• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not super active with playing the game at the moment, but watching streams I was surprised to see how rampant cheating is. Sad to see. Last game that was ruined for me by cheating was Division 1 in the Dark Zone. Hopingggg for a better time in 2.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
On mobile (where I actually have data), it's usually the opposite--cheaters are less likely to spend, and are usually cheating to avoid spending.
I should clarify - I was talking about competitive online games, and especially those where paying already leads to possible competitive advantages. Obviously reasons for cheating can be greatly different depending on the game too.
Also I didn't mean it as direct comparison to regular paying users in overall stat - more the oddity of people who risk accounts where they've spent hundreds (or more) by cheating on their alts.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I should clarify - I was talking about competitive online games, and especially those where paying already leads to possible competitive advantages. Obviously reasons for cheating can be greatly different depending on the game too.
Also I didn't mean it as direct comparison to regular paying users in overall stat - more the oddity of people who risk accounts where they've spent hundreds (or more) by cheating on their alts.
If that's actually the case, I'd expect that because your propensity to cheat and spend are both correlated with your investment into a game, that's probably why they'd be intertwined.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell does it not get boring after a while of constantly cheating?

I used to have a friend who abused cheat engine often in Counter Strike about a decade ago.

If I learned anything it was that it wasn't necessarily about winning for him, it was about the satisfaction of knowing that others are losing. He'd delight in the angered reactions from voice chat and comments—that was the win.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I used to have a friend who abused cheat engine often in Counter Strike about a decade ago.

If I learned anything it was that it wasn't necessarily about winning for him, it was about the satisfaction of knowing that everyone else is losing. He'd delight in the reactions from voice chat and comments.
It does put you at the center of attention. I always thought that it let people who were bad at an online game enjoy it. So while they weren't really competent and the game wasn't fun for them hacking let them get some fun out of it.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes you get match with such trash kids you almost wish they were cheating

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Ummm? Do you think people on console wouldn't hack if given the opportunity?
Wasn't this actually quite common on the Xbox 360? Given the opportunity, people can and will be just as bad about this sort of thing as they are on PC. The platform itself is completely irrelevant, you just see it on PC so much because it's (largely) not a walled garden.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Wasn't this actually quite common on the Xbox 360? Given the opportunity, people can and will be just as bad about this sort of thing as they are on PC. The platform itself is completely irrelevant, you just see it on PC so much because it's (largely) not a walled garden.
That was my point pretty much. Theres always a crowd that would do anything to gain an advantage.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the number one reason for me that I am buying the division 2 on console instead of my pretty high end rig. Cheating on pc was absolutely terrible on the first game. Idk how but I feel like all these companies need to mainly focus on solving this on going issue it's crazy how every single multiplayer online game on pc is absolutely plagued by cheaters.

Dec 31, 2017
This is the number one reason for me that I am buying the division 2 on console instead of my pretty high end rig. Cheating on pc was absolutely terrible on the first game. Idk how but I feel like all these companies need to mainly focus on solving this on going issue it's crazy how every single multiplayer online game on pc is absolutely plagued by cheaters.

Then people shit on you for not having cross play...

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Saw somebody streaming on Xbox today using a mouse+keyboard! It's not hacking but it's definitely an unfair advantage. I'm holding off buying the battlepass until Respawn at least says they're doing something about it

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real shame... The only reason the game doesn't work on Linux is because of Easy Anti-cheat, (the first few days the game didn't use it and the game played great) but 355k people just prove why it's sadly necessary and without a proper linux port (and likely not enough interest for it) it means I don't get to play it. Ah well, them's the breaks.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Saw somebody streaming on Xbox today using a mouse+keyboard! It's not hacking but it's definitely an unfair advantage. I'm holding off buying the battlepass until Respawn at least says they're doing something about it
Nothing much would be done about that as seen with many games they never do anything against Mouse users

What's way worse though is scripts/macros literally cheat hacking territory and it can also be used on controller, just type in Titan Two

https://youtu.be/neuQPwlDJbE

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason consoles are better

2vnr5f.jpg

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
This is awesome and bodes very well for The Division 2 as it also uses Easy-Anti-Cheat for online interactions.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't even a competitive ladder and people still feel the need. Tragic

Oct 27, 2017
What good is banning cheaters if they can just make another free account and keep cheating? Does EAC uniquely identify someone's hardware/software to prevent this?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
50 mil accounts across all platforms. Assume 25 mil on PC 25 mil on consoles. Assume 500k cheaters with 2/3 already banned. These numbers are probably way off, giving PC playercounts too much credit and cheater counts not enough credit.

That makes 1 in 50 accounts on PC either banned for cheating or currently cheating, or 1.2 players per game. Considering if you get banned for cheating you can just make another account and keep playing, that cheater population is big and growing regardless of bans. I think that also at least partially explains all the level 1 and level 2 champions you see on PC.

I thought Respawn was doing hardware ID bans?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This would have saved PUBG if they were tougher on cheaters, instead of saying it was xenophobic to ban cheaters who some happened to be of Chinese descent, i have no idea what he was thinking with that logic, no one cares where they are from, just ban em.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn said they heavily modified the engine though? Do you know for a fact that they can be easily ported?
Yeah, a lot of the same tricks and exploits work the same. Bunny hopping, animation cancel (double pump), etc. Hell, the INI smoke glitch comes directly from CS. The engine is well understood by this point, easily hackable to those who know it. It's common sense.

Source is Source, "heavily modified" or not, the core engine still works the same way.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
whats funny is the cheater denial culture. I've talked about this before, but there is a cheater denial culture where, when u call something suspicious out, people will go out of their way to say it's not cheating...like, if it looks like a fish, and smells like a fish...then

I remember posting a video in the discord, and this dude in my video was obviously hacking, but the guy tried to defend it and call the aim average even tho this guy never missed a shot lol

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Pubg was a haven for cheaters because they were harvesting trash that could be resold for actual money.
Im not really sure why you'd want to cheat with this game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth pointing out that in Fortnite's case, it's harder for an average player to realize someone is hacking because the building component of the game isn't as simple a problem as aim hacking; that doesn't mean people can't aim hack, it just means that one of the biggest signs of skill in Fortnite is actually your building / editing, and while you could probably macro builds you still need to be able to *move* properly on those builds, and edit them, which is just... not an easily solvable problem in a discreet way. I think the combination of Apex being on Source (probably one of the most targeted engines by hackers thanks to CSGO) and aiming being the biggest determinant in a fight of winning means that it will always be a harder fight than Fortnite deals with. Since both games are F2P, this will always be a thing, and while it's probably demoralizing to see such a large number for hackers removed so far, you'd rather see that then not and it a fairly transparent way to be (See, Bioware, this is actual transparency!)

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
After being a PC gamer for 10+ years im so glad i went and bought PS4. Man when i remember how much cheating there was in CSGO i can't believe i play that game for so long,and thats for 3000+ hours(was SMFC).You always question when you get killed if the guy was a cheater or who is a cheater. Im done with that.Now on PS4 its a heaven. It took me some time to get used to controller though.

And as a 32 year old guy i prefer a bit slower gameplay on console :)

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would have saved PUBG if they were tougher on cheaters, instead of saying it was xenophobic to ban cheaters who some happened to be of Chinese descent, i have no idea what he was thinking with that logic, no one cares where they are from, just ban em.
? dunno what shit you've been reading, but PUBG is pretty tough on cheaters. There was never a moment where they weren't and there wasn't any "we won't ban chinese" statement either. PUBG has banned several millions of players already and are consistenly working on bigger and better anti-cheat options.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1751242076602349755

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been running into blatant aimbotters a few times a day now in NA.

Overwatch and especially fortnite have figured it out really well. I played both of those games a ton and I can count the number of cheaters I ran into on one hand. Counterstrike has always had it bad and have had to rely on invasive 3rd party anticheats like ESEA

It's too bad you can't melt a cheater's GPU. That would be something.

ESEA actually did melt some GPUs... unfortunately they didnt discriminate between cheaters and non-cheaters :)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
? dunno what shit you've been reading, but PUBG is pretty tough on cheaters. There was never a moment where they weren't and there wasn't any "we won't ban chinese" statement either. PUBG has banned several millions of players already and are consistenly working on bigger and better anti-cheat options.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1751242076602349755
A while ago people were discussing cheating at the games height of popularity & the creator said it's xenophobic to talk about banning/separate servers, his tweet is probably still up.
Cheaters were really a problem with the game for a short while, dunno about now.