• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The dev doing an unironic impression of Donald Trump ensures I'll never buy the game. Way more damaging than DF's article.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why, though? People buy games according to how litigious a publisher is?

Some don't buy games from developers they don't want to support. If people think these developers are going overboard and being ridiculous, they might not want to give money to them in the future.

Same reason (albeit less drastic) why some people don't spend money on games with GG ties.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely unprofessional. Feel like the companies Social Media Community Manager is going at DF fullforce with it's Tweets and reaction. I do feel sorry for DF, mistakes happen and they've acknowledged it, but I feel like they should remove the video and re-up with the correct information. Your average joe gamer won't go back to the article or description for an update.

They wrote that "How the scaler works is something we'll take another look at, as even the simplest shots in our sample came in at native 1080p" in their update to the article, so updated video is probably coming.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
ive never heard of 34bigthings. As far as i know ive never played a game from them, nor been interested in one. Ive been watching DigitalFoundry for a long time now, and am not aware of any other devs calling them liars or any major mistakes theyve made.

34bigthings is pretty much immediately on my avoid list for this. Maybe DF did make a mistake, i dont really know at this point, but 34bigthings is being ridiculous. Great first impression guys. The correct response would have been to contact DF and work with them to see what exactly is going on. I'm sure they are more than willing to correct any mistakes.

The internet rages at the drop of the hat. They also forget it ever happened the next day. Get used to it.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an honest mistake on the part of DF, based on the resolution of the captures.

They updated the article acknowledging this, but the CEO seems adamant that it should be sold as '4K@60fps' which clearly isn't the case at all.

Haven't most XboxOne/ps4 games the past 4 years been sold as "1080p/30fps" games even if the resolution is dynamic and the framerate not locked?

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Because companies trying to bully reviewers for their own incompetence and poor performance (since they admitted it drops to 1080p but doesn't play in 1080p whatever that means) of their game generates a lot of negative press and usually makes people not want to give them money in the future. DF also seems to have some small blame but much smaller than the false advertising from the developer and this is a dis-proportioned response to criticism.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a big fan of the Digital Foundry fanbase. They've been quite cancerous for many years, so not surprised of the harassment from a few people. Not saying it's the DF people's fault, but it's a result they've cultivated from not taking care of maintaining those people. And it's been consistent from what I've seen, so no excuses. Almost every video has a wall full of trash comments. Digital Foundry themselves are pretty good though.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok maybe we should take legal action against devs and publishers claiming their games are 4K when they are clearly not. Clear case of false advertising from pretty much the entire console industry.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Well they claimed the game it was 1080p all the time. I'm not trying to defend the developers but you know, they should check a bit better before claim such stuff because that's something which put in a bad light the company job.

https://wccftech.com/redout-lightspeed-edition-xbox-one-x-update/

Italian studio 34BigThings just sent out a press release announcing that Redout: Lightspeed Editionhas been updated to properly support Microsoft's Xbox One X console. As previously announced exclusively to Wccftech, Redout: Lightspeed Edition will support 4K@60FPS without any checkerboard rendering technique, though it maintains the dynamic resolution used on Xbox One to keep the frame rate up at all times.

I know, it may seem like I'm bullying or hating them, but this is not only a great lesson learned for DF (it may help to double check your findings or go easy on headlines) and the developers (take a step back and evaluate whether this is the final product you want to release).
Only after the fact that DF highlighted the 1080p resolution, they claimed that it was at 1080p. Throughout the whole video you can see that their games run worse on Xbox one X, which is a bad look.
The only reason why I'm hammering the 4k@60fps narrative is due to their action to go into a law suit. (more xbox one x games claim the 4k resolution, while it turns out to be checkerboard rendering).

They've made an good looking spiritual successor to Wipeout, so it's only more disappointing to see this.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
More specifically, we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080

But... 1920x1080 isn't 50% of native 4K? It's 25%. And 3456x1944 is just 81% of 4K, not 90%.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
More like digital fallacy.. am I right ? * high fives *

But seriously when your claim to fame is being the number 1 source for fanboy fuel you better have your story correct or you will quickly be called out for it. Even if it was an honest mistake. It's just the nature of what they do.
Yep. DF, you had one job...

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So 34BT had overblown the update, Digital Foundry simply said what they had found based on the new update, now 34BT is calling DF out on "fake news" and threatening legal action? Well this will not end well.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

I can only speak for myself. I wok in the industry, and in communications, so that is something I pay a lot of attention to, and where I value professionalism and courtesy. So yeah, for me that behaviour pretty much means I wouldn't buy a game from said company.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
The first thing they jump to is calling DF liars and threatening legal action?

Sounds like they need a lesson in PR.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
So the game still doesn't have checkboard rendering on PS4 Pro? DF states that in the video. States it's running at 1080p.

The developer said this would be use checkboard rendering on PS4 Prohere.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because companies trying to bully reviewers for their own incompetence and poor performance (since they admitted it drops to 1080p but doesn't play in 1080p whatever that means) of their game generates a lot of negative press and usually makes people not want to give them money in the future.

Hey, I get it's not a fantastic approach to solve their PR problem with Xbox X fans...I'm just arguing that this method will probably do more to help their situation with Xbox X gamers than hurt their future game sales.

In this day and age, assuming blowback from this type of social media reaction is only theoretical.

I doubt this does them more harm in the end.

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I get it's not a fantastic approach to solve their PR problem with Xbox X fans...I'm just arguing that this method will probably do more to help their situation with Xbox X gamers than hurt their future game sales.

In this day and age, assuming blowback from this type of social media reaction is only theoretical.

I doubt this does them more harm in the end.
How? Xbox One X fans still have a game that isn't 4k 60fps like they advertised everywhere. You would have some point if like a day later they actually updated their game to perform as they claimed it would.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I know, it may seem like I'm bullying or hating them, but this is not only a great lesson learned for DF (it may help to double check your findings or go easy on headlines) and the developers (take a step back and evaluate whether this is the final product you want to release).
Only after the fact that DF highlighted the 1080p resolution, they claimed that it was at 1080p. Throughout the whole video you can see that their games run worse on Xbox one X, which is a bad look.
The only reason why I'm hammering the 4k@60fps narrative is due to their action to go into a law suit. (more xbox one x games claim the 4k resolution, while it turns out to be checkerboard rendering).

They've made an good looking spiritual successor to Wipeout, so it's only more disappointing to see this.
I haven't said the developers were the most honest in the earth, just to be clear. But really the whole video was focused on the 1080p chats. They never mentioned dynamic or whatever. That's why they should be more careful before talk about such stuff.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't DF usually pretty good at noting games that have dynamic resolutions?
Indeed they are, which is why it'll be especially interesting to see if they somehow managed to test an unpatched version of the title, had a technical hitch that munged their captures somehow or that the game sits at 1080P for a meaningful majority of time. and maybe some other reason that doesn't instantly spring to mind.

I watched the DF video and was thinking the same thing, it was a poor port, and now seeing this.. I really feel bad for the developer, this is where certain tech videos need to be QC better before actually posting finds, at least confirm with the developers first, I know DF does this so it's strange how they didn't reach out to the developer before starting a xBx port is bad video because that's how it comes out.
You feel really bad for the developer at this point? That's your take from this? Did you read the whole thread or just skim the OP? DF do rech out to devs on occasion and some of them are willing to aid their analysis and others thankful when bugs/issues are highlighted so that they might be rectified in future updates.

No, the only thing strange here is the bizarre over-reaction from the CEO if 34bigthings. Sad.
sorry/not sorry, fuck their trumpisms

Ok maybe we should take legal action against devs and publishers claiming their games are 4K when they are clearly not. Clear case of false advertising from pretty much the entire console industry.
Well this game never renders native 4k, so if guerrilla can be sued for kz hah

EDIT: typo

Last edited:

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some don't buy games from developers they don't want to support. If people think these developers are going overboard and being ridiculous, they might not want to give money to them in the future.

Same reason (albeit less drastic) why some people don't spend money on games with GG ties.

Well, extent of supposed boycott affects due to publisher actions outside of the game development is something we can't quantify. May happen, may not.

From my own perspective, usually the people who threaten to no longer support a product from a company...and actually follow through with it...are people who really had little interest in the product being offered to begin with.

I guess agree to disagree on the negative affect something like this will theoretically have.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't said the developers were the most honest in the earth, just to be clear. But really the whole video was focused on the 1080p chats. They never mentioned dynamic or whatever. That's why they should be more careful before talk about such stuff.

Oh yeah, I apologise for coming off too strong. You were of course referring to the DF.
But that's the mistake they've made indeed and it sometimes just happens.

again, sorry if I came of too strong with links and quotes. lol

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends were talking about buying this on pay day for multiplayer. Honestly 1080p and not quite 60fps wouldn't bother me, what does bother me however is this childish attitude and legal threats. I won't be buying Redout and I'm pretty sure my friends will have the same feeling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. They did fuck up and an amendment and an apology would've worked wonders; I haven't seen their analysis but folks are saying they amended it, no?

It's on their video, in the description:

UPDATE: Tip of the hat to VGTech, for confirming dynamic resolution scaling with a different shot selection. How the scaler works is something we'll take a look at, as even the simplest shots in our sample came in at native 1080p. Check out his work here: https://youtu.be/nOcdg7ZRB0k

Zone

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They wrote that "How the scaler works is something we'll take another look at, as even the simplest shots in our sample came in at native 1080p" in their update to the article, so updated video is probably coming.

Yeah, I read that in the article too. At the very least, remove the video for now. Hopefully they can update the scaler soon and won't come across any of these issues in the future, I really enjoy their videos and would hate for them to get any flak because of this small mistake.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All for it! I'm okay with someone standing up for themselves.
As long as you agree they should be sued right back for very blatant false advertising and much worse misinformation than d
DF, sure.
Yeah, I read that in the article too. At the very least, remove the video for now. Hopefully they can update the scaler soon and won't come across any of these issues in the future, I really enjoy their videos and would hate for them to get any flak because of this small mistake.
they are talking about the game resolution scaler, not their capture device.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I remember the Digital Foundry FFX HD analysis where they wrote about how it was 720p because they forgot to turn on 1080p in the system settings. Then they just added it as an addendum instead of rewriting the section and much later added comparison photos but for a long time all that was there was 720p screenshots of a 1080p game.

Basically they're not infallible, make silly screw ups and could do a better job rectifying them sometimes.

Also this dev went way too hard and made it worse for themselves. Never publicly threaten legal action.

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
Hopefully that really isn't a press release, because it reads like an emotional overreaction... which is like the opposite of what a press release should be.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

DF has built up plenty of trust over the years. Meanwhile, you have a dev that is immediately threatening a press outlet with lawsuits for simply reporting what it found, and giving exclusives to WCCFTech, a "media outlet" that is best known for running "reviews" of leaked beta software.

Makes ya wonder why DF gets the benefit of the doubt, doesn't it?

If the game runs at 1080p for the majority of the time, then it makes sense that DF would report that it runs at 1080p.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems the person who wrote the post calculated it this way:

50% of 3840 = 1920

50% of 2160 = 1080

-> 50% of 3840x2160 = 1920x1080

Of course that's not how this works lol.

maths is hard hahaha

stuff like this just reaffirms the need for places like DF, even if they sometimes make mistakes. devs aren't upfront about their rendering until a correction needs to be issued.

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
So this developer is admitting that their advertised "4K rendering" never actually reaches 4K, but does indeed go down to 1080p and they are the ones thinking about legal action? Unbelievable...

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My takeaway from all of this is that Redout's dynamic res scaling sucks.

Seems so. DF said straight up that they tried to get the game to scale past 1080p, but couldn't. They don't have a ton of man hours to put into one game on top of that. I can't imagine how much they would have to test to actually get it to go up. DF, in my eyes, are 100% innocent. Since the higher resolution seems to barely appear, it may as well be 1080p since I doubt the quick bumps are even detectable during gameplay.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
DF has built up plenty of trust over the years. Meanwhile, you have a dev that is immediately threatening a press outlet with lawsuits for simply reporting what it found, and giving exclusives to WCCFTech, a "media outlet" that is best known for running "reviews" of leaked beta software.

Makes ya wonder why DF gets the benefit of the doubt, doesn't it?

If the game runs at 1080p for the majority of the time, then it makes sense that DF would report that it runs at 1080p.
But they said it runs only at 1080p by the way eh. And they admitted to be wrong. What I'm trying to say that something not totally unexpectable from a company such reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.