• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will check out but this seems like showing off VR in an event. An event to show off audio is going to be hard to tell if its better than what is currently available. I have my headphones ready, so I will go in with an open mind/ear canal.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
is this sony's first "direct"?

a3cVmSx.jpg

Last edited:

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait...i have some Playstation Gold headphones...are these 5.1 or 7.1 audio? Or just stereo?

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
For those less versed in the tech: Make sure to use a standard stereo headphone/headset and make sure there's no additional processing going on ("spatial sound", "virtual surround", even anything labeled "3d audio").

The spatial audio and HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) should be baked into the 2.0 Stereo stream.

While the end-product will likely have profiles for each, proper 3D audio tends to be best on In-Ears first, Over-Ears second and On-Ears last.

If the audio isn't effective for you when you watch the stream, don't panic, as Sony will likely have to use a generic HRTF profile that suits most people well enough for a decent experience across the board; and it may not suit you so well. Sony have said they will be offering 5 profiles at launch and may offer additional options for refining the experience further.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
You only have two ears. It's the Head Related Transfer Function that helps your brain figure out where the sound is coming from, just shifting a few degrees can alter the sound and make you figure out where that pesky bird is located. That's what 3D audio is trying to replicate.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
So can someone explain to me what 3D audio is? I honestly thought all audio (surround) was 3D.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I've got this pretty badass Sony noise canceling pair of wireless headphones that would be perfect đź‘Ś I'm so excited

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
If we can just play cool 3D audio through our laptops, why is it a big deal that the ps5 can do it? They made it seem like it was a unique feature for that system.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I know they say wear headphones but I assume the Sony wh earbuds will do fine, right?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming they will pipe 3D audio, I wonder how consistently it will be experienced. Based on what Cerny said in the Road to PS5 presentation, depending on how much you differ from the selected HRTF, you may not notice any difference vs regular audio. If that's the case I'd expect some people who think this is great, and some who don't notice it at all.

(Great that they'll try for those who are close to the selected HRTF though - again, assuming they are actually going to try to present to your headphones the way a PS5 will).

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd lower expectations if you guys are watching a stream. I'd say a downloadable video will fare better in terms of the audio not being compressed a ton

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My Gold headset should be arriving tomorrow, just in time. I'll retire my current Elite headset as the one for videocalls.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Expect something similar to the UE5 engine video, it had nice audio as well. But don't expect to hear the same you would normally while playing PS5. I think its something like trying to show HDR, but you can only really see the difference on the device itself.
Not really. They can show exactly what you will get with PS5, besides adjusting the HRTF profile.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't want Cerny whispering sweet nothings about his Knack in my ears.
It had better be worth it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So can someone explain to me what 3D audio is? I honestly thought all audio (surround) was 3D.

With surround sound, the sounds are just mixed from general directions, i.e. sound coming from generally your back-left or generally your front-right (as you have 5 speakers and a sub)

3D audio simulates sounds coming from hundreds of different "sources", so it's not just one speaker representing the hundreds of potential sources coming from your back-left. You also get a "distance" sense from it too, so you can hear a bottle break from your back-left, but also the perception of it being above you and like 15 feet away, giving you a more concrete understanding of where that sound came from in 3D space

Last edited:

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
Oooooooh, let's gooo. Give me your dreams Cerny. Are there avaliable resources right now to measure something like the HRTF? The Sony wh-1000xm3 kinda sound like they have a similar feature.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
That's fucking awesome. I have my Sony noise-canceling headphones ready to go.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
With surround sound, the sounds are just mixed from general directions, i.e. sound coming from generally your back-left or generally your front-right (as you have 5 speakers and a sub)

3D audio simulates sounds coming from hundreds of different "sources", so it's not just one speaker representing the hundreds of potential sources coming from your back-left. You also get a "distance" sense from it to, so you can hear a bottle break from your back-left, but also the perception of it being above you and like 15 feet away, giving you a more concrete understanding of where that sound came from in 3D space
Ah ok, thank you for explaining. So with that do you think Surround Sound headphones will not be able to take full advantage of it? And I should hold out from buying a new pair of headphones anytime soon. Thanks again.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
If we can just play cool 3D audio through our laptops, why is it a big deal that the ps5 can do it? They made it seem like it was a unique feature for that system.

The 3D Audio is baked into the 2.0 stereo stream; so if you can plug headphones into a 3.5mm jack on your tv/controller/receiver, then by extension you can broadcast a 2.0 stereo stream that is the same.

They never said 3D Audio was unique for the PS5, they just made clear that they're implementing it properly.

3D Audio in itself isn't new (though most times you see it written on products it's faked or virtualised), what is special is that they're implementing a unified end-to-end solution where the platform has full control over the audio pathway as well as a very powerful dedicated hardware block that allows for an extremely complex soundscape from which the 3D audio is derived.

The key at the end is applying a HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function). This is needed to match the shapes of our inner ears and the acoustics of a human head. Sony will be offering multiple profiles for different ear shapes.

The fact that you can play the resulting stream through any device is a good thing, many other formats require proprietary crap that shouldn't really need to be there. With this solution you plug in bog standard stereo headphones and it should just work.

Last edited:

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Ok so what should I do?
- PC with conventional headset
- Plug a conventional headset on the DS4
- Watch it trough YouTube VR with PSVR ?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, thank you for explaining. So with that do you think Surround Sound headphones will not be able to take full advantage of it? And I should hold out from buying a new pair of headphones anytime soon. Thanks again.

Any pair of cheap ear buds should work perfectly fine with it. Not sure if true Surround Sound headphones would work 100% with this though, but virtual surround headset should work as long as you can turn VSS off.

If you are looking to get a top-tier audio experience next-gen, it would probably be smart to hold off for now on making any headset purchases until we get closer to launch.