• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
John has been fairly open about his dislike for MS. But I actually find that refreshing. Rather than pretend, he's open. But their reporting doesn't reflect their personal views.
Just to note, this isn't true. I've always loved the Xbox platforms (especially the OG and the first few years of 360) except during the first couple years of XO. My reason is simple - Don Mattrick's plans were threatening physical copies of games. I'm a collector second to a game player and that original plan is a huge slap in the face to someone like myself. If MS had succeeded there, the side effect would have been massive and potentially ruin this aspect of the hobby for me.

So I've never disliked the Xbox but I hated what Mattrick was trying to pull. Kinect wasn't interesting and then trying to kill physical media was the last straw. Then...competition happened and the entire direction of the Xbox division was changed. I think Phil has done a remarkable job recovering the platform and things like BC completely make up for what the company tried to pull. Honestly, I've started buying many more disc based games on Xbox One since the X and some of my favorites of the generation started there or are exclusive (Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Inside, Cuphead, Forza Horizon 3, etc)

Every console manufacturer seems to go through a period where their vision doesn't really do anything for me. I disliked a lot of Nintendo's output during the Wii Music and Wii Play era, Sony dropped the ball with PS3 early on.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you even read why I was quoting the headlines? It wasn't because they weren't positive about the X, it was because the headlines were clickbait when their actual results showed that the X won almost unanimously in every category in every game. Some of them are basically a title of "The Xbox One X version is amazing....but is it better than the PS4 Pro version?", and then the article just goes "Yep, it is". The title is clickbait because it's trying to get people to read it thinking there's going to be some big revelation, only to then have nothing of the sort. It's baiting people into clicking.

Yes, I most certainly read every word of your post complaining about those headlines. Despite how you wish to frame your statements, that doesn't always mean others are going to take your desired framing seriously. You keep saying you're just mad about the clickbait headlines, but a direct reading of your words tells a different story.

We're talking 2-3fps occasionally in highly stressed scenes, while looking much better and running at a much higher resolution on the X. Did the "But..." really need to be there, when it's not really even appreciably true?

Here you are specifically complaining about them making too big a deal out of framerate drops on the X version of Fallout 4. Sure, you can frame this as a post concerning a clickbait headline, but does that actually mean anyone's buying that? No, not really. You're just mad they didn't praise the X version of the game enough. Framerate drops are verifiable facts, and you say you want Digital Foundry to be absolutely accurate, but then here you are complaining when they point out something factually accurate that you just don't want pointed out.

What about performance? They're essentially both a locked 60fps, with the X version running at a massively higher resolution. It was 1fps drops for a split second incredibly infrequently. Was the "but..." really necessary?

Here you are specifically complaining about them making too big a deal out of framerate drops in the X version of Battlefront 2. Again, frame this all day long as your concerned about clickbait headlines, but boy does this smell of classic "why wasn't my console given enough credit" posts we've all seen hundreds of times in Digital Foundry threads.

Again, best console version and some minor infrequent framerate drops while operating at a much higher resolution.
And once again you're complaining that they're making too big a deal out of framerate drops on the X version of Final Fantasy 15. I'm noticing a pattern here, and it doesn't seem related to clickbait headlines. It's all focused around you feeling like they were too critical of the X version of a game.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just to note, this isn't true. I've always loved the Xbox platforms (especially the OG and the first few years of 360) except during the first couple years of XO. My reason is simple - Don Mattrick's plans were threatening physical copies of games. I'm a collector second to a game player and that original plan is a huge slap in the face to someone like myself. If MS had succeeded there, the side effect would have been massive and potentially ruin this aspect of the hobby for me.

So I've never disliked the Xbox but I hated what Mattrick was trying to pull. Kinect wasn't interesting and then trying to kill physical media was the last straw. Then...competition happened and the entire direction of the Xbox division was changed. I think Phil has done a remarkable job recovering the platform and things like BC completely make up for what the company tried to pull. Honestly, I've started buying many more disc based games on Xbox One since the X and some of my favorites of the generation started there or are exclusive (Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Inside, Cuphead, Forza Horizon 3, etc)

Every console manufacturer seems to go through a period where their vision doesn't really do anything for me. I disliked a lot of Nintendo's output during the Wii Music and Wii Play era, Sony dropped the ball with PS3 early on.

Ah thanks for the correction. I'd seen a post attributed to you where you'd said something along the lines of "I think it would be better if MS hadn't entered the gaming world". I suspect I've seen it out of context.

End of the day its fine for anyone to have any view. And hopefully you realised my post was supportive and not attacking. The job you guys do is fantastic (even if I take some objection to the occasional inflammatory title :)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah thanks for the correction. I'd seen a post attributed to you where you'd said something along the lines of "I think it would be better if MS hadn't entered the gaming world". I suspect I've seen it out of context.

End of the day its fine for anyone to have any view. And hopefully you realised my post was supportive and not attacking. The job you guys do is fantastic (even if I take some objection to the occasional inflammatory title :)
Precisely. That was from a time when I was angry about the physical media thing AND a heated response to get thelastword off my back. So not really representative of anything.

I for one am quite personally disgusted that after everything DF has then to correct their incorrect claims, 2/3 of this very page is still spent on criticizing DF for what they did, and its not even in relation to the Redout video. And hardly anywhere on this page i read criticisms to the address of 34BadThings, who, as of this moment, still have done jack to apologize for their initial PR blunder.

In advance i am going to have a slightly more harsh tone towards one user because essentially ignored every argument i brought forward, here - https://www.resetera.com/threads/34bigthings-denies-digital-foundry's-redout-xb1x-analysis-update-digital-foundry-apology.14750/page-8#post-2955399.

Also again apologies for the (smaller) quote tower. Just some opinions in here.. :/

Gotta work on my state of mind, basically.
If this is in any way related to the criticisms directed towards DF in general in this thread, please allow me to apologize for this. Whilst, as i made mention in the link above, there is a valid discussion to be found when it comes to DF's content in general (And for which NX Gamer has inserted an interesting argument), the majority seems very much pointing fingers in your direction, even after having apologized and what not, and where 34BadThings isn't even criticized nearly as fierce despite having done nothing so far in regards to apologies.

This sucks to hear John, and i wish more people would pick up on this post and realize that some of the more severe fingerblaming to DF is unwarranted.

From my perspective this is a pretty good summary of what happened.

DF are acting like adults, the dev? Not so much.
But oddly enough you hear few, if any critical voice about the dev on this page (Not the previous pages). People are more interested in discussing DF's use of ''clickbait'' (which really, that is just hyperbolic to argue) and how ''wrong'' they are in their already rectified mistake rather than calling out the clear elephant in the room that is 34BadThings's crappy PR statement.

Yes they are when they make subjective opinions like here. There are places where only hard facts are presented like VG Tech channel but DF are professional journalists that regularly (more and more often) comment (their opinion) on those technical subjects. Obviously they know those statements are going to be understood the way they were interpreted here, particularly in our current social networks world.
Yeah actually they aren't. If they were, then the same metric should apply to anyone, at which point you could rather direct your critique towards Youtube and Twitter themselves for allowing these ''opinions'' to exist.
The only outlet i can see them being responsible for is the DF page at Eurogamer itself. Everything else? Not their problem.

First problem I think was their first title: "What's Up With The Xbox One X Version?" insinuating the XBX version is bugged similar to Titanfall 2 predicament "Something's not right with Titanfall 2 on Xbox One X"

The title was changed and is now more neutral and objective: "Redout on Xbox One X falls short of the PS4 Pro experience" which is objectively true.
The first title isnt clickbait.

I said this a long time ago. The thing DF says or writes about needs to be more neutral. Although they "made it right", they still as journalists have a duty to report unbiased news. They keep flavoring their videos and articles with undertones of favoritism. Just look at the title: "what's up with the Xbox Version? Better on Pro!". That shit right there is bound to draw out fanboys and it's pretty sensational too.
How is this favoritism when its by spec completely obvious that the X is a better machine? This isnt even sensationalism, this is just being surprised. Suggestive, yes, but hardly clickbait.

So truthfully I'm glad this happened. It'll keep DF on their P's and Q's and force them to be more thorough. 2. It'll give more credibility to other outlets putting in that work because nothing is guaranteed. Better shape up.
Yes, we should totally be happy that as long as you are a dev, its perfectly fine to come up with half-threats to courts, whilst making false claims themselves and to this very moment still have done nothing that looks like an apology to DF's address when the latter has, you know, acted like a professional through this entire ordeal.

But yes, lets pile on DF a little bit more despite all this because they surely do deserve some whipping, is it not? Like, you really are picking the wrong body to criticize, especially when, in the scope of this thread, they did everything right.

I think those will be very beneficial John. Not only makes this things more transparent, it also ensures that everyone can take a stab a pixelcounting themselves. I very much appreciate that you are still willing to do this, even when this page is mostly dominated on focussing on DF's wrongdoings.

What If DF says almost the same things in their new Analysis? I mean It is dynamic Resolution but it sticks mostly to 1080p with base Xbox assets. Where will this Case go,any guess?
But i thought you said that you would believe DF no matter what and they were right? Now that they aren't and owned up for it, what's your take on it? Seems kinda unfair to ignore your own postings about this and act blissfully as if nothing happened.

Has this thread really descended into making remarks on the punctuation that Digital Foundry use for their titles...?
What this thread at this point should be about:
  • Criticizing 34BadThings for their own PR blunders aswell as the false claims, aswell as them not apologizing to DF yet. Especially when DF did do a lot to to correct their statement.
What the thread is about:
  • Continiously stating that ''DF is wrong, DF does clickbait, they were wrong, they should know better, they should do more than what they just did, i understand the dev for his response, DF is wrong, DF does clickbait, DF should leave it to VG Tech, Leadbetter should live to his namesake, DF is wrong, DF does clickbait, they should know better...'' ad infinitum.
You already have John in here stating he hates threads like these and (possibly?) is seeking help because of this witchhunt like narrative to shit on DF. There are aspects of DF that are rightfully criticized, such as by myself and by NX Gamer, but the majority of this page is all about how wrong DF is. Focussing on one side of the coin that has admitted its a coin, and ignoring the other side of the coin that continues to believe its a 2 dollar bill. Its appalling, absolutely appalling.

In the future I would recommend DF take a more scientific approach and method. Don't go into an analysis with biases and then be "disappointed" when those preconceptions don't pan out. Just go in there, analyze, and report the findings.
So... essentially what they have been doing for the past 10 years, but god forbid they show their human side? Why do people want DF to be rotating automatrons without any soul? The reason we love John and all the others at DF is because, within the scope of a video, they provide their own personal remarks. Commentary like this is essentially calling that we should just forfeit the personality part of DF, and have them be reduced to people who just report purely on points.

In which case, DF Retro obviously has no place in there since that's all based around personal decision and opinion. Is that what we really want to see Digital Foundry do? You know, at this point i am not surprised John hates these threads - Some commentary essentially calls to remove the very thing that made DF popular in the first place. As if people dont want a John Linneman or a David Bierton, but just a ''Digital Foundry Bot #01, reporting on Wolfenstein for Switch''.

This is why I'm scratching my head at all the "but but but 34bigthings said lies and misleading statements too!" posts. So what? Them damaging their own game/reputation is on them. Digital Foundry however, damaging their games perception and the developers reputation based on an incorrect "fact" is the problem.
Unlike you, i am going to assume good faith and assume that you likely have your settings for notifications on quotes disabled, and assume that you havent read my (admittely) big quote tower on you. You can find the post link in the top of this one.

If you do have them turned on however, then i find it very disrespectful to ignore the arguments presented there, only for you to continue stabbing the same party again and again.

In most of your posts the last 2 pages, you consistently dish out at Digital Foundry, despite everything they have done to correct their initial statements, but you arent being that fierce towards 34BadThings. If anything, you are (hardly) talking about that at all. Still you are talking as if DF is the big issue here, and trust me, they aren't. This onesided criticizing at DF at this point is just kicking someone when they are already down.

People believe everything they say, as evidenced by this very thread where people were believing them over the developers themselves, and that alone shows the damage that DF did to these developers.
Please show me exactly which users 100% went for DF's ''gospel''. There is exactly one user who did that, so this whole bit sounds incredibly hyperbolic and only serves to further a, what i believe at this point just toxic narrative against DF. Especially when you are essentially just repeating the same argument from the last page. Again read my post link in the top of this one, it will also explain why i feel you are arguing in bad faith.

Digital Foundry getting something wrong is a completely separate issue to the developers getting something about their own game wrong, and anyone trying to blame the developer for this or say "they're just as bad" is completely missing the point.
But unlike Z, Y (Digital Foundry) fessed up their mistakes. Yet you are still consistently putting blame at them even after this fact. Why are you so staunchly prepared to criticize Digital Foundry, both before, during and after the apologetic statements, but there is hardly any similar response from you when it comes to 34BadThings and their shitty ''PR'' statement?

Digital Foundry messed up and it 100% has caused undeserved problems for the developer. The blame for any lost sales, and there would be some, from the "1080p" thing and the resulting backlash against the developers because of their statements lay purely at DFs feet, because had they not published incorrect information there would have been no angry response from the CEO.
And all could have been said and done if 34BadThings just made a simple PM stating ''Thank you for your analysis, however, we have indications from others and ourselves that they aren't entirely correct. Could you please verify your claims and re-test your scenario's? We will provide our results and the results from the other party, VG Tech, so you can make a comparison. It seems that likely a mistake has been made, but we want to make sure if that is the case or that we are wrong ourselves. With all due regards, 34BadThings.'' but it seems that is completely lost on you. In your mindset, you see DF do something in bad faith (Misinformation), and as a result, you consider the completely overblown response by 34BadThings to be justified because of it.

That literally is your whole argument in a nutshell. Because you assume DF to operate on bad faith. And that is exactly why i say you argue in bad faith yourself and are dishonest.

If I say something incorrect about person x and person x gets angry at me, people shouldn't be getting mad at person x for their reaction. They should be getting mad at me for spreading incorrect information about said person. Could they have handled it better? Absolutely. Does how they handled it change anything? Not at all.
They should not get mad in the first place, but surprised. And yes, the way 34BadThings handled things does change anything. If they made a response out of surprise, either in private or in public to DF, then you wouldn't have this escalation. The escalation only occurred when 34BadThings in an act of being oblivious, thought it was a good thing to make half-threats with lawsuits to DF, publically.

They are literally standing up for their company that could potentially be ruined by this.
If that is your take on 34BadThings just being 34BadFaiths towards a party that in their history has always been very open on correcting any mistakes they will make, then obviously 34BadThings does not know how to deal with public relations clearly. Well, that essentially is what's going on here. Just as how you are assuming bad faith on DF's initial reporting, so did 34BadThings.

And ofcourse, despite that 34BadThings still has not changed their stance so far means that at this point they are still damaging Digital Foundry themselves. I've said it before, but you could also argue that DF is now in a position to file a lawsuit against 34BadThings for their half-empty threats to lawsuits, calling them ''liars'' and what not. The difference is that DF is a professional body and 34BadThings have shown to be anything but when it comes to public relations.*

*That doesn't say anything against the quality of the game Redout, mind you.

Preach. The problem is the people that defend the errors are fans of the site/channel. Which in turn is a bias. They can't even acknowledge the sensationalism of The Witcher 3 video a member posted. They just skip right over and defend/condone their favorite site; which is sad.
In my post link at the top ive criticized DF, and ive also had a talk with John on the subject of titles (Which isn't really relevant for the whole 34BadThings escalation in the first place but hey, we found a pitchfork to stab Digital Foundry with so might as well make use of it, right?)

I can return the favor aswell and say that there are users in this thread that can't even acknowledge the fact that 34BadThings has done jack so far to retract their own statements, or how they can't acknowledge the fact that 34BadThings has been promoting false claims themselves. Instead, even after the apology, the tweet, the redacted update in the article and the removal of the video, people still find it needed to stab on DF, even crossing into topics that have bugger all to do with this case (Clickbait, which it isnt).

That's got nothing to do with the topic at hand. DF got people upset with the developers because of the perceived 1080p resolution as well as the framerate and assets. The framerate and assets that DF pointed out are correct, no worries there. The resolution however was incorrect. That's where the problem is. That's the only place the problem is - DF published an article stating it is 1080p and they were wrong. That has absolutely caused damage in itself.
I really am amazed by how often you are reinstating this whole ''DF is wrong, DF is wrong, DF is wrong''. I am not saying this lightly, but this does not read like you are criticizing DF in good faith, but that you are demonizing on them. I mean, that can only be the reason why you still continue to harp on them after their apology and without you considering the situation of 34BadThings in the limelight.

DF have absolutely been making more .... suggestive .... headlines recently. IIRC dark1x even said on here that they've been trying some things with titles to see what works, correct me if I'm wrong? Let's have a look at a few of their last comparison titles.
And he also said that wasn't ''clickbait'' and i agree. Same with the titles in here below. Some are more sensational then pure clickbait. If you dont want personal remarks at DF, then you might as well start a petition to get DF Retro out of here. Heck, just remove any personal remark from DF, they need to stick to ''facts'', right?

I wish you spend this much time criticizing 34BadThings as you are now criticizing Digital Foundry. Last time i checked, they didnt threw a public statement out there suggesting a lawsuit.

I can't stand clickbait. It's a shame DF does it.
Its good to know that the definitions between actual clickbait and what DF are doing are getting more blurry by the minute. Its also good to know that this is somehow worth criticizing, when it isnt in the scope of this thread.

Have a talk with John over this in PM like did. And oh, don't assume bad faith on DF when there isnt reason to do so...

It's got nothing to do with the topic at hand because you've got a specific angle you're playing up here.

It's not very hard to cut through your words and see what you're really upset about. Digital Foundry isn't praising these XB1X games to the degree you feel they should be. It would be a lot easier to just say that than to go round and round in this dance about how concerned you are with misinformation being spread, but you only seem to care when it's Digital Foundry who's doing it. You don't seem the least bit concerned about this developer misleading customers with grandiose claims about the great things they were going to do with their game on the X. So it's clear that for you this is about Digital Foundry being taken down a peg, and nothing else. You saw your opportunity with their error in this case and it's time to take your swings.
THIS. Well, aside the ''DF does not praise the X, so thats why you are upset'' angle because i dont agree with that, but the rest, yeah..

I have issues with people presenting false information as if it was fact. If this was about a PS4 exclusive you would be getting the exact same response from me. The xbox is a piece of machinery that plays games to me, I don't personally care for it at all.
I have issues with people consistently repeat the same argument (And yes, i am just as much responsible for it with this very reply) to promote some kind of toxic narrative against a party that took their responsibilty for their actions, whilst ignoring the party that hasn't taken any responsibility as of late.

You claim not to push a console war narrative but your whole style of postings is consistently that and harping on DF whilst ignoring the elephant in the room.

I think the developers misleading people is terrible as well, but by making false claims against their own product they aren't hurting someone elses reputation, just their own.
Heh, its almost like John's comments on hating these kinds of threads and thus feeling crappy about it serve no meaning to you. You aren't aware that as long as 34BadThings doesn't unfuck their situation, it hurts Digital Foundry's reputation?

You made a hell of a point here! This is definitely the tone I take away from the comparisons. I just don't understand why people have such disdain for MS in the gaming space.
Because you know, people that dont give a shit about 4chan console wars dont care about this in the first place? With both of the consoles being pretty much equal to eachother, you get essentially the same experience on either. There is no disdain for Xbox One X here, just as there was no disdain for the PS3. You simply believe this kind of mindset because you give people defending a console way too much importance. Consoles are entertainment machines, not reasons to act like you are on higher ground.

Same goes for iOS vs Android. I have zero issues with people buying the latest equipment, all power to them. It becomes an issues when you feel the need to act superior over one another just because you can afford device X. Its childish behavior and it should not belong here.

Xbox has always been dope, and has always pushed console tech to new heights. As a business owner it seems silly seeing comments saying the dev should have handled the situation better. Fuck that!
Yes, because assuming good faith on another party is apparently so incredibly difficult to realize, that it is easier to go out public and threaten them with a lawsuit. Lets be hostile to another party that is known to be open to corrections since the moment they started. Fuck that, its business, right?

If anything, its BS statements like 34BadThings that fuel a divide between developers and the people reporting on them. In the end they are both part of the same game that is the gaming industry, so why shouldn't it be better to treat eachother with you know, a bit of good faith?

They published incorrect findings, which resulted in a ton of backlash against the developer.
Which came only after the developer threw in their quality crappy PR statement and making accusations, all out in the public.

Also, I've seen quite a few people state they wouldn't buy the game because the developer got angry with DF's mistaken analysis. A lawyer would definitely try to pursue legal action...or at least mine would. There's definitely damages resulting from DF's mistake. It makes sense to try and re-coupe those losses, especially when you have several posts in this thread reflecting the damage done to the dev's sales/reputation.
And yet another one seemingly ignoring that 34BadThings's statement, as well as their false claims towards their own audience, are still online and not taken accounted for. If anything DF can counter sue them at this point for slander after the fact.

But they dont, because they apologized, removed the video, updated the article, send out a tweet. It amazes me how people are in on DF being a ''big meanie'' when they are literally the only party in this dispute that has acted professionally and accordingly.

This is again another example of something I have talked about in many videos, posts and tweets, even in my Patreon video. When you are doing an analysis of something first hand without any dev or creator contact or info you will ALWAYS run the risk of mistakes or misapplied features/techniques. This is NOT the first time DF has made a mistake, or VG tech or myself, along with anyone else that is trying to do this, this is an absolute example of an occupational hazard..period.

But the support and faith that DF have built up put them in a position of responsibility, which I have said to them direct and they know well. Many times I will have a pixel count or frame-rate issues or other such info way before a game comes out, but we all know the venom and hunger a vocal portion of the market has, so I do not talk about it until I have final released code and can be sure. Platform wars are real and have become horrible (like many other things) due to the social outlets that are now open to so many with no accountability applied, this is not a console only thing by the way.

So with this in mind, I always mention resolution and frame-rates with care and add in the caveat of dynamic scaling, as this is now an almost locked in feature of many modern titles. Getting a ceiling and floor limit is relatively simple to do but balancing the average level is harder, hence why I play with these 2 bounds and then add the average between them. Article titles like this and other sites are designed to bring in the views, nothing new here, you can do this with fact and not mislead (I am not stating that is what happened here) but DF DO need to be more mindful of HOW the info and WHEN the info is shared, this reaction is from a small, Italian games company, they are passionate people and this misinformation will have a detrimental affect on their sales and future, over-reaction aside (I doubt a legal case will be brought here) but this is why the info means more than just a chat or joke on social media, it can make or break a game as titles are ignored simply because they are Sub-HD, or have a few dips here and there. Everything has to be presented with clarity and within context, the crazed sharks will always be circling for blood, but you can manage that by not chasing the first to break a story that could have a very negative affect on peoples lively-hoods. I always have and will share the facts and the stats, but be as confident as you can in then and be mindful of the consequences should they be right OR wrong.

This is how I view my channel and site info, I always share the facts and let's be clear, Devs or PR teams can mislead, exaggerate and even lie so having channels like mine or the others is a key factor, I am only interested in the tech, skills and hardware but I still have to be aware of just how that info is taken, absorbed and disseminated. DF did the right thing and have corrected/removed the video, I hope no-one centers on one side of this argument but simply see's this as a highlight as to how OTT these results are taken sometimes, sorry for the long post.
THIS. I am so happy this argument is presented here. This is what you call a fair a critical argument, done in good faith, acknowledging the pluses and minuses of DF and not being onesided towards demonizing a single point.
Paging Dark1x just so he can be aware of this. This is the kind of argument that can be useful for DF in the upcoming future. Given how John has already presented the option to release the screenshots which they do their pixel counting upon, id say they are on the right track.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x I'm sorry you guys are going through this. You guys and NX Gamer have great videos and are a GREAT time waster. I literally just this stupid ass "controversy" yesterday. One tiny misstep and now you are PonyBot liars. LOL. Some of these people think you REVIEW games. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Fuck the internet.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Precisely. That was from a time when I was angry about the physical media thing AND a heated response to get thelastword off my back. So not really representative of anything.
yeah, but, I mean, 3-4 years in this generation, and digital sales account to more than a third.
MS original plan had one digital license spread amongst MANY family users... think about that now, with chilled blood, retrospectively.
even their kinect and tv integration made sense, especially for those of us that are grown ups now.
their fatal mistake was underpowered console and very bad communication.
kinect and tv would have been GREAT features, if the console was able to pour an extra 10-15% of power for those, ON TOP of it being a good machine for 1080p gaming. So, it needed about 2x power for their plan (kinect+tv+gaming) to work as intended

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Love you guys at DF. And I'm fairly certain most gamers do too. Don't let it get you down.

The great paradox about the internet is it's full of windbags who've never made a single mistake in their entire life and take great joy in persecuting anyone who has made a mistake.

Unfortunately, this contradicts the reality I see every day. The world is full of morons who do nothing but make mistakes. So I don't really understand where the internet gets all these pious windbags from. Complete lack of self-awareness I guess. Ironically, these windbags would call out someone for lacking self-awareness:( *Sigh*

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
yeah, but, I mean, 3-4 years in this generation, and digital sales account to more than a third.
MS original plan had one digital license spread amongst MANY family users... think about that now, with chilled blood, retrospectively.
even their kinect and tv integration made sense, especially for those of us that are grown ups now.
kinect and tv would have been GREAT features, if the console was able to pour an extra 10-15% of power, ON TOP of it being good machine for 1080p gaming. So, it needed about 2x power for thir plan (kinect+tv+gaming) to work as intended
I've said it before - digital downloads aren't for me. I use them when necessary but I like to own my games. An all digital future would be a huge blow for me. I don't want it.

I couldn't use the Tv features myself and I don't watch Tv ever. I live in Germany and my German isn't great nor do I have TV connections installed near a console. Also wasn't into Kinect.

So that whole direction was competely against what I was looking for. Thankfully, they did a complete 180. I love what Xbox One is today.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We will never know because they never implemented anything. There has been a lot of wonderful things claimed after the fact, but Microsoft promised nothing before throwing away those plans.

kinect and tv would have been GREAT features
You say this as if no one ever got to try this stuff out. Millions of us got an Xbox One with the Kinect, set it up with our tv, and didn't like the experience it provided. The Kinect didn't die because it wasn't given a fair shake. People just didn't like it very much.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder why the dev would take this approach with dynamic resolution instead of the one every other dev uses. Because it doesn't seem to work as well, and really kinda defeats the purpose.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
If anything this whole situation makes me not want to support the dev going forward. Sure DF fucked up, but get over it. Mistakes happen. Damn. A simple correction for DF should have been then end of it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If anything this whole situation makes me not want to support the dev going forward. Sure DF fucked up, but get over it. Mistakes happen. Damn. A simple correction for DF should have been then end of it.

A simple "Hey john, we think you may have missed something during your analysis.....do you mind if we chime in and help you out."

Instead it was more like

"Hey John, you fucked up, fix shit or we sue for damage."

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
We will never know because they never implemented anything. There has been a lot of wonderful things claimed after the fact, but Microsoft promised nothing before throwing away those plans.

You say this as if no one ever got to try this stuff out. Millions of us got an Xbox One with the Kinect, set it up with our tv, and didn't like the experience it provided. The Kinect didn't die because it wasn't given a fair shake. People just didn't like it very much.
they had announced a *silly* number of users sharing a single license. plus, think about it.... xbox would be digital like pc, in the same time that ps4 and whatever nintendo would still follow the traditional used games path.
are you serious when you say that you don't know if/how they wouldn't try their best to sweeten the deal? come on...!

and tv-tv-tv was not bad. and I still use the hdmi-in for my laptop whenever. what was bad is that the machine couldn't cope with these features AND also be a great 1080p machine.
even without them, it hardly could. being underpowered -not in relation to ps4, screw that for now- but underpowered to provide great gaming at 1080p panels, that was the biggest problem, and a mistake I think ms will never do again.
to make like nintendo, you need be nintendo. doesn't work for anybody else.

they are a small team in Turin, Italy. most probably their "CEO" is a youngster, and he even replied during a weekend.
just let them fix the game and then buy it, if you havent. I bought recently for this patch specifically, which is disappointmenton, but will not refund them. you also cut them some slack.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A simple "Hey john, we think you may have missed something during your analysis.....do you mind if we chime in and help you out."

Instead it was more like

"Hey John, you fucked up, fix shit or we sue for damage."
Ha ha, well, it wasn't my video or article - I hate to separate like that but it's not at all what I would have done. I'm still on holiday.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder why the dev would take this approach with dynamic resolution instead of the one every other dev uses. Because it doesn't seem to work as well, and really kinda defeats the purpose.
It was far easier this way. Tuning the engine to dynamically adjust resolution in real time requires some real coding. It's far simpler to just say "at this point in the track the resolution goes up, and at this point it goes back down.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
It was far easier this way. Tuning the engine to dynamically adjust resolution in real time requires some real coding. It's far simpler to just say "at this point in the track the resolution goes up, and at this point it goes back down.
yeah, could be those young Italians were drunk during brainstorming, who knows :D
hopefully they announce a proper fix soon.
no reason for the game to run like shit other than coding.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dark1x any chances of most of Digital Foundry team make a account here in resetera?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Are we really now entering the "what if's" about Microsoft keeping the original Xbox One plan? Punctuation on the titles got too mainstream? I really hope that we're not going to scrutinize every opinion that DF had over the years now.

Anyways, I really think that DF, especially Dark1x need a break. They and he don't deserve all of the freaking out that people are giving them. It's ridiculous.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop freaking out and asking about Digital Foundry RETRO.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Are we really now entering the "what if's" about Microsoft keeping the original Xbox One plan? Punctuation on the titles got too mainstream? I really hope that we're not going to scrutinize every opinion that DF had over the years now.

Anyways, I really think that DF, especially Dark1x need a break. They and he don't deserve all of the freaking out that people are giving them. It's ridiculous.
wtf? I hope you are not referring to me??
its obvious I have no beef with dark1x of course. just conversing about physical-digital and what not.
its not like there is much left to discuss until 34bigthings or df put up something new anyway..

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I think there's something that everybody can agree on, 34BigThings needs to put in work on seriously improving Redout's framerate on Xbox One X, because its current state is inexcusable.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
wtf? I hope you are not referring to me??
its obvious I have no beef with dark1x of course. just conversing about physical-digital and what not.
its not like there is much left to discuss until 34bigthings or df put up something new anyway..
He's not talking about you, don't worry. :-) I'm happy to discuss the physical-digital stuff.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it were up to me, I'd do Retro exclusively- the community is so much more supportive and positive.
Just to let you know, if anyone did 'video of the year 2017' I would choose their DR Retro about Doom.
And you still owe us RETRO Biohazard.

He's not talking about you, don't worry. :-) I'm happy to discuss the physical-digital stuff.
Is this perhaps a thing for a new thread? That and the talk about ''clickbait'' and stuff do have enough good arguments made that would warrant one.

It would also make people stop throwing in their hate pens in this thread towards DF when those pens are deserved for 34BigThings.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
kinect and tv would have been GREAT features, if the console was able to pour an extra 10-15% of power for those, ON TOP of it being a good machine for 1080p gaming. So, it needed about 2x power for their plan (kinect+tv+gaming) to work as intended
Those great features do not matter if they move users to an unacceptable form of rentals without any sort of a physical media outlet.

People out there live with spotty internet access, developer servers fail or get taken down, and then you have download limits. Lets not go the route of excusing a terrible idea for which MS got justifiably punishes.

Separately the attacks on DF are ridiculous. They made a mistake. The game in question does not have a great dynamic scaling and the dev should have been more upfront about it. Then the developer in question went Full Trump, evoked fake news, lawsuits and completely derailed the argument from the focus on their lackluster port. Meh.

Oct 27, 2017
Well we disagree here.
While i'll admit that many people don't return to an article and that some damage was done and that Digital Foundry made a mistake,
-Digital foundry can make mistakes , every publication on the planet do.
-What happens when a mistake is made ? You use the same channel to correct that mistake since you can't assume it was done to do harm.

-If people , point to a mistaken article , you point them back to the corrected statement or another publication that support your claims.
-if people call you on social media for that mistake , you point to the updated article and you kill the drama that way.

^^ that's how things works everywhere else ^^
How a PR person couldn't do that is beyond me.
How a PR on twitter or other social media couldn't handle trolls or criticism by pointing them toward another source or with another professional statement is beyond me.
What was hard to say : " we have seen the article and we disagree with the results and we can assure you that our game does reach 4K , we'll investigate what happenned and contact Digital foundry" or something along those lines.

Then you can follow up with a statement about how this impacted their game if you want.

Digital foundry reputation does carry weight , don't get me wrong ... But this is not a situation that is irregular to me, it happens on many publications during the year.. and everyone agreed many years ago on how it should have been handled.

You can't always do that. We don't know why they didn't , if they couldn't or some other reason ...
It was already said . it was an irregular situation , so asking them to forsake their tools, workflow and methods is not always possible.

The core of the problem is not that a mistake was made because mistakes happens , this blew out of proportions because someone couldn't react to a mistake properly.
You do your best to not make mistakes, and if you make one , you adapt. Like every publication on the planet , no matter how big or how small can make mistakes so no , the core of the problem is not the mistake, this became an issue when threats of legal action came into play.

Can you back up the bolded that 'everyone agreed'? Other developers have responded by contacting Digital Foundry directly, but that doesn't imply that other developers felt that was necessarily the 'right' approach. It's entirely possible that developers approached them privately to avoid a PR issue, not because they felt it was acceptable that their game was misrepresented.

Addressing the underlined explicitly, why exactly is it more correct to accept that damage was done by poor methodology and false claims than it is to consider seeking damages based on false claims that can damage the brand and reputation of a developer? This entire situation resulted from Digital Foundry processing incorrect results, so to try and state that isn't the core problem is just not something I can take seriously when it very literally is the core problem, it's what caused the situation, it's what the response is centred on, it's what Digital Foundry's update addresses, it's what the social media reaction that the CEO highlights is centred on, and it's what the CEO's response talks about. There is no issue more core than that here. The lack of professionalism via the heated response and phrasing is also an issue, but it's secondary to what caused everything to begin with. Just because other developers have addressed them privately does not suddenly make it wrong to seek damages based on libellous claims.

For the underlined and italicised, this just is not true. Even after it has been made clear that Digital Foundry's information was false, there are still people here who are stating that based on Digital Foundry's reputation and accuracy in the past that they doubt the developer's claims (and VGTech's results) in favour of what Digital Foundry identified. You also have people in here hypothesising that because of Digital Foundry's results the game is 'mostly' rendering at 1080P even if it varies which is why Digital Foundry acquired the results it did, despite absolutely no evidence that is the case rather than Digital Foundry's methodology being flawed. EDIT: So clearly this is not sufficient to address Digital Foundry in that manner to undo the damage which was done, nor was the response (by Digital Foundry and the CEO) even sufficient at undoing the damage of the initial claim which not only do people still give credibility to, but extrapolate further unsupported claims based on the initial findings.

If their tools, workflow, and methods lead to published inaccurate results that can damage others reputation based on false claims, then they absolutely should be disregarding their current practices and they need to figure out how to improve that to avoid the situation reoccurring. As you state, other publications adapt when mistakes are found. That other developers have highlighted mistakes to Digital Foundry previously and yet mistakes are still made in analysing something as fundamental as a game's resolution (and yes, that isn't easy when dynamic resolutions exist, but if you can't ascertain your information is correct you should not be publishing it as if it is), adequate adaptations have clearly not been made. When mistakes have repercussion that can damage others and come from somebody portraying themselves as an authority, they aren't simply acceptable just because everybody is human and everybody makes mistakes.

Last edited:

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Can you back up the bolded that 'everyone agreed'? Other developers have responded by contacting Digital Foundry directly, but that doesn't imply that other developers felt that was necessarily the 'right' approach. It's entirely possible that developers approached them privately to avoid a PR issue, not because they felt it was acceptable that their game was misrepresented. Addressing the underlined explicitly, why exactly is it more correct to accept that damage was done by poor methodology and false claims than it is to consider seeking damages based on false claims that can damage the brand and reputation of a developer? This entire situation resulted from Digital Foundry processing incorrect results, so to try and state that isn't the core problem is just not something I can take seriously when it very literally is the core problem, it's what caused the situation, it's what the response is centred on, it's what Digital Foundry's update addresses, it's what the social media reaction that the CEO highlights is centred on, and it's what the CEO's response talks about. There is no issue more core than that here. The lack of professionalism via the heated response and phrasing is also an issue, but it's secondary to what caused everything to begin with. Just because other developers have addressed them privately does not suddenly make it wrong to seek damages based on libellous claims.

For the underlined and italicised, this just is not true. Even after it has been made clear that Digital Foundry's information was false, there are still people here who are stating that based on Digital Foundry's reputation and accuracy in the past that they doubt the developer's claims (and VGTech's results) in favour of what Digital Foundry identified. You also have people in here hypothesising that because of Digital Foundry's results the game is 'mostly' rendering at 1080P even if it varies which is why Digital Foundry acquired the results it did, despite absolutely no evidence that is the case rather than Digital Foundry's methodology being flawed.

If their tools, workflow, and methods lead to published inaccurate results that can damage others reputation based on false claims, then they absolutely should be disregarding their current practices and they need to figure out how to improve that to avoid the situation reoccurring. As you state, other publications adapt when mistakes are found. That other developers have highlighted mistakes to Digital Foundry previously and yet mistakes are still made in analysing something as fundamental as a game's framerate (and yes, that isn't easy when dynamic resolutions exist, but if you can't ascertain your information is correct you should not be publishing it as if it is), adequate adaptations have clearly not been made.

But that's how it has been done ! Do i need to pick an article in any medium that has been updated ? do i need to show you any article that is published later with an "update".
Every publication does this.
Why would anyone go up to arms and go public when you can try to smooth things beforehand. Do you think the de-facto answer is to "sue" ? No , people talk first , that's the norm.

It's a situation that could have been solved already if the devs hadn't made it a "problem" , that why focusing only on DF doesn't help anyone. Nobody , nobody disputes the fact that DF made a mistake , but the reason this situation exist IS because somehow , it has become has snowballed into something ridiculous.

As for people not believing , you have to show facts and educate them , why should everyone take the low route ? people are capable to read , and if you show good faith and present facts , it is enough. Why would people not trusting another source than DF suddenly would not believe them when they themselves update their article ? This doesn't make sense.

As for the third point , yes if something unexpected happenned , they should adapt and change things , but this isn't something that happen overnight. Also this situation is entirely different from the past. i'm not here to defend DF "mistakes" but you are putting them into one neat package ignoring the context.

Redneckerz

Sorry but i have no Patience to read your a Novel long Posts. Plus you have totally missed the point in my Post.
Nah, i got that already by PM. Its a shame however, since it does contain a good argument i feel, but oh well.
I missed your point? Enlighten me. Because you were so adamant on the fact DF had to be correct with this and that you only believed DF. I can happily cite those quotes for you because this isnt just some vague remark you made, you were totally clear about that.

Ayrtonsenna84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, i got that already by PM. Its a shame however, since it does contain a good argument i feel, but oh well.
I missed your point? Enlighten me. Because you were so adamant on the fact DF had to be correct with this and that you only believed DF. I can happily cite those quotes for you because this isnt just some vague remark you made, you were totally clear about that.
And i still believe in DF. Please read my previous Post again. This time you might understand what i meant.

Oct 27, 2017
But that's how it has been done ! Do i need to pick an article in any medium that has been updated ? do i need to show you any article that is published later with an "update".
Every publication does this.
Why would anyone go up to arms and go public when you can try to smooth things beforehand. Do you think the de-facto answer is to "sue" ? No , people talk first , that's the norm.

It's a situation that could have been solved already if the devs hadn't made it a "problem" , that why focusing only on DF doesn't help anyone. Nobody , nobody disputes the fact that DF made a mistake , but the reason this situation exist IS because somehow , it has become has snowballed into something ridiculous.

As for people not believing , you have to show facts and educate them , why should everyone take the low route ? people are capable to read , and if you show good faith and present facts , it is enough. Why would people not trusting another source than DF suddenly would not believe them when they themselves update their article ? This doesn't make sense.

As for the third point , yes if something unexpected happenned , they should adapt and change things , but this isn't something that happen overnight. Also this situation is entirely different from the past. i'm not here to defend DF "mistakes" but you are putting them into one neat package ignoring the context.

I'm not putting them in a package or ignoring the context at all. My entire issue with them having published the mistake rests entirely on context; they are not just another random YouTube channel with a tiny number of subscribers and little influence, they "are considered to be the foremost experts when it comes to the technical analysis of videogames" and the most popular of such channels. That absolutely adds to the significance of them publishing a false claim (and whether it was simply a mistake or not is frankly irrelevant to the damage it can cause). I've already (in the post you quoted) stated that just because it's how it was done in the past does not make it 'wrong' or unfair to consider taking a legal root against a publication which made false claims about you which may result in damaging ones brand; just because other companies may overlook this because they want to avoid additional publicity does not make it wrong to consider that. If there are real repercussions to publishing damaging claims it absolutely does help people, it helps those who may also find themselves in such a situation in the future and may shape Digital Foundry's practices to prevent falsities from being published.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. The thread is full of individuals who doubt that Digital Foundry published false results and people who have extrapolated further unsupported claims based upon the initial inaccurate analysis run by Digital Foundry. EDIT: *** Just some examples below. The approach of simply making updates is clearly not sufficient to undo the damage caused by their initial falsities.

How precisely is it different now than in the past? The difference is how the developer responded, but how exactly is it different that Digital Foundry published inaccurate information in the past (indeed, rare as it may be) and them still publishing inaccurate results now? It clearly did not lead to a great enough change in methodology in the past when libellous claims still reach publication.

***The examples highlighted; quite a number of people doubting the results or drawing baseless assumptions to justify the misinformation given by the initial incorrect claim.
Seems so. DF said straight up that they tried to get the game to scale past 1080p, but couldn't. They don't have a ton of man hours to put into one game on top of that. I can't imagine how much they would have to test to actually get it to go up. DF, in my eyes, are 100% innocent. Since the higher resolution seems to barely appear, it may as well be 1080p since I doubt the quick bumps are even detectable during gameplay.

So DF says the game renders at 1080p, then the devs repeatedly call them liars in the same press release where they admit the game runs at 1920x1080... and then the devs threaten to sue to protect their public image?

Do they not realise that 1080p and 1920x1080 are the same thing or something?

The game runs at dynamic res based on load. It just so happens that the game's res barely ever hits far above 1080p because its trying to keep the FPS up. Yet the FPS still drops, even with XBO level assets.

I think the devs have no leg to stand on whatsoever. All they are claiming is DF didn't say their game was dynamic res, but they DID do that because they referenced another study done by VGtech earlier today.

they didn't say the devs "lied" about anything. they reported their findings and their shots all came back 1080p. So its a fact that the game rarely goes above 1080p, has FPS problems and uses XB1 assets

If DF thought it ran at 1080p, then it probably runs at 1080p more often than not.

VG Tech was right in finding that spike to 1944p and that the game is using a dynamic scaler, but obviously that's an anomaly and it was an honest mistake by DF.

If anything, the devs are more mis-leading by calling it 50-90% of native 4K, when it is really 25-81% of native 4K.

I honestly have no idea who to believe on this. Oh well

*back to playing PUBG on Xbox One X*

That's a pretty crazy overreaction. DF has been a pretty trustworthy source for info, and even when they've made mistakes they're not done out of malice and are usually corrected pretty fast. I have no reason to doubt their findings here. Sounds like it makes it above 1080p so infrequently that they didn't catch it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If it were up to me, I'd do Retro exclusively- the community is so much more supportive and positive.

Love your retro work! And the threads are usually more engaging with great discourse that does not divulge into persecution complexes and wars. Not to mention, a lot of us older gamers find nostalgia as well as being able to understand the tech/performance that is now measurable, is something we always wanted back then, but did not have the technology breakdowns like we do today. I greater appreciation, so to speak I think is found in them.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge fan of DF and suggest this is a storm in a tea cup from some small fry indie studio.

Big or small, if a technical analysis gives categorically wrong information (or data so myopic it misses a broader reality), that's a problem to be addressed. I can't imagine anyone from DF feeling otherwise, because they take their work seriously.

I'm betting that part of the reason the 34BigThings person freaked out was, in part, because of the convergence of (1) the 1X hardware release and (2) the DF video falling alongside one of the first times the game was on sale digitally on the Xbox Marketplace. Their reaction was trash, but DF made a significant error, and made it central to their conclusion about the game (and the timing was particularly bad for the dev/publisher). DF is as mainstream as these analysis efforts get, which means tons of eyes, and tons of eyes from the people heavily engaged in the higher-end console market.

I love your output, and DF Retro is something I always look forward to and end up sharing with friends and family who I played games with growing up. Please, please understand how appreciated those efforts are. And by the same token, your willingness to try to clarify on behalf of other content-makers at DF on your goshdarned vacation shows an incredible dedication to your craft, and their efforts behind the scenes.

Reasonable people should understand the kind of stress the community puts on all the output from DF. Ya'll have been working at a breakneck pace in light of the mid-gen hardware refreshes, and the myriad updates along the way to basically every single game put out.

And i still believe in DF. Please read my previous Post again. This time you might understand what i meant.
Nah, i actually want you to pinpoint it. For the record, im not referring to the post that i quoted in the first place, i am referring to the posts you made before DF acknowledged their mistake.
Big or small, if a technical analysis gives categorically wrong information (or data so myopic it misses a broader reality), that's a problem to be addressed. I can't imagine anyone from DF feeling otherwise, because they take their work seriously.

I'm betting that part of the reason the 34BigThings person freaked out was, in part, because of the convergence of (1) the 1X hardware release and (2) the DF video falling alongside one of the first times the game was on sale digitally on the Xbox Marketplace. Their reaction was trash, but DF made a significant error, and made it central to their conclusion about the game (and the timing was particularly bad for the dev/publisher). DF is as mainstream as these analysis efforts get, which means tons of eyes, and tons of eyes from the people heavily engaged in the higher-end console market.
... Now that this is out of the way (Or wait, it has been ever since DF owned up for their mistakes) can we please focus on how 34BadThings has yet issue an apology aswell?

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Those great features do not matter if they move users to an unacceptable form of rentals without any sort of a physical media outlet.

People out there live with spotty internet access, developer servers fail or get taken down, and then you have download limits. Lets not go the route of excusing a terrible idea for which MS got justifiably punishes.

Separately the attacks on DF are ridiculous. They made a mistake. The game in question does not have a great dynamic scaling and the dev should have been more upfront about it. Then the developer in question went Full Trump, evoked fake news, lawsuits and completely derailed the argument from the focus on their lackluster port. Meh.
better not stray too much from the topic, but imo we are still going there (digital future), the only difference is that we will get to pay same as boxed retail, whereas had microsoft ...pioneered that model, in order to be competitive against the boxed copies/rentals/used discs of the competition we would have a rather different future $$$wise.

anyways....
Young Italians need to announce that "we are working on an enhancement of the enhancement for x" pretty soon.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I for one am quite personally disgusted that after everything DF has then to correct their incorrect claims, 2/3 of this very page is still spent on criticizing DF for what they did, and its not even in relation to the Redout video. And hardly anywhere on this page i read criticisms to the address of 34BadThings, who, as of this moment, still have done jack to apologize for their initial PR blunder.
... Now that this is out of the way (Or wait, it has been ever since DF owned up for their mistakes) can we please focus on how 34BadThings has yet issue an apology aswell?
We can criticize both DF and 34BadThings at the same time; they both created really poor situations. However, this whole debacle can be directly accredited to DF's mistakes. That is fact. This situation isn't A+B=C. So, for DF to carry the brunt of the discussion makes perfect sense to me.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
How precisely is it different now than in the past? The difference is how the developer responded, but how exactly is it different that Digital Foundry published inaccurate information in the past (indeed, rare as it may be) and them still publishing inaccurate results now? It clearly did not lead to a great enough change in methodology in the past when libellous claims still reach publication.
Yes the difference is how the dev responded and it shoudl be taken into account , that was my initial point.
Also nobody is perfect. accepting that mistake can be made doesn't influence the fact that they will have to take that new info into account from now on .

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. The thread is full of individuals who doubt that Digital Foundry published false results and people who have extrapolated further unsupported claims based upon the initial inaccurate analysis run by Digital Foundry.

As it stand now , everyone is waiting for their updated analysis. And if they don't believe , you show them facts . if they still don't believe , then let them believe nonsense. if someone is claiming that the sky is pink , when i know from facts it is blue, you show them a picture of the blue sky. otherwise you let them become irrevelant.

I'm not putting them in a package or ignoring the context at all. My entire issue with them having published the mistake rests entirely on context; they are not just another random YouTube channel with a tiny number of subscribers and little influence, they "are considered to be the foremost experts when it comes to the technical analysis of videogames" and the most popular of such channels. That absolutely adds to the significance of them publishing a false claim (and whether it was simply a mistake or not is frankly irrelevant to the damage it can cause). I've already (in the post you quoted) stated that just because it's how it was done in the past does not make it 'wrong' or unfair to consider taking a legal root against a publication which made false claims about you which may result in damaging ones brand; just because other companies may overlook this because they want to avoid additional publicity does not make it wrong to consider that. If there are real repercussions to publishing damaging claims it absolutely does help people, it helps those who may also find themselves in such a situation in the future and may shape Digital Foundry's practices to prevent falsities from being published.
Everyone is the master of their own decisions. they do what they want to do ( the devs ).
If they believe their brand was damaged , then act they shall ! They'll have to prove it first ...
Again , going to the threats is going to be a move you don't make unless you are ready to commit. But from personnal experience , i know that nobody is going to fight a legal battle if there is a way to avoid it since you'll waste time , money and many other things in the process , there are so many other ways...
Also about DF , they are a publication, and publication make mistakes sometimes .. if you have an issue with that , then you have an issue with all written media. At this point , i'm bailling out.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Jeeze, Redneckerz , it's possible to criticize figures separately. I think the amount of policing you're doing here is coming across as fanatical (and distracting from the valid core of what you're trying to say). Even my post in response to someone else, which I described the dev resonse as a freak-out, you tried to clunkily demand I say something other than what I was saying.

Last edited:
We can criticize both DF and 34BadThings at the same time; they both created really poor situations. However, this whole debacle can be directly accredited to DF's mistakes. That is fact. This situation isn't A+B=C. So, for DF to carry the brunt of the discussion makes perfect sense to me.
The thing is that only one side is being criticized the entire time. To the point where you even have John on the side saying he hates these kind of threads and feeling shit over it.

Jeeze, Redneckerz , it's possible to criticize figures separately. I think the amount of policing you're doing here is coming across as fanatical (and distracting from the valid core of what you're trying to say).
I know that it is fanatical, and i should apologize for the ridiculous quote towers ive made in the first place. But as with the above, the amount of critique is pretty much solely on DF this entire time, and i feel that this is especially poor considering they did everything 34BadThings has yet to do.

Like, i get that there are things that deserve critique (Heck, i made them myself aswell) but a lot of posts here spend time arguing an issue that isnt even part of the scope of this thread and seem more to made in the way just to ''spite'' on DF for better or worse.

Even my post in response to someone else, which I described the the dev resonse as a freak-out, you tried to clunkily demand I say something other than what I was saying.
Yeah that was my bad. Apologies.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This is what I'm wondering too. They themselves admit it runs between 1080 and 1944p, so how can they call it 4k?!

Yeah. Them going off the rails and threatening legal action over a simple mistake, all the while disingenuously claiming the XB1X port of their runs at "4k@60fps" makes 34BigThings look far worse to me than even the most cynical view of DF's mishap could make them appear.

How can they get so sanctimonious about "DF lying about resolution" when the rest of DF's very valid criticisms still paint the port in a pretty terrible light?

Status
Not open for further replies.