• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So can someone explain to me what 3D audio is? I honestly thought all audio (surround) was 3D.

I'm not the right person to be explaining this, but watch Mark Cerny's Road to Playstation 5 (Or Digital Foundry analysis)

Basically, The PS5 has a dedicated audio chip a.k.a Tempest Engine.
It basically will allow for proper 3D audio. The kind of where you feel like sound is coming from somewhere in real life. (Well that's the goal at least).

Its enables hundreds of sound sources, their intensity/position/dimensionality that would normally require a good amount of computing power.

Oh and everyone has a different hearing profile, so there will be an option to choose a profile that matches yours to the closest HRTF (the way you perceive sound).

An example that was used was it's raining in game, and being able to differentiate the sound of each drop and the feeling of actually being there, in the game world.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Surround Sound exists on a flat plane (making it two dimensional) while Spatial Sound has height values meaning it it three dimensional.
See this is where I'm lost again. I understand it's on a whole other level, but I could always tell when a player was above me using my Surround Sound headphones so that's what made me think all audio was 3D.

Any pair of cheap ear buds should work perfectly fine with it. Not sure if true Surround Sound headphones would work 100% with this though, but virtual surround headset should work as long as you can turn VSS off.

If you are looking to get a top-tier audio experience next-gen, it would probably be smart to hold off for now on making any headset purchases until we get closer to launch.
Ok, I'll hold out until closer to or even after launch. Thank you for explaining all this.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
1080p for a pre-recorded video is weak, just release a 4K60 version right away on youtube for the best bitrate and fidelity..

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Ah ok, thank you for explaining. So with that do you think Surround Sound headphones will not be able to take full advantage of it? And I should hold out from buying a new pair of headphones anytime soon. Thanks again.

If you have a surround sound headset/headphones and they allow you to, just turn off the "virtual surround", "3d audio" or "5.1/7.1" functionality.

Some "surround sound" headphones will feature multiple small drivers (speakers) in each ear to better simulate virtual surround; and while this may not be ideal, I don't expect it'll break down a real 3D audio effect too much as long as any additional processing is turned off and you getting the left audio channel to your left ear and the right audio channel to your right ear..

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Damn it. I have work. I guess I'll have to try and catch it later with headphones.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If you have a surround sound headset/headphones and they allow you to, just turn off the "virtual surround", "3d audio" or "5.1/7.1" functionality.

Some "surround sound" headphones will feature multiple small drivers (speakers) in each ear to better simulate virtual surround; and while this may not be ideal, I don't expect it'll break down a real 3D audio effect too much as long as any additional processing is turned off and you getting the left audio channel to your left ear and the right audio channel to your right ear..
I'm just going to have a look into seeing if I can turn it off just now. Thank you all for the replies, a simple pleb truly appreciates it lol.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
The 3D Audio is baked into the 2.0 stereo stream; so if you can plug headphones into a 3.5mm jack on your tv/controller/receiver, then by extension you can broadcast a 2.0 stereo stream that is the same.

They never said 3D Audio was unique for the PS5, they just made clear that they're implementing it properly.

3D Audio in itself isn't new (though most times you see it written on products it's faked or virtualised), what is special is that they're implementing a unified end-to-end solution where the platform has full control over the audio pathway as well as a very powerful dedicated hardware block that allows for an extremely complex soundscape from which the 3D audio is derived.

The key at the end is applying a HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function). This is needed to match the shapes of our inner ears and the acoustics of a human head. Sony will be offering multiple profiles for different ear shapes.

The fact that you can play the resulting stream through any device is a good thing, many other formats require proprietary crap that shouldn't really need to be there. With this solution you plug in bog standard stereo headphones and it should just work.
Oh cool. Thanks for explaining.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
See this is where I'm lost again. I understand it's on a whole other level, but I could always tell when a player was above me using my Surround Sound headphones so that's what made me think all audio was 3D.
So, that's just an audio trick, as far as the actual speakers (physical or virtual) were aware, the sound was never above you. We have just discovered a way to make stuff sound like it was.

With surround sound each sound is told a direction and the sound comes out of the speaker (or speakers) that are in that direction. When a sound passes overhead or underneath it isn't actually doing that, instead its passing through you and the visuals on screen help your brain to put that audio above or below you.

Spatial sound, on the other hand, doesn't really acknowledge speakers but rather gives each sound a source in 3D space, the tech (be it Atmos, Sonic, Tempest, etc.) then assigns that sound to speakers that exist around that place. A spatial sound set up can have 5 speakers or it can have 50. And the system knows the approximate location (both height and directional) and makes those speakers play the sound at the right volume to make it sound like its coming from where its coming from.

Headphones are slightly more complicated since it still relies on just two headphones so the actual method of conveying the audios location to the listener hasn't really changed except that instead of the stereo speakers simulating 5-7 virtual speakers, it is now simulating infinite(ish).

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

Username checks out. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I had to do that.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So, that's just an audio trick, as far as the actual speakers (physical or virtual) were aware, the sound was never above you. We have just discovered a way to make stuff sound like it was.

With surround sound each sound is told a direction and the sound comes out of the speaker (or speakers) that are in that direction. When a sound passes overhead or underneath it isn't actually doing that, instead its passing through you and the visuals on screen help your brain to put that audio above or below you.

Spatial sound, on the other hand, doesn't really acknowledge speakers but rather gives each sound a source in 3D space, the tech (be it Atmos, Sonic, Tempest, etc.) then assigns that sound to speakers that exist around that place. A spatial sound set up can have 5 speakers or it can have 50. And the system knows the approximate location (both height and directional) and makes those speakers play the sound at the right volume to make it sound like its coming from where its coming from.

Headphones are slightly more complicated since it still relies on just two headphones so the actual method of conveying the audios location to the listener hasn't really changed except that instead of the stereo speakers simulating 5-7 virtual speakers, it is now simulating infinite(ish).
Right, I'm slowly getting it lol. So that's truly insane. Why aren't people making a bigger deal than they are? This is huge!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oh shit oh shit. I'm hyped.

Also whenever I see any of you mention Silent Hill, I fuckin blur it out. I AINT GETTING MY HOPES UP.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Right, I'm slowly getting it lol. So that's truly insane. Why aren't people making a bigger deal than they are? This is huge!
The tech has existed for a few years now, and people made a bigger deal when it started appearing on PC or Xbox but because not all platforms supported Spatial audio it wasn't widely adopted (I think there is also a licensing fee if you want to use specific tech) so excitement sort of fell off once it failed to take off. Hopefully now that Sony has finally joined the Spatial Audio party we might see wider adoption, though sadly it seems they still are extending support to existing tech, instead deciding to have their own independent tech meaning that it may not see much adoption for multiplatform games.

TL;DR: The tech is amazing and those that have experienced it have been fawning over it for ages but the lack of adoption in games and movies has sort of killed it.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ready!
71CpYit%2Bz0L._AC_SL1398_.jpg

If Sony makes the push for more 3D audio in games im all for it.
Well implemented Spatial Audio with a good set of cans is a god send.

I dont think im ever going back to dedicated surround sound.......till I can afford theater quality shit.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The tech has existed for a few years now, and people made a bigger deal when it started appearing on PC or Xbox but because not all platforms supported Spatial audio it wasn't widely adopted (I think there is also a licensing fee if you want to use specific tech) so excitement sort of fell off once it failed to take off. Hopefully now that Sony has finally joined the Spatial Audio party we might see wider adoption, though sadly it seems they still are extending support to existing tech, instead deciding to have their own independent tech meaning that it may not see much adoption for multiplatform games.

TL;DR: The tech is amazing and those that have experienced it have been fawning over it for ages but the lack of adoption in games and movies has sort of killed it.
Just shows how buried in the sand my head really is! Haha. The tech truly sounds amazing, I can't wait to experience it.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
I'm just going to have a look into seeing if I can turn it off just now. Thank you all for the replies, a simple pleb truly appreciates it lol.

No problem! These companies have kinda shot themselves in the foot with the overuse of different terms. The vast majority of it is heavily virtualised or faked. Now they're actually doing the real thing it's gonna be confusing. I can see a lot of people going out and buying "3D Audio" headsets now so that they can get 3D audio on the PS5, when in reality all that's needed is basic stereo headphones.

Best way to think of it is...we have two ears, we only need 2 channels of audio. The problem however is that our ears can't "decode" the locality of the audio without an hrtf being applied to the audio.

Ok so what should I do?
- PC with conventional headset
- Plug a conventional headset on the DS4
- Watch it trough YouTube VR with PSVR ?

Standard Stereo Headphone/Headset, 3.5mm headphone jack, stereo audio with any "virtual Surround", "spatial sound" or "3D audio" type stuff disabled.

If you need to use a headset with USB, just make sure, as above, that all processing is turned off and you're just getting stereo.

I expect plugging into the DS4 should be fine if you're watching via PS4. Though if you're going that route, a headphone jack on the tv or a receiver will probably give you better general sound quality.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have these headphones:

www.hyperxgaming.com

HyperX Cloud Core - Gaming Headset + 7.1

The Cloud Core is the essential gaming headset for those who are looking to team up and beat the competition. Available with DTS Headphone:X spatial audio.

Silve model. Would they be enough to enjoy this?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
If you're playing games with Atmos support, or playing on Playstation Platinum (iirc) headsets on the like three fully supported titles, then what the PS5 is doing is largely similar, just with probably a lot more processing power for higher quality. Otherwise, you're probably just good at picking out context clues and area awareness.

I just found this quote double-checking Sonic on Windows.
https://reddiamondaudio.net/windows-sonic-vs-dolby-atmos/
They use different virtual speaker placements. Atmos uses the speaker placements designed for the ideal rectangular room with narrow angles. Sonic uses a perfectly square room having equidistant virtual speakers surrounding the listener. In the case of Atmos, the angles are narrow in the front soundstage at 30 degrees off-center.

Sonic does not offer any virtual overhead for non-Atmos games. Atmos applies spatial surround to process ambient sounds that are common between both channels to the virtual overhead.
The Tempest engine on PS5 is not only doing full 3D surround, but they're interpolating between hundreds (iirc) of virtual speakers, including overhead and apparently underneath (have fun horror fans!).

The differences with what PS5 is doing is that it'll work with any normal stereo headphones (unlike the PS Platinums), it'll support more sound sources with less work from devs, and Sony (and by extension, us) doesn't have to pay for an Atmos license. It'll also be higher quality with more HRTF options, where the difference between getting the right HRTF profile ranges from "It sounds like better stereo I guess" to "Damn, that is good surround sound" to yanking the headphones off your head to figure out what's in the room with you.

Will any of the Sony Playstation wireless headsets do 3D audio?
Anything stereo that can be plugged into the PS5 should work. Since all but one has a 3.5mm jack, all of those will work thanks to the Dualsense having a 3.5mm jack. The one that doesn't is the original headset they released; I have a pair and they supported it on PS4, so it'll probably work on PS5 too.

I have these headphones:

www.hyperxgaming.com

HyperX Cloud Core - Gaming Headset + 7.1

The Cloud Core is the essential gaming headset for those who are looking to team up and beat the competition. Available with DTS Headphone:X spatial audio.

Silve model. Would they be enough to enjoy this?
Whatever you use, just make sure they're in stereo mode. :)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm super excited to see what they do with this! Here's a pretty good demo of what 3D audio can do–

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Got SONY WH-1000XM3 in release, 2019. Just for gaming and general media consumption.

Audio quality is good and shuts out world around you for that #immersion

p8230202_final_1-100774654-large.3x2.jpg

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
So that would make 5.1 and 7.1 virtual surround sound headphones kinda ... meaningless on the PS5?

Correct me If I'm wrong, please

Then I could throw my Pulse headphones away and simply use a stereo headphone on the 3.5mm jack?

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised nobody is mentioning the mind blowing audio experience that was Hellblade. That is a hint of what we have to look forward to with this 3D Audio tech.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything stereo that can be plugged into the PS5 should work. Since all but one has a 3.5mm jack, all of those will work thanks to the Dualsense having a 3.5mm jack. The one that doesn't is the original headset they released; I have a pair and they supported it on PS4, so it'll probably work on PS5 too.
But is it possible for this presentation to have 3D Audio, and would the Sony Wireless Gold headset work in that instance?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! They actually don't have 7.1 audio, so it's always on stereo mode.
Lol, I skimmed it and saw 7.1 on one of the models. Basically, the higher the quality the better, but even good earbuds do a decent job with binaural youtube videos. Load up a youtube binaural demo and have a go.

But is it possible for this presentation to have 3D Audio, and would the Sony Wireless Gold headset work in that instance?
All it needs is a stereo stream, so yes it's possible, and the Sony Golds will work fine if they're in stereo mode. The drawbacks compared to native PS5 listening is youtube compression will hurt the quality a bit, and you won't be able to pick an HRTF profile so you might not get the full effect.

edit: You might not anyway, some people will not be able to get a profile that matches great until Sony adds custom profiles, but you'll probably be able to find a pretty good one. If you think the youtube binaural demos are impressive, the PS5 probably will sound better.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I skimmed it and saw 7.1 on one of the models. Basically, the higher the quality the better, but even good earbuds do a decent job with binaural youtube videos. Load up a youtube binaural demo and have a go.

I just watched this one:

www.youtube.com

Binaural Audio (3D Audio) Demo

Headphones Required! See http://www.3DioSound.com for details on the Free Space binaural microphone you can use to make your own videos like this.Recording ...

It really sounded amazing. The directions of the sounds were pretty clear.

Jun 2, 2019
Hey there, Reinhardt! As a surround sound expert, I'm asking for your advice once again:
I will use the Sony Golds to watch this event. What do you think it's best? VSS mode or regular stereo?
Thanks.

Well, Sony aims to use HRTF that works on regular stereo headphones (Like DTS:X of Dolby Atmos for headsets) so my bet is to take the best stereo headset or headphone you have laying over there. The golds are necesssary to get HRTF surround on PS4/Switch because it has its own HRTF processing DAC, instead of having a system processed solution like Xbox or Windows.

I'm going with my cloud flight headset for this. This event is going to need some extra sound clarity

Also thanks, but i'm far from a surround soud expert ^^U I'm more like a HRTF maniac

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

What Sony is trying to do with the PS5 is essentially trying to apply 3D Audio you can get with headphones without needing anything other than your TV output. Of course the tech won't be perfect anytime soon (Cerny said so himself) but thats the goal they set for themself - give as many people as possible access to that audio quality.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Ready!
71CpYit%2Bz0L._AC_SL1398_.jpg

If Sony makes the push for more 3D audio in games im all for it.
Well implemented Spatial Audio with a good set of cans is a god send.

I dont think im ever going back to dedicated surround sound.......till I can afford theater quality shit.
Got the same headphone ready for the event. It's make or break for Tempest Engine

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Audio Technica M-50s

Sony WH-1000MX2

Playstation Gold Headphones

Between these all, which should I use? Is it 1000MX-2 or Golds? I know that the 1000MX2 has a wider sound stage than the M-50s, but it's also probably much worse than the Golds.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Will be watching Giant Bombs coverage assuming they talk over it so doubt headphones will help for me. Though after the fact I will watch the stand alone trailers to get the full effect.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Well, Sony aims to use HRTF that works on regular stereo headphones (Like DTS:X of Dolby Atmos for headsets) so my bet is to take the best stereo headset or headphone you have laying over there. The golds are necesssary to get HRTF surround on PS4/Switch because it has its own HRTF processing DAC, instead of having a system processed solution like Xbox or Windows.

I'm going with my cloud flight headset for this. This event is going to need some extra sound clarity

Also thanks, but i'm far from a surround soud expert ^^U I'm more like a HRTF maniac
Thanks a lot!
Will use the Golds.