• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how you can watch Totoro or Kiki and not just be happy. Its a movie that will leave a lasting impression and just puts a smile on your face.

On the flip side, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most severe gutpunches you can receive and rivals (maybe surpasses because of how personal it is) really depressing works like Schindler's List.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how you can watch Totoro or Kiki and not just be happy. Its a movie that will leave a lasting impression and just puts a smile on your face.

On the flip side, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most severe gutpunches you can receive and rivals (maybe surpasses because of how personal it is) really depressing works like Schindler's List.
It's crazy to think that Totoro and Fireflies were released as a double feature. Talk about emotional whiplash.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Wow what a long time! Think I will slip in Castle in the Sky tonight and have my Totoro plush near. <3

1197929.jpeg

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I've been spending time going through their catalog on HBO Max - which have been very welcome points of levity during these uncertain times.

I still think Porco Rosso might be my favorite of the bunch

IWMSXuX.gif

As far as my favorite Miyazaki film goes though - can't be Castle of Cagliostro

Dgihvan.gif

It's my favorite of his because... well -

4652.jpg

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Nausicaa is better than both of them imo. That's not saying anything bad about those.

I tried Watch Totoro and found it to be really boring.
I read the manga of Nausicaa first and felt like movie butchered the story. On the other hand Mononoke while it's still Nausicaa lite if you compared it to the manga. But as a movie I felt it surpassed Nausicaa on every level. I wish we would get more set into the world of Monoke, all the gods and spirts were just so dam intriguing.

When I saw Totoro as a kid I found it boring but as adult I really have come to appriciate it. Probably because my overall taste in movies have changed, but for me Tototro is one of greatest movie ever made.

edit. but I have to say, Ghibli hasn't really done it for me since Mononoke. Spirited Away was last great Ghibli for me. But even it pales when compared to their previous movies. I give that Princess Kaguya is a masterpiece when it comes to animation, but overall the story didn't really move me.

Still, I enjoy Ghibli products, they have good looking animation, great background art and superb music. But they are just animation films among others.

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I watched Totoro, I was on edge the whole time because of the mom. :(
I had a similar moment. The shot of Mei's sandal on the lake made my heart sank! I was ready to be destroyed by the movie.

Watching all the movies for the 1st time and just watched My Neighbor Totoro and I was the exact same way. On the edge of my seat with tears in my eye. Came away with a huge smile at the end.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar moment. The shot of Mei's sandal on the lake made my heart sank! I was ready to be destroyed by the movie.
Watching all the movies for the 1st time and just watched My Neighbor Totoro and I was the exact same way. On the edge of my seat with tears in my eye. Came away with a huge smile at the end.
I don't think I could have ever forgiven Miyazaki. :P

But yes, it's a much more comforting watch once you know you don't have to worry. :)

So jealous that you get to experience them all for the first time, LonestarZues!

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Laputa is great especially if you know about the legend of Barsu and how it used to kill Twitter every other year.

slate.com

The Most-Tweeted Moment of All Time Came During an Airing of a Classic Miyazaki Film

When you think of the types of events that set off social-media frenzies, you might think of sporting events, celebrity pregnancies, natural disasters,...

The impetus for the record: an airing on Japanese television of the 1986 Studio Ghibli anime Castle in the Sky. In what has become something of a tradition, fans of the Miyazaki film apparently conspired to tweet the word "balse" at the exact time that it's uttered in a pivotal moment of the movie. The result of the "Balse Festival": a global peak of 143,199 tweets in one second, destroying the previous record of 33,388.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
80s-2001 Ghibli was the best. With Miyazaki's work, I think I've grown to like his lighter, less plot heavy works better. Totoro and Kiki are really great. I like his more epic films a bit less, I have a trouble with their pacing generally. Whisper of the Heart is another favourite as well. The death of Kondō was a real shame and perhaps a reflection of the problems with the work culture that prevented the studio from developing successors and younger talents.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I approve greatly of this thread.

What an incredible studio.

Also it's good to see some love for Porco Rosso here. It's so criminally under appreciated by many.
Haven't watched any of them before today. Saw Spirited Away and thought it was ok. Going to attempt to watch 1 a day for the rest of the week and see where it takes me.
It maybe worth watching Spirited Away again at some point after you've finished the rest.

I felt the same way the first time I watched it, but the 2nd and 3rd time elevated it to one of my favourites.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Porco Rosso is often overlooked, but it's certainly one of the finest Ghibli films.
I just watched it with friends and found it tonally inconsistent, light on themes and overlong (running only 90 minutes). Oh, and everyone I watched it with laughed at the final monologue and its implications.

The animation is top notch, however, and no one touches Ghibli in this regard.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched it with friends and found it tonally inconsistent, light on themes and overlong (running only 90 minutes). Oh, and everyone I watched it with laughed at the final monologue and its implications.

The animation is top notch, however, and no one touches Ghibli in this regard.
Porco Rosso is one of my fave movies. It's a simple and light-hearted film that touches on some more tragic themes here and there but never goes too deep. It would've been so easy to build the whole movie around Porco's curse but it's just vaguely hinted at here and there.

Also I don't remember the epilogue having any weird implications..

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
If anyone craves for more non-Ghibli Miyazaki/Takahata goodness, I wholeheartedly recommend these 2 overlooked gems:

Future Boy Conan (1978)

91IDUSIUcIL.jpg

A 26-episode animated series by Nippon Animation, spearheaded by both future Studio Ghibli founders, Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.
If I had to describe the series in few words, I would choose: "Castle in the Sky but in the sea and with the scope of a 26-episode series".
If you dare call yourself a Ghibli fan, you HAVE to watch this, it's GOOD.

Sherlock Hound (1984) - (Episodes 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11)*

Fiuto-Sherlock-Holmes-Sherlock-Hound-.jpg

A 26-episode animated series, result of a collaboration between 2 Japanese and Italian TV stations, the initially produced 6 episodes* would end up being the last time Miyazaki ever directed for TV animation, as in 1984 Nausicaa premiered in theaters, which would spark the foundation of Studio Ghibli, and the rest is history.
Sherlock Hound would remain in development hell for a bit due to copyright issues, but thanks to the favourable reception of an edited theatrical release of those first episodes (that premiered alongside Nausicaa), the copyright dispute was resolved and the series was finally released with 20 more episodes, with minimal input from Miyazaki.
Now, why have I highlighted those 6 episodes? Because they're just shoulders above the rest of the series, the rest of them are sadly quite mediocre in comparison, so if yo HAVE to watch anything, watch episodes 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11; they're GOOD.

Anyway, happy birthday Studio Ghibli! it was a pleasure growing up with your films!

Oct 27, 2017
i'm forever going to bat for only yesterday.

not only my favorite ghibli and what i believe to be the best one, but also one of the best films ever regardless of medium. it captures such a specific time in a specific character's life and is also universal for that late 20s/early 30s melancholia that sets in. and the music. god.

EVERY SINGLE THING about the movie is just impeccable. it's why (along with pom poko and grave of the fireflies) isao is BY FAR my favorite ghibli director.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Whisper of the Heart is one of the finest films ever made.
It's strange because anticlimactic movies aren't usually something I speak of favorably, but I agree. I love Whisper of the Heart. Once, which is another anticlimactic movie, is another one I'd suggest, but it's live action. I guess music being an important plot point (not musicals but music as part of the story) is something I favor.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Considering how a lot of old anime films have had extremely poor 4K releases.
I'd be worried to be honest.
QTEC will find a way to ruin it for you.

Yes they messed up a lot of those releases with terrible DNR.

The Ghibli movies would look really nice with HDR and WCG though but they will probably mess them up with DNR too.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Porco Rosso is one of my fave movies. It's a simple and light-hearted film that touches on some more tragic themes here and there but never goes too deep. It would've been so easy to build the whole movie around Porco's curse but it's just vaguely hinted at here and there.

Also I don't remember the epilogue having any weird implications..
I really tried to like it, but it's too violent for kids and too goofy for adults. The scene in which someone appears in a mountain crevice out of nowhere at the perfect time just had me rolling my eyes because of its sheer silliness, as did the final confrontation (which, at the same time, I would never let young kids watch!)

As for the ending:
The fact that we are supposed to suddenly care about the friendship of two characters that have never before seen each other instead of divulging the fate of Porco is just bad storytelling, as is the monologue delivered by the girl out of nowhere. The final sentence if I remember is about some game mentioned in the movie that I did not notice at all.

It just feels like a movie without a script. Kiki didn't have one as far as I know, so it wouldn't surprise me here as well.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Miyazaki was famous for not writing a script and throwing away animation cels if he changed his mind.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We've been catching up on movies we haven't seen yet. Last week we watched Whisper of the Heart, and today we watched The Cat Returns. Didn't realise The Cat Returns has the same Baron in, as was a statue/doll in Whisper of the Heart. Is that just an easter egg? They reference he was made - so was it because of popularity of the character from the original movie? Curious as I don't recall any other callbacks/sequels from Ghibli

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange because anticlimactic movies aren't usually something I speak of favorably, but I agree. I love Whisper of the Heart. Once, which is another anticlimactic movie, is another one I'd suggest, but it's live action. I guess music being an important plot point (not musicals but music as part of the story) is something I favor.

I found Whisper of the Heart to be very similar in tone to 'Only Yesterday' - same kind of characterisation for the school sections. Whisper of the Heart is a 'nothing happens' film which was very enjoyable, but Only Yesterday made me cry at the end scene going into the credits. Its such an evocative movie.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
It's about the bet that Gina talks about around 51 minutes into the movie :P
I'll pay attention to it next time, but if three adults don't understand the final line of the movie despite paying close attention to it, the story is simply lacking.

Kiki has a similar third act issue but makes up for it with a better protagonist and pure charme.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Kiki on HBO Max the other day.

Anyone know when they edited the ending of the dub? I remember there was always a little controversy with the Dub having Jiji able to still talk in the end. I noticed they edited it in the version on HBO so that he still meows, like in the Japanese version.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London

Anyone know when they edited the ending of the dub? I remember there was always a little controversy with the Dub having Jiji able to still talk in the end. I noticed they edited it in the version on HBO so that he still meows, like in the Japanese version.
That's strange.

Netflix UK still shows him speaking at the end.

I could be wrong but I believe the Blu-ray version I have of the film is more faithful like you're mentioning, so I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017

If memory serves, that change was reverted for the Blu Ray releases back in ~2012-2014, along with taking out the new songs and some ad-libbed dialogue.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I went to the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka 3 years ago. One of the best days I spent in Japan