• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I've replayed all the Halo games on PC in the last couple of months with a buddy who has never played them. I had to explain that the only way for us to play Halo 5 on PC is through cloud streaming and using a controller. I really hope that Halo 5 either gets added to MCC on PC or is a standalone release because however divisive the game is, missing a numbered entry on PC stinks.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
It should be obvious that "finishing the game that's been in development for 6 fucking years and has already had major features delayed" is probably more important to the studio than porting to PC the game that the most vocal and annoying portion of the fanbase would end up loathing anyway. As a fan of Halo 5 I obviously would rather the game be fully on PC than not, but maybe y'all should take a step back and look at the larger context here.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
polish wasn't an issue for any of the games, IMO.

H5 had the least memorable levels- aside from Sanghelios, none made me want to replay.

All of the levels feel like player agency is constricted

The prometheans continued to be antithetical to fun gunfights. the Warden boss fights felt like a monument to that that sin.

the covenant AI seems to be have regressed on the dynamism - they were more predictable in exchange for having larger enemy numbers.

and the story was downright stupid.

All games before 4 were frustrating for me to play. Felt like games from the late 90s. Only 4 and 5 were actually satisfying to go through.

That's just how I feel as someone that is not into Halo generally.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite multiplayer gameplay is much tighter than Halo 5 MP, which I loved. As Halo 5 campaign is awful, I don't see any reason to play it once Infinite hit the shelves.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
All games before 4 were frustrating for me to play. Felt like games from the late 90s. Only 4 and 5 were actually satisfying to go through.

I guess I can kinds understand your point of view if you came in late. 4 and 5 have some quality of life improvements considering they came out later. But as someone who's been along for the whole ride, both of those games felt like steps back from what came before - missing the innovations that separated halos campaigns from others in the genre.

I would like to know what late 90s games you think played like Halos 1-3, many would say they were ground breaking.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_owujgnrXiG1t4wjzko3_r1_540.gifv

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
Also, side note: if the primary concern is that you might feel like you're gonna miss out on crucial plot elements, you'll be happy to know that the game that'll probably end up being far more critical to Infinite's plot is already on PC, it's called Halo Wars 2.

Dec 12, 2017
I genuinely don't understand these forums some times.

Encouraging and accepting games are not gonna be bought to a platform that already has 6 out of the 7 games available.
Gamers, more than anyone else, love getting burned by developers.

They have pretty much all hands on deck w/ Infinite right now, it makes complete sense.
MCC development was/is mostly outsourced besides season updates.

jedinagol

Jun 11, 2021
Not gonna pretend to absolutely love Halo 5, I never played the multiplayer because REQ packs totally turned me off of the idea. But I didn't think the campaign was AS bad as some people seem to think. Definitely the weakest in the series sure but the gameplay was super solid imo and the game looks/sounds absolutely beautiful especially in 4K on Xbox One X.

Anyways I think it would be a shame to not have the game eventually come to PC mainly because quite literally every other Halo game is available on PC at this point; even both of those weird top down spin offs, one of which is not even available on Xbox consoles.

The other thing I hope for one day is for Halo Wars 2 to specifically come to Steam. I prefer to have my Microsoft games there as opposed to the Xbox apps/Microsoft store or whatever.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I would like it to be on PC just for consistency. Having every Halo game (even freaking Spartan Strike) on PC except 5 is odd.

Not to mention 5 is directly related to Infinite even if 343i is trying to avoid it.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't understand these forums some times.

Encouraging and accepting games are not gonna be bought to a platform that already has 6 out of the 7 games available.
We're not saying "don't ever bring it to PC", don't be obtuse. The argument is "hey maybe they should focus on finishing their biggest project to date first before porting the game."

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they inherited Halo from Bungie might as well inherit the stupid idea of blocking people from playing the full campaign story to catch up too.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's a question of when, not if. Probably won't happen for a long time, though. Certainly not while Infinite has the spotlight.

Couple years down the road we'll probably get a port that heavily plays up the multiplayer aspect. 2025 (H5's 10th anniversary) would be my guess.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I 100% assumed it was for Halo 5 build on PC already, which is Halo 5 at it's core, it's just a limited version of it, you can still play MP with people.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Lies. It has aged like a fine wine. I bet you use an AR lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Get sniped of Hang 'Em High, nerd.
What a weird ass response.

People who have quoted me have respectfully disagreed with what I said and explained why. Nothing to really talk about since it's their opinion and I disagree so.

And then we have a post like this. Some real "gamers rise up" energy

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird ass response.

People who have quoted me have respectfully disagreed with what I said and explained why. Nothing to really talk about since it's their opinion and I disagree so.

And then we have a post like this. Some real "gamers rise up" energy

I respectfully disagree with you then. Because I bet I can beat you in a 1v1.

What say you.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
This really sucks, both because it offers an amazing Halo Multiplayer experience, and because PC players will be missing a key mainline story entry before Infinite launches. I have to wonder if their reluctance to release it is a technical complication or pure Cost/Return ratio concern

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is the right call, doesnt feel right to play Halo games on PC, feels way better on a xbox console, just like it doesnt feel right to play Final Fantasy games on XBOX, Final Fantasy games should only be played on Playstation consoles.

:D

Nov 14, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn wasn't an easy port even though Death Stranding on PC was much better while using the same engine.
Not saying there couldn't/wouldn't be a lot of work in fully porting H5 to PC, but we're not talking about a different game using the same engine already running on PC, but H5 itself, which has a fully functioning forge and custom multiplayer port on PC already.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really don't think they should be worrying about another massive project right now, at least not until Infinite's co-op and Forge are out. I definitely think Halo 5 needs to come to PC eventually, but now isn't the best time to dive into a project like that.

2023 might be a good time.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
i mean the focus is on launching infinite and continued support of MCC.
Down the line 5 is possible to be added but not till you know...they actually have time and money to actually do that

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

4 and 5's campaigns were the least satisfying ones to play, 5 especially. I like how the Bungie games never felt like they truly dropped their roots of being a 90s shooter.

That's how I feel as someone that is into Halo generally.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really want it. I play MCC regularly and don't touch 4 at all. Awful game. Reach underrated. Come at me

Hoddi

Mar 29, 2021
It's disappointing but not really unexpected. I haven't played any of these games since Halo 3 but I wanted to get up to speed before Infinite.

It does give me an excuse to buy a Series S though. I've been eyeing it for a while and still use an old 1080p plasma for my consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
strange situation to have H1, H2, H3, ODST, HR, H4 and H6 all on pc but exclusively not H5
especially considering h5 is already like halfway on pc
I know they're busy at the moment but this is an unfortunate outcome
hopefully something they could rectify someday

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If 343 has a legacy team that can still pump out maps and armor skins for Halo 3 as of a couple weeks ago, surely someone there can push out the code for 5 onto Steam.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The biggest issue with this for sure is that Infinite directly follows the 5 storyline, even if 5 is seen as terrible it seems like you still need to know what happened. If Infinite was a reboot then this wouldn't be an issue at all

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats fine. Finish and make Infinite worth it.

Ill watch a youtube summary and It will save me the shitshow of going through that campaign again.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
I also am annoyed I can't complete the Halo 5 campaign on PC before Infinite, but it is what it is. The blame lies with whoever decided to do these stupid half steps like Halo 5 Forge and Forza 6 Apex as opposed to releasing the exact same games that were on XBOne.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I also am annoyed I can't complete the Halo 5 campaign on PC before Infinite, but it is what it is. The blame lies with whoever decided to do these stupid half steps like Halo 5 Forge and Forza 6 Apex as opposed to releasing the exact same games that were on XBOne.
while not ideal there's always streaming it via the xbox app on PC

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
It would have been nice to have the entire collection on PC. The Xbox one was basically a Halo 5 machine for me, and I really enjoyed my time with it, I have MCC on PC now, and while I still love the older titles, the games just don't cooperate with my internet for some reason, and I find them a bit harder to enjoy now than when I had them on 360 just due to all the other great games that have come out since then, Halo feels so slow now compared to the games I usually play.