• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
Remember Doom looked like it was going to be an absolute mess leading up to it's release, All the news coming out about that game suggested it was going to be a dumpster fire and look how it turned out.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel like people want this to end up being a doom and gloom story more than anything.

And yes, if there was serious trouble they wouldn't say anything about it. You're not clever for saying "well it's not like they're going to say it's bad."

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The CM is doing his job but such departures usually signal a development hell.
We ll find out eventually if that is true or not.
Sometimes people who are very high up get once-in-a-lifetime opportunities at other studios or organizations and they leave to take them. This is an actual thing and not some cliche because there are only so many creative director and / or (lead/senior/exec) producer roles in this industry. If you miss your chance to take a role on Project X the ship sails without you. Sometimes folks wrap up the work they have on the most immediate milestone and then leave. It's not uncommon.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel like people want this to end up being a doom and gloom story more than anything.

And yes, if there was serious trouble they wouldn't say anything about it. You're not clever for saying "well it's not like they're going to say it's bad."

Yup, and on reseter it's obvious people here want 343i to fail just to feed the console wars some more.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They literally can't win. People just rampantly speculate without any actual evidence or info and then if they say nothing, "chaos confirmed". If they say something "of course they'd say everything is fine, chaos confirmed". Like fuck, guys, wait for the finished product to judge. Go outside and take a minute.
What else do you expect of children

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
1aa5c51df5a7fffb26233a2193933aa8.gif

I don't think their departures mean much of anything about the status of Halo Infinite, I just really wanted to use this .gif.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not his job. Companies usually don't comment on departures so it's sad they have to try to quell doom and gloom. People read way too much into gaming industry turnover.
It had the fan base riled up, so it makes sense that they decided to offer an official comment. Similar to how Naughty Dog responded when people were freaking out about TLOU2 not having multiplayer.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It had the fan base riled up, so it makes sense that they decided to offer an official comment. Similar to how Naughty Dog responded when people were freaking out about TLOU2 not having multiplayer.
IIRC there are California labor laws that prevent an employer from commenting on why an employee departs a company, not to mention it's generally pretty unprofessional for either party to talk about a departure, so it's kind of lame that they had to do it to calm the community (lame of the community, that is). It's definitely not something taken lightly. Plus, I doubt either person really wanted this sort of spotlight on them leaving.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm excited about Halo Infinite, but I don't think there is any way to spin two leaders of the project departing a year from the ship date as anything but concerning.

I truly believe there is a lot of talent at 343, and I was very impressed with aspects of Halo 4/5, so I still have faith they can deliver something awesome with Infinite.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
All of these concern trolls will suddenly have no opinions to share when Halo Infinite has a good showing at events and gets good reviews, just like all the folks who were so concerned with Gears 5 showing it's campaign late.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Im someone who could not care less about Halo or the Xbox brand at this point, Halo died for me after Reach closed it off definitively. And despite loving halo 2 anniversary, halo 4 and 5 as new installments have done nothing to inspire confidence IMO.

With that being said however, i say with confidence that all the concern trolling at this game is silly. If the game is going through dev woes, its going through dev woes, if its not its not. The only real way to find out is to wait until launch and see how the end product is.

What's the point of getting worried about it before then? There have been plenty of games that went through tumultuous cycles. And while its more likely that a game going through issues in development will have it show in the product being good or bad,its not anywhere near a guarantee.

Just wait for the game to come out, then you can decide if the rumors you've been hearing are borne out

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Okay so, how often is it necessary for a community manager to come out and pour water on a fire like this? I hope they realize that only creates more smoke.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Im someone who could not care less about Halo or the Xbox brand at this point, Halo died for me after Reach closed it off definitively. And despite loving halo 2 anniversary, halo 4 and 5 as new installments have done nothing to inspire confidence IMO.

With that being said however, i say with confidence that all the concern trolling at this game is silly. If the game is going through dev woes, its going through dev woes, if its not its not. The only real way to find out is to wait until launch and see how the end product is.

What's the point of getting worried about it before then? There have been plenty of games that went through tumultuous cycles. And while its more likely that a game going through issues in development will have it show in the product being good or bad,its not anywhere near a guarantee.

Just wait for the game to come out, then you can decide if the rumors you've been hearing are borne out
Perfect example here is DOOM

Oct 25, 2017
All of these concern trolls will suddenly have no opinions to share when Halo Infinite has a good showing at events and gets good reviews, just like all the folks who were so concerned with Gears 5 showing it's campaign late.

This is common when a lead leaves. Remember all the doom when Hennig left Naughty Dog?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a mass thread of people saying Sony is in turmoil because of their latest departure right before PS5? If not it tells you all you need to know really.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Not really as I don't really care for the Uncharted games and didn't follow the news.
....he means in general for lots of people and you as one individual case is not what he's talking about. come on man, you know better than that, or at least you should but this entire thread is concern trolling so I shouldn't expect more at this point

Is there a mass thread of people saying Sony is in turmoil because of their latest departure right before PS5? If not it tells you all you need to know really.
100% this.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
....he means in general for lots of people and you as one individual case is not what he's talking about. come on man, you know better than that, or at least you should but this entire thread is concern trolling so I shouldn't expect more at this point
They asked if I remember, and I don't remember because I wasn't involved in the conversation.

I get it though, concern trolling and proxy console warring happens all the time so it's fine in this case too, I guess.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First post and already we've got armchair devs in here saying what is and isn't worrying.

Guess we need something Xbox related to concern troll about this week.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My take :To me it's a bit weird that these high profile positions are leaving only 12 months before launch and don't want next halo (ms tent pole franchise )to be in their resume . Like who leaves halo infinite to go and work in a new studio with zero track record ?its a bit odd imo
Isn't moving from a higher up role to a smaller, unproven studio a reeeeally common track?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Funny how this thread, a direct response from 343, has a fraction of the activity of the other thread. I wonder why...

And who'd have thought, it turns out no-news was... No-news. The game is a year out and they have alot to show.

I have no reason to be worried or even concerned, especially as while the narrative was weak, halo 5 was still fun to play.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really a big deal for a CD to leave a company when the game is largely finished anyway?
In what universe is a game "largely finished" a year before release? Most games, especially first iterations/conceptual reboots in the AAA space, don't come together until the final 6 - 12 months of development.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Cm's job is to manage the community so of course he'd say this regardless of what actually happened. Whether or not the game is a mess will be clear when it comes out, but based on 343's track record, I have very low expectations.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Cm's job is to manage the community so of course he'd say this regardless of what actually happened. Whether or not the game is a mess will be clear when it comes out, but based on 343's track record, I have very low expectations.

It is not the Community Managers job to talk about the reasons why former employees have left the company.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
In what universe is a game "largely finished" a year before release? Most games, especially first iterations/conceptual reboots in the AAA space, don't come together until the final 6 - 12 months of development.

While we don't know the full story, if 343 never placed anyone in Longo's vacant CD position, it would imply that their campaign is far enough along that he and that position was no longer needed.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Is it really a big deal for a CD to leave a company when the game is largely finished anyway?

Yes, that never happens like ever. Creative director is a super important management position. Aka Cory Barlog, Neil druckman. If they left with a year left till release that would indicate an issue internally. Ether it be direction, or creative differences. Sounds like in this case creative differences since he was the same director for Halo 5, and that game is divisive.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is not the Community Managers job to talk about the reasons why former employees have left the company.

It's the community manager's job to manage the community.

It seems like complete PR too. Microsoft put out a statement that Mary would lead the campaign.

kotaku.com

Halo Infinite Creative Director Leaves Company

Tim Longo, creative director for the upcoming Halo Infinite, left developer 343 Industries this week, Kotaku has learned. It’s part of a leadership shakeup that arrives late in the development of the next Halo game, which is scheduled for release in fall 2020.

Having her leave so shortly after stepping into the role is not good at all.

Last edited: