• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the Dev is saying their game doesn't render at 1080p, except when it does. That's quite a "lie" by DF.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well they say in their own press release that it can drop down to 1080p and <45fps.

And if it's location dependent then DF could have easily picked spots that are always 1080p without ever knowing.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
wait does the game have a dynamic resolution to separate skus/tv resolution, or is it dynamic on X when it can't keep up with native 4K, it renders down?

ChasePettit

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, looks like this company bought all their twitter followers too.

Jeez what is with them.

I wasn't really trying to kick them while they're down or anything. It's just something I've been aware of for a long time now, and this seemed like an opportunity to mention it. I followed Redout's development on Twitter for a while and when you notice a big sudden spike in followers but not in engagement, it's kinda obvious that something is amiss.

Please don't sue me.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, it's not a "pure, straight lie". It's a mistake, and an easy mistake to make if it runs at 1080p for a large percentage of the time.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What an awful response from this developer. They themselves claim the resolution is dynamic and drops down to 1080p. Chances are DF tested a heavy scene which was 1080p much or all of the time, hence the confusion about it being 1080p instead of dynamic.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
So they can advertise 4k/60 when even they are acknowledging that it only hits 90% of native 4k at best, AND dips below 45fps, yet DF is only able to grab 1080p shots from a collection of tracks for their analysis and its DF that are the liars that need to be sued?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I must say a thing. I see the video analysis before this storm and honestly, most of the time the two redactors talked of the 1080p res and how could be possible such stuff when on Pro wasn't the case. They should be careful with such behavior because that's not totally unexplainable. This is a tiny company and we have to remind the two Xbox has a different RAM architecture. Port from ps4 to pro it's a lot more easy whatever MS claimed. I don't exclude some company with limited resources could encounter some trouble during the patch development. I think such analyze should be evaluate with extreme attention in the tone because I have to admit the whole video was too much focused to 'blame' the port and how much inexcusable is it the final result compared the pro version. That's something who puts in a bad light a company and obviously they have to react in some way.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Any indication of how often it runs at 1080p? The dev claiming 'fake news' (how embarrassing to use the term popularised bt DT) is funny when it seems like it's mostly 1080p because it's dropping frames in order to maintain 60fps.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
What an awful response from this developer. They themselves claim the resolution is dynamic and drops down to 1080p. Chances are DF tested a heavy scene which was 1080p much or all of the time, hence the confusion about it being 1080p instead of dynamic.

Yep. So apparently DF must pixel count dynamic res games by taking a screen shot of the floor with no AI around, then report that as the game's resolution.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt like to get called "lazy" and "incompetent", proceeds to call exactly that to DF staff. Really fucking classy. This dev is a dumbass and handled this extremely poorly.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
By 34's own admittance, they lied about the enhancement update being 4k@60fps, implemented a shoddy dynamic resolution that DF found to consistently scale down to 1080p everywhere they tested on One X having not known any details about how they implemented their dynamic resolution (because they never put that information out until now), and they can't keep FPS above 40 for anything. Contrast with the PS4 pro version having at least locked 60fps with higher res textures.

How is this DF's fault again? I'm going to keep calling out devs for being incompetent when it comes to development for Xbox and PC. They have no clue how to properly dev for DX12/Vulcan and are still dependent on old engines they don't want to put resources into to upgrade to better, more modern libraries. You don't get to lash out against your critics when you had every opportunity to fix your own mistakes, handle your PR better, get a community manager, and be more transparent about what you're doing.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like an insane approach. Like, why not reach out to DF I'm good faith and explain the issues and ask for a correction?

Cause this way gets more notice by gamers (this thread wouldn't exist otherwise)...rather than rely on a one sentence, stealth edit correction well after everyone who cares about the game already read the article.

That would be my guess.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cause this way gets more notice by gamers (this thread wouldn't exist otherwise)...rather than rely on a one sentence, stealth edit correction well after everyone who cares about the game already read the article.

That would be my guess.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they will come out of this "attention" with a more negative rep than they had going win.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DF probably messed up by not getting more samples and figuring out the dynamic resolution process, but it seems to me that the bigger story is admitting that it's currently scaling anywhere between 1080p and 4k, and that the game can drop in the 40s frequently when several AI s are on screen.

The story of the "real 4K, not like that other machine which is more like a 1S" continues, after 18 months of, in my opinion, continued hype and lies from the Microsoft marketing machine.
If only they had been clear that it would just be a $500 Pro coming out a year later (what the X really is) there probably woudn't be that big of a storm.
Anyways, the current level of performance will probably be improved over time.
Hopefully.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Digital Foundry's video was particularly mean-spirited then it may have warranted this response. But I found it to be professional as always, with the takeaway being that they are simply disappointed in the result given what the developer's promised improvements.

I think that 34BigThings is confusing Digital Foundry with all the immature console warriors who attacked them on Twitter.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they will come out of this "attention" with a more negative rep than they had going win.

Correct. Now these dev's are screwed, this game is screwed, and their future games are screwed. Anytime they do anything, the people that care about this stuff will remember them as the guys that threatened to sue Digital Foundry because their shitty Xbox One X patch got called out.

Reminds me of the guy that tried to sue Jim Sterling.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I must say a thing. I see the video analysis before this storm and honestly, most of the time the two redactors talked of the 1080p res and how could be possible such stuff when on Pro wasn't the case. They should be careful with such behavior because that's not totally unexplainable. This is a tiny company and we have to remind the two Xbox has a different RAM architecture. I don't exclude some company with limited resources could encounter some trouble during the patch development. I think such analyze should be evaluate with extreme attention in the tone because I have to admit the whole video was too much focused to 'blame' the port and how much inexcusable the final result compared the pro version.

But then as a developer you should take the higher road. It happened to Titanfall 2, where the X version was found to be worse than PS4 Pro.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-titanfall-2-xbox-one-x-performance-analysis

We shared comparison shots with Respawn as soon as the inconsistencies came to light and the team are looking into it, so fingers crossed that the issues are resolved in a future title update. Gameplay remains as good as ever and obviously, there is a night and day improvement over the base Xbox One version of the game, but as things stand, Sony's hardware seems to be offering the most consistent console experience overall right now.

Objectively the Pro was the better version at the time. Another Patch came out and then:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-has-respawn-fixed-titanfall-2-on-xbox-one-x

Titanfall 2's revamped patch provides improvements in other areas though. Performance is improved, with a much tighter lock to 60fps than either the pre-patch version or indeed the PlayStation 4 Pro release. The first campaign shoot-out - which could see X drop beneath Pro in terms of both resolution and frame-rate - shows much improvement, with both issues ironed out. A pleasant surprise is that cutscene frame-rates also lock to 60fps in the areas we tested. Generally, Respawn isn't quite so concerned about locking to 60fps in engine-driven cinematics, so there are drops on PS4 Pro and there were on Xbox One X. Microsoft's hardware now ploughs through the cutscenes we tested with no real issue.

Wow, they fixed it?

Granted, the developers of Redout are a smaller indie dev studio, so they may not be able to response that quickly.
But quickly going into a law suit, while what you were marketing for turned out untrue?
Now that's a bad look.

Digital foundry are not god's, but knowing that the game you've bought turned out to be something different is disappointing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any indication of how often it runs at 1080p? The dev claiming 'fake news' (how embarrassing to use the term popularised bt DT) is funny when it seems like it's mostly 1080p because it's dropping frames in order to maintain 60fps.

Agreed. Only just caught that they actually used the term fake news. Lol.

Yep. So apparently DF must pixel count dynamic res games by taking a screen shot of the floor with no AI around, then report that as the game's resolution.

Exactly, the expectation is absurd. The scene they tested was 1080p, as is their media. Clearly enough of their test examples were 1080p to fool them into thinking the game was in fact 1080p. One can hardly blame them.

Doesnt like to get called "lazy" and "incompetent", proceeds to call exactly that to DF staff. Really fucking classy. This dev is a dumbass and handled this extremely poorly.

The irony is evidently lost on them.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
DF probably messed up by not getting more samples and figuring out the dynamic resolution process, but it seems to me that the bigger story is admitting that it's currently scaling anywhere between 1080p and 4k, and that the game can drop in the 40s frequently when several AI s are on screen.

The story of the "real 4K, not like that other machine which is more like a 1S" continues, after 18 months of, in my opinion, continued hype and lies from the Microsoft marketing machine.
If only they had been clear that it would just be a $500 Pro coming out a year later (what the X really is) there probably woudn't be that big of a storm.
Anyways, the current level of performance will probably be improved over time.
Hopefully.
It actually renders between 1080P and 3456×1944 (which is 80% of 4k) then scales to 4k.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Completely unprofessional. Anybody who analyses games at this level for enough time is bound to get something wrong, and DF has earned themselves the benefit of the doubt over the years as being an outlet that operates in good faith. Mistakes happen, and this reaction is completely out of line.

I feel bad for John, Richard, Tom, and the rest of the crew at DF. They probably don't get enough appreciation for the good they do, and get too much flak when they get a detail wrong.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Correct. Now these dev's are screwed, this game is screwed, and their future games are screwed. Anytime they do anything, the people that care about this stuff will remember them as the guys that threatened to sue Digital Foundry because their shitty Xbox One X patch got called out.

Reminds me of the guy that tried to sue Jim Sterling.

Yeah, that's exactly my thoughts. This company comes off as shady and unprofessional, and the whole Trump rhetoric left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not touching their games ever.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Further reading yeah the company or at least the one who controls the social media account is an ass threatens to sue calls fake news and DF lazy, puts a *LOL* response on DF's youtube Video, has a large number of fake followers, childish immature and could have been handled in private with DF making a public statement rectifying the mistake - and to be fair the developer didn't initially claim dynamic res.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Ech. Publisher made a big mistake here - DF did not call devs "lazy", just made a mistake probably. And they are acusing them of "lying"? Come on. Just get in touch with them first before coming at them so aggresively.

BTW, buy Redout guys - it's AMAZING.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Only just caught that they actually used the term fake news. Lol.

Exactly, the expectation is absurd. The scene they tested was 1080p, as is their media. Clearly enough of their test examples were 1080p to fool them into thinking the game was in fact 1080p. One can hardly blame them.

The irony is evidently lost on them.
Yep. And the fact that tbey are selling the game saying its "4k60fps" in marketing when it very rarely reaches that... They are much worse. Blatant false advertising.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Takes a special kind of jerk to air a reasonable complaint in such a way as to come out looking dramatically the worse for it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ech. Publisher made a big mistake here - DF did not call devs "lazy", just made a mistake probably. And they are acusing them of "lying"? Come on. Just get in touch with them first before coming at them so aggresively.

BTW, buy Redout guys - it's AMAZING.

Their response doesn't make me want to buy this game.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But then as a developer you should take the higher road. It happened to Titanfall 2, where the X version was found to be worse than PS4 Pro.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-titanfall-2-xbox-one-x-performance-analysis

Objectively the Pro was the better version at the time. Another Patch came out and then:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-has-respawn-fixed-titanfall-2-on-xbox-one-x

Wow, they fixed it?

Granted, the developers of Redout are a smaller indie dev studio, so they may not be able to response that quickly.
But quickly going into a law suit, while what you were marketing for turned out untrue?
Now that's a bad look.

Digital foundry are not god's, but knowing that the game you've bought turned out to be something different is disappointing.
Well they claimed the game it was 1080p all the time. I'm not trying to defend the developers but you know, they should check a bit better before claim such stuff because that's something which put in a bad light the company job.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
Terrible response by the developers. I'll no longer be purchasing their game (was waiting on the Switch port).

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
We are currently looking into legal action to defend our public image. Not only because we dislike being called lazy or incompetent gratuitously, but also to send a message to the players and the industry. Gamedevs (indies especially) are amongst the most hard working people, to the point that burnout and crunch culture in game development are widespread. Really, just stop calling them lazy to the first hiccup. And don't fabricate excuses for calling them lazy. Ok? Thank you.

I watched the DF video and was thinking the same thing, it was a poor port, and now seeing this.. I really feel bad for the developer, this is where certain tech videos need to be QC better before actually posting finds, at least confirm with the developers first, I know DF does this so it's strange how they didn't reach out to the developer before starting a xBx port is bad video because that's how it comes out.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible and utterly unprofessional response. I can absolutely understand why developers would react emotionally and heated in a sitution like this, but calling an outlet like Digital Foundry "incompetent", "fake news" or implying they'd spread a "a lie" (implying DF is knowingly making wrong claims) is completely out of place in a press release.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic resolution is supposed to be "renders at (high res) and occasionally dips to (low res) to improve performance", not "runs at (low res) and occasionally bumps up to (high res) when performance allows it".

I also can't get a clear picture of who they're targeting with legal action... they keep saying things about the "lazy devs" statement, but DF did nothing of the kind. That'll hold up real well in a courtroom.

After this little hissy-fit, I'd like to see DF do an exhaustive analysis of the title, every frame for hours of gameplay, and determine exactly what percentage of gameplay is "4K" and how much is 1080p.

Zone

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely unprofessional. Anybody who analyses games at this level for enough time is bound to get something wrong, and DF has earned themselves the benefit of the doubt over the years as being an outlet that operates in good faith. Mistakes happen, and this reaction is completely out of line.

I feel bad for John, Richard, Tom, and the rest of the crew at DF. They probably don't get enough appreciation for the good they do, and get too much flak when they get a detail wrong.

Definitely unprofessional. Feel like the companies Social Media Community Manager is going at DF fullforce with it's Tweets and reaction. I do feel sorry for DF, mistakes happen and they've acknowledged it, but I feel like they should remove the video and re-up with the correct information. Your average joe gamer won't go back to the article or description for an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.