• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Used to be a big fan of 3DRealms stuff back in the 90s, but no way can I support them nowadays with their shitty stances and collaborations.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, looks like something I'd enjoy being a fan of Hexen 1 & 2, and even Witchhaven, but there is just no way that I can support 3DRealms after that nonsense they pulled. They chose to back bigotry, and exclusionary and hateful attitudes. I'm not giving them any sort of support.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Day 1. I remember reading about Hexen in a PC mag when I was a kid then playing it a few years later

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Looks cool but just a reminder that these guys are basically running an alt-right gaming show. Voidpoint, Running With Scissors, Destructive Creations, Sgt Mark IV are all involved with their presentation they are doing right now. Fuck 3DR.

you don't get that many terrible people together by accident.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I didn't know 3D Realms was still around until this thread. I'll be watching this game with interest.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Hexen, and while this isn't hexen it's the damn closest thing we've had in years.

Day 1 in my veins!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah, no. Fuck 3D Realms and everything they are publishing.

Imagine if Ubisoft or EA would publish even a single game made by some bigoted, transphobic alt-right assholes like Running With Scissors.

Now imagine if they announced they were publishing games by SIX DIFFERENT bigoted, transphobic alt-right asshole developers.

Would they get an "aw shucks, it's just a few bad apples, the publishers are good people don't punish the developers!"

If I was a developer and saw the kind of garbage people 3D Realms are financing I would distance myself as far as possible from them, least of all sign up with them
Man this is fucking gross. Fuck off 3DRealms

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
This and it's a shame people are just glossing over it in this thread.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I won't be buying this either. But so much of Hexen's DNA was in its multiple playthroughs and multiplayer with different classes, and mods like Wrath of Cronos adding even more, that it seems weird to create a "spiritual sequel" with one pre-defined character. 🤷‍♀️

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Another question. Which games of the series are worth a play? Sucks that 3D Realms is overshadowed by misogyny. Looks interesting.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah, looks like something I'd enjoy being a fan of Hexen 1 & 2, and even Witchhaven, but there is just no way that I can support 3DRealms after that nonsense they pulled. They chose to back bigotry, and exclusionary and hateful attitudes. I'm not giving them any sort of support.
Let's be clear that the nonsense they pulled isn't just in the past. It is front and fucking center of the Realms Deep event they are doing. They are straight highlighting out in the open bigoted developers.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be clear that the nonsense they pulled isn't just in the past. It is front and fucking center of the Realms Deep event they are doing. They are straight highlighting out in the open bigoted developers.

Yeah, this is far worse than the whole Voidpoint thing where they condemned the bigotry in the game then backpedaled and celebrated it.

This is them hosting an event about them actively financing a whole new raft of horrible alt-right/Gamergate developers. And then also inviting even more onto the stream.

I am really surprised John Romero is going to participate in this shit show. His wife Brenda is a huge anti-gamergate voice.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Is there somewhere we can see a list of the involved parties and their corresponding crimes?
I was trying to find out more info about the same thing in the other thread related to the Realms Deep 2020 event: https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-paying-attention-to-realms-deep-2020-maybe-an-ot-___.280787/

At this point, I think it would be useful to create a dedicated thread about that topic, it seems that there are a lot of folks who aren't aware of just how many terrible people are taking part in this event. I for one would definitely appreciate that.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
Dark1X claiming to be ignorant and apologizing for propping up 3DR in the DF Ion Fury thread is now out there supporting 3DR again. No more benefit of the doubt from me. Choosing to sweep shitty behavior under the rug because you like retro shooters is not okay. 😔

Mod Edit: Off-site drama

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Dark1X claiming to be ignorant and apologizing for propping up 3DR in the DF Ion Fury thread is now out there supporting 3DR again. No more benefit of the doubt from me. Choosing to sweep shitty behavior under the rug because you like retro shooters is not okay. 😔

Mod Edit: Off-site drama

Can't imagine why John chose to leave Era.

Raising issues relating to 3DRealms seems like fair game, but dragging John into this thread reeks of off-site drama.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Can't imagine why John chose to leave Era.

Raising issues relating to 3DRealms seems like fair game, but dragging John into this thread reeks of off-site drama.
I was pointing out the hypocrisy of him continuing to support 3DR now knowing about their bigotry. Anyways I'll create a separate thread in a bit about the 3DR stuff to bring it to more people's attention as this is well beyond gross.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Gonna stop you right there, because again, John has nothing to do with this thread. Even after he gave people what they wanted and left Era, some folks still can't help themselves.
Bullshit. Supporting this shit should be called out everywhere. He's supporting garbage and he should quit doing it. Same for anyone and everyone else.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Dayum, hyped for this. Love the resurgence of retro shooters we're getting these days.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool, please let me know when this isn't being made by a group that backpedaled a reasonable response on homophobic content into somehow framing keeping childish and shitty homophobia in the game as heroic and bold.

This game looks neat whenever that happens.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Cool cool, please let me know when this isn't being made by a group that backpedaled a reasonable response on homophobic content into somehow framing keeping childish and shitty homophobia in the game as heroic and bold.

This game looks neat whenever that happens.

Well it's being made by Slipgate Ironworks. Not sure if they've gotten up to anything untoward. 3DRealms is the publisher.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Good call, you should follow the guy wherever he goes and bully him until he agrees with you. That always works.
This. John isn't the issue. Bullying people with this purity check mentally isn't productive. I understand the bigotry issues, that's why i'm not buying their products. I would suggest keeping it there aswell. This 'i have zero tolerance for intolerance' stance a lot on here have does not help solve our societal issues we have today. No wonder John left era.

Last edited:

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's being made by Slipgate Ironworks. Not sure if they've gotten up to anything untoward. 3DRealms is the publisher.
Yeah that's fair, and I figured as much I know that 3DR doesn't tend to do a lot of dev work themselves these days. And the game looks well done by a team that, from all we know is just out to make a really neat game (of which by the looks of it they've done a really nice job). It's just definitely still something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see 3D Realms name attached the anything with how mishandled the whole previous fiasco went under them, and no apparent interest in making a change or taking responsibility.