• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't know how to feel about this.

Old FPS games still hold up. Modern games/engines can't quite scratch the same itch. The drive for realism, whether in gameplay, graphics, environments, etc. often loses some of the fast, flowing fun of the classics.

Both have their place, so if the simplicity of an older engine suits what they're going for, I don't see an issue.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Man this looks great. Not since Devil Daggers have I seen a game nail the early 3D shooter aesthetic like this.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
It looks alright. I like that its original content, but honestly alot of the mods I've seen for retro fps games look better or more fun to me.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of into them funding mod-teams/sourceport developers to make new games. It's dope.

The modding scenes for these games are hot fire, and go far beyond the original games. Esp. Quake + Doom. There is stuff there that eclipses any commercial FPS ever released.

Ion Maiden is really shaping up to be something amazing so far, so I'm super down for more in that vein.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I like.

Perfect for Switch, though the console versions will come out much later.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Old FPS games still hold up. Modern games/engines can't quite scratch the same itch. The drive for realism, whether in gameplay, graphics, environments, etc. often loses some of the fast, flowing fun of the classics.

Both have their place, so if the simplicity of an older engine suits what they're going for, I don't see an issue.
I didn't say it was an issue, I meant it's quite surprising. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who did not expect such a news, am I?

Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory meme. Can someone tell me if there any any engine benefits to using an old Quake 1 engine rather than something like say UE3? Or is this just more of a nostalgia gimmick thing? I wonder if it's actually even more work to even go back and use older tools, i know very little about how these games get made to be fair.

The reason reason, apart from knowledge of the Q1 engine, is that in this way, by targeting the nostalgia era of 90s shooters, they can make blocky enemies and low resolution textures and people will gladly accept it. That's important, because a small indie dev don't have the resources to make a modern FPS, that's much more expensive.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Dusk, Ion Maiden on Build, and the rereleases of games like Turok, I'm not quite so surprised. We're hitting that early 3D nostalgia age, especially for FPSes.
True, but DUSK runs on UE4 (there is an amusing post by the dev somewhere complaining about how it took a surprising lot of work to pair down the engine to look 90s, because all the standard UE bells and whistles interfered with the desired look) not Q1. That's dedication.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
True, but DUSK runs on UE4 (there is an amusing post by the dev somewhere complaining about how it took a surprising lot of work to pair down the engine to look 90s, because all the standard UE bells and whistles interfered with the desired look) not Q1. That's dedication.
It runs on Unity :D You must be thinking of AMid Evil

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It runs on Unity :D You must be thinking of AMid Evil

That's pretty cool. I guess I'm speaking more to the style than the engine specifically. 3D Realms has had a bit of a lousy track record working with new engines (see entire dev cycle of DNF), so I guess it makes more sense for them to return to the classics.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I've been waiting forever for retro FPS with visuals of the same caliber as good 16/32-bit style pixelart. Games such as Dusk kept disappointing me in that regard. I'm glad that is finally starting to change.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool. Though I'm not sure the point of actually using the Quake Engine. You can accurately replicate Quake movement in modern engines with a bit of work in Unity/Unreal, and games like Dusk and Amid Evil show you can capture the look/feel perfectly well while still taking advantage of a modern engine's features.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. Though I'm not sure the point of actually using the Quake Engine. You can accurately replicate Quake movement in modern engines with a bit of work in Unity/Unreal, and games like Dusk and Amid Evil show you can capture the look/feel perfectly well while still taking advantage of a modern engine's features.
They hired a bunch of Quake mod scene veterans to make the game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think working with brushes though for mapping leads to a different visual feature set on level geometry - something the creators also have great experience with!
It will have no performance problems on any source port of the quake engine :D

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Those are great games but they still don't truly feel like old school Quake.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I wonder if this will follow the arcane dimensions design of no hit scan weapons, for player and enemy alike. Even the shot guns in that game have a pellet travel time :D

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This looks cool. And I love the idea that they're using the Quake engine. It's going to feel like the real deal.

PC only?

EDIT: Hang on, UE and not Quake engine then?

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Updated the thread title to reflect the announcement info and threadmarked the trailer.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wait it's UE1 not Quake 1?

That's like an entire generation out as UE1 was a competitive engine to Q2/Early Q3 engine games.
Oops, just double checked the FAQ and it is Quake Engine. I think I have it right now, but let me know if anything else needs changing o_o

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
It says this on Youtube description:
"3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, 1C Entertainment and KillPixel, presents a hard-core first person shooter, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Crafted by the hands of Quake-scene necromancers, WRATH is the real deal. You will not survive..."

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's not lol, the announcement tweet name-drops Quake 1 and they're a team of Quake 1 modders making this
Oops, just double checked the FAQ and it is Quake Engine. I think I have it right now, but let me know if anything else needs changing o_o
Right, thanks.

That spooked me!

It would be a totally different game frankly. Looking forward to seeing what comes out if this.

We all see people making "16bit" games etc but this is literally using the tools of the early 3D FPS generation. Hoping for some good old school fun.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There was this discord teaser in case you're wondering what the game will look like:
codename_mourningvale.gif

Youtube version of the trailer

Oh, that looks pretty cool. I was imagining something worse.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in! Looks like they are using the Dusk release model. They better have a software mode option!
Now I'm just waiting for someone to make a new commercial game on the Doom engine.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Looks like a cool hybrid of Quake and Hexen to me. I really hope that they add raytracing or better yet pathtracing support to the game. It would be a perfect candidate for it.