other than consoles in rough shape going for less. The games will probably take forever to be ported if ever, you have full availability of the original DS library as well, it's just a very convenient console to have even if obsolete.

It's incredible value really, and now that the supply of new systems has dried up the price of preowned systems will reflect that.

Also some of the system stock is already out of the picture. Gotta imagine there are a lot of OG 3DS systems and some of the newer ones too with broken hinges and other damage.