• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all – I wanted to jump in and clarify what Tim & Mary's roles were at the studio, because there seems to be quite a bit of confusion here. Before that happens though, I'd like to reassure everyone that the entire Halo Infinite team is rallying behind the game and is working hard to make sure we can execute on its vision.
Tim's role as Creative Director was to help make creative decisions around the design and direction of the game – whether it was campaign, multiplayer, etc. Mary's role as an Executive Producer and then Lead Producer on Campaign was to help drive the game to its completion for our holiday 2020 release date – with the latter specifically focusing on campaign deliverables.

Unfortunately the thread's title saying, "He was replace with Mary Olson and she also left," is far from accurate. It implies that Mary took over creative control of the entire game, didn't like what she saw, and then decided to leave. If that's what actually happened, I could totally understand getting worried – but that isn't the case, as she was a Lead Producer and not a new Creative Director.
Producers at our studio support designers, engineers, artists, etc. by helping each of them track and hit deliverables. They also ensure the people they support are not overwhelmed with too much work and have all the tools and information needed to hit their deadlines. To put it simply, producers are the ones tasked with making sure the studio is always moving forward – even our Community Team has a producer to ensure we're tracking our deliverables; blogs, social media posts, flighting emails, and whatever pops up in between.

Since Tim and Mary were friends of mine, I'm sad that I don't get to see them as often, but I'm happy to see both of them doing well. Mary joining Josh Holmes at Midwinter is nothing short of exciting news for me, because I'm eager to give Scavengers another go soon (I played it at E3 and thoroughly enjoyed it). And, funny enough, I actually just bumped into Tim the other night at the theater for opening night of the Joker :)

TL;DR: Title is super misleading, there is no creative dilemma inside the studio, and there's no writing on the walls.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean, they're not going to say "PLEASE BE WORRIED EVERYTHING IS CHAOS". It's definitely weird to have two higher ups leave a year before the launch of arguably the most important game of XGS.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Is it really a big deal for a CD to leave a company when the game is largely finished anyway?

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
07-minister.jpg

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We really don't know if it's concerning or not all these people leaving but him saying everything is fine is kinda his job . We will find out in the next Jason book

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
OK but can we pretend that the sky is still falling?

Repeat after me, kids: B-O! M-B-A! This game will suck in every way!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
We really don't know if it's concerning or not all these people leaving but him saying everything is fine is kinda his job . We will find out in the next Jason book
It's not his job. Companies usually don't comment on departures so it's sad they have to try to quell doom and gloom. People read way too much into gaming industry turnover.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just show us a new screenshot or a short game play tease and never talk about it again :D

It's nice that they are being open as possible. We really have no idea. Good luck to all involved on current and new adventures.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It would have been better to keep quiet, that works. Look how Shawn Layden was fired and the reaction was that everything is fine. Clarifying things only generate preoupacion.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
To be honest you can read too much or too little into any individual or even small series of departures. Talented people get other offers, they may leave a position for a number of reasons many of which are nothing to do with their current employers (my brother left his dream job when my father got seriously ill because he needed something more flexible with less travel: he did get it back when my father passed). I've left places because the environment was toxic, I've left places where I've liked the job and the pay because another opportunity or role was simply a better offer.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He is probably right but this is probably something they shouldn't address cause it will fan the flames and validate silliness

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its sad that this had to be addressed and even sadder that people will think its even worse now lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My take :To me it's a bit weird that these high profile positions are leaving only 12 months before launch and don't want next halo (ms tent pole franchise )to be in their resume . Like who leaves halo infinite to go and work in a new studio with zero track record ?its a bit odd imo

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That is one long winded explanation that you would think a major company would avoid doing. The old "nothing to see here" never works, and just makes you look like you got more issues. Don't worry about message board chatter, we're gonna talk cause that's what we do, worry about your game. It's a damn shame I have to explain this to a company as big as Microsoft in 2019.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
While I doubt there's any issues going on with Halo: Infinite. That was a very long post that effectively answered nothing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all worry too much. Let them show us the product again before freaking out over some employees leaving for various reasons.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I mean, they're not going to say "PLEASE BE WORRIED EVERYTHING IS CHAOS". It's definitely weird to have two higher ups leave a year before the launch of arguably the most important game of XGS.
Sure. But if there were genuine issues, we wouldn't have seen any comment at all. It's really not Microsoft's style. We would have had the 'we do not comment on speculation' spiel at best.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My take :To me it's a bit weird that these high profile positions are leaving only 12 months before launch and don't want next halo (ms tent pole franchise )to be in their resume . Like who leaves halo infinite to go and work in a new studio with zero track record ?its a bit odd imo
How is that odd? I've left positions at major companies to go and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Sometimes it's nice to be more than a number, to have greater influence over a smaller project. Sometimes it's nice to work in a smaller community, without the politics and red tape of the the major corps.

And HI has been in development for 4 years already, most of the creative and design work is done. HI is already on their resume. If the dream job comes along now, why sit around for a year only to find that opportunity no longer exists?

I swear some of you have never had an actual job or career, because these things are just everyday life in the working world.

These people are in real life, not a gaming forum.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Ya people read way to much into these career changes.
When you have 500+ employees there's gunna be plenty of turnover. Frankie, and Bonnie have been there since inception and Chris lee the lead on infinite is still there. Those are the 3 most important spot.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I still don't understand why some people here made such a mountain out of this molehill.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is that odd? I've left positions at major companies to go and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Sometimes it's nice to be more than a number, to have greater influence over a smaller project. Sometimes it's nice to work in a smaller community, without the politics and red tape of the the major corps.

And HI has been in development for 4 years already, most of the creative and design work is done. HI is already on their resume. If the dream job comes along now, why sit around for a year only to find that opportunity no longer exists?

I swear some of you have never had an actual job or career, because these things are just everyday life in the working world.

These people are in real life, not a gaming forum.
I m a project manager in a firm but what u say is very short sighted .
If I m working as a project manager in say General Electric I would not let that go and start working in mama papa electronic shop. I have to think about my life after that position and having a long successful experience in General Electric will help me much more to land a better job in future and advance my career . However after mama papa shop I have to look much harder for job and would be hit with 100 of question IF they accept my experience there as they don't know the company and how the organizational structure is set there .Sure I would get maybe more influence and freedom in mama papa shop but my career would not advance as fast a successful long employment at General Electric .

Please next time do not generalize saying that you people don't work when u have no idea about the other person, in an attempt to put yourself at a higher moral ground in the discussion . It just comes off very unpleasant. Thanks

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Company assures people that it is in fact not something to panic about, in other news, grass is green, water is wet.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
A lot of people.
Going from big to small is very common for senior level folks, especially if they're chasing stock options.

Once you're financially secure you can take big risks like working at a startup.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people.
Going from big to small is very common for senior level folks, especially if they're chasing stock options.

Once you're financially secure you can take big risks like working at a startup.
Hmm for senior positions of above 15 20 years experience you might be correct.hadnt thought about it that way .thank you for the insight .appreciated :)

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
If I m working as a project manager in say General Electric I would not let that go and start working in mama papa electronic shop. I have to think about my life after that position and having a long successful experience in General Electric will help me much more to land a better job in future and advance my career . However after mama papa shop I have to look much harder for job and would be hit with 100 of question IF they accept my experience there as they don't know the company and how the organizational structure is set there .Sure I would get maybe more influence and freedom in mama papa shop but my career would not advance as fast a successful long employment at General Electric .

Please next time do not generalize saying that you people don't work when u have no idea about the other person, in an attempt to put yourself at a higher moral ground in the discussion . It just comes off very unpleasant. Thanks
This is some asinine nonsense.

Mary Olson has been at 343 for at least 7 years so who is to say Head of Production at this new studio isn't her 'advancing her career'.

People change jobs for dozens of different reasons. It could be money, family, location, preferred coworkers or as mentioned above the ability to get in at the ground floor of a brand new company where they can set the direction and have a financial stake in the outcome.

Of course it could be a sign of issues @ 343 but there really isn't anything to indicate as such.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Actually, hopping companies is the fastest way of advancement nowadays.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is some asinine nonsense.

Mary Olson has been at 343 for at least 7 years so who is to say Head of Production at this new studio isn't her 'advancing her career'.

People change jobs for dozens of different reasons. It could be money, family, location, preferred coworkers or as mentioned above the ability to get in at the ground floor of a brand new company where they can set the direction and have a financial stake in the outcome.

Of course it could be a sign of issues but there really isn't anything to indicate as such.
Oh my mistake I thought she was there for 2 months only and then left . Apologies

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have to say anything. Don't let internet nerds tell you to be concerned. Very few know what goes on behind making a game. Judge the end product. There's a lot of crazy ass assumptions going on here.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my mistake I thought she was there for 2 months only and then left . Apologies
Very ironic that you said this:

It is fitting that the "G" in your username is capitalized.

Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
They literally can't win. People just rampantly speculate without any actual evidence or info and then if they say nothing, "chaos confirmed". If they say something "of course they'd say everything is fine, chaos confirmed". Like fuck, guys, wait for the finished product to judge. Go outside and take a minute.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

I'm just waiting for the news drop on this topic to make things clear.