• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It's like you didn't even read my post. I wasn't turning anything into a fanboy war or making it about consoles. I was questioning the title of the article and how it is pretty obviously clickbait and pandering to those who want to see the Pro come out on top.

If you can't even read my posts please don't call them out. Please don't take this even further off topic. Again - I don't care if the game is better on X or Pro. That's not relevant to the conversation. Neither is Devs saying it's 4k or 4KCB. What is relevant is DF getting the resolution wrong.

But they got it wrong, because the devs outright withheld the information that the resolution is supposed to be dynamically scaling, and that it scales SO BADLY that it actually managed to stay at 1080p the entire time. DF literally cannot know what the game does not show them. They played it and it maintained 1080p the entire time. The dev only copped up to it afterwards, while STILL claiming the game runs at 4K@60 with scaling, which as far as I can tell is still actually at best, a half truth, as it almost never, if ever, achieves that goal.

The devs statements, and lack of truth about how the game is supposed to run, is what led to this. Had the dev claimed up front this game was 4K targeted with dynamic scaling, DF could easily have written "This game is supposed to dynamically scale, but during our testing it never got above 1080p". Would that have been any better for them? It would still lead them to the correct conclusion that the patch was ass, and that performance is subpar on a system that in theory should be stronger than the PS4 Pro.

And again, your assertions that DF is just writing clickbait to aim for the PS4 Pro audience is console war garbage. Stop trying to deflect from all of this.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% of the blame for the incorrectly stated resolution does lie on DF though. The developer didn't say their framerate analysis was wrong or dispute that it is using XB1 textures etc, did they? Pretty sure they just called them out on the incorrect resolution, which was incorrect, therefore DF are 100% to blame here.

Correct me if I'm wrong though and they called DF out for something that isn't in fact wrong?

Why are people trying to put blame on the developers for things that they didn't dispute?
for one the devs blatantly lied while marketing about both versions of the game. They are threatening legal action over a honest mistake when they are the ones that have been blatantly false advertising and more deserving of legal action since they lied on purpose, it wasn't a mistake.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad a dev called out DF. Some people along with dark1x questioned why i don't like DF in that other thread about NXGamer, well this thread is your answer.
I hate threads like this. Console wars are horrible. I just want to make honest, interesting videos divorced from this nonsense. It's extremely deflating.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm glad a dev called out DF. Some people along with dark1x questioned why i don't like DF in that other thread about NXGamer, well this thread is your answer.
So you are happy with developer efforts like this X version of Redout? That sort of product is acceptable to you? You're happy for developers to accusing people of lying when they made mistakes?

Maybe put your knives away, because this sure looks like seizing on any mistake DF have made and ignoring all the legitimate criticism the developers are facing for giving people a false idea of what the patch would deliver, delivering a bad X upgrade and counterattacking with false claims rather than taking on board any responsibility for their own part in this.

Last edited:

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
It's like you didn't even read my post. I wasn't turning anything into a fanboy war or making it about consoles. I was questioning the title of the article and how it is pretty obviously clickbait and pandering to those who want to see the Pro come out on top.

Redout on Xbox One X falls short of the PS4 Pro experience
(And the original subtitle was: Sony's console runs smoother and looks better.)

This first statement is completely true and I'd argue the second is as well or at the very least not that wrong depending on how much one favours resolution over LOD quality.

Qualifying that as clickbait and pandering... well.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I hate threads like this. Console wars are horrible. I just want to make honest, interesting videos divorced from this nonsense. It's extremely deflating.

The YouTube comments on Digital Foundary videos is some of the worst "dialog" in the realm of video games. I don't blame Digital Foundary for that, but I can imagine how this is exhausting for you guys. I, as an owner of a Pro, X, and PC, really appreciate what you all do because it allows me to be an informed consumer when I don't know which version is best, and in the face of developers who are misrepresenting their products at times that can be difficult as a layperson.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
34BT handled this poorly, and I say this as someone that really likes Redout.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Ah ok. So it was just a discrimination. That's a relief. :/

discrimination is a fact of life, more so in video games. You aren't just a developer but will be classed as an British, America or Japanese developer ( I better not use Italian) or outfit. You aren't just a console manufacturer but an America or Japanse manufacture of said consoles and if you a Ferrari F1 fan .you aren't just a fan but a 'Tifosi'.
Shocking levels of discrimination and YES I am a Tifosi

So get a grip and spare me with your PC nonsense

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

If you can't even read my posts please don't call them out. Please don't take this even further off topic. Again - I don't care if the game is better on X or Pro. That's not relevant to the conversation. Neither is Devs saying it's 4k or 4KCB. What is relevant is DF getting the resolution wrong.
I can be wrong but the title was not changed because it is accurate no matter the accuracy of resolution.

So you complaining about something not even related to the resolution mistake.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where 34BigThings go full Trump.

Rather than responding to the fact that they didn't deliver what they promised, and have in fact delivered one of the worst X patches yet seen, they pick up on the mistake Digital Foundry made (a mistake I should add, that doesn't change that 34BigThings didn't deliver what they promised when it comes to resolution) call them liars, attack their credibility and call them fake news, and threaten to sue. It's a classic Trump counter attack. Admit no wrong doing. Distract. Threaten litigation.

I cannot think of many ways 34BigThings could have responded to Digital Foundry's video that would be worse or more damaging to 34BigThings reputation.

Seizing on the mistake. Ignoring everything else. Suggesting an agenda that isn't remotely there. Threatening to sue.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed these parallels.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
discrimination is a fact of life, more so in video games. You aren't just a developer but will be classed as an British, America or Japanese developer ( I better not use Italian) or outfit. You aren't just a console manufacturer but an America or Japanse manufacture of said consoles and if you a Ferrari F1 fan .you aren't just a fan but a 'Tifosi'.
Shocking levels of discrimination and YES I am a Tifosi

So get a grip and spare me with your PC nonsense

You guys are way off topic here, cut it out with this stuff. Take it to DMs or something if you're this upset about it.

Mistakes happen like this all the time, most companies handle it responsibly and don't fire off crazy statements from the hip. Certainly DF made a statement in error and they addressed that. There is no reason for, or evidence of, DF ever singling out any game or system as inferior. This developer has been represented very poorly by its CEO.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The dev response to this is pretty gross to me. People make mistakes and the professional thing to do would have been to contact DF and explain what was happening. To call them click bait and say you would be pursuing legal action is really petty, especially since once they were made aware they made a correction. People make mistakes and when they do it's not always malicious.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the fact that DF had to apologize publicly because some dev cried about them missing a single detail and threatened them with legal action is one of the most pathetic things i've ever seen.

I actually wanted to buy Redout on a sale to see if it was a competitor to F Zero.. No thanks now

The bigger issue was with the title of the video, almost likely DF got pleasure out of the "failure". I'd look up the exact wording, but they seem to have taken it down.

Yeah DF are such "sony ponies" they are so happy to see the X run worse, its all a conspiracy to make the X look bad. Some people out themselves just by writing this kind of nonsense you know?

DF have been accused of every kind of bias under the sun, and none of it has ever been true.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly imo the most baffling thing out of all of this is the fact that there are still people saying "no I believe DF, they know what they're doing and they say it's 1080p locked so it's 1080p". I mean the evidence is right there that they are absolutely 100% wrong. VG tech proved it, the developer proved it, and DF even admitted it..... Yet people still believe DF weren't wrong. Crazy talk.

This is why a lawsuit is on the cards. They can't easily take back the damage that they did, and they did do damage. Adding a small footnote in a description or at the top of an article is bullshit and almost pointless. They need to man up and front page a retraction, and even then it's not going to come close to undoing the damage.
I 100% agree. They need a full article retraction.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Of course DF handled it professionally, they got caught with their pants down. They weren't going to come out and have a go at the other guys when they were the ones in the wrong lol.

DF threw this game and developer to the wolves that have been starving for anything that can be used to say that something on PlayStation is better than it is on the X. They've been getting increasing clickbaity with their titles and articles, they know what they're doing. I'm not saying they got the resolution wrong on purpose, but they played what they thought was a problem to get maximum exposure and reactions.

The developers and CEO have every right to be pissed. They got called "lazy Devs" by a respected and much loved publication based on incorrect facts. They absolutely have lost reputation and sales purely based on that DF article, even if their CEO said nothing. People saw 1080p and noped out of it, abusing the Devs as they left.

Adding an update to the top of an article is meaningless. The very large majority of an articles hits come in in the hours after the article hits. People that read it aren't going to go back and read it again to see the updated text lol. "Oh I really loved that article about a shitty 1080p X version, I might go read it and laugh again!" .... That doesn't happen. That's why posting an update and removing a video isn't good enough - it doesn't undo the views and tarnished reputation. They need to put out a new article on their front page that people will see, otherwise they're just pissing in the wind and saying "hey look we tried".

Bad faith posting? Get out of here with that rubbish. DF stuffed up, have admitted stuffing up, so they need to make it right.
Wow you stated it better than I ever could. Applause for this post.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think it's enough especially when you are dealing with peoples livelihoods here.
Apply the same logic to the staff at DF. Accusing them of lying, and attacking the credibility of the whole site, and threatening to litigate so as to sidestep all the other valid criticism of 34BigThings work is doing what to their livelihoods?

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think it's enough especially when you are dealing with peoples livelihoods here.

You can't act like a baby and sue people every time a reviewer says something incorrect about your product. This happens constantly in all fields of industry, cars, vacuum cleaners, whatever. Digital Foundary admitted their mistake, retracted the article, and we move on.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. Youtube/twitter/facebook are house of that kind of comments. Toxic post, death thread, etc...

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

What? So you don't think them updating the article and admitting their mistake is enough? What should they do? Go on an apology tour to say "Sorry we got everything right about this except this one thing?" The people at DF are not infallible they are human. Humans make mistakes. They corrected the mistake and apologized for it. Asking for anything else is a bit ridiculous IMO.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Apply the same logic to the staff at DF. Accusing them of lying, and attacking the credibility of the whole site, and threatening to litigate so as to sidestep all the other valid criticism of 34BigThings work is doing what to their livelihoods?
That's the fault of digital foundry. They should have done a better, more thorough analysis. Glad Vgtech was here. Maybe DF should ask what their setup is to mitigate mistakes such as these. I know Redout isn't a huge AAA title but DF could put more of an effort to get things right especially when to are dealing with peoples livelihoods.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
You can't act like a baby and sue people every time a reviewer says something incorrect about your product. This happens constantly in all fields of industry, cars, vacuum cleaners, whatever. Digital Foundary admitted their mistake, retracted the article, and we move on.

I just try to imagine if it was my my game I spent years trying to develop make etc. There reaction is understandable even if overboard.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That's the fault of digital foundry. They should have done a better, more thorough analysis. Glad Vgtech was here. Maybe DF should ask what their setup is to mitigate mistakes such as these. I know Redout isn't a huge AAA title but DF could put more of an effort to get things right especially when to are dealing with peoples livelihoods.

I would understand this line of thinking if DF was wrong a lot and misleading about things often but this is the first major miss they have had that I can think of. The response to their mistake makes me uninterested in supporting the company more than the actual mistake does.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There are some people who are very dedicated to their console of choice. It's unfortunate. Funny post histories, though.
Yeah, I don't really get why Xbox fans would side with the developers on this, when they've delivered an inferior version of their game to both Xbox systems. Just because they're upset that DF correctly pointed that out, and some Sony fans might run with it to make false statements about the system? Who cares. No number of demonstrably bad X patches change that the X is demonstrably the more powerful system. I can't really get my head around it.

It's always going to be notable when an X version of a game is inferior to a Pro version in one technical way or another, because efforts being equal, it should never be the case. Highlighting that put's devs feet to the fire and hopefully gets them to fix the specific issues.

I'd have thought much better of this developer if they'd just come forwards, explained that DF were wrong and that it DID have a dynamic resolution and apologized for not being forthcoming about it, and promised that they were doing what they could to bring the Pro settings to the X and fix the performance problems. I love games like this. I was waiting for the X patch to see if it was worth my money. That would have made me more likely to buy it. What they did made me less likely.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that, but a comparison of any type will always trigger "warriors" no matter what hobby or products we're talking about, and Digital Foundry as a website is at it's core built to trigger that kind of talk.

The problem here isn't the "war" though, it's the crappy attitudes, if people would avoid the mud slinging there wouldn't be much of a problem.

And PS4 and XB1 will always be the worst to compare since there is so much frustration and big egos built up during the last 4 years.

Xbox gamers has been at the second place the whole time hating it and tried to learn that other things than the power matters instead. While PS4 gamers has been at the top the whole time loving every second and really boasting about the power.

Now that everything is reversed it's quite obvious that there will be a clash.

But just ignore that noise and focus on delivering great content instead.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So you won't apply the same consideration.

Whose fault is it that the game isn't the promised 4K / 60 fps? Whose fault is it that the X version is worse than the Pro version?

See? You're absolving the devs of their mistakes, and not doing the same for DF, who are the only ones that have actually done something to try and make right on their mistakes.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

No, its the fault of the dev for bein reactionary instead of just getting in contact with them to let them know about the dynamic res. You can't cry about the devs "losing their livelihood" over a game that regardless of the single mistake DF didnt pick up on, was still inferior in other ways to the other versions. People would have been pissed at this dev regardless of if the res went up at some parts or not.

And then to not pay DF the same consideration? What a hypocritical viewpoint

That's what i've been saying John. You guys should just not pay attention to social media at all.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But they got it wrong, because the devs outright withheld the information that the resolution is supposed to be dynamically scaling, and that it scales SO BADLY that it actually managed to stay at 1080p the entire time. DF literally cannot know what the game does not show them. They played it and it maintained 1080p the entire time. The dev only copped up to it afterwards, while STILL claiming the game runs at 4K@60 with scaling, which as far as I can tell is still actually at best, a half truth, as it almost never, if ever, achieves that goal.

The devs statements, and lack of truth about how the game is supposed to run, is what led to this. Had the dev claimed up front this game was 4K targeted with dynamic scaling, DF could easily have written "This game is supposed to dynamically scale, but during our testing it never got above 1080p". Would that have been any better for them? It would still lead them to the correct conclusion that the patch was ass, and that performance is subpar on a system that in theory should be stronger than the PS4 Pro.

And again, your assertions that DF is just writing clickbait to aim for the PS4 Pro audience is console war garbage. Stop trying to deflect from all of this.

This is incorrect, though, as they did say there was dynamic resolution at play when the Enhanced patch released a few weeks ago.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Maybe Redout should have a better dynamic resolution algorithm for Xbone X? Maybe the developer should have been upfront with the whole "4K" explanation and didn't come out attacking and threatening litigation with a "btw, we are dynamic 4K" post-fact?

DF staff played the game and it stayed at 1080p the whole time. I think this goes more into misleading dev statements then anything If the Devs were more upfront then this whole fiasco wouldn't have happened.

Again, I actually own the game on Steam and like it quite a bit but this series of events is at least 80% or more on the devs.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
dark, you are the rest of DF make some of the best video game analysis that has ever been seen. Your work is appreciated.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, they better watch themselves when they review the performance of the upcoming Switch version. :p

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is incorrect, though, as they did say there was dynamic resolution at play when the Enhanced patch released a few weeks ago.
This does not clearly say what you say it does.

Xbox One X Exclusive:
The game is now rendered in 4K and 60fps which is a ~4X increase over the standard Xbox One version. This resolution will provide superior image quality on 4K TVs and a crisper, super-sampled image on 1080p TVs.

Updated content:
– More than 300 fixes since the last update, going from title stability and bugfixes, to metagame calibration and balancing.
– Major performance update in every environment, with special regards for Abruzzo and Europa. This guarantees a more stable framerate and smoother gameplay for the entire game, especially for Xbox One owners.
– Major updates to the dynamic resolution scaler to improve framerate in all conditions.
– Easter eggs, for Christmas.

There is no mention in the X exclusive section of the patch notes that the X version is ever running at less than 4K, and certainly no mention that it never actually runs at 4K as they have now admitted. The dynamic scaler is only mentioned in the general patch notes.

Granted DF should still have allowed for the possibility, but no. The developers were not upfront at all with what the game was doing on the X. Read that Xbox One X Exclusive section of the patch notes again.

Woggerman

Oct 25, 2017
This would not have escalated to this point if DF would have contacted the Devs to ask for comment about analysis. Reporters almost always ask for comment from the primary in a report for any reaction before publishing.
Listen to a news story about something like "the least safest cars in an accident". They always say "we've contacted the manufacturers for comment....."

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

Well the only thing they did say in regards to XOXO in particular was "it's 4K/60 boys." Unless there's something important they didn't quote in that article, the dynamic scaler bit could have just been related to the other platforms.

Edit: too late lol

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How did all of DF's shot come in at 1080 then?
I haven't played it myself but, from what I've read, it sounds like the resolution jumps up in specific sections of the track. It seems tied to track position rather than load. I can see how he'd miss that since it doesn't seem to work in a traditional fashion.

Reminds me of Sonic Forces on X1X where resolution varies on a per level basis.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of posters need to watch the actual video and also the VGTech resolution analysis.
The problem with checking the actual resolution in this game is that dynamic resolution scaling is not only dependent on gpu workload, but also position on the track, which is strange to say the least.
Additionally as the game has heavy post-process pipeline and UE 4 TAA solution and it is never working in native 4K, its not that easy to determine resolution as native 'by eyes', thats why pixel counting comes in.
The problem with pixel counting is that you need to get a proper sample of shots to determine how resolution is scaled.
Generally, in games with resolution scaling, you take screenshots of busy scenes, mid busy scenes and no busy scenes, and then count pixels. The problem with this approach, in this game only, is that resolution is also being changed based on the position on track, no matter what gpu workload is. If you do not know that, as you did no notice it previously and knew about it before selecting control group of screenshot for pixel counting, you could very well, due to pure luck for example, never take a screenshot from the track part that dont have fixed resolution.
That would explain the mistake.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone see the video before DF pulled it? Maybe the video is the reason for so much vitriol from the small developer, less than the article.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

There is no mention in the X exclusive section of the patch notes that the X version is ever running at less than 4K, and certainly no mention that it never actually runs at 4K as they have now admitted. The dynamic scaler is only mentioned in the general patch notes.

Granted DF should still have allowed for the possibility, but no. The developers were not upfront at all with what the game was doing on the X. Read that Xbox One X Exclusive section of the patch notes again.

So they do know that 4K is 4X increase over 1080p.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The bigger issue was with the title of the video, almost likely DF got pleasure out of the "failure". I'd look up the exact wording, but they seem to have taken it down.
That's the most ridiculous shit I've read in a long time.

Not everything that moves is a fanboy

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it myself but, from what I've read, it sounds like the resolution jumps up in specific sections of the track. It seems tied to track position rather than load. I can see how he'd miss that since it doesn't seem to work in a traditional fashion.

Reminds me of Sonic Forces on X1X where resolution varies on a per level basis.
So its not a real 'Dynamic' resolution? Because dynamic means when the game have heavy scenes, they drop resolution in favor to perfomance... but in this case its a prefix resolution for each stage...
Start to think its not a 'dynamic' after all...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So looks like DF made a mistake, and apologized. Good for them for being honest.

I wonder if fans will stop the backlash or double down on it?

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Well the only thing they did say in regards to XOXO in particular was "it's 4K/60 boys." Unless there's something important they didn't quote in that article, the dynamic scaler bit could have just been related to the other platforms.

Edit: too late lol

It's written in the article itself - I got it from the developers. The game already used dynamic resolution on the standard Xbox One. Granted, they didn't say how often the dynamic scaler kicked in.

[...] it maintains the dynamic resolution used on Xbox One to keep the frame rate up at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.