• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Thought the game looked good but fuck supporting 3DR after what happened with ion fury. Spineless cowards that validated the worst of the gaming community.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Anything similar to Hexen or Heretic will be a day 1 buy for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly kind of getting sick of 3DR's shtick. Like, in general, the broad appeal to 'old school shooter' is starting to get to that place where it's feeling soulless and more-or-less like an excuse to use crappy technology and / or dated mechanisms to produce low-cost and relatively low-effort cash-ins on nostalgia. I get it: old shooters are fun. But these games are 30, 40 bucks, and they're not doing much else other than plagiarizing their betters. The best among them, arguably, IS Ion Maiden, and it's a good game in spite of itself, but even with its somewhat admirable articulation of competent design via a stone-age piece of technology, this shit is sort of wearing thin: you can't make an appeal on quality just because you've decided to go back to having key-cards that open doors. There *is* a reason Half-Life revolutionized these kinds of games, and the more we see 3DR 'produce' these titles, the more I'm thinking they're losing their way. This is, to say nothing of that business with Ion Maiden / Fury that somehow saw 3DR pulled between left and right in the space in a day or two.

Also, 3DR *probably* is barely paying these devs they work with. Probably peanuts, and then promising they own the IP in exchange for the 'exposure' of having the 3D Realms name swaddling their game (can you imagine in the lead-up to releasing Duke Nukem Forever having a 3D Realms logo appearing before you game being some kind of boon?). 3DR on the other hands makes a reasonable killing since they get to release N games in early access on Steam from M teams and soak in the sales of unfinished content. In the case of IM's dev, I guess I couldn't give two fucks, but assuming Slipgate or KillPixel or any of the other developers aren't toxic fuckfaces (a difficult assumption to make, honestly, considering the company they keep), it's hard to imagine they aren't being taken advantage of even if they are producing stuff that's looking less and less considered.

I dunno. I'm kind of done being on this train. This game looks fine, I guess, sure, but as someone else said the fact that there's a single class means they're just cashing in on Hexen without knowing much about it (oh ho ho! nearest neighbor filtering doth an old-school game maketh y'all. Drop that internal resolution buffer and nail that CRISP low resolution look. Anyone got some weird PS1 aliasing shader I can pop on this bad boy!?).

And of course, to actually *say* something about the 'fans' 3DR has acquired: I hope they're happy with what they got! They appealed to an incredibly abusive fanbase out of fear of 'bending the knee' to libtards, or whatever they want to call us, but in the end they are almost certainly just dogged by the same weirdos on their discords taking shots at trans people. Actually, they have probably moved on to black people, given the times. They chose to surround themselves with a cancer of assholes who are living in the past. I fail to understand why Era feels like giving their games a platform at all, considering the immense, measurably damage 3DR and their working companies have done to trans people.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Trailer description: Platforms: Pc, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch nd title only mentions PC and Switch.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Well it's being made by Slipgate Ironworks. Not sure if they've gotten up to anything untoward. 3DRealms is the publisher.
See my most recent reply. They are basically the dev side of 3DR.

In regards to Dark1X, I'm going to drop it but do know I think it is important that people know where he stands with this shit if his Digital Foundry videos keep getting linked here. At best he is choosing to overlook bigotry which is an awful look for him but whatever.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
3D Realms are really bringing awesome games to the battlefield. Day one!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Creates a thread to specifically address the controversial devs 3DR has chosen to showcase here - https://www.resetera.com/threads/bigoted-devs-part-of-3d-realms'-realms-deep-show.281351/.

And for those that don't know Slipgate Studios was founded by the VP of 3DR. So this game isn't just being published but essentially co-developed by them.
Feel like any thread regarding 3D Realms should be forced to have a link to that thread in the OP.
Dark1X claiming to be ignorant and apologizing for propping up 3DR in the DF Ion Fury thread is now out there supporting 3DR again. No more benefit of the doubt from me. Choosing to sweep shitty behavior under the rug because you like retro shooters is not okay. 😔

Why not just bring it up to him on Twitter instead of posting this here?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Why not just bring it up to him on Twitter instead of posting this here?
What's the point? He's now choosing to support 3DR in spite of knowing about the bigotry. He claimed ignorance to the bigotry in the Ion Maiden console performance thread and everyone here gave him the benefit of the doubt. I just wanted to raise it so people would know when they watch his DF videos. He's choosing to be shitty.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Imagine wanting old looking shit so bad you're willing to give multiple bigots multiple passes. I'd rather just boot up the old games again.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Wait what is the story with 3D Realms :(

Also anyone had an iota of doubt about Linneman lol - he pulled an attacked Karen with IF, he never gave a damn about the politics of it all.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game is apparently coming to everything, not just switch and PC as the title mentions. the title should probably be changed.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why yes I have, and I'm glad someone made a thread to discuss the issues.
This topic is about the game though, and typically if the game itself does not include the bigoted views, I still consider a potential purchase of the product.

I skipped out on Iron Fury / Maiden because the product itself had offensive material, and I'll wait to see if there's any material that I find objectionable.

Jan 21, 2019
I wonder why. With the medieval/chivalry sim subgenre it's pretty obvious (return to ye olden dayes) but it's less obvious to me why the retro FPS scene is unfortunately a haven for that type.
Isn't it obvious, these games were made in days were gaming was pure in their eyes. "No politics", no diversity, no minority, just an exclusive club for boys and their toys.

It's a shame the dev chose to associate itself with these people. I love the look of this game but I'm not supporting them.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We need a moderator to add a note about what 3D Realms and their developers are doing.

Also shame on everyone that reads the notes on their track record and still posts about how good this looks and wishlisted it.

Wait what is the story with 3D Realms :(

Also anyone had an iota of doubt about Linneman lol - he pulled an attacked Karen with IF, he never gave a damn about the politics of it all.

This thread made me pissed off at Linneman again. I need to know what everyone else at DF thinks of this.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why yes I have, and I'm glad someone made a thread to discuss the issues.
This topic is about the game though, and typically if the game itself does not include the bigoted views, I still consider a potential purchase of the product.

I skipped out on Iron Fury / Maiden because the product itself had offensive material, and I'll wait to see if there's any material that I find objectionable.

Is usually how I look at things, I look at the art and not the people behind the art, because virtually everything we have for the past thousands of years would suddenly be burned for their many unsavory views.

I do not believe in cancel culture, I believe in rewarding good behaviour.

Make a game that is offending in nature i.e. homophobic or whatever then yeah I can see why people would boycott that, however if they make a game that has none of that then I don't see the issue of buying said game.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory accusation
Is usually how I look at things, I look at the art and not the people behind the art, because virtually everything we have for the past thousands of years would suddenly be burned for their many unsavory views.

Make a game that is offending in nature i.e. homophobic or whatever then yeah I can see why people would boycott that, however if they make a game that has none of that then I don't see the issue of buying said game.

You are supporting bigotry, thanks dude!

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks, expressed it better than I could. I see no reason to skip a good game without problematic content becuase someone on the dev team is shitty, I wouldn't be able to consume any product from any industry ever again if I did that.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are supporting bigotry, thanks dude!

If you want people to change in a positive light, then you have to reward good behaviour, deny them when they behave bad etc. Children, adults, doesn't matter I've worked with both and it's not that much different ¬_¬.

If they do bad, don't buy the product, if the product contains none of what they may think inside their head, then I will happily buy the product.

Seperate the art, from the artist.

Isn't it better tp promote someone to change positively?

Joshy

Chicken Chaser
Jan 24, 2018
England

Couldn't agree more with this statement, if the game itself doesn't contain the offending material, I don't take issue with buying the game. I am a firm believer in separating the art from the artist, and as far as the game looks, it looks pretty good so far, it's on my Steam wishlist.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
If they do bad, don't buy the product, if the product contains none of what they may think inside their head, then I will happily buy the product.

Let's take someone like Doug TenNapel. A lot of his work that I liked in the past wasn't homophobic, racist, or transphobic. How would me supporting his work in spite of his repugnant views do anything to get him to reflect on the harmfulness of his beliefs? I don't follow your logic.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Bigotry and Attacking the Community Over Multiple Posts; Prior Bans for the Same
Let's take someone like Doug TenNapel. A lot of his work that I liked in the past wasn't homophobic, racist, or transphobic. How would me supporting his work in spite of his repugnant views do anything to get him to reflect on the harmfulness of his beliefs? I don't follow your logic.

So his work is homophobic, racist, transphobic now?

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
We need a moderator to add a note about what 3D Realms and their developers are doing.

Also shame on everyone that reads the notes on their track record and still posts about how good this looks and wishlisted it.

I don't think you're getting what you want. The "Separate the art from the artist" crowd is already here in full force.

Doesn't matter that the publisher works with and openly promotes devs who spout racist/sexist/bigoted views, this one particular developer working with them hasn't yet so it's OK.

We go through this same song and dance every time. THQN ran an AMA on a pedophile website but no one cared because the games they published had none of that.

That's going to be the same here.

Last edited:

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
This just doesn't look great, like it's trying to be 90's 3D but not really.

Also as much as I love this resurgence, it feels like I hear about a new retro FPS every other day. Why not go for a retro TPS instead? Something like MDK or Max Payne?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
So his work is homophobic, racist, transphobic now?
If it wasn't, how would ignoring his beliefs and supporting his work regardless "promote [him] to change positively"? Ignoring it because a creator doesn't explicitly broadcast their beliefs in all of their work does nothing to challenge those harmful beliefs. Only boycotting all of their work--regardless of how sanitized it is--would actually lead to economic harm as a consequence of those beliefs. Taking issue with a bigot showcasing their bigotry in their work, but not taking issue with the bigot's views themselves independent of their work, makes no sense to me.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't, how would ignoring his beliefs and supporting his work regardless "promote [him] to change positively"? Ignoring it because a creator doesn't explicitly broadcast their beliefs in all of their work does nothing to challenge those harmful beliefs. Only boycotting all of their work--regardless how sanitized or family-friendly it is--because of those beliefs would. Taking issue with a bigot showcasing their bigotry in their work, but not taking issue with the bigot's views themselves independent of their work, makes no sense to me.

Also I was refering to a entire team rather than a single person.

For singular artists that lived hundreds or thousands of years ago, can't really change them as they're already dead.

If it's just a single person who's a biggot, then that's a different issue.

However, let's take a example that a singular person who's a biggot but none of his work contains said views.

Society changes based on what they consume, from Radio, TV, games. If the work doesn't contain the problems then it's not damaging to society, or promoting hatred/racism or whatever it is they do. BBC is high on promoting racial diversity in their TV shows, which is important for people that want to identify with someone.

If the person however is a biggot on Social Media etc then feel free to drop them a comment saying why and what you disagree with, then if they continue block them.

People like to think in black and white views, but it's never that simple.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
User warned (3-day threadban): inflammatory point of comparison, derailing
If you want people to change in a positive light, then you have to reward good behaviour, deny them when they behave bad etc. Children, adults, doesn't matter I've worked with both and it's not that much different ¬_¬.

Using that line of thought, I want to ask you a question:
Would you be fine buying a videogame that is 100% socially acceptable if it was developed by Adolf Hitler? Assuming he was still alive today and having the same exact role in life as he had during the WWII days.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you be fine buying a videogame that is 100% socially acceptable if it was developed by Adolf Hitler? Assuming he was still alive today and having the same exact role in life as he had during the WWII days.

fml

Let's not compare some people with biggoted views with genocidal murderers...

Their is nuance to many things, but let's not get ridiculous.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Society changes based on what they consume, from Radio, TV, games. If the work doesn't contain the problems then it's not damaging to society, or promoting hatred/racism or whatever it is they do. BBC is high on promoting racial diversity in their TV shows, which is important for people that want to identify with someone.

Harry Potter does not (on it's surface) espouse the kind of views that JK Rowling does on a daily basis, but the success of that franchise and the wealth it brought her put in into a position of influence that allows her to spread those views that are "damaging to society" pretty widely.

You don't reward people who hold shitty views because they chose not to be shitty that one time. That really should be the default you expect out of someone.

It's unfortunate that these devs have tied themselves to a publisher who openly works with racists and bigots, but the argument that "well this dev hasn't done any of that so why should we punish them" is exactly how 3DRealms will continue to get out of this unscathed, because they know at the end of the day people will choose their own personal enjoyment of a product over any sort of collective stand against them.

Invoking godwin's law isn't going to help the discussion. It's only going to draw "these people aren't as bad as hitler" arguments.

Fake edit: right on cue.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Invoking godwin's law isn't going to help the discussion. It's only going to draw "these people aren't as bad as hitler" arguments.

Well, they arn't as bad as hitler because life isn't fucking black and white.

They're bad sure, they should be punished sure, but to compare someone with unnaceptable views, to someone like Hitler is beyond fucking offensive to people that directly/indirectly to those who affected by him and the Nazi regime.

This forum has a reputation for being extremist in it's views and I can see why.

I can't be arsed anymore.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Harry Potter does not (on it's surface) espouse the kind of views that JK Rowling does on a daily basis, but the success of that franchise and the wealth it brought her put in into a position of influence that allows her to spread those views that are "damaging to society" pretty widely.

You don't reward people who hold shitty views because they chose not to be shitty that one time. That really should be the default you expect out of someone.

It's unfortunate that these devs have tied themselves to a publisher who openly works with racists and bigots, but the argument that "well this dev hasn't done any of that so why should we punish them" is exactly how 3DRealms will continue to get out of this unscathed, because they know at the end of the day people will choose their own personal enjoyment of a product over any sort of collective stand against them.

Damn, wasn't even aware of Godwin's law, learned something new today. Looking back, you are absolutely right, Hitler was the first thing that popped inside my mind when suggesting that "what if" scenario... but it was a poor choice, and for that, I apologize.

You've definitely made a much better point with your JK Rowling example, we're in complete agreement there.

Last edited:

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, we have an admin in here doing exactly that, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for tge mod message you propose.
Separating the art from the artist is such a convenient way of not letting morals get in the way of entertainment.