• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
It feels so bizarre to think that this game was supposed to release last november. The delay was the right call and all, but it still feels like the game is years out at this point.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you're on about. There's pressure on 343i with respect to Halo Infinite, but there's no added pressure with these monthly updates - which is what you were originally referring to.

I have no idea how you'd say you're a longtime Halo fan and say you want a better Halo game and yet you're painting the picture that the only areas of controversy between certain vocal Halo fans and 343 relates to the visuals.

These Monthly updates will (apparently) initially focus on gameplay elements, mechanics, open world etc. all very important stuff

Oh my bad, got my wires crossed.

I just want them to focus on making the game, not having to provide a monthly update.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want this game to succeed. A few friends of mine have recently gotten back onto the Halo multiplayer train with MCC and it's been incredibly fun to revisit a lot of these maps and gametypes from a decade ago. Personally hope we'll see confirmation of that "super big team battle" mode that was rumored a little while back.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something else to look forward too. It's from yesterdays Cannon Fodder post:

And speaking of new armor before we go, in case for some reason you missed it, last month we dropped a pretty substantial bit of new info on Halo Infinite, all wrapped up in a pretty little bow in the December 2020 edition of the "Inside Infinite" development update. More than a few folks have already begun discussing thoughts and speculation about fiction-focused details surrounding the new armor elements shown off in the aforementioned feature.

Maybe we should talk about those sometime soon.

The competetive community is also awaiting the new "Designing the Halo esports ecosystem" blog post, which was announced in the Holiday Blog post and is supposed to go live in January:

Monthly Updates: Transparency, transparency, transparency. You want it, we need to deliver it. With COVID-19's impact and the delay to the game, we had to make a shift in our plans multiple times. Starting in January, we're going to be kicking off a new monthly blog series called, "Designing the Halo esports ecosystem." Each month we will dive into a particular piece of what our vision for Halo esports is. Over the course of the year and leading up to the release of the game, our goal is to paint a clear picture so you know what we're doing and why we're doing it.

Both of these aren't exactly indicating big Infinite updates, but at least there are updates about several aspects of the game.

It is time for a work in progress vidoc like we always had from Bungie you cowards šŸ˜­

I'm really curious if a Vidoc or The Sprint series even exists. Most of it would probably be pre-Covid, I imagine.

Been confirmed several times that they won't.

Oh my bad, got my wires crossed.

I just want them to focus on making the game, not having to provide a monthly update.

They can easily do both, especially if their community managers aren't occupied with something else.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Here's something else to look forward too. It's from yesterdays Cannon Fodder post:

The competetive community is also awaiting the new "Designing the Halo esports ecosystem" blog post, which was announced in the Holiday Blog post and is supposed to go live in January:

Both of these aren't exactly indicating big Infinite updates, but at least there are updates about several aspects of the game.

I'm really curious if a Vidoc or The Sprint series even exists. Most of it would probably be pre-Covid, I imagine.

Been confirmed several times that they won't.

They can easily do both, especially if their community managers aren't occupied with something else.

Nice, forgot about the esports update! I'm hugely excited for that to begin and all the drama around roster/org changes. Hopefully there could even be some "pre-season" tournaments during flighting too (in addition to the obvious twitch scrims - god I can't wait to have literally nightly halo to watch!)

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Update is out!

www.halowaypoint.com

INSIDE INFINITE ā€“ JANUARY 2021

<p>Hey everyone ā€“ ske7ch here wishing you a belated Happy New Year and welcoming you to the first ā€œInside Infiniteā€ of 2021! Before we dive in, I want to take a moment to share our plans for the next few months and our commitment to our community. Following last monthā€™s update, the start of the...

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
First read of this and I got stressed this was related to making Infinite a live service game, this industry has poisoned my brain and I hate it.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone want's to make a thread for this feel free, we will be getting one of these every month on the last Thursday.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Es21CULXIAIbxA0

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That concept art appears to support the theory that the hexagonal columns are the substructure of the landscape, made visible by damage to the ring. You can see them lining the inside of that massive crack in the landscape.

$10 says the explanation for the above-ground columns is going to be that they are a remnant of ages ago when Zeta Halo shed a bunch of damaged segments and shrank in size as a result. Those pieces of landscape didn't "fit" together seamlessly, hence the pillars being visible in those places.

It's possible we could also see reconfiguration of the ring in real-time within the game, as it repairs itself from whatever happened to it that we've seen in the trailers.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
As we look ahead to our launch this Fall, what is the Sandbox Team currently focused on? Can you speak briefly about the team's remaining work and priorities over the coming weeks and months?

QD
: Sandbox is super busy. We have everyone fixing bugs on our launch content and some exciting efforts kicking off for future updates ā€“ like new vehicles, equipment, etc. But we're pretty much playtesting a ton and looking for ways to polish and improve everything. All of our launch content is in-game and being played daily but it takes a strong effort to get something from 90% to a full 100% ship quality. So, we are pushing hard to squash bugs and tune our toys so they are in a good spot as we get closer and closer to launch (and public flighting before that). Additionally, we are taking time to evaluate the visuals of certain sandbox items with the goal of ensuring everything is landing the way the art directors envisioned. As a result, some sandbox items we've previously shown might be getting a facelift here and there by the time you see them again.

I can't wait to play this.

• "I've been excited to incorporate many of the graphical features we've developed over the last six months at the same time that we are refining the lighting and environment art for the world that we've already built. In earlier iterations, we were just getting the major components of the world to a fully-featured, playable state; but now we are reconsidering how they interact and improving what helps the world to be its most beautiful and intriguing. We are excited to share more soon!" ā€“ Josh Marvel, Senior Lighting Artist

They've been sure to include mentions about the improvement to the lighting and overall look of the game in back to back months, I expect this is something that will come together in a big way in time for E3.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
In those screenshots (?) of the weapons within the post, you can already see some visual changes to the guns from the gameplay demo, and more visible weathering.

Oct 25, 2017
These are the highlights of the update for me. Seems like a big focus in Infinite is more unique identity and use cases between different weapons and vehicles, and that's awesome.

Damage types was one of the feature sets that the weapons team decided to really go after. We felt that in order to achieve stronger weapon identity than previous titles, having another category of attributes that we can fold into our designs creates a stronger choice for players... Players should now have stronger choices presented to them... In addition to further clarity and purpose to the legacy damage types ā€“ i.e. kinetic and plasma ā€“ the team has also been pursuing new surprises for players that we're eager to talk about in the months ahead

Going over an area covered in rocky crags and fallen trees? The Warthog with its high ride height and large tires will eat it up. Going over a flat marsh covered with pockets of water? The antigrav of the Ghost will let you smoothly boost through it. Stuck in a canyon trying to get to a base? The Banshee makes it a quick up-and-over.

That stuff sounds fantastic.

Although I'm still hesitant about that new shotgun. Contrary to the above points, it sounds like it's been watered down and made more similar to the other weapons. The shotgun in halo is a beloved classic and I'm very hesitant to embrace this change. Are the days of hiding by the flag with a shotty dead? I definitely need more convincing but I'm open to being convinced.

Edit: Post #117 :)

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's from Halo Wars. Since it's a RTS the silhouette has to be exaggerated with those giant gas tanks so I doubt it'll look like that if it's indeed in Infinite but maybe something with the same idea.

I had no idea. I thought it was concept art for infinite. Halo just has a dope artstyle. Well, I didn't care for 4/5's aesthetic.