• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If this is true DF needs to have the balls and apologize. Their only job is to review technical aspects of a game. Getting the resolution clearly completely wrong is ... Really bad and unprofessional.

I mean - it's super obvious the game is not running in 1080p as the image quality is way too good for that on my 4K TV.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an honest mistake on the part of DF, based on the resolution of the captures.

They updated the article acknowledging this, but the CEO seems adamant that it should be sold as '4K@60fps' which clearly isn't the case at all.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't contacted DF before this response this is a terrible reaction imo. It is a different case if they did try that but DF ignored them.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
The post feels like a highly emotionally fuelled response.

I get that the developers would get bothered by people claiming they're lazy, but they should've looked at how they were marketing their product first:

I mean, if digitalfoundry makes a mistake in noticing that there is a dynamic Resolution and implying that it runs 1080p all the time. Who cares?
Why would you even market it and sell it as a product that would run at 4k@60fps. Moreover, the PS4 runs at a stable 60 fps whereas the more powerful console, the Xbox one X, can't even hold a stable 60fps.

Either be transparent in the beginning:

More specifically, we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080 [confirmed also by VG Tech].

Or delay the patch.

I get that they're an indie dev and maybe the twitter is handled by themselves, but they should not sell a product not up to the standard they're claiming it for.

Moreover calling DF's misjudgement Fake News....really?

Maybe we'll have footnotes with marketing in the future. 4k@60fps at this specific level and or moment.

Last edited:

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game looked fun in the DF video, was gonna pick it up for pro. Screw that though, threatening legal action over something like this is incredibly stupid.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
More like digital fallacy.. am I right ? * high fives *

But seriously when your claim to fame is being the number 1 source for fanboy fuel you better have your story correct or you will quickly be called out for it. Even if it was an honest mistake. It's just the nature of what they do.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Fake news?" Legal recourse? Nope. Nope nope nope. I didn't know who this developer was before today, but that response guarantees I'm never touching anything they're associated with.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Legal action from a small eurojank company that makes futuristic racing games? I'm shocked.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hard to communicate with a calm demeanor when your twitter is exploding with hate

You should never, ever, EVER, EVER pay attention to twitter comments if you want your sanity. The PR (or whoever is in charge of the Twitter) needs to avoid the noise, calmly post what you need to post, and let the noise drown out.

Also, Digital Foundry's got way more friends in the Industry than whoever these devs are. You're going to make everyone avoid you in case you pull the whole "legal action" shit again. In fact, I've yet to see a developer who retaliate against someone to be successful. The retaliation makes everyone (gamers, publishers, press) avoid you like a PLAGUE.

Here's a prediction: In exactly one year, they are going to complain that no one is reviewing or promoting their title or playing their title or mention their title or give them passes to dev events or E3 or getting front-page of Steam or XBOX or PS, etc etc. Its a cycle I've seen way too many times.

Zone

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overreaction by the developers? I think so. Should've just contacted DF, told them their information is wrong.

If I was DF, I would remove the video and then release an updated one. The average joe isn't going to watch that video and then hop back into the article and see if there is an update in regards to the resolution.

Gunner

Oct 29, 2017
And yet it is something that AAA devs/ publishers constantly face, and they still have to remain professional. It is possible ;)

No doubt. Just playing a little devils advocate here- dev wakes up, dev finds avalanche of vitriol based on a DF article that dev feels isn't accurate. Of course it's the intelligent move to contact DF privately to discuss, but when you feel like the public reception of your game is in flames because of their article, their reaction doesn't seem entirely off base.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A generic tweet saying "we are investigating the issues as reported and are looking to rectify them" would of been WAY better than the tweet that was sent out.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, looks like this company bought all their twitter followers too.

Jeez what is with them.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Also, from the comments section on the DF video. Very professional.

cjctZoi.png

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
So... It has the potential to run above 1080p sometimes, and DF didn't catch any shots where it did? And DF not finding any shots above 1080p makes them liars? Yeah whatever.

DF ain't at fault here and the developer can continue to pound sand if they want. They aren't helping their image at all.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A better response would have been for them to release a statement acknowledging the X framerate issues, advising on a future fix and also correcting DigitalFoundry on their error. That would have been a better use of their efforts here.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some gamers are so unbelievably pathetic. The entitlement in those tweets. Grow up, get a job, stop harassing people over irrelevant technical bullshit in your recreational activity.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Redout on xbox is ridiculous
They have no reason to point fingers to anyone else before fixing their own damn game

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I think the developers need to chill a little bit. Perhaps they should contact DF to see what the problem is (maybe a bug?), and try to resolve the situation peacefully and discretly. Being called things by people with way too much free time on their hands on the internet is nothing new, and every dev with a social media account should know how to address these situations, as they usually are easy targets for fanboys and the like.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
If there's been a mistake then that should be corrected, but I find 34BigThings calling DigitalFoundry liars (as in: claiming they are intentionally and purposefully spreading misinformation) and insinuating they are fabricating information to make people call them lazy (even looking into legal action for it) to be insulting and uncalled for considering their track record.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
See. More harm than good. They're going to appear crazy now. Everyone will put a microscope on them. Sucks for them but this is the sad reality.

It's also a great lesson for them as indie dev's.
DF has been one of the few channels for gamers who were our consistent source as to how games perform realistically. They provide a lot of information that you would not know and in this day and age, where developers seems to keep releasing patches it's good to see that what they promise is up to the standard of what they're telling people.

Are they god? No, of course not.

They've should've taken a step back, gone into silence like no man sky, and release a statement that they'll fix it. That's all.
They just escalated too quickly and made a large misjudgement, which may even affect their careers as developers and game studio in the future.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
But DF did not react with hate, only some players did.
If DF publicly releases information about a game which might happen to be false or at least misleading that can affect sales of said game.

That is probably why the developers are upset. There are financial ramifications for the developer and publisher, not so much for DF unless they are successfully sued if it reaches that point, so I can definitely understand why there would be a severe reaction from the developers/publisher.

Nothing looks clean here, everyone should be looking to correct the record.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I love DF, but I imagine if the developer is this adamant, they must know what they're talking about. I hope this can be resolved with an outcome that suits both sides.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the dev, shame on DF claiming its 1080p. I see these twitter reactions calling them "lazy devs, xbox x is 50% stronger than ps4 pro" This is causing a bad image and making people not want to buy their game and bad rep.

Digital foundry should of done their job better and maybe do a video update and apologize. I dont think legal action is necessary but I'm not a lawyer.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
More like digital fallacy.. am I right ? * high fives *

But seriously when your claim to fame is being the number 1 source for fanboy fuel you better have your story correct or you will quickly be called out for it. Even if it was an honest mistake. It's just the nature of what they do.
If they somehow managed to miss the patch or found the dynamic scaling presented them with a lot of 1080P to analyse then it's an honest mistake. the correct course of action would be to point this out to them, offer some guidance and work with them to correct the errors. Threats of legal action, "liars" and other such emotional responses, coupled with incorrect tech info of their own (90% rather than 80% and 50% rather than 25%) only sought to make an unsatisfactory situation much worse.

DF have and will respond as a professional outlet do, they've posted on the matter and will no doubt seek to re-work their analysis.

It's the fanboys themselves who are at fault here. I'm not sure those ranty xb1x owners on social media ever had any intention of buying the game in the first place, but heaven forbid a dev should release a game DF could find to be inforior to a (spit) ps4 pro equivalent. Unfortunately, for every person following DF for their analysis in a purely academic manner or to aid purchasing decisions between platforms, there's another using it, as you say, to fuel their bizarro fanboy agenda.

You should never, ever, EVER, EVER pay attention to twitter comments if you want your sanity.
And this couldn't be more true. Whenever you put your stuff out there, there will always be a subset of the audience revelling in tearing it and you to shreds. never engage directly, employ someone to buffer and filter the tide of opinion if possible or just keep your head down and ignore it all.

Theblackrain

Nov 8, 2017
Digital Foundry have become less reliable since the release of the Xbox One X in regards to pixel count. VGTech's analysis was spot on with the resolution yet two staff members at DF got it entirely wrong.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
See. More harm than good. They're going to appear crazy now. Everyone will put a microscope on them. Sucks for them but this is the sad reality.
Yeah you're probably right. They really should have sat on this for a day before posting and maybe they would have come to their senses a bit.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the dev, shame on DF claiming its 1080p. I see these twitter reactions calling them "lazy devs, xbox x is 50% stronger than ps4 pro" This is causing a bad image and making people not want to buy their game and bad rep.

Digital foundry should of done their job better and maybe do a video update and apologize. I dont think legal action is necessary but I'm not a lawyer.

They have video capture that proves their game sessions ran at 1080p. Why would they lie about this? Sure, it was probably a bug, but they just reported what they found.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous response. DF made a mistake, and they owned up to it. The footage they captured only rendered at 1080 due to the dynamic resolution. It's weird that it turned out that way, but it did. Mistakes happen. They didn't act malicious about it, the public did. That's no fault of DF. Claiming that they are trying to be clickbait or threatening legal action is petty and completely overboard for a generally trustworthy and well-intentioned channel like DF.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
"More specifically, we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080 [confirmed also by VG Tech]. More technical details on this will follow in the next days, when everybody will be back from holiday vacations but meanwhile let us spell it out: it's not 1080p"

So it does render at 1080p sometimes? I'd be interested to know how often.... I'd assume most of the time considering DF didn't pick up that it was dynamic and that the framerate is terrible.

As above the ridiculous response to this has ensured I'll never purchase one of their games, threatening legal action is a disaster for their public image.

Status
Not open for further replies.