• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Makes sense. The next time we see the game it has to be pretty much finished and fully polished. Doesn't make sense to spend time and resources creating a new demo at this point.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
It's anyone's guess, but I read that as them "restarting" the marketing /messaging since the entire gameplay reveal turned into Craig the Brute memes.

I highly doubt they restarted development.
Kinda how I read it too.
I'm thinking they want to reset expectations. I never liked the marketing of "built from the ground up" so I'm hoping less of that. With the addition of some notable next gen improvements instead of just 4k60

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holiday 2021 and I'm expecting something big with each update
This game had a really insane and unprecedented delay, I need to see some good stuff

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Makes me wonder if they would have just released it at launch if it wasn't for the negative trailer reactions and craig memes.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I figured that this would be the case. There was no way based on their earlier comments that Halo Infinite would be ready for an early 2021 release. I'd expect it to be Holidays 2021 at the earliest at this point.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they don't change the core gameplay mechanics again, as the game looked just perfect in that aspect.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
They had a huge task to launch on 4 consoles and pc with a suite of features that pretty much no other AAA developer would even dream of commiting to. Covid put a huge spanner in the works and if it's true that the dev tools aren't quite ready for the Series consoles then that's no help either.

I only own a one X but want them to go exclusive to the Series consoles and delay to fall 2021.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Lost in the storm about how bad the Brutes look was how bad the Elites look. I like that they are more agile and slender again but the detail is just not there and their armor is too simple. The always on shield effect has to go too. It looks like they're in bubble wrap.
0mtwW5.png

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
We haven't heard of other development studios delaying their games or causing significant changes to their schedule due to Covid, just 343i, any idea why?
Demon's Souls arrived on time, AC Valhalla also, Miles Morales too, COD BLOPSCW the same, just not Halo Infinite.
Honest question, not trying to be rude.

For what we know CDPR has been delaying cyberpunk because of their bad management, not Covid.

I mean you can sum it up with:
  • 343 built a new proprietary engine which all the devs had to learn how to use
  • their workflows are rumoured to be pretty flawed and COVID just compounded it
  • After the Halo 5 reception they rebooted the game
  • Contractor turnover due to Microsoft's 1 year rule or whatever it is
  • First ever Halo to launch cross-gen (4 consoles) plus PC
  • And one has to imagine poor leadership

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they get a multiplayer beta out and early next year and then launch end of the year if possible. I feel like a lot of the work is on the campaign side with how to make an open world run at the level that people want to see for next gen games.

I'm sure they are still having to redo a ton of stuff but I feel like they can get that up and running to a decent place first and upgrade from there.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think I understand what they meant, in terms of resetting expectations and getting a new sidelight on the game, but "restarting" seems like an unfortunate choice of words.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
We haven't heard of other development studios delaying their games or causing significant changes to their schedule due to Covid, just 343i, any idea why?
Demon's Souls arrived on time, AC Valhalla also, Miles Morales too, COD BLOPSCW the same, just not Halo Infinite.

For what we know CDPR has been delaying cyberpunk because of their bad management, not Covid.
We have heard, you just haven't been listening.

Few notable examples

Wasteland 3: The game was scheduled to launch on Linux, PlayStation 4, Windows and Xbox One in Q4 2019. After Xbox Game Studios acquired the company, inXile hired more staff for the game's development and delayed its release date to early 2020. The game's budget was three times more than Wasteland 2. The additional budget was mostly spent on implementing conversational scenes and hiring voice actors. It was delayed again due to inXile's remote working conditions from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Outer Worlds: A Nintendo Switch version was originally scheduled to be released on March 6, 2020, but was delayed to June 5 due to issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ghost of Tsushima: The game was released for PlayStation 4 on July 17, 2020, having been delayed from its original June 26 release date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Deathloop: In August 2020, it was announced the game was delayed until Q2 2021 as development was impacted by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The Last of Us 2: Following some delays, partly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Last of Us Part II was released on June 19, 2020.

Kena Bridge of Spirits: In September 2020, Ember Lab delayed the game to Q1 2021, citing development delays as a result of working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tales of Arise: An entry in the Tales series, it was originally planned to release in 2020 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but was delayed to an unspecified date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

No More Heroes III: On September 9, 2020, the game was delayed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to know how a little bit of critique regarding visual stuff manifested as what sounds like a year's worth of re-work, at the very least. I realize that being laughed out of the room over your biggest IP hurts like a motherfucker, but honestly, what they had wasn't *that* bad, and a bit of spit and polish would have gone a long way with it. Instead they're sounding a bit like "actually, what we had was *way* fucking worse than you know, and we showed you our absolute *best* shit."

If that's the case, then, welp, I'm glad they're reworking it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I never understood why AAA companies feel the need to make every demo such an occasion. Just show a snippet of gameplay; I know research analysts may think that's not the proper way to market a game, but I think it's too situational to call. Yes, a staggered and planned reveal makes sense, but people want to see some damn (multiplayer) gameplay!

With that said, I realize 343 is in a unique situation. What they show next has to look significantly better than what they've shown.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I feel like Halo has "out Anthemed" Anthem. They didn't even get a chance to release 1.0 and are jumping right to 2.0.

Good luck, 343i. I don't have much faith but hopefully with the recent management changes you can pull a good game out of this fiasco.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'm still hopeful that the 2021 restart means they're still planning to follow through with early flighting/beta for MP to help shape the gameplay and balance.

EDIT: its unbelievable how many people took "restart" out of context in this thread. jesus

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC halo infinite is content complete campaign wise so they are really just polishing the visuals and effects and working on MP.
It can still release in fall 2021 say September 30th

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
i'm still hopeful that the 2021 restart means they're still planning to follow through with early flighting/beta for MP to help shape the gameplay and balance.

EDIT: its unbelievable how many people took "restart" out of context in this thread. jesus
I would love a beta too, but with the amount of crunch they are gonna go through i'm not sure if it'll be possible.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I can't even phantom the budget for this game. It's been in the works for 5 years now (including pre-production) and basically will have to have 2 marketing budgets (since a lot of the marketing/toys/etc... went forward this last few months).
They need a massive success or a lot of the 343 leadership will likely be cut off. Excited to have some deep reads on this game, crazy.

I was still hoping for a multiplayer beta this year, but if they are not doing that then I'm legit expecting Halo end of 2021.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Multiple big games have been delayed due to COVID this year, including Cyberpunk.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
It really sunk in for me the other day after setting up my Series X how enormous a miss this was / is / continues to be.

After setting up the X and trying a few games it really sunk in-- wow, there are literally zero 1st party launch games for this thing. My kids asked me 'so uh, what new games are there for it' and I was at a bit of a loss. Not that PS5 has had a massive launch, but between Demon's Souls, Miles Morales and the amazing pack in of Astro Bot the difference in launch experiences is quite stark.

I forget which thread I read it in, but someone likened the Series X to 'buying a new GPU for my PC' and I'm sad to say that's exactly how I feel. If Halo Infinite had been available (and very good, of course) it would have changed XSX launch feeling massively.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
happy its delayed until ready. but i have no reason to get a next-gen xbox until then.

edit: also hope they kill current-gen support

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC halo infinite is content complete campaign wise so they are really just polishing the visuals and effects and working on MP.
It can still release in fall 2021 say September 30th
It may have been content complete at the time they demo'd, but it seems the response has them going back and polishing everything, including the campaign.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they're referring to the marketing.

Next year is Halo's 20th anniversary, I'm almost 99% sure they're gonna get this out before the end of 2021 for that reason.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rather they take their time and make it look the way it was intended than have another showing like the first one.

Surprised people react kind of negative. Rather they take their time than force crunch to get it out quickly right? Especially the part about holidays gives me a good feeling that crunch is not happening which is a good thing.

Next time should be a stellar showing and they know it.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Lost in the storm about how bad the Brutes look was how bad the Elites look. I like that they are more agile and slender again but the detail is just not there and their armor is too simple. The always on shield effect has to go too. It looks like they're in bubble wrap.
0mtwW5.png

Hate this visual effect as well, I really prefer the way Bungie used to do in Halo CE/2/3/Reach, with the energy flowing trough the shield with some kind of electric/cloudy texture:

Even Halo 2 Anniversary did it really really well:

03aba1256732c80c1f9d8cf007d2ec2d.jpg

Something I do like, but also feel weirds about, is how the ennemis stick out of the environment so much. In some way, it's really nice because you can clearly differentiate the ennemis from the environment, but on the other hand, it feels like they really are out of place.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
It's frustrating that we aren't getting much information about where this game is developmentally, but if they need time to get it right then I get it. I want a good Halo game again—it's been too long.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Hate this visual effect as well, I really prefer the way Bungie used to do in Halo CE/2/3/Reach, with the energy flowing trough the shield with some kind of electric/cloudy texture:

Even Halo 2 Anniversary did it really really well:

03aba1256732c80c1f9d8cf007d2ec2d.jpg

Something I do like, but also feel weirds about, is how the ennemis stick out of the environment so much. In some way, it's really nice because you can clearly differentiate the ennemis from the environment, but on the other hand, it feels like they really are out of place.
They do have the electric effect when shot seen here:

My problem is you can see their shields at all times even when they're not being shot.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I'll echo others that the delay might be longer than initially anticipated.

If Infinite doesn't deliver, I think MS really needs to seriously consider gutting the management at 343. It's kinda crazy that Bonnie Ross, and the rest of upper management, still have jobs after so many stumbles. Halo 4's multiplayer direction rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way; Halo 5's campaign received a fair bit of criticism, the multiplayer reception seems to be split, it was light on content at launch, and had an entire mode revolving around loot boxes; Halo Wars 2 was less well received than its predecessor; and of course who can forget the absolute disaster of a launch the MCC had, a game collection that, while in a much better state today, still has a mountain of issues.

I love Halo but I'm cautiously optimistic about Infinite, and honestly, its not looking so good right now.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
They do have the electric effect when shot seen here:

I don't really see the electric effect, it just pops when the shield is out with an electric field, but the overall texture of the shield is just a glow effect, nothing similar to the one from the picture I showed.

Also yes, the fact that it's always displayed kind of ruin their look, agree.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
Only a fool think 343i gonna deliver. This studio is toast after this game gets out.

Oct 25, 2017
this is fine
im not gonna start asking again until maybe summer 2021
they can take their time
only reason id get real grumpy is if they missed holiday 2021